As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Behold, [Elden Ring]! Don't Give Up Skeleton! (SPOILER WARNING!)

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Finally doing a second run through this game, doing pure Faith

Sacred blade is already hugely fun and will probably stick with me most of the game.

• ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »
    i think i might try jazzing up my dragon build by trying out roar weapon arts

the roar medallion doesn't work on dragon shit but it works aesthetically i think, and i wanted to try out the angle anyway
    yo this fucks

i experimented with a bunch of ash combos and settled on using

highland axe with war cry - fast weapon, has a stackable roar bonus
    flamberge (which i've been running) with barbaric roar - multihit roar R2 synergizes with the bleed
    dismounter with war cry - looks cool
    pike with braggart's roar - a forward charging R2 on this thing has absolutely ungodly range, it works so good

i think i might also run braggart's roar on the dismounter and use it as the powerhouse weapon; i usually two-hand it anyway.

really happy to find something that makes this character click into place; i like it when my souls children have strong identities

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    When in doubt going for the giant anchor

I guess I'm gonna need a boss-killing weapon since tons of bosses are strong against holy

I could rush the red hot whetstone in Caelid I guess

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Got tired of beating my head against the wall with Malenia, so went over to Crumbum Farum for awhile

And then finally had to stop for the night because it was giving me vertigo

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Took me about a day but I took down Malenia without co-op. That sure was something. I didn't really feel achievement though, it had felt like I was just waiting to get lucky for her attack chains to be ones I could manage.

What is this I don't even.
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Boy I hate the death rite bird in Mountaintop of the Giants. That thing endlessly wrecks me until I accidentally beat it somehow.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am starting to wonder if they are actually making elden ring DLC, or just said fuck it and moved on to their next project

BahamutZERO.gif
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    This game sold ridiculously well. More than double what DS3 sold in its first year. Without sitting next to Miyazaki and watching him work, I am 99% certain they are making DLC.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Boy I hate the death rite bird in Mountaintop of the Giants. That thing endlessly wrecks me until I accidentally beat it somehow.

I don't know what I am supposed to do against them with my dex build run. I don't have the reach or hit hard enough on their head to get a stagger and even if I did the AI is determined to keep me from closing the gap. On previous runs I had enough INT to use Rock Sling, but now I guess I'll have to scour the lands between for enough holy pots and arrows to take down deathbirds.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
    I just ran past it

I don’t mess with things that inflict death unless i have to

• IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I'm nearly done with my DS2 experience. The first and second DLC are done and I'm pretty far into the third from what I can tell.

Fume Knight absolutely lived up to the hype, that was a great battle and finally one to keep me on my toes with real challenge! I died several times, some of them after going so far without taking a hit but then I'd inevitably slip up and get killed.

Overall I'm enjoying my time with DS2. It's a mess in terms of balance and boss design, just all over the place, but I think I'm enjoying the presentation of the story and characters much more than DS1.

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Icemopper wrote: »
    I'm nearly done with my DS2 experience. The first and second DLC are done and I'm pretty far into the third from what I can tell.

Fume Knight absolutely lived up to the hype, that was a great battle and finally one to keep me on my toes with real challenge! I died several times, some of them after going so far without taking a hit but then I'd inevitably slip up and get killed.

Overall I'm enjoying my time with DS2. It's a mess in terms of balance and boss design, just all over the place, but I think I'm enjoying the presentation of the story and characters much more than DS1.

Are you doing the challenge areas+fights in the DLC? Gank squad, magic smelter, Sir Alonne, etc?

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    In DS2's third DLC apparently someone figured out the game was too blockable, because suddenly we went from "Fume Knight's normal attacks are very blockable, you just have to watch out for the big sword guardbreakers, which is entirely fair" to Aava and the Ivory King going "yeah so every single attack is going to take at least 75 stamina to block on a 78 stability shield and also stagger you on shield impact. Roll already, you turtle fucker".

Still, the game has been very fun. Still probably the most solid Souls experience for me, I think, warts and all.

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    I finally finished my DS1 run this weekend. It was annoying in parts due to the constant invasions if I wanted to have more than 5 estus in the DLC. I nearly killed a few of them but they all also seems the netcode is really janky as they seemed to lag through some of my hits. Im starting to hit a wall in DS3. The combination of randomness in attacks, phasing and reaction times needed is getting to me there. Seems more overtuned from ER. Also the whole heavily curated power plateaus. DS1 and DS2 are my favorites by far though.

DS1 though was a masterpiece and I thought is the most fair, which is crazy given its age, of the lot so far. I still have to get deeper in BB and Seikiro.

Jubal77 on
    edited January 2023
    Margit was a lot easier the second time through. Not as aggressive as I remember. I still resorted to a summon, though, since he has so much HP (and faith builds early on have a hard time with holy resistant bosses as I mentioned)

Once I have a fire weapon I think things will be a bit easier

Evil Multifarious on
    Margit was a lot easier the second time through. Not as aggressive as I remember. I still resorted to a summon, though, since he has so much HP (and faith builds early on have a hard time with holy resistant bosses as I mentioned)

Once I have a fire weapon I think things will be a bit easier
    dont lie

you just wanted to summon for margit, didn't you

I had this thought that I was going to do no-summons boss fights this run, but then I saw how little damage I was doing and I made an executive decision

I will say that doing a few no-summons attempts first is always good to get the patterns down even if you intend to summon

I am happy I do not have the toxic masculinity style "no summons" thoughts. Fuck that noise.

Jubal77 wrote: »
    I am happy I do not have the toxic masculinity style "no summons" thoughts. Fuck that noise.

The fuck is this?

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2023
    Some people just do it for fun or find it more rewarding.

I'm doing it to try to become a better player/brush up on my souls skills. I want to force myself to engage with the gameplay mechanics more. Working on my timing, reading patterns, dodging reaction, etc.

I love additions to summoning in this one though. The ashes are awesome, its just a shame their use is limited to certain areas, pet builds in Souls could be very cool.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    edited January 2023
    Kamar wrote: »

The fuck is this?

Oh I didnt mean anyone here really just the whole sentiment of "not a real gamer" if you use summons you get in the community elsewhere.

Jubal77 on
    There are a lot of boss fights I felt I didn't really learn because of summons on my first run. I'm at least trying every boss with no summons for this run unless they're really dreadful for my build.

There was only one boss who I felt just made summons genuinely a bad option, and that's Hoarah Loux; the big AOEs make most summons a waste of FP.

Kamar wrote: »

The fuck is this?

Oh I didnt mean anyone here really just the whole sentiment of "not a real gamer" if you use summons you get in the community elsewhere.

Got ya. Sorry about being touchy, I've seen a lot of that 'anyone who invests more OR less effort/time than me into a thing is a loser' discourse around Elden Ring.

I had this thought that I was going to do no-summons boss fights this run, but then I saw how little damage I was doing and I made an executive decision

I will say that doing a few no-summons attempts first is always good to get the patterns down even if you intend to summon

Are you on NG+ or a fresh run? I don't remember many bosses where damage felt particularly low. At least, it's not Bloodborne where you need consumables and staggers for anything to die in a reasonable amount of time.

edited January 2023
    On my non mimic tear runs ive used no fp on flask for that purpose. I do understand and agree about the not getting full effect of bosses but I usually tried the boss a couple times in all of the games so far without a summon. Im watching this individual now that is doing a blind run of DS1 on YT and she is apologizing for using summons. She got pre bullied in her comments it would seem.

Also dont worry about it sorry for not stating that it wasnt a direct result of what anyone said here.

Jubal77 on
    imagine being motivated by toxic masculinity

anyway let me slam my head against malenia for ten hours without summons, bloodhound step, rivers of blood, or blasphemous blade

My only regret of not going STR build for the first time in a Souls game is that I won't be able to use Elden Ring's version of the BB pizza cutter which was the highlight of that entire game.

Respeccing back and forth between sorc and incant builds has been a lot of fun though. Magic is a powerful ranged option that takes a lot of the edge off while still keeping you on your toes when solo due to how bosses aren't shy about closing distance.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I want to use the tools the game gives me without reservations about what some sweat on Reddit thinks. At the same time if you get your jollies by beating a boss naked with a dagger then you do you, man. No judgment, and I’ll probably watch that video because it sounds rad.

Had some guy digging in to other posters on Reddit not too long ago that summons and ashes were “not in the spirit of Dark Souls.” Fuck I just rolled my eyes thinking about it again

edited January 2023
    I feel comfortable saying that anyone who says their specific approach is 'the right way to play' is a moron, whether they did it by super overleveling and adjusting their build and tools to be kryptonite for every single boss or did it all butt naked at RL1 without healing.

I get people wanting to experience what you experienced and sharing in a particular challenge, but smug superiority when there's always someone looming behind you with a harder, more pointless challenge run that they could use to shame YOU is so stupid.

Kamar on
    edited January 2023
    The ease of respec in ER was great im just kind of sad it is capped per run heh.... but if there is a game where it makes sense to cap respecs it is souls/ER just sucks in the souls line heh.

Jubal77 on
    edited January 2023
    Bows really that bad?

Seeing posts dating back to October on reddit talking about how they do pitiful damage and don't upgrade well.

Dr. Chaos on
    edited January 2023
    to this day i still feel a gnawing contempt for myself for using a greatshield

i need to be better than that

and by be better i mean i need to solo her again without a shield

Elendil on
    Fextralife has been a great resource for me but man the comments on every page are a trash fire of “git gud noob”

Luckily that’s only a very small subset of the whole community of players

I have a lot of trouble making full use of respecs or NG+ runs to do things in...all games, really.

Like Nioh 1/2 expects you to play one character with different loadouts and gates a bunch of stuff behind NG+ levels, but I just want to each character I play to have a distinct goal and weapons and do all the content with each weapon.

Similar issue for weapons that are only available late in the game in Souls/ER; if I really want to run with them, I just use cheat engine to drop them immediately instead of doing a NG+ run that doesn't feel quite as satisfying as a fresh one.

I find playing with spirit ash summons very fun

Boss fights in Souls games can be really intense, and that's often the fun of it, but sometimes taking off some of the pressure and making it more like a regular video game is just what you need

NPC phantoms are often a bit too strong, but sometimes they're very flavorful and suited to the encounter. I always summon that one guy for the double demi-human cave, since it turns into a giant chaotic brawl.

edited January 2023
    In my final win against DS1 I started a second* run as the Zwie was running into a roadblock of mob speed. I halberd'd the winning run and farmed the black knight halberd.

Having already done most of the game it felt good bringing Solaire into the fights and getting the sunlight medals.

Jubal77 on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Fextralife has been a great resource for me but man the comments on every page are a trash fire of “git gud noob”

Luckily that’s only a very small subset of the whole community of players

The Fextralife comment section is like the worst bits of Youtubes comment section all condensed into one awful pile of rubbish

the lack of upgrade mats is more pronounced than respecs

i can't max any new weapons on my original character because i burned all my max stones on stuff for like three different builds

and that's the one i'm not happy with, still.

it's not a huge deal since i just use this one for testing stuff now, but it is kind of annoying nevertheless

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I have zero issues with using summons, ashes, over-leveling, cheese, etc to beat things in these games. I'm not going to insist everyone do it that way, though, and I'm not going to pay any attention to people telling me I'm missing out because I have fun, and that's what I want.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
This discussion has been closed.