As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

194959799100102

Posts

  • DibbitDibbit Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    I really like the idea of the dragon spells but a lot of them look too goofy.

    Give me an illusory dragon doing a flyby instead of a giant head, you know?

    For some reason Miyazaki loves doing this. Look up the older dragon covenants of dark souls and groan in despair when you see the goofy ass “dragon helmet.” He just loves loves going “ooh? You want to be a cool dragon? I think not! Now wear this furry lizard suit and dance for me.” The dragon eyes in elden ring are probably the coolest looking the faction has ever been.

  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    I think the dragon armor stuff in DS2 looks neat, myself.

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    arc/faith character kinda stalling out. was worried the build concept didn't have enough going on to keep me invested and it's kinda working out that way. can't find any other weapons i really like for it, haven't really been inspired to change the spell loadout, since lowish requirement faith stuff is limited and a lot of what's there, i've used before. can't find anything else that hits the intersection between novel and cool for me for this character theme.

  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That video, while funny, is among the many reasons why I don't PvP in From games. I'll stick to enjoying PvE and co-op in these games and get my PvP fix elsewhere.

    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    part of the issue with this dragon worshipper concept is that stuff's all over the place

    the seal and dragon spells want arcane, the lightning miracles want faith, the dragon weapons are quality or dex

  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Its ironic that the dragon cult stuff is centered around lightning since that was pretty much the bane of their existence in the Souls universe.

    They love dragons so much their symbol is the key to wrecking their shit.

    I don't use those spells myself. My character already looks like Zeus too much as it is, flinging lightning spears would get me all the way there.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    I really like the idea of the dragon spells but a lot of them look too goofy.

    Give me an illusory dragon doing a flyby instead of a giant head, you know?

    For some reason Miyazaki loves doing this. Look up the older dragon covenants of dark souls and groan in despair when you see the goofy ass “dragon helmet.” He just loves loves going “ooh? You want to be a cool dragon? I think not! Now wear this furry lizard suit and dance for me.” The dragon eyes in elden ring are probably the coolest looking the faction has ever been.

    Well, I mean that's the theme of the series. People trying to become immortal dragons, but then end up looking like these guys
    849y6jozauwe.png

  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    I really like the idea of the dragon spells but a lot of them look too goofy.

    Give me an illusory dragon doing a flyby instead of a giant head, you know?

    For some reason Miyazaki loves doing this. Look up the older dragon covenants of dark souls and groan in despair when you see the goofy ass “dragon helmet.” He just loves loves going “ooh? You want to be a cool dragon? I think not! Now wear this furry lizard suit and dance for me.” The dragon eyes in elden ring are probably the coolest looking the faction has ever been.

    Well, I mean that's the theme of the series. People trying to become immortal dragons, but then end up looking like these guys
    849y6jozauwe.png

    Eh, they get there eventually.

    In DS3 it looks a lot like linking the flame nonstop without pause is just bringing about a new Age of Ancients, with people all over the place turning into trees and dragons and everything getting gray.

  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Dibbit wrote: »
    Kamar wrote: »
    I really like the idea of the dragon spells but a lot of them look too goofy.

    Give me an illusory dragon doing a flyby instead of a giant head, you know?

    For some reason Miyazaki loves doing this. Look up the older dragon covenants of dark souls and groan in despair when you see the goofy ass “dragon helmet.” He just loves loves going “ooh? You want to be a cool dragon? I think not! Now wear this furry lizard suit and dance for me.” The dragon eyes in elden ring are probably the coolest looking the faction has ever been.

    Well, I mean that's the theme of the series. People trying to become immortal dragons, but then end up looking like these guys
    849y6jozauwe.png
    I don't know, he looks okay to me.

    I'd have a beer with that dude.
    Drascin wrote: »
    I think the dragon armor stuff in DS2 looks neat, myself.
    Its completely fine.

    They saw the horror show from the first game and said fuck that and just turned it into a cool suit of armor.

    Once Miyakazki got back in there, he made sure they turned it back into a weird mutant.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Welp. Yeah, Fume Knight went down in five tries to my extremely plain "big shield and estoc" nonbuild (which is still at 10 vigor) - and two of those were just me getting greedy. It's genuinely hilarious to think this man held us all in terror once - I'm pretty sure this is an easier fight than Godrick. The difference in difficulty between this and the later games is nuts.

    (Sir Alonne went down by attempt two, but we already knew Sir Alonne literally can't touch you if you just equip the biggest fucking shield available - I actually died the first time to forgetting this man does not let you drink, if I'd just kept at it I'd probably have onesoht him)

    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Thinking of going back and replaying DS2 and DS3 now.

    Never did play The Ringed City DLC. That might be the last bit of new Dark Souls content I'll ever get to play.

    (RIP DS, Elden Ring will carry your torch for two sequels of its own no doubt)

    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking about taking my int/faith character up to RL 170 - 200. So I wanted to see howI the Golden Order Seal stacks up vs. other seals with bonuses to certain spells (e.g., giant's seal using giantsflame take thee).

    So my experiment was thus: Golden Order Seal at 55/55 even split Int/Faith. Other Seals tested at 80 Faith. Both Seals maxed (+10 / +25).

    Using Giantsflame Take Thee, GOS gets almost 150 more Spell Attack Power than the Giant's Seal. I did some other quick and dirty calculations using the same stat split but different spells and corresponding seals (e.g., lightning stuff and gravelstone seal). Very similar results, getting 100-200 more Spell Attack Power on GOS than the dedicated seal.

    Makes sense given the larger stat investment, but I'm surprised by how significant the difference is. Anyway, I don't think I'd run this math before, or if I did I forgot, so I thought it would be fun to share.

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    commander Niall was a pain but nowhere near as bad as the teleporting ghosts all over his castle

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Elendil wrote: »
    part of the issue with this dragon worshipper concept is that stuff's all over the place

    the seal and dragon spells want arcane, the lightning miracles want faith, the dragon weapons are quality or dex

    I really enjoyed my arc/faith build, though I'll agree that the choices are a bit limited. My weapons of choice were Eleonora's Poleblade and Morgott's Cursed Sword and I exclusively used the "true" dragon spells, which is to say the breath attacks plus claw and bite. Both those weapons are fantastic (and Rivers of Skill is of course also an option) and the breath attacks are basically all great if you can get them off.

    You're right about the stats, but if you ignore the dragon cult spells you can get by with fairly low dex and faith. I'd basically consider dragon cult and dragon communion to be different build. The dragon weapons are easier to match with the former, which kind of makes sense. Dragon Communion is about becoming a dragon and directly emulating their power, and doesn't really have any connected weapons. Dragon Cult is about worshipping dragons and uses power borrowed from the lightning dragons, and makes a lot of sense to combine with weapons made from dragon parts.

    Vic on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’m still on my first playthrough and my “build”, such as it is, is just “what works for me”

    I tend towards a very balanced stat page, for instance i’m at level 110 and my highest stat right now is Dex at 35 followed by vigor and strength at 30 and most everything else at 20. Trying to build up Faith and Arcane as they’re the low men on the ladder right now. Int gets shortchanged. I try everything as I get it but keep going back to bleed because Bloody Slash is my most consistent damage dealer, and the dragon breath has been great once i figured out tl to use it correctly and not give up when a status effect doesn’t proc on the first blast. And i always use my spirit ashes to distract bosses and get my hits in.

    So basically I have a well-rounded character who can’t take too many hits but as long as i manage to stay alive I can take down most bosses fairly fast

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I mean sounds like you have a pretty good Quality build going, nothing wrong with that, unless there's stuff you really want to do with spells i'd avoid spreading point too much in to Faith/Arcane.
    what's your main weapon?

    DanHibiki on
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    A basic scimitar I’ve built up to +19 with Bloody Slash Art of War, followed by a +17 Zweihander with Flame of the Redmanes and Dragon Seal I forget how much I’ve upgraded but it’s fairly high

    I try other stuff as I get it but I’m just used to these movesets, and mostly the reason I keep putting points into different things is I go to look at a new weapon and I’m just a little short on one attribute

    My original plan was to go quality until both strength and dex were at 40 or so but that hasn’t happened quite yet

    Edit: also don’t get me wrong im not complaining; i like playing like this and its worked for me so far for the most part

    knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    might want to look in to Scavenger's Curved Sword and Bloodhound's Fang which I hear is quite a beast with a quality build.

    You can also boost up your stats quite a bit with just Talismans, Radagon's Seals etc.

    DanHibiki on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Bloodhounds Fang is quite good.

  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I’m still on my first playthrough and my “build”, such as it is, is just “what works for me”

    I tend towards a very balanced stat page, for instance i’m at level 110 and my highest stat right now is Dex at 35 followed by vigor and strength at 30 and most everything else at 20. Trying to build up Faith and Arcane as they’re the low men on the ladder right now. Int gets shortchanged. I try everything as I get it but keep going back to bleed because Bloody Slash is my most consistent damage dealer, and the dragon breath has been great once i figured out tl to use it correctly and not give up when a status effect doesn’t proc on the first blast. And i always use my spirit ashes to distract bosses and get my hits in.

    So basically I have a well-rounded character who can’t take too many hits but as long as i manage to stay alive I can take down most bosses fairly fast

    You have 30 Vigor at Level 110? Holy crap. Are you a dodge/parry god? None of my characters have less than 45 at that level.;

    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Ok i just looked and its more like

    Vig 35
    Mind 24
    End 20
    Str 35
    Dex 35
    Int 10
    Faith 25
    Arc 18

    I dodge a lot, parry usually oniy on accident (i tend to keep a no-skill shield equipped because i prefer to have weapon skills ready to go)

    Block-counter I’m getting better at

    knitdan on
    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bloodhounds Fang is quite good.

    It felt like half the forum at launch found the Bloodhound sword and was just, like, well that's my weapon for the game!

    It's amazing.

    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I had to remember why I didn't use that one. It requires 17 dex, that'd be why. :lol: Last I remember I was nearing or at 60 int, as far and away my highest stat. I'd have to boot the game up to find out, which I'm not going to do right at this moment.

    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I spent almost all of Limgrave rocking Reduvia

    Only switched to something else because I had been running version 1.0 and when I updated, it now required several more Arcane points than I had

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Bloodhounds Fang is quite good.

    It felt like half the forum at launch found the Bloodhound sword and was just, like, well that's my weapon for the game!

    It's amazing.
    i don't think it's super OP like a rivers of blood or blasphemous blade because i don't think curved greatswords as a class are as strong as they've been in previous games (maybe the newer patches helped), but bloodhound fang is comically off the power curve. i think it gets something like 1000 AR on a quality build? with bleed, and it's still buffable. and the weapon art slaps. makes the other curved greatswords look kinda clownshoes.

    so everybody finds this as like, their first big deal weapon in limgrave and it's soo good that almost anyone who's okay with the moveset and has the stats to use it will just use it forever, because why not

    Elendil on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Bloodhounds Fang is quite good.

    It felt like half the forum at launch found the Bloodhound sword and was just, like, well that's my weapon for the game!

    It's amazing.

    I finally put down bloodhound for the blasphemy sword so I could properly do str/fai but I basically did it at the end of the game.

    What is this I don't even.
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Having a weird off-the-curve curved greatsword for smashing through PvE is just continuing in the footsteps of the Gravelord Sword and Exile Greatsword.

  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    knitdan wrote: »
    I spent almost all of Limgrave rocking Reduvia

    Only switched to something else because I had been running version 1.0 and when I updated, it now required several more Arcane points than I had
    Reduvia has been my main weapon since I got it.

    Never knew a single dagger could fuck up enemies that badly in a Souls game. Its putting in serious work to the point not even my hook claws can compete with it anymore.

    Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    part of the issue with this dragon worshipper concept is that stuff's all over the place

    the seal and dragon spells want arcane, the lightning miracles want faith, the dragon weapons are quality or dex
    That's kinda to be expected, those are all from pretty different sources. One is people trying to become dragons by consuming their hearts, one is the worship of dragons, and one is the attempts by the eternal cities to create artificial dragons. I think you'd want to just pick one of those as your build's theme, instead of all three.

  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Thinking back to my first DS3 run

    I went pyro because fire kills almost everything, and in my right hand went a rapier

    Burn, poke, repeat until they’re dead. Surprisingly effective for most of the game.

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Lore:
    So I'm guessing that after their initial goal of bringing down the Golden Order was accomplished, they were gunning for different endings so Ranni and the Black Knives turned on each other; which is why their leader is locked up on the Moonlight Altar plateau while the rest of them are out to kill Ranni's followers?

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Lore:
    So I'm guessing that after their initial goal of bringing down the Golden Order was accomplished, they were gunning for different endings so Ranni and the Black Knives turned on each other; which is why their leader is locked up on the Moonlight Altar plateau while the rest of them are out to kill Ranni's followers?

    Alternatively,
    the Black Knives were obeying Marika when they killed Godwyn, and either were turned against her goals overall once Radagon took over because Marika was betraying the Greater Will or were sent to kill Ranni for taking advantage of her role in the anti-GW plot to do her own plot.

  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Also i just got the conversation where Ranni explains her desired order and I think it feeds into some other thoughts I've been having that may not be super secret insights or anything but:
    Why are they called the Lands Between? Between what? Why are they just described as being "across the fog"? What it seems to me is that they are "between" heaven and Earth, or the heavens given all the star stuff that keeps coming up. They are not physically in the mortal world. They are across the fog in the same way Valinor is off to the West across the sea. And the events playing out in the Lands Between are the mythology of mortal religions. Like, we know that people outside do also worship Marika, the Erdtree, and the Golden Order but presumably to them it is entirely a matter of faith as they can't look out the window and see the giant glowing golden tree next door.

    Which brings me to what Ranni just described which actually sounded like the world as we know it. The moon and stars are physically far away,
    and we cannot directly percieve or sense the soul. The divine realm won't be a place people can go anymore.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Also i just got the conversation where Ranni explains her desired order and I think it feeds into some other thoughts I've been having that may not be super secret insights or anything but:
    Why are they called the Lands Between? Between what? Why are they just described as being "across the fog"? What it seems to me is that they are "between" heaven and Earth, or the heavens given all the star stuff that keeps coming up. They are not physically in the mortal world. They are across the fog in the same way Valinor is off to the West across the sea. And the events playing out in the Lands Between are the mythology of mortal religions. Like, we know that people outside do also worship Marika, the Erdtree, and the Golden Order but presumably to them it is entirely a matter of faith as they can't look out the window and see the giant glowing golden tree next door.

    Which brings me to what Ranni just described which actually sounded like the world as we know it. The moon and stars are physically far away,
    and we cannot directly percieve or sense the soul. The divine realm won't be a place people can go anymore.

    that's about how I read it as well

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    *looks up from newspaper*

    i should make a frost guy

  • knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That one frost axe in Liurnia is right out in the open and pretty easy to get to as long as you don’t get sniped by a lobster

    “I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Also i just got the conversation where Ranni explains her desired order and I think it feeds into some other thoughts I've been having that may not be super secret insights or anything but:
    Why are they called the Lands Between?
    because Land Between is another way to say Middle Earth

    DanHibiki on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    the axe is pretty skippable, honestly, you get the hoarfrost ash just up the road a little further

    i'm thinking maybe an edgy ice death dude, so deathbird weapons, maybe a grave scythe with chilling mist or clayman spear with ice spear. was thinking about doing a int/faith setup for death spells but those apparently kind of blow and you get the cool death stuff on weapon ashes anyway. i could probably just do an dex/int split. biggest problem is two of the three deathbird weapons are in the end areas

This discussion has been closed.