As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [TV] Thread, what a concept!

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Every character in Outer Range is absolutely dumb as a bag of especially stupid rocks. Like, not even the good rocks. The really dumb ones that end up in driveways and shit.

They also seem to have almost zero internal motivation other than “what’s the worst thing I could do right now?”

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    But When is he gonna catch that red October

No luck catching them Red Octobers then?

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Well it's just the one Red October actually.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I have been watching The Owl House at my girlfriend's behest and goodness what a fun and charming show

Such a good show. I was drawn in by the Lumity but it's amazing how vibrant and interesting the whole cast ended up.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Better Call Saul is generally, as a Breaking Bad descendant, gorgeously shot, but the last few episodes in this season have been really spectacular
    In last week's episode I found the final shot to be particularly striking, where you're basically left to imitate Kim and see if anyone in the parking lot was following them

But also last night basically every single frame of Lalo's big European Adventure was really, really great, and also this shot while Kim was reflecting:

rk4mfbt7kwgg.png

This final season is also wildly tense and almost hard to watch sometimes not knowing what's about to happen next!

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Winning Time stuck the landing for me. Great show overall.

I'm sad that apparently the second season is going to jump to the Kobe/Shaq era of the Lakers and not spend more time with this team.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Neat little hidden Star Trek Picard thing:

Way back when Star Trek Enterprise was canceled, the writers had already begun sketching out a fifth season. This included the NX-01 Enterprise getting a refit and the addition of a secondary hull under the saucer section, kinda like the TOS Enterprise. The design was done by one of the main Star Trek Designers, Doug Drexler, but went unused and, while he released the images, was never official.

In one of Picard's flashbacks to his childhood, if you look closely, you can see child Picard playing with a model of a ship of the same type as the NX-01 but it has the full Drexler refit, making it an official thing now. The prop was most likely either the Polar Lights plastic model kit released years ago or the Eaglemoss metal ship you can buy now.

Kinda neat little detail.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Neat little hidden Star Trek Picard thing:

Way back when Star Trek Enterprise was canceled, the writers had already begun sketching out a fifth season. This included the NX-01 Enterprise getting a refit and the addition of a secondary hull under the saucer section, kinda like the TOS Enterprise. The design was done by one of the main Star Trek Designers, Doug Drexler, but went unused and, while he released the images, was never official.

In one of Picard's flashbacks to his childhood, if you look closely, you can see child Picard playing with a model of a ship of the same type as the NX-01 but it has the full Drexler refit, making it an official thing now. The prop was most likely either the Polar Lights plastic model kit released years ago or the Eaglemoss metal ship you can buy now.

Kinda neat little detail.

Here's a fun interview with him about it.

https://youtu.be/kjXXltF0aKo

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Neat, that's kinda like how the design for the Titan from I think some book covers was canonised in Lower Decks.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Sports. Not even once.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    It being made by the American Vandal folks doesn't quite overcome the utter stank of LoL.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    Ugn. In this episode of the X-Files, the megaconservative snake handler church guy is the good guy and the guy running a more accepting church is a literal demon sent to seduce away the daughter of the righteous lunatic and destroy him by any means, especially by running a more accepting and non-extreme church.

I called it to my roommate the moment he showed up on screen because every religious extremist whackjob on the X-Files is the good guy, no matter how heinous they otherwise seem.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    But aren't your expectations subverted?

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I don't know why, but the way This is Us has acoustic/instrumental music playing in the background of so much of an episode drives me insane.

This has been another episode of Thoughts About the Show My Wife is Currently Watching

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Caught the first episode of Strange New Worlds, and... it's okay? Never watched Discovery, so I'm apparently missing years of backstory with some of these people, but the first episode told me everything I need to know and I was never lost.

Also it was weird seeing Mrs. MacMurray sober.

sig.gif
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I don't know why, but the way This is Us has acoustic/instrumental music playing in the background of so much of an episode drives me insane.

This has been another episode of Thoughts About the Show My Wife is Currently Watching

I say this with no judgment, merely as observation:

That's a show that collects everything single tool, every single shortcut, to make an audience Feel A Big Emotion, and it deploys its entire arsenal every episode.

They take every possible "Make Em Cry" dial, and they crank every single one to 11.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Caught the first episode of Strange New Worlds, and... it's okay? Never watched Discovery, so I'm apparently missing years of backstory with some of these people, but the first episode told me everything I need to know and I was never lost.

Not really missing all that much. Pike, Spock and number one were in a few episodes in season 2 and the flashbacks/exposition with Pike and Spock, and the admiral basically tell you everything relevant that happened there.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Specific SNW/Discovery Backstory that is talked about a bit in SNW.
    Pike saw his future where he has the radiation accident that leaves him horribly scarred and in the chair with the blinky light that we saw in TOS. He thinks this is how he dies but we the audience knows that eventually Spock steals the Enterprise to take Pike back to Talos IV with the big brain people that they encountered in the original pilot of TOS, that was confirmed to have happened before they showed up in Discovery, to live out the rest of his life.

I feel like what they are doing is setting up Spock so we understand why he feels so strongly about his actions to help Captain Pike in the TOS episodes The Menagerie parts 1 and 2.

Which is kinda cool to so heavily link to a fifty-six year old episode.

Also I think it was bold of Discovery in that episode to straight up go, "Previously on Star Trek," and then just show actual footage from The Cage.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Specific SNW/Discovery Backstory that is talked about a bit in SNW.
    Pike saw his future where he has the radiation accident that leaves him horribly scarred and in the chair with the blinky light that we saw in TOS. He thinks this is how he dies but we the audience knows that eventually Spock steals the Enterprise to take Pike back to Talos IV with the big brain people that they encountered in the original pilot of TOS, that was confirmed to have happened before they showed up in Discovery, to live out the rest of his life.

I feel like what they are doing is setting up Spock so we understand why he feels so strongly about his actions to help Captain Pike in the TOS episodes The Menagerie parts 1 and 2.

Which is kinda cool to so heavily link to a fifty-six year old episode.

Also I think it was bold of Discovery in that episode to straight up go, "Previously on Star Trek," and then just show actual footage from The Cage.

You could say that technically that between The Cage and then Strange New Worlds, it's the current record holder of length of time between pilot and a series being ordered.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Ugn. In this episode of the X-Files, the megaconservative snake handler church guy is the good guy and the guy running a more accepting church is a literal demon sent to seduce away the daughter of the righteous lunatic and destroy him by any means, especially by running a more accepting and non-extreme church.

I called it to my roommate the moment he showed up on screen because every religious extremist whackjob on the X-Files is the good guy, no matter how heinous they otherwise seem.

Not in the muslim terrorist episode! Fucking Chris Carter

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »

You might want to check out the show Wynonna Earp sometime if you want to sre a whole other side of Mrs. MacMurray. It's a pretty fun supernatural kind of procedural sort of show.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular

That's a show that collects everything single tool, every single shortcut, to make an audience Feel A Big Emotion, and it deploys its entire arsenal every episode.

They take every possible "Make Em Cry" dial, and they crank every single one to 11.

Honestly it’s fuckin wild. I’m mostly dead inside, and that show almost hits me. If it wasn’t for the fact I know the exact methods by which they are doing that it’d probably work, instead I just get mildly annoyed at it for manipulating my stupid primate brain with cheap tricks. Only two episodes left before we are released.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Honestly it’s fuckin wild. I’m mostly dead inside, and that show almost hits me. If it wasn’t for the fact I know the exact methods by which they are doing that it’d probably work, instead I just get mildly annoyed at it for manipulating my stupid primate brain with cheap tricks. Only two episodes left before we are released.

Yeah I don't mean they use shortcuts in a "cutting corners" way, I meant like synaptically. They know the rhythms our brains have been wired to expect in certain emotional stories, and they pound those rhythms with ruthless efficiency. They can get you to cry on reflex, like they have pressed your "this is a crying story" button.

I don't think the show is good, but I do think it's brilliant, if that makes sense.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't know that the two shows are related at all but This is Us came on the heels of Parenthood on NBC and it felt like Parenthood (which I like way more than TiU) was a lab for them to test all of their emotional manipulation devices so that when TiU released they had the pure distilled essence of the thing and could just induce all emotions on command like they were operating a soundboard or something.

• Options
    I've dealt with way too many shitty entitled esports dirtbags for my job to ever find even a sliver of joy in that Players show.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    My fiancee, some of her friends and her Mom watch This Is Us and just get emotionally hammered by every episode, and often admit they know they're being manipulated

I'm not looking down on them for it, I certainly do something similar with certain media/fiction

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I like that pro-gamer names are so ridiculous that at first I wasn't sure if that was a serious documentary or a parody.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Magell wrote: »
    I like that pro-gamer names are so ridiculous that at first I wasn't sure if that was a serious documentary or a parody.

Mythic Quest (an all together fantastic show) has a side character who is a YouTube game streamer who goes by “Pootie Shoe” and I cannot stress enough how perfectly they nailed the name and overall characterization.

minor incident on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Sleep wrote: »

Yeah I don't mean they use shortcuts in a "cutting corners" way, I meant like synaptically. They know the rhythms our brains have been wired to expect in certain emotional stories, and they pound those rhythms with ruthless efficiency. They can get you to cry on reflex, like they have pressed your "this is a crying story" button.

I don't think the show is good, but I do think it's brilliant, if that makes sense.

No this would be almost my exact reaction as well. Like while I don’t like the show or think it’s delivering any kind of real message other than maybe, “this gonna make you cry”, I think all of its constituent parts are made with an undeniable expertise. Just every technical piece executed pretty much perfectly to manipulate the shit out of its audience. Like it’s hard to articulate the exact line we’re trying to draw here where like I can respect the hell out of the work literally everyone involved is doing, but just kinda dread that hour of TV coming up and try to have somewhere else to be when it’s on. Except now, cause I’m a sucker for an ending, I wanna see how they land it
    Peen wrote: »
    I don't know that the two shows are related at all but This is Us came on the heels of Parenthood on NBC and it felt like Parenthood (which I like way more than TiU) was a lab for them to test all of their emotional manipulation devices so that when TiU released they had the pure distilled essence of the thing and could just induce all emotions on command like they were operating a soundboard or something.

Also yes to all of this. Parenthood was definitely the spiritual precursor to This is Us, but it leaned far more on comedy than this is us ever did

Sleep on
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ally McBeal update:

Today's episode is about Georgia suing the law firm of Fish & Cage for destroying her marriage.

Representing Georgia in this proposition? Well, only the best divorce lawyer in all of Boston, Curtis Armstrong!!!

And, uh, yeah he shows that the law firm of Fish & Cage is a sexual inferno. Its a real rough place to work! He targets all of its employees, using their darkest secrets & lewdest acts from the past two & a half seasons, to build his case. He also targets the owners of the law firm. He targets John Cage, airing his dirty laundry in open court to paint him as a sexual deviant and a bad boss.

Once that happens John Cage doesn't speak for at least a day. He's so god damn angry. He's just silent and in his silence he cultivates a divine rage that he unleashes in the courtroom on Georgia during a cross-examination that may as well have been a legal-murder.

At one point Billy has to yell at John, his own attorney, to stop because of how ruthless he is becoming. It was basically this but within a courtroom:

The-Simpsons-Stop-Stop-Hes-Already-Dead.jpg

So, Georgia loses her case and comes clean with the law firm that the lawsuit was partially because she felt they turned their back on her the moment she quit working there. No goodbye cake, no exit party, no invites to special events, nothing. She was hurt by her supposed friends and was lashing out. They all apologize and invite her out to dinner.

AND THE CONFLICT IS RESOLVED IN 44 MINUTES! GOD BLESS TELEVISION!!!

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Second episode of Strange New Worlds is out, and my god. It should be illegal to have two episodes this good back to back.

Really strong episode, great day-in-the-life opener to get to know the crew more, and just some excellent high grade Sci-Fi Bullshit (Said in the most loving way) for the rest of the episode, while also being an excellent character piece for Uhura. Very, very impressive especially after last week's firing on all cylinders. It does very much feel like they've listened and listened hard to criticsms people had on Discovery - keeping this show much more episodic, focusing on showing the crew instead of just a central character. Also it's just genuinely real pretty with some excellent sci-fi visuals.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    I am so excited to watch it tonight!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'm down.

sig.gif
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    that looks way more interesting than i was expecting.

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'm going to post an important spoiler for the Halo series, I will put it in a spoiler, but this is too incredible not to share with people not watching the show (like me, who found this out secondhand):
    Master Chief fucks in the most recent episode

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I'm going to post an important spoiler for the Halo series, I will put it in a spoiler, but this is too incredible not to share with people not watching the show (like me, who found this out secondhand):
    Master Chief fucks in the most recent episode
    his suit?

• Options
This discussion has been closed.