As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Sunhi Legend vs Malenia, probably NSFW since it shows the whole fight

<snip>

Incredible. I'll never be this good and I'm fine with it. I killed Melania with Rivers of Blood as well but it was uhh much more messy lol.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The range on the rivers of blood is deceptive as hell

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Justice wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Thinking about it, I wish less stuff was somber with special ashes. I've found so many cool ashes but end up using boss stuff.

It'd be awesome if there was some point where you could choose like a "lone wolf" option and pick either the summoning bell or else some relic/extra hp-fp-stamina/etc. BUT if you chose the summoning bell you could summon non-heroic ashes at all times. I don't understand why this isn't an option since you can co-op the whole game. It would also offer something to placate the "ashes are for the not-gud" people.

The Engine From uses is really weird, and in previous versions, it couldn't just create entities anywhere. All non player controlled entities had to be loaded and present on the map, and From just hid them until needed.
    There's about a 80% chance that the reason those summon spikes are in the game, is because all your equipped summons are loaded and ready somewhere 10 feet underground beneath it.

I actually like that spirit ashes aren't an all the time thing, it makes them feel more special, and any time I see the icon I know it's either a space with a boss or a bunch of enemies I might have to contend with.

However if I could just summon Lhutel anywhere in Caelid, that would be greeeeaaaaat . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ArmsForPeace84ArmsForPeace84 Your Partner In Freedom Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Thinking about it, I wish less stuff was somber with special ashes. I've found so many cool ashes but end up using boss stuff.

It'd be awesome if there was some point where you could choose like a "lone wolf" option and pick either the summoning bell or else some relic/extra hp-fp-stamina/etc. BUT if you chose the summoning bell you could summon non-heroic ashes at all times. I don't understand why this isn't an option since you can co-op the whole game. It would also offer something to placate the "ashes are for the not-gud" people.

The Engine From uses is really weird, and in previous versions, it couldn't just create entities anywhere. All non player controlled entities had to be loaded and present on the map, and From just hid them until needed.
    There's about a 80% chance that the reason those summon spikes are in the game, is because all your equipped summons are loaded and ready somewhere 10 feet underground beneath it.

I'm even more impressed, then, at how well they incorporated the open world of The Lands Between into a Souls title. I love details like that, about how artists work around technical limitations.

Nothing personal. It's just business.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Drez wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    That giant hand spider in the Mountaintop can just fuck all the way off, Jesus Christ.

EVERY giant hand spider can fuck off.

And you know what? Also mountaintops. Fuck mountaintops.

Also the Fire Giant.

Also the Death Rite Bird.

I am running out of things in the mountaintop that don't need to fuck all the way off.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Also the fucking stabby birds in Castle Sol.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Also the rest of Castle Sol.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I am so ready to be done. The game is too long by far.

I want to restart, try a fresh character/build. I'm bored with this one. But it feels like I have 100 hours left to go.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular

I want to restart, try a fresh character/build. I'm bored with this one. But it feels like I have 100 hours left to go.

I had to take a break at Mountaintop of Giants; it can be exhausting, and the later game areas IMO aren't as well designed as the rest. I'm eventually going to get back at it to cross the finish line (and also still super hyped for DLC, I'm hoping for Dark Souls 2 levels of goodness with the DLC)

• Options
    The only "truly, fuck this enemy" feeling I have thus far is for the big hand spiders in the manor, the giant crow bastards in Caelid, and the giant friggin' bears. Everything else is manageable, but the hands just do so much damage and have so much health, and the birds just run right the hell for you at top speed and attack nonstop, and the giant bears just aren't fun to fight at all.

I'm tooling around Caelid right now after fighting through every dungeon, boss, etc in Limgrave, Weeping Peninsula, Liurnia, and a chunk of Siofra and Ainsel. There's still so much game, and it's kind of insane that I'm 76 hours in with only three areas more or less cleared (unless/until I do more Ranni stuff, which I plan to do).

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Agreed the end of the game is a slog. I'm in Elphael and basically just Super Meat Boying through, taking every shortcut I can find. Feels like just a long repetition of enemies and fights I've already done and done before, and scenery I've seen. So much great about this game, but it stretches a little long at the end.

The Mountaintop and beyond has been less fun than what came before, possibly because of how many hours I've put in but also I think they ran out of new ideas.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the HP bloat in Elphael is ludicrous

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    the HP bloat in Elphael is ludicrous

The basic prawns dropping 6500 runes does not make it worth how much killing the basic prawns take.

• Options
    edited April 2022
    Agreed the end of the game is a slog. I'm in Elphael and basically just Super Meat Boying through, taking every shortcut I can find. Feels like just a long repetition of enemies and fights I've already done and done before, and scenery I've seen. So much great about this game, but it stretches a little long at the end.

The Mountaintop and beyond has been less fun than what came before, possibly because of how many hours I've put in but also I think they ran out of new ideas.

Interestingly Elphael (sans the Haligtree Branches, fuck that sub-area) was probably one of the bright spots of the end game for me, that and Crumbling Faram Azula. They felt like decently proper Souls experiences and kind of cleansed the lukewarm feeling I had about Mountaintop and Caelid in general.

I will say that I was definitely high level when I got to both places, like 150+.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I really like haligtree. Its a sick area and I had glorious trouble with it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    I'm assuming there's not any way to stop the game from popping up that information for online play window every time I "press any button" to enter the main menu? Like yes, I get it, online play, these are the rules, I get it, can I just click an "I understand" box and be done with it?

I want to be clear about noting there is so much game left in that I'm not bothered by this, it's just even more than I think I was expecting? Like, I've seen the whole map, I thought I was prepared, but still I continue to be amazed by how much game is here, and that more or less I'm still enjoying myself. I love the rock throw spell, BTW. The gravity one that commonly can even stun bosses? I'm not sure if any of the other meteor style spells are useful, but man is that one great.

• Options
    Is there a way to disable gesture hotkeys? I don't even know how to do them on command, but often when I'm sprinting from enemies I'll try to hit triangle to climb a ladder and instead I do a little curtsy right before something with too many arms beats me to jam.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I have very explicitly not tried to do everything in a single run through. Despite being in what I presume is the endgame I've got huge chunks of the map unexplored and no intention of exploring them.

As a result with the exception of too many dragons I haven't really felt the "copy and paste" effect that much at all.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Dragons are bad enough that I mostly just skip them on alts. Supremely dull if things are going well (whether you fight mounted or not), but oops now you instantly die to an awkward breath. I've heard the last one is a good fight, but so far they're extremely disappointing--any of the dragons in Dark Souls is a better fight.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I like em. Free souls. Very easy fights. Genuinely so.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to disable gesture hotkeys? I don't even know how to do them on command, but often when I'm sprinting from enemies I'll try to hit triangle to climb a ladder and instead I do a little curtsy right before something with too many arms beats me to jam.

Hey, at least you tried the diplomatic route.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular

The exhaustion is real.

I think it's why I didn't even really bother to beat Malenia. By the time I got to her, I had been ready to be done with the game for well over thirty hours, so when she took more than like eight or nine attempts I left and went to continue the story and hopefully end the game (which took another 10+ hours of doing the remainder of the mountaintops and then Farum and the finale anyway).

This is not looking like a game I will replay. Far too big.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I don't mind not progressing. I do what I think is fun and there's so much fun stuff to do. Try a new build, get a new weapon, a new talisman, a new ash of war, do some glorious co-op. Sometimes I even try to progress :smile:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    taking a couple of days off really improved my appreciation of the last few areas

i also swore i wouldn't play it again then started a new character in maybe less than 24 hours...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I'm assuming there's not any way to stop the game from popping up that information for online play window every time I "press any button" to enter the main menu? Like yes, I get it, online play, these are the rules, I get it, can I just click an "I understand" box and be done with it?

I want to be clear about noting there is so much game left in that I'm not bothered by this, it's just even more than I think I was expecting? Like, I've seen the whole map, I thought I was prepared, but still I continue to be amazed by how much game is here, and that more or less I'm still enjoying myself. I love the rock throw spell, BTW. The gravity one that commonly can even stun bosses? I'm not sure if any of the other meteor style spells are useful, but man is that one great.

I'm prepared for this game to be a long haul, taken a couple hours at a time, for the foreseeable future. Even just for the first playthrough. I've played enough Souls games that I'm not expecting to come back from a break and be suddenly unable to parry or dodge roll.

That said, I'm working on a checklist of areas and bosses I've taken down. The ones that don't drop unique gear suck. But fortunately, most of them seem to.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

On PS they are all over on the right side of the screen under the pouch. If you just remove them from that menu they won't activate any more.

Not sure if its different on other systems.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I think I’ve already played this game more than any game in years. But after the first week I’ve really only been playing an evening or two during the week so it’s not like a burnout so much as a continuing journey. I have noticed since I got to volcano manor I haven’t scoured the entire zones like I did with weeping peninsula and limgeave but honestly I’m fine with that. When I got past the capitol I kind of just beelined to graces across the mountain because I was hunting down a side quest thing for the manor. Once I complete that I can go back and see what’s actually going on in the mountain.

Also what do you think the best resolution for volcano manorside quest
    rya?
    I found her in the manor having learned the truth of her birth, tanith gave me the vial to make her forget. I don’t want to kill her, and I feel like she wouldn’t kill herself since she asked me to do it. I think of the other options, living with the knowledge has to be better than forgetting because I’m sure once I kill rykard something weird will happen with the rest of the manor residents and she’s going to do what just show up confused?

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    I think I’ve already played this game more than any game in years. But after the first week I’ve really only been playing an evening or two during the week so it’s not like a burnout so much as a continuing journey. I have noticed since I got to volcano manor I haven’t scoured the entire zones like I did with weeping peninsula and limgeave but honestly I’m fine with that. When I got past the capitol I kind of just beelined to graces across the mountain because I was hunting down a side quest thing for the manor. Once I complete that I can go back and see what’s actually going on in the mountain.

Also what do you think the best resolution for volcano manorside quest
    rya?
    I found her in the manor having learned the truth of her birth, tanith gave me the vial to make her forget. I don’t want to kill her, and I feel like she wouldn’t kill herself since she asked me to do it. I think of the other options, living with the knowledge has to be better than forgetting because I’m sure once I kill rykard something weird will happen with the rest of the manor residents and she’s going to do what just show up confused?
    If you give her the potion I believe she just returns to the manor.

If you go kill Rykard and return to the room you found her in in the dungeon, she will have left you a letter and
    explains she has gone to travel the world, with the intention of returning when she is confident in being worthy of running the Manor. She thanks you and names you her champion.

Best girl.

0leo4nxl0klt.jpg

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I have very explicitly not tried to do everything in a single run through. Despite being in what I presume is the endgame I've got huge chunks of the map unexplored and no intention of exploring them.

As a result with the exception of too many dragons I haven't really felt the "copy and paste" effect that much at all.

I probably should have did this in retrospect. I took the opposite route of scouring every area I was in until I was sure it was cleared. And I've ended up with a ton of stuff I'll probably never use in this run. I have all the spells! But I'm a faith build that never spent any runes on intelligence so I can't use any of it. I'm almost at the point of just starting a new character because now this run is getting stagnant: Summon ashes, throw lightning bolt, move on.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    xmc3op210tby.jpg

Gods damn this game knows how to do a mood

• Options
    I'm used to scouring every corner of Dark Souls games for every spell, item, or equipment, so I'm having a blast doing the same in Elden Ring, because the dungeons are nice bite-size Chalice Dungeon style areas with a few fun things and a boss, and Legacy Dungeons (and some of the larger castles and such) are more like traditional Souls areas, which gives that feeling of doing one of those areas with expansive areas and secret rooms and that kind of thing. And then there's the big world that connects them all, with new experiences for the Souls-like experience. There are some bullshit enemies, but Souls games always have those and they can usually be cheesed or ignored.

Basically, if I can get almost everything in one play, I'll be happy.

• Options
    That giant hand spider in the Mountaintop can just fuck all the way off, Jesus Christ.

They Drop somber smithing stones[7] on a very consistent basis, though..... That makes them cool, right? Right?

(question about the giant hand)
    Were you talking about the regular giant hands, or the .... giant-giant hand near the Flame giant? Because that last one is just weird... And the hand-corridor after it unnerved me more...
    So many fingers....

I was, indeed, talking about the latter.

The former are just creepy. The latter is GAAAAAH.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Just beat Margit for the second time (wanted to try a wretch), he is kind of a weird boss. I really wish I could fight him again like in Sekiro (I used Jellyfish in the second phase, would love to see if I can beat him without without having to roll up a new character.)

I don’t feel like he’s a bad boss at all, but I do feel like he comes a bit early. You don’t really have many tools at the point you fight him, and if you do explore more to get more abilities and develop your character you end up overleveling him.

I ended up being able to pretty much blow his first phase away but Once he breaks out the hammer I don’t quite know his punish points. There are a few moves that are safe to punish in the first part (whether through dodging and attacking or blocking or parrying and riposte) that’ll get you smashed with the hammer in the second.

I feel like he’d be fun as hell in a game like Sekiro where you have a bit more mobility.

• Options
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I probably should have did this in retrospect. I took the opposite route of scouring every area I was in until I was sure it was cleared. And I've ended up with a ton of stuff I'll probably never use in this run. I have all the spells! But I'm a faith build that never spent any runes on intelligence so I can't use any of it. I'm almost at the point of just starting a new character because now this run is getting stagnant: Summon ashes, throw lightning bolt, move on.

You can respec and not have to start over.

Haven't done so personally, because my leveling approach has been to keep my options fairly open. Which this game seems to reward more than the general consensus of "focus, focus, focus" would imply. There are so many gear items and buffs the player can have active that it's possible to radically change up a build on the fly for most of the game, to take on a particular boss or new area. Might be less the case at Level 150, when gearing up for NG+, but fair enough, I'll know what I really like to use by that point, from all the game has to offer. So I'll go respec before I snap all the bosses back to life in slightly angrier forms.

• Options
    Just beat Margit for the second time (wanted to try a wretch), he is kind of a weird boss. I really wish I could fight him again like in Sekiro (I used Jellyfish in the second phase, would love to see if I can beat him without without having to roll up a new character.)

I don’t feel like he’s a bad boss at all, but I do feel like he comes a bit early. You don’t really have many tools at the point you fight him, and if you do explore more to get more abilities and develop your character you end up overleveling him.

I ended up being able to pretty much blow his first phase away but Once he breaks out the hammer I don’t quite know his punish points. There are a few moves that are safe to punish in the first part (whether through dodging and attacking or blocking or parrying and riposte) that’ll get you smashed with the hammer in the second.

I feel like he’d be fun as hell in a game like Sekiro where you have a bit more mobility.

I liked this video about Margit. I think it explains what he's trying to teach well and why he gave so many people problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9MQe7tR5xQ

• Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    Me: "I think I've done most of Elden Ring's content and I'm at the final boss."
    Elden Ring: "Here's an entire region of the map that you need find a secret NPC and go through a secret dungeon to unlock."

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Oroboro made a 10 minute montage of Malenia kicking his ass and it made me feel much better about myself.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
This discussion has been closed.