As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    On my STR/FAI run, the midgame DPS progress felt unpleasant until I could use Godrick's dragon gauntlet.

I was stuck in a rut with my +5 basic weapons with Holy ashes of war, or a Claymore, unable to level them any higher. I was not doing much damage, yet I didn't have the FAI/STR/INT to use faith weapons such as the fist or Sword of Night and Flame. It took grinding the frogs to get to be able to use the fist, and suddenly I was turning enemies I was struggling with into paste.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    So, some of you might find this nice to know. Or like, get really angry about it.

About Auriza Hero's Grave...
    You can lob a fire pot through the opening in one of the alcoves on the right side near the bottom of the dual-chariot ramp and activate the switch to kill the chariots before you do the rest.

well, I did it the hard way...

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Wow. Missing Blaidd’s story in my first run was a bit misstep. His involvement ties a whole lot of characters and areas together.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    I kind of hate the brass shield. Partly because it's ugly and partly because you get it right at the beginning of the game and it's pretty much the best medium shield (that I've found anyway) so it invalidates everything you find after that.
    banished knight is only about 2 points less guard boost and looks decent

I'm highly debating of switching to the a jellyfish shield, don't know how common piercing strikes are, but I just like the idea of walking around with transparent goo.

Pretty sure the jellyfish shield works fine against piercing and the text that says otherwise is either wrong or is lying.

Wait... the item description is lying? ... But... grrrr... I use those to figure out the lore.

100% physical shield includes all physical damage including piercing, might have originally been intended to have lower piercing shield but at some point they lumped it all into one 'physical' stat?

The lore I don't think is lying on item descriptions though, I haven't seen any contradictory stuff really (unlike certain NPC dialogue....)

I mainly use shields based on 100% physical, unfortunately I've never seen a 100% magic shield or anything of the like so physical shield seems wayyyy better in almost every situation (I use the Heater Shield, haven't changed it since early game since it's 100% physical shield)

Zavian on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I like the shitty items that are like “please don’t use this terrible shield”

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »
    Elendil wrote: »
    I kind of hate the brass shield. Partly because it's ugly and partly because you get it right at the beginning of the game and it's pretty much the best medium shield (that I've found anyway) so it invalidates everything you find after that.
    banished knight is only about 2 points less guard boost and looks decent

I'm highly debating of switching to the a jellyfish shield, don't know how common piercing strikes are, but I just like the idea of walking around with transparent goo.

Pretty sure the jellyfish shield works fine against piercing and the text that says otherwise is either wrong or is lying.

Wait... the item description is lying? ... But... grrrr... I use those to figure out the lore.

100% physical shield includes all physical damage including piercing, might have originally been intended to have lower piercing shield but at some point they lumped it all into one 'physical' stat?

The lore I don't think is lying on item descriptions though, I haven't seen any contradictory stuff really (unlike certain NPC dialogue....)

I mainly use shields based on 100% physical, unfortunately I've never seen a 100% magic shield or anything of the like so physical shield seems wayyyy better in almost every situation (I use the Heater Shield, haven't changed it since early game since it's 100% physical shield)

The Mirrorshield is probably as good as it gets, at 89% magic res (and also 100 phys). It's light weight, and has no skill, so overall quite good. The other resistances are low, though.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    No seriously, end game motivation talk.
    What am I supposed to be doing in Crumbling Dragon Town?

Melina wanted to burn the tree, cool, took down a giant, tree burning. Burning the tree was supposed to open the door. It's still locked. So i presume I'm supposed to do something in Whirlwind Scary Beastmanville.

But what? Did Melina tell me in the cutscene before hand and I missed it?

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    No seriously, end game motivation talk.
    What am I supposed to be doing in Crumbling Dragon Town?

Melina wanted to burn the tree, cool, took down a giant, tree burning. Burning the tree was supposed to open the door. It's still locked. So i presume I'm supposed to do something in Whirlwind Scary Beastmanville.

But what? Did Melina tell me in the cutscene before hand and I missed it?
    you need to unbind death first by getting the death rune from there, since it's a place out of regular time I'm assuming it was purposefully put there in the past by the Golden Order but I don't think any of that's explained really?

• FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    What's a good ranged option for a strength build?

steam_sig.png
    i made a meme yayyy
    1cfGqXB.jpg

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »

Golem Greatbow? It drops from golems like the one that respawns at the end of the Stormveil Bridge. It's topped out stat scaling is the best for greatbows.

The ammo for it can be mildly expensive, though? At least that's how it usually is for greatbows in these games.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    What about the ballista?

Note that the Ballista and Jar Cannon don't have any scaling at all.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I’ve never actually found the brass shield? I mostly use the carian one now but I’ve been playing without parry so I could use weapon skills 1-h

It's a random drop off enemies that use it. Not everyone will find one naturally. While it is a good shield early on, it's just due to having higher guard boost than other medium shields. Downside are higher strength requirements and weight.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Golem Greatbow? It drops from golems like the one that respawns at the end of the Stormveil Bridge. It's topped out stat scaling is the best for greatbows.

The ammo for it can be mildly expensive, though? At least that's how it usually is for greatbows in these games.

I use the golem greatbow on my STR character and it is glorious. Slow as fuck but it does some work. The arrows are a bit pricey but since it's not my primary weapon they don't get used a ton.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, some of you might find this nice to know. Or like, get really angry about it.

You can lob a fire pot through the opening in one of the alcoves on the right side near the bottom of the dual-chariot ramp and activate the switch to kill the chariots before you do the rest.

FUCKING HOURS OF MY LIFE

What is this I don't even.
  • ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular

Early on, Kukris. Kukris, as many of them as you can buy. And firepots, as many of them as you can make. They both scale well on strength and don't weigh you down.

Later on, greatbows are pretty good in general, but my personal recommendation is to get all the deathroot you can for the beast shaman so you can get the rock throw spell. It doesn't require much faith, you can use the beastclaw talisman to cast with (which scales on Str/Fth), and it's a fun animation as well!

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited April 2022

for STR ranged, the Misbegotten Shortbow is a STR D/16, DEX E/8, which drops from
    flying Misbegotten at Castle Morne/Morne Tunnel

The Pulley Bow is a STR D/11, DEX D/11 that can be found in Mt Gelmir
    can be found on a sitting corpse (at the top of a siege tower near Mt. Gelmir campsite. The tower is located to the north of Gelmir Hero's Grave site of Grace)

All the crossbows are good for STR builds as well just note that they don't scale with anything so rely on weapon upgrades instead

Zavian on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

FUCKING HOURS OF MY LIFE
    the shackle items will work too, they put out an enormous invisible hitbox

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular

I absolutely love how many options there are to solve almost any problem in this game.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    southwick wrote: »
    So, I changed up my greatsword character because I don't much enjoy using the DMGS beam spam and it's sort of finicky to keep competitive with top tier weapons, since it's reliant on its self-buff. So I switched to a strength build with 25 faith for Golden Vow and Ordovis's Greatsword, which is the strongest unbuffed greatsword by a healthy margin even accounting for split-damage unless your enemy is resisting holy. I'll probably use Blasphemous or Iron Greatsword or both as my backup depending on which I like more once I get hands on.

I was worried about my fashion, but if anything I'm looking better now. (all gear I'm wearing available pre-Capital)
    9h7g6l3wm2uo.png

What armor is that?

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Crucible+Tree+Set from Deeproot Depths, with the https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Shining+Horned+Headband from Nokron (though the Crucible Tree Helm looks good too).

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I feel like I'm getting better at the character creator than the actual game

ah5xdpyy7g2l.jpg

jungleroomx on
    That was a tough boss fight I was not even a little bit expecting. Full-grown fallingstar beast. Thing damn near killed me. I ran out of heals but got the win.

I'm assuming there's a NOT full-grown version somewhere too... I might have to find out and then go beat the shit out of it just to keep it from becoming a full grown one...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • ChanceChance Registered User regular
    That was a tough boss fight I was not even a little bit expecting. Full-grown fallingstar beast. Thing damn near killed me. I ran out of heals but got the win.

I'm assuming there's a NOT full-grown version somewhere too... I might have to find out and then go beat the shit out of it just to keep it from becoming a full grown one...

There's
    3 of them in total, I think.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
    Chance wrote: »

There's
    3 of them in total, I think.

Well fuck.

All right, I'm on a hunting mission now...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    Maliketh
    I keep getting him down so low but then letting myself be hit by the health debuff/drain last minute.

Which would almost be tolerable, but...

WHY YA GOTTA MAKE ME RUN UP THE RAMP EVERY TIME!?

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
    Fine.

Fine.

I invaded to get the bird farm. That's it, just that was all I really cared about. And that was worth it. A virtually endless amount of souls as long as I'm willing to brainlessly trade a single carved arrow for runes? Considering I'm almost always overleveled in these games, It's something I really did need to have access to that kind of thing sooner rather than later.

I kind of hate volcano manor. This place is optional, innit?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

Yep, it's an optional boss

• HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular

yeah you can even skip the entire dungeon but still warp to the demigod boss if you want the great rune

Hachface wrote: »

yeah you can even skip the entire dungeon but still warp to the demigod boss if you want the great rune

You don't say?

I kind of feel like I'm probably almost to him anyway but ugh, I just hate the whole place. The layout is annoying, the fights aren't interesting...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    This may have already been posted, so apologies if so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t36b47UHSpE

I'm not normally a huge fan of Polygon's work but I feel like Jenna gets to the heart of what personally drives me in Fromsoft games. That slow turnover from "this is bullshit" to understanding and appreciating the absolute absurdity and comedy of the loop of these games, especially when juxtaposed against their very dour worlds.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited April 2022
    It’s funny I just went through it tonight and I liked volcano manor a lot. I have not yet cracked the last boss though to know how I feel there. It felt like a tight DS castle type zone. Also weird note I discovered

Sub boss
    you can spawn the godskin noble from outside the church. I did that, then raised the bridge and went and rested at the starting grace and it didn’t despawn/reset. I don’t think it changes anything but I wonder how far you can go away from that while still in combat with a boss health bar.

initiatefailure on
  • ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular

I'm kinda digging it. Mainly because I was annoyed at having to progress in Ranni's quest to reach new areasl. And along comes the crazy volcano cult to give me something else to do for a while. And in-universe, a place for my tarnished to get some proper sleep. Plus an actual upgrade path for my weapons that were stalled at +6.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
    I didn't mind Volcano Manor, but I was also pretty over leveled when I went back and did it since I missed the "fun way" to get there entirely.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Oh also the last volcano letter quest gave me my sweet new drip. That hoslow had some sexy armor

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I didn't mind Volcano Manor, but I was also pretty over leveled when I went back and did it since I missed the "fun way" to get there entirely.
    Oh also the last volcano letter quest gave me my sweet new drip. That hoslow had some sexy armor

I love volcano manor. Big optional legacy dungeon, Rya, the pizza cutter, and THIS little gem who's never leaving my side.

ka3rpgc49qlh.jpg

It returns 45+3% of your max HP, anytime anything dies around you. It's way too handy.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I love volcano manor. Big optional legacy dungeon, Rya, the pizza cutter, and THIS little gem who's never leaving my side.

It returns 45+3% of your max HP, anytime anything dies around you. It's way too handy.

fun fact, when you touch a blood stain, the blood stain dying triggers life regeneration.

oh damn i got that and forgot to check what it did!

edited April 2022
    Taker's Cameo combined with Godskin's Swaddling Cloth is pretty hilarious for clearing mook sections using anything with a chain attack ash of war, like Corpse Piler or Sword Dance.

GnomeTank on
This discussion has been closed.