As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Yeah with the number of weapons in the game there should be more than a dozen normal max stones and the half dozen or so somber ones.

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I would like to say that playing Dark Souls 1 again and holy shit despite having a very definite idea of what I'm aiming for (I have the Claymore, aiming for +15 with it) the lack of respec gives me quite incredible stress every time I level up.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I feel kind of guilty because for the last half of the game I’ve been picking up more and more summons that I never use

But on the other hand my current favorites were one that I found while on an epic quest to the underworld, and another I spent a couple days fighting her mother in prison for.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i actually like the idea of summons, i just wish they weren't so disruptive to the gameplay

it's objectively cool to conjure a black knife or a dung eater, but then the boss AI shits all over itself and there ain't no fight

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Summoner as a build archtype would be cooler imo. Make them shorter lived, kinda like lingering spells you have to recast, scale them with a stat, etc. I'd play a fullblown necromancer through the game for sure.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Elendil wrote: »
    i actually like the idea of summons, i just wish they weren't so disruptive to the gameplay

it's objectively cool to conjure a black knife or a dung eater, but then the boss AI shits all over itself and there ain't no fight

If the bosses adopted new patterns or something, more sweeping strikes and blasts that take down multiple targets and make it harder to approach from a flanking angle, I'd love it.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited January 2023
    If you want a challenge just drag the mobs to the door of the boss then summon right next to the door. Majority of the time the summon will sit there running at the door. Sometimes, as shown in BB they will trap you in the door and let the boss curb stomp you heh.

It is a system that is tough to balance though yeah. People just dogpile on the obvious ones and dont seem to try out some of the otehr ones heh. Lathenna was a fun one. She dies in a few hits but will mortar the shit out of things. The upgraded Jelly fish has a decent tank on it and will poison. The skeleton one with the three of them you have to hit twice can be a really good tank even though they die pretty quickly because the summon has to be hit twice and mobs generally leave them alone when they "die" the first time. The eagle looked to be as annoying for bosses as it is to fight yourself lol.

Jubal77 on
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    There's a support summon or two I've meant to experiment with for dealing with certain stupid encounters (i.e. multibosses) without trying to break the AI too much. I think there's one that gives you barriers, for example?

I really wanted to like the eagle summon but every time I used it the result was basically that scene in Tinker Tailor where Jim Prideaux takes out an owl with one swift decisive hit.

Coming up on the end of Crumbum Farum

Remembered one of the divine towers looked like you could drop down into the interior so i gave it a whirl and after only a dozen deaths by falling i now have just the sickest greatsword

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

It remains weird to me how people say summons make there be no fight. I had zero qualms about summoning and I still had an absolute fuck of a time with Elden Ring. Like, I just beat DS2 again. Godrick *with* a summon is a way harder fight than Fume Knight ever was, let's not get into the actually hard fights.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    My one problem with summons is that even more than weapons levelling them makes a _huge_ difference to their performance and so really hard to compare new summons to your currently levelled summon.

I remember taking on Astel with the Marionette Soldiers at some low +lvl and getting no where - levelling the soldiers just one more time turned them into a non-stop turbo damage over time that made the fight so much easier.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I feel kind of guilty because for the last half of the game I’ve been picking up more and more summons that I never use

But on the other hand my current favorites were one that I found while on an epic quest to the underworld, and another I spent a couple days fighting her mother in prison for.

They definitely padded the fuck out of the summon list with a bunch of largely similar forgettable dudes to help fill out more treasure in the world

BahamutZERO.gif
    This game sold ridiculously well. More than double what DS3 sold in its first year. Without sitting next to Miyazaki and watching him work, I am 99% certain they are making DLC.

Sure you'd think so, but we're coming up on the 1 year release anniversary in February with not a single peep or non-debunked rumor about it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I'm nearly done with my DS2 experience. The first and second DLC are done and I'm pretty far into the third from what I can tell.

Fume Knight absolutely lived up to the hype, that was a great battle and finally one to keep me on my toes with real challenge! I died several times, some of them after going so far without taking a hit but then I'd inevitably slip up and get killed.

Overall I'm enjoying my time with DS2. It's a mess in terms of balance and boss design, just all over the place, but I think I'm enjoying the presentation of the story and characters much more than DS1.

Are you doing the challenge areas+fights in the DLC? Gank squad, magic smelter, Sir Alonne, etc?

Yeah, done each of those except Alonne so far, though I didn't realize they were challenge areas. I definitely needed NPC summons for the gank squad, and the magic smelter was rough only for the run up to it.

I don't know that NPC summons in DS2 should be thought of as unfair, depending on the fight. I found Fume Knight to be much harder with the nearby summon because my damage output was so much lower and they kept getting in the way of my dodge rolls. Some fights they're enough of a distraction that it gives me precious moments to heal up before going back in, but even then the damage output is pretty well balanced in having the support.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Fume Knight is a great example of a boss who's harder when you summon help in many cases. If you summon a strong player who won't get tagged by a leaping attack and leave you hanging, you might be better off than soloing, but that extra health is killer.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

They definitely padded the fuck out of the summon list with a bunch of largely similar forgettable dudes to help fill out more treasure in the world

True, but the god-tier summons like Tiche and Mimic overshadow the fact that there are still some very useful and fun mid-tear summons. The greatshield soldiers can be buffed with golden vow to make them even more durable and they can lock down abductor virgins practically forever. I also like the banished knights as they can tank and aggro without smoking the target for you like Tiche can.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    The ease of respec in ER was great im just kind of sad it is capped per run heh.... but if there is a game where it makes sense to cap respecs it is souls/ER just sucks in the souls line heh.

Capped? What do you mean? You can farm the material for respec

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    This game sold ridiculously well. More than double what DS3 sold in its first year. Without sitting next to Miyazaki and watching him work, I am 99% certain they are making DLC.

Sure you'd think so, but we're coming up on the 1 year release anniversary in February with not a single peep or non-debunked rumor about it.

In 1.07, From added 30 of the same slots reserved for bosses into the game code, new weapon categories, new areas, and the code for the arenas. Not too much after that we got the arenas.

Miyazaki said in December "As for Elden Ring, we still have several more things we want to do, and getting this GOTY award really encourages us."

And now there's rumors of a certain streamer confirming that the DLC is "huge", but only rumors.

I feel like anyone who assumes absolute radio blackout from Fromsoft means no product doesn't remember the two year gap between it's official announcement in June 2019 and it's gameplay reveal in June 2021.

I also heard similar rumblings about Armored Core not being worked on despite Miyazaki outwardly saying they were working on it in 2016. I feel like the guy has proven that if he's willing to say something out loud, then it's going to happen.

jungleroomx on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    The ease of respec in ER was great im just kind of sad it is capped per run heh.... but if there is a game where it makes sense to cap respecs it is souls/ER just sucks in the souls line heh.

Did they add this in?

AFAIK it was capped at 18 per game cycle

edited January 2023

Really? What mob can drop larval tears repeatedly? I dont remember reading that in the wiki.

Jubal77 on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    There is no way on Earth Fromsoft is not working on DLC for this game. They've put out DLC for all their other similar games except Sekiro. Elden Ring outsold Dark Souls 3 and Sekiro combined. It outsold Call of Duty. People are clamoring for it and assuming it's a sure bet. Things in the video game industry are real before they are announced.

It reminds me of some 'scoop' from last year that Rockstar was working on GTA 6. Like, duh.

It's possible they're re-scoping the DLC. The huge sales of ER give them plenty of runway and maybe/hopefully the critical and popular success is making them make sure they're putting out DLC worthy of the game itself.

edited January 2023
    I still hope they end up joining the entire underground and making the game effectively double layered.

Bonus points if they join every single catacomb and mine area.

jungleroomx on
    yeah i wouldn't expect anything about the dlc for a time if it's going to be similarly expansive in scope as the main game

bloodborne took about 9 months for its DLC to come out, and it had a much smaller scope and less post-release support

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Really? What mob can drop larval tears repeatedly? I dont remember reading that in the wiki.

The sphere enemies drop them and they respawn but maybe there is still a set amount. Still, I think there are plenty per run. I respec'd like 6 times on my last character and had like 5 tears left without ever intentionally looking for them.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist

The seeking boulders in the underground

Now that I'm looking at the internet it says they don't drop but I'm sure shortly after launch I went and killed them for more. I'll load it up after work to see if I was hallucinating

yeah they only drop from those once i think

still, there's something like 18 or 20 in the game, which honestly should be plenty

Butters wrote: »

The sphere enemies drop them and they respawn but maybe there is still a set amount. Still, I think there are plenty per run. I respec'd like 6 times on my last character and had like 5 tears left without ever intentionally looking for them.

They only drop once, after that it's just the silver tear husk

In 1.07, From added 30 of the same slots reserved for bosses into the game code, new weapon categories, new areas, and the code for the arenas. Not too much after that we got the arenas.

Miyazaki said in December "As for Elden Ring, we still have several more things we want to do, and getting this GOTY award really encourages us."

And now there's rumors of a certain streamer confirming that the DLC is "huge", but only rumors.

I feel like anyone who assumes absolute radio blackout from Fromsoft means no product doesn't remember the two year gap between it's official announcement in June 2019 and it's gameplay reveal in June 2021.

I also heard similar rumblings about Armored Core not being worked on despite Miyazaki outwardly saying they were working on it in 2016. I feel like the guy has proven that if he's willing to say something out loud, then it's going to happen.

Oh right I forgot about datamined indicators of stuff getting worked on, nevermind

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Imagine if you could make an actual necromancer in Souls. Swarm enemies with disposable skellies.

Mmmm. Yeah, I want pet builds in the series now.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • AvalonGuardAvalonGuard Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Imagine if you could make an actual necromancer in Souls. Swarm enemies with disposable skellies.

Mmmm. Yeah, I want pet builds in the series now.

Summoning ashes is likely the closest we’ll ever get.

Maliketh down

I had the tooth but no idea how to use it so but I managed to get scarlet rot procced in the 2nd phase and then it was just a matter of staying alive and keeping pillars between us while his health ticked away

That Destined Death status effect is bullshit

edited January 2023
    maliketh is so fucken hard

they gave him like no health, which thank god, because he spends the whole fight ninja flipping like a butthole

Elendil on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I am on him in NG+ right now and I have got him down to a sliver of HP a couple times but then he does one of his crazy spinning attacks and one shots me. He's honestly not that hard to dodge, except for the weapon skill attack that immediately hits everything around him, but it's hard not to panick dodge while your health is ticking down. And the pillars are a double edged sword because sometimes they can give you cover but other times they just make you lose sight of him and then he does some bullshit that clips right through solid rock and kills you.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited January 2023
    maliketh is so fucken hard

they gave him like no health, which thank god, because he spends the whole fight ninja flipping like a butthole

I was mostly lucky in guessing where he might end up and I aimed the dragonbreath in that direction

Also i hate the first phase so much too

Half the time I have just enough time to get to a relatively safe spot and summon, other times he immediately gallops right at me and I get killed on that little bridge at the entryway

Edit: oh yeah I did get him down to so little health I couldn’t see any red in the bar, on like my third attempt before he did the Sekiro move and killed me

And then it took another 20 tries at least

knitdan on
    edited January 2023
    The team making the followup to 2014's abysmal Lords of the Fallen just dropped some screens on Steam and well, it doesn't look bad

p5b92od2yvzz.jpg

1pmzv6adgh1e.jpg

jungleroomx on
    i was gonna say, wasn't surge 2 supposed to be okay? maybe they learned? but i just checked and i guess the publisher handed it off to some brand new dev company lol

who knows, man

art's cool

edited January 2023
    i was gonna say, wasn't surge 2 supposed to be okay? maybe they learned? but i just checked and i guess the publisher handed it off to some brand new dev company lol

who knows, man

art's cool

Yeah I mean

Their intentions are pretty clear because it's just called The Lords of the Fallen. They aren't even pretending the old game exists, they just put a "The" at the front of the name.

jungleroomx on
  • danxdanx Registered User regular
    Aye it looks nice but the visuals in the original weren't that bad either, it was the game play that sucked.

Think I dropped LotF after like 2-3 hours. It was that bad. They have a lot of work to do to convince me it's even worth buying tLotF in a sale.

This discussion has been closed.