As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• MorninglordMorninglord Registered User regular
    I generally make a coop character after I've played it a few times to experience a different way of playing.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    Auriza's Hero Grave...you're telling me you have to get through that pain in the ass dungeon, then are rewarded with a fight against 2 bosses that are super aggressive with unbelievable range and close the gap quick, all for a measly 30k runes?!

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    So, some of you might find this nice to know. Or like, get really angry about it.

About Auriza Hero's Grave...
    You can lob a fire pot through the opening in one of the alcoves on the right side near the bottom of the dual-chariot ramp and activate the switch to kill the chariots before you do the rest.

AphostileMegaMan001MarekJusticeKalnaurcB557DarkewolfeBladeXfurlion
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 15
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    invaded twice so far for the varre quest and both time ran into the same incredibly underpowered solo host

how

not like this
    not like this

I got through that by invading and immediately using the item that disconnects you from the host's world 3 times. Pretty sure I entered one player's world twice. It still counted for the quest.

Ugh, there's a quest where you have to invade? That's what he wanted me to do with those things? Blegh.

I'm having much more fun seeking out every single boss and area I can find to kill them all. I really wish I had better fire damage, but that's all over in faith minus a few magma spells and I don't think I can reach them quite yet. Ah well, I'll just have to settle for things like the Rock Throw and that one giant eff off bow spell.

tbf you only have to invade three times and the outcome doesn't matter so you can just let the host kill you or throw yourself off a cliff or whatever

It might happen if I have to do it to get a spell or an item or something, but otherwise, meh. I loathe even the idea of participating in the PvP thing, even if it's just to come in naked, sit emote, and wait for the end.

finishing his quest gives you access to a new area, an optional (cool but pain in the ass) boss, and some pretty good gear (although there is another way to get there, so you don't have to do it). but yeah I feel you on the whole PvP thing, I literally only did it to unlock more PvE content.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Wow, absolutely blindsided by post Fire Giant
    When Melina said "Are you prepared to commit a cardinal sin?" I thought she meant smooch or something given I am married to Ranni.

I didn't realise the cardinal sin was going to be being teleported to a new dungeon without any preparation!

Also, big tree on fire.

Maybe I should pay more attention to the story.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    Fiatil
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    When Melina said "Are you prepared to commit a cardinal sin?" I thought she meant smooch or something given I am married to Ranni.

I didn't realise the cardinal sin was going to be being teleported to a new dungeon without any preparation!

Also, big tree on fire.

honestly i think you can save the decompression for postgame

for now just enjoy the wild thrill of it

buckle up

just getting started...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
    Drovekmanwiththemachinegun
    edited April 15
    bsjezz wrote: »

Also, big tree on fire.

buckle up

just getting started...

Another Dragon I ran past. I wish the game would get the message that I have no interest in fighting Dragons. Like, make it a toggle or something.

I'm mostly being facetious in my spoiler chunk there. Things are going about how I expected. The one thing I do not have a handle on yet is "Destined Death" and what it means. I think it is pretty key as to understanding what is going on but I don't have a good grip.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So what is it about Occult weapons that From thinks they should not be buffable? Why am I being penalized for arcane scaling but where, say, a boss is immune to bleed, I can't switch to Occult for base scaling and then buff my weapon with a grease, like a quality/heavy/keen user would be able to? I feel like I get completely locked out of handling certain bosses and enemies, and unlike other playstyles who can often change up their Ashes of War and scaling for at least some tactical advantage, I can't because... reasons. Even though Occult weapons only deal physical damage like the other non magic/fire/holy types.

Because Occult gives you scaling damage that also happens to increase status effects. You can go all in on bleed with Bleed Scaling, but Occult gives you competitive with Heavy/Keen levels of physical damage, and nearly as much bleed scaling.

You can also once you've got the Black whetstone blade add Occult scaling to any physical type ash of war - The ones that natively give Keen/Quality/HEavy scaling. Which means you can get all the best of both worlds. ONtop of that, if you're going hard on Occult scaling you have the Dragon Commuion seal (or should!) which lets your faith spells scale off Arcane, ontop of buffing the dragon commuion spells... which means you have every single damage type avaible to you in the form of breaths, save Sacred and Lighting.

Also, very few things are actually resistant to physical damage as a whole - they might be resistant to a type of physical damage (Slash, most commonly, by armored enmies), but they'll still be vulnrable to Strike/Thrust. This is why i keep going on about Spiked Clubs (failing that, the Morning Star) being so good - Strike damage and native bleed. Flails also meet this qualification.

I'm not entirely sure, but i thiiiiink Arcane also just flat out boosts your ability to inflict status no matter the source? Which would make stuff like the Pulley Crossbow extra vicious in a dedicated arcane build.

Occult scaling locking you out of buffing your weapons is because Occult/Arcane gives you a fuck-ton in this game and it's one of the only things that stops it running roughshod over everything. (Also if you could buff your weapons, you could just roll everything with Bloodflame blade and that would be uh, bad)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    ElendilElvenshae
  • RamiRami Registered User regular

Also, big tree on fire.

buckle up

just getting started...

Another Dragon I ran past. I wish the game would get the message that I have no interest in fighting Dragons. Like, make it a toggle or something.

I'm mostly being facetious in my spoiler chunk there. Things are going about how I expected. The one thing I do not have a handle on yet is "Destined Death" and what it means. I think it is pretty key as to understanding what is going on but I don't have a good grip.

You were actually told that straight up earlier, by the finger-reader crone, but you probably forgot
    Destined Death = Rune of Death

They're the same thing, just a different name

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    As is tradition there are a lot of Proper Nouns in the first thirty minutes that are complete gibberish, but mean a ton in the story.

Of course, one you can't reread anything you were told because theirs no journal and two that (for me at least) was ninety one hours of gameplay ago and I'm not even to Caelid yet.

Things get a little murky.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    KalnaurcB557Darkewolfe
    Rami wrote: »

Also, big tree on fire.

buckle up

just getting started...

You were actually told that straight up earlier, by the finger-reader crone, but you probably forgot

Oh I totally understand that. But I don't get how that actually fits into the larger narrative. What does it mean to foo Destined Death? Can I flurble Destined Death instead? A lot of people have told me that Destined Death is very important but no one has told me of what the consequences would be if I thugawong it.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie Registered User regular

Also, big tree on fire.

buckle up

just getting started...

Oh I totally understand that. But I don't get how that actually fits into the larger narrative. What does it mean to foo Destined Death? Can I flurble Destined Death instead? A lot of people have told me that Destined Death is very important but no one has told me of what the consequences would be if I thugawong it.

Oh, if you thugawong it, it flibberflabbers the hurdygoo and everything afterwards goes all ripteepoot.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    ThawmusWhelkElvenshaeKalnaurDibbitZavian
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I think you guys should pay more attention to item details so you can piece things together.

Like how Destined Death does the whozawatzits with the hoop-dee-doo

steam_sig.png
    Twitch: Thawmus83
    Youtube: Thawmus
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    What the hell Rykard! I’m pretty sure I finished up all the manor quests so I go to fight them.

Fight
    the first phase seems like it was super easy to just backpedal and use the super spear laser. I have NO idea what’s going on in p2. There’s a lava pool around the boss, skulls flying everywhere, the giant sword strikes are somehow the easiest thing to dodge, there’s just too much stuff everywhere. And now I’m in the unfortunate space of p1 was not actually interesting it just took time and I have to redo that a bunch to get to the fight

initiatefailure on
    MegaMan001
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    What the hell Rykard! I’m pretty sure I finished up all the manor quests so I go to fight them.

Fight
    the first phase seems like it was super easy to just backpedal and use the super spear laser. I have NO idea what’s going on in p2. There’s a lava pool around the boss, skulls flying everywhere, the giant sword strikes are somehow the easiest thing to dodge, there’s just too much stuff everywhere. And now I’m in the unfortunate space of p1 was not actually interesting it just took time and I have to redo that a bunch to get to the fight
    One thing you can do to make the fight easier: you can upgrade the serpent-killer spear with somber smithing stones. Seeing as the fight is designed that you can beat it with the spear the first time, upgrading it helps out immensely. If nothing else, it should speed up the time you spend in phase 1.

Thawmusjimb213cB557ElJeffe
    The flamethrower shield is kinda sad, does it do more fire damage if I upgrade it or does that only upgrade the stats on the shield?

steam_sig.png
  • JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited April 15

Fight

Grab two co-ops with their own spears. I've been grinding arc runes and helping out, and the fights tend to be pretty uncomplicated. As uncomplicated as a three-man snake beatdown can get, anyhow.

Edit: slightly spoiler? tip, although when it comes to bullshit From boss fights, I think external fighting tips are part of the intended experience:
    use the spear for the second phase as well. I guess he's still serpenty enough to be vulnerable to the spear

Justice on
  • DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »

Fight

Grab two co-ops with their own spears. I've been grinding arc runes and helping out, and the fights tend to be pretty uncomplicated. As uncomplicated as a three-man snake beatdown can get, anyhow.

Edit: slightly spoiler? tip, although when it comes to bullshit From boss fights, I think external fighting tips are part of the intended experience:
    use the spear for the second phase as well. I guess he's still serpenty enough to be vulnerable to the spear

... I've been running around the world with my spear stowed at invisible stockpile Thomas... It's a good thing you can only be summoned in your own zone (at least, I think so) because if someone had summoned me for this fight, I wouldn't be able to help. Guess the nicest thing would be to sever the finger-phone-call then.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I think I just used the L2 of the serpent spear over and over again. The one where you have a column of light you slam to the ground. It staggers him so you just do it, wait a beat. Repeat it.

you can do the same thing with stage 2, if you don't just get lava spawned on you

I am in the business of saving lives.
    AngrySquirrelElJeffe
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    The flamethrower shield is kinda sad, does it do more fire damage if I upgrade it or does that only upgrade the stats on the shield?

The skill damage on that should be based entirely on upgrade level, assuming it behaves like similar items. Maybe test it with a single upgrade to be sure.

This post was sponsored by Goop.

'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
    Thawmus
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 15

Yeah that shield sucks. Fingerprint Shield is where it's at.

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Thawmus
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    So, I'm playing the other night, and my wife comes in to talk to me about some stuff. I look around, make sure I'm in a safe area, and put down my controller and take off my headset.

As we're sitting there, chatting, I realize that one of the rocks on-screen is slowly moving back and forth. Nothing else is happening, though, so I figure it's all cool.
    Dragon comes up behind me and kills me; turns out the dragon in front of me was sleeping, and it has friends. Never even heard it coming 'cause I took my headset off.

Was laughing too hard to care.

ChancePixelated PixieElJeffeAngrySquirrelWhelk
    I like the Erdtree Shield. Took a bit of getting the timing down, but parrying spells and watching casters melt never gets old.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Chance wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »
    There’s a bear at the start of a cave that was literally top 3 hardest fight in the game for me. I figured it’d drop a fancy item or at least not respawn after I killed it. Nope.

I hate that bear.

pretty sure that bear was meant to be a stealth encounter, its hitpoints and damage are beyond merely inflated and there's bushes all over that cave you can use to sneak past it

That bear guards the pr

Yeah I want the Fingerprint Shield but I haven't got it yet.

steam_sig.png
    There’s a bear at the start of a cave that was literally top 3 hardest fight in the game for me. I figured it’d drop a fancy item or at least not respawn after I killed it. Nope.

I hate that bear.

pretty sure that bear was meant to be a stealth encounter, its hitpoints and damage are beyond merely inflated and there's bushes all over that cave you can use to sneak past it

That bear guards the pr

I randomly got a brass shield, that I think is a bit overpowered, as I see it quite a lot in online play, even though it was basically "ooh, more numbers are blue in comparison to my kite shield" when I got it.
    I do feel like plain-white bread while wearing it. :(

• DeansDeans Registered User regular
    For a while I was using the artillery shield with a few buffs to completely melt various Erdtree Avatars in co-op, fun stuff. One time we got invaded while fighting the snowfield Avatar, the invader backstabbed me immediately after I fired my third shot, but it was too little too late because three shots was all I needed to kill the Avatar.

I kind of hate the brass shield. Partly because it's ugly and partly because you get it right at the beginning of the game and it's pretty much the best medium shield (that I've found anyway) so it invalidates everything you find after that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ThawmusKalnaurDarkewolfeKamar
    edited April 15

Also, big tree on fire.

buckle up

just getting started...

Oh, if you thugawong it, it flibberflabbers the hurdygoo and everything afterwards goes all ripteepoot.

Juffo-Wup fills in my fibers and I grow turgid. Violent action ensues.

Dibbit on
    Kaboodles_The_Assassin
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    I kind of hate the brass shield. Partly because it's ugly and partly because you get it right at the beginning of the game and it's pretty much the best medium shield (that I've found anyway) so it invalidates everything you find after that.
    banished knight is only about 2 points less guard boost and looks decent

ThawmusWhelk

Yes! Exactly this.
    I got it, thinking "ooh random white-bread shield" and 100 levels later... I'm still lugging it around.

Darkewolfe
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited April 15
    Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Shenl742cB557KalnaurSteel AngeldanxElJeffeAngrySquirrelWhelk
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I’ve never actually found the brass shield? I mostly use the carian one now but I’ve been playing without parry so I could use weapon skills 1-h

I'm highly debating of switching to the a jellyfish shield, don't know how common piercing strikes are, but I just like the idea of walking around with transparent goo.

Darkewolfe
    Dibbit wrote: »

I'm highly debating of switching to the a jellyfish shield, don't know how common piercing strikes are, but I just like the idea of walking around with transparent goo.

Pretty sure the jellyfish shield works fine against piercing and the text that says otherwise is either wrong or is lying.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    eMoanderKalnaur
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Found the first boss that really made me mad
    Godfrey/ Hoarah Loux first time I've felt stuck. For some reason first stage just kicked my A** over and over. Felt like I had to cheat in the end on my spell blade and go with my Wing Ash+ Rock Sling to take him down

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

I hate that bear.

That bear guards the pr

You can try out the One-Eyed Shield, it fires a single fireball/round instead of the fire spray. At +9 and with the talisman to boost skill damage, it does quite good damage (can kill a lot of things outright), and can be further boosted by things that boost fire damage too. Has a bit of splash damage.

However, it fires slowly. It's kinda fun, but a bit of a gimmick.

This post was sponsored by Goop.

'Get your fucking finger on the wookie'
    Dibbit wrote: »

Pretty sure the jellyfish shield works fine against piercing and the text that says otherwise is either wrong or is lying.

Wait... the item description is lying? ... But... grrrr... I use those to figure out the lore.

Pixelated Pixie
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    invaded twice so far for the varre quest and both time ran into the same incredibly underpowered solo host

how

not like this
    not like this

both my invasion attempts have been directly into OP gank squads, I think I got bleed murdered from full health in under 1 second the second time

BahamutZERO.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    If you really can't stand the look of the Brass Shield, and are ok with taking a slight stat hit, the Heater Shield family also is a good-ass 100% physical negation shield that looks cleaner, in my opinion.

KalnaurMegaMan001
  • southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    So, I changed up my greatsword character because I don't much enjoy using the DMGS beam spam and it's sort of finicky to keep competitive with top tier weapons, since it's reliant on its self-buff. So I switched to a strength build with 25 faith for Golden Vow and Ordovis's Greatsword, which is the strongest unbuffed greatsword by a healthy margin even accounting for split-damage unless your enemy is resisting holy. I'll probably use Blasphemous or Iron Greatsword or both as my backup depending on which I like more once I get hands on.

I was worried about my fashion, but if anything I'm looking better now. (all gear I'm wearing available pre-Capital)
    9h7g6l3wm2uo.png

What armor is that?