As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Russian-Ukrainian [War]

• Options
    CrazyPCrazyP Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    So I can't read Russian so I can't confirm, but apparently in the video report of the 'nazi' arrest it shows a note one of them wrote. It supposedly reads:
    Tim thank you for your invaluable help in those tiring times. Kill to live, live to kill. Signature unreadable. NS/WP crew.

As in...literally. It's signed 'Signature unreadable'.

Can you share a link? I mean, I can check what is written and where

Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    So I can't read Russian so I can't confirm, but apparently in the video report of the 'nazi' arrest it shows a note one of them wrote. It supposedly reads:
    Tim thank you for your invaluable help in those tiring times. Kill to live, live to kill. Signature unreadable. NS/WP crew.

So basically somebody filled out a form and the person who did the work took the entry literally instead of instructively.
    vb94nuewunul.png
    It would be funny if this wasn't apparently the entire government of a nuclear armed nation.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular

My Ukrainian friends have confirmed this.

So fucking stupid.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    CrazyP wrote: »

Can you share a link? I mean, I can check what is written and where

~3:58 in this video. (Note: it sure picked a hell of a preview pic, I can't speak for the source of this as it's all Russian)

Scooter on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    The Ukrainian passports on these "agents" is what gets me. I mean I just can't get past it. It so obviously screams "fake setup false flag" that it hurts.

What possible use could anybody have for a Ukrainian passport inside Russia at the moment? Its kind of like having a yarmulka in Nazi Germany during WW2. Sure the Allies like you, but hey you are not in allied territory.

Its so stupid its embarrassing.

Even if its for domestic consumption. I think less of the Russian people that believe this shit.

Also, even if Ukraine started indiscriminately lobbing cluster munitions at local Russian cities and towns, unless they actually counterinvade Russia and start rounding up civilians I genuinely care enough to say, "Now now Ukraine, lets focus on killing Russian soldiers instead"

Russia invaded Ukraine for no reason. They don't get to be upset even if their citizens ARE killed by Ukrainian fire. Stop fucking invading your neighbors. The individual citizens can be terrified, sure, and they deserve better and Ukraine shouldn't engage in these sort of attacks. But that's because they don't work, if Ukraine could hit Moscow with a few missiles and the war would end immediately I'd tell them to launch asap. Russia is killing 100s, if not 1000s, of Ukrainian civilians a day.

Every death, on both sides, civilian or military is entirely the responsibility of the Russian government until Russia falls back over the border.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Here's the image, if @CrazyP wants to verify

lywkp6tgx7b2.png

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Strikor wrote: »
    Absalon wrote: »
    Research fellow at Johns Hopkins University.

The military parade rehearsal dedicated to the celebration of May 9 victory day in Moscow takes place without heavy military equipment.
    That's weird. Why is that?

Probably more of a fuel issue than anything. They love to break the T-14s out for parades but haven't sent/lost any to Ukraine yet. Which probably means they aren't really combat capable.

Russia currently has a dozen or T-14s, and several of those are probably testbed types.

They were planning to start producing them in numbers this spring or summer, but that was before the bulk of their tech industry took a crowbar to the shins after the invasion. I doubt they'll be turning any of the Armata platform vehicles out this year, and maybe not next year either.

• Options
    CrazyPCrazyP Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Yeah, I've seen it, checked the comments, one actually was defending the "Signature unreadable" as contact obviously was cautious of leaving identifying information so decided to joke a bit instead of signing.
    Also 5:30 mark - Nazi stuff apparently includes The Sims 3 - an obvious choice for Nazi past time, I mean video games are bad, right :D

CrazyP on
    Родина вернись домой
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Guardian is reporting that both Finland and Sweden have both decided to submit NATO applications. I knew it was very likely but seeing it happen is a real "holy shit" moment. This is a seismic change in the security of Europe, a real historic moment.

If there was ever a doubt that this invasion was an absolutely collosal geopolitical mistake on Russia's part there isn't now. Nothing they could possibly achieve in Ukraine will make up for this historic blunder. Russia hasn't been this weak since they were getting their asses kicked by Vikings.

• Options
    Biden just nominated an ambassador to Ukraine, the post being vacant since Trump fired the previous one in 2019.

The fun part will be seeing whether the Republicans are willing to veto her appointment, since they've spent most of the last two years trying to keep the American diplomatic corps largely decapitated..

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    Yeah, I've seen it, checked the comments, one actually was defending the "Signature unreadable" as contact obviously was cautious of leaving identifying information so decided to joke a bit instead of signing.
    Also 5:30 mark - Nazi stuff apparently includes The Sims 3 - an obvious choice for Nazi past time, I mean video games are bad, right :D
    I'm assuming someone's instructions read 'show 3 SIM cards' and it went about as well as most current Russian operations.

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Kyiv Independent reports that buildings can mysteriously explode in occupied territory as well:

⚡️Governor: Gas explosion kills Russian occupiers, collaborators in Kreminna, Luhansk Oblast.

Lack of safety precautions could have led to the incident that took place in the Kreminna’s city hall, according to Luhansk Governor Serhiy Haidai.

A comment clarifies that it included a 'people's mayor' and collaborating members of local law enforcement.

A gas leak. Right. I'm sure Ukraine definitely isn't leaving bombs in the basements of potential Russian HQ locations.

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

The military parade rehearsal dedicated to the celebration of May 9 victory day in Moscow takes place without heavy military equipment.

Probably more of a fuel issue than anything. They love to break the T-14s out for parades but haven't sent/lost any to Ukraine yet. Which probably means they aren't really combat capable.

Russia currently has a dozen or T-14s, and several of those are probably testbed types.

They were planning to start producing them in numbers this spring or summer, but that was before the bulk of their tech industry took a crowbar to the shins after the invasion. I doubt they'll be turning any of the Armata platform vehicles out this year, and maybe not next year either.

There's also nothing a T-14 or any of the Armata platforms can do in Ukraine except cost more when they die.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Biden just nominated an ambassador to Ukraine, the post being vacant since Trump fired the previous one in 2019.

The fun part will be seeing whether the Republicans are willing to veto her appointment, since they've spent most of the last two years trying to keep the American diplomatic corps largely decapitated..

Would've been hilarious if he nominated Colonel Vindman.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Here's the image, if CrazyP wants to verify

lywkp6tgx7b2.png
    Why is NS/WP crew Moscow in English?

maraji on
  • Options
    GilgaronGilgaron Registered User regular

Would've been hilarious if he nominated Colonel Vindman.

I was thinking he needed to nominate somebody boring who would hire Marie Yovanovitch as their subordinate and then resign.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

There's also nothing a T-14 or any of the Armata platforms can do in Ukraine except cost more when they die.

I'm pretty sure if Russia sent Armatas into Ukraine, the Ukrainians would go out of their way to capture a working model to send back to the U.S.

Then we'd take it apart and find out that it is actually a T-72 with cosplay foam padding.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure if Russia sent Armatas into Ukraine, the Ukrainians would go out of their way to capture a working model to send back to the U.S.

Then we'd take it apart and find out that it is actually a T-72 with cosplay foam padding.

Dive bomb the tank with a civilian drone and note attached:

"Get out and run away. The next one will explode.

P.S. Leave the keys."

• Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    Here's the image, if @CrazyP wants to verify

lywkp6tgx7b2.png

According to wiktionary, подпись means signature (the third letter in the picture is the lowercase, script version of "д") неразборчива is the short-form, singular, feminine form of, "illegible." So, yes, looks like it says, "Signature illegible."

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/подпись
    https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/неразборчива#Russian

Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I'm assuming someone's instructions read 'show 3 SIM cards' and it went about as well as most current Russian operations.

I think you're right, this along with "signature unreadable" has to be trolling/malicious compliance rather than incompetence. 'SIMs: 3' if the Russian military uses the same way of doing lists as the UK (and probably other western militaries) does. So they covered both bases by getting SIMs3 and two stand alone expansions.

Tastyfish on
  • Options

They take off the bolt-on armour and it's just a tractor underneath.

"Oh God. They're learning."

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular

As far as I know their one and only factory for tank production has been shut down for months.

• Options
    Gaddez wrote: »

As far as I know their one and only factory for tank production has been shut down for months.

Yeah, it ground to a halt a couple of weeks into the war because the sanctions cut off basically their supply of, well, everything. Armata stuff would be even more sensitive to disruptions in tech imports, so they're even more toast.

• Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

Well, they can also look nice sitting amongst the other trophy tanks the farmers have. So there’s that. Gotta let them complete their collection.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited April 2022
    They.

They planted three copies of The Sims games.

At the place where they "found" the "nazi Ukrainian agents" planning to kill Solovyov.

Because they were told to plant SIM-cards. At the "hideout".

That’s what happens when most of your FSB officers are arrested for embezzling the money intended to bribe Ukrainians, or already rotting in a ditch near Kharkiv. You’re forced to send out the dregs.

Absalon on
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    The long and short of it is that Ukraine in many ways benefits from a longer war - as long as the West keeps giving them stuff to fight with. The Russian forces started with large material advantages, but they're not replacing their material losses and the West can supply Ukraine as much stuff as it feels like.

There's a longer form discussion of this here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ptG1IxZ08

• Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    They.

They planted three copies of The Sims games.

At the place where they "found" the "nazi Ukrainian agents" planning to kill Solovyov.

Because they were told to plant SIM-cards. At the "hideout".

That’s what happens when most of your FSB officers are arrested for embezzling the money intended to bribe Ukrainians, or already rotting in a ditch near Kharkiv. You’re forced to send out the dregs.

Getting not only Sims3 but 3 versions of it requires far too much creativity to have an idiot think that. This is what happens when you start purging your intelligence service.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Yea this was someone doing exactly what it said on the requisition

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Here's the image, if CrazyP wants to verify

lywkp6tgx7b2.png

I need to trademark "Springtime for Putin in Ukraine" so I can get paid when they make documentaries about this.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    The photo of hitler on the speaker like, "oh adolf, at least you're there for me" when the agent is having a hard time

override367 on
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    It's weird how their planted nazi paraphernalia keeps ending up on their own uniforms too

FRM2HVLXwAQoHSP?format=jpg&name=large

override367 on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2022
    gkb06xuuson0.png

Wondering what hey'd produce if they wanted to blame CIA. A ten-gallon Stetson, a copy of the constitution and a spittoon?

Also kind of reminds me of the McCarthyism era where they thought a communist spy would be physically unable to say the pledge of allegiance or their head would explode.

Echo on
  • Options
    GiantGeek2020GiantGeek2020 Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    gkb06xuuson0.png

Wondering what hey'd produce if they wanted to blame CIA. A ten-gallon Stetson, a copy of the constitution and a spittoon?

Also kind of reminds me of the McCarthyism era where they thought a communist spy would be physically unable to say the pledge of allegiance or their head would explode.

Nobody expects the Russian Inquisition

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    The long and short of it is that Ukraine in many ways benefits from a longer war - as long as the West keeps giving them stuff to fight with. The Russian forces started with large material advantages, but they're not replacing their material losses and the West can supply Ukraine as much stuff as it feels like.

Well that is pretty much a given. 7 largest economies in the world are on their side, including the government with the largest defense budget. Spending pennies for big returns

The only thing stopping them was "Ukrainians need weapons now" and "The Ukrainians need weapons that they know how to maintain and use already". With a long war that goes away.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    Explosions at Ministry of Goverment Security in Transnistria, eyewitnesses claimed to see some objects nearby that look like grenade launchers
    https://t.me/rian_ru/160270
    Source: Official channel of RIA Novosti

I have a bad feeling

according to twitter, the grenade launchers in the photo looks very much like a RPG-27/28 which is a russian grenade launcher that was not made available to Ukraine. So if this is a false flag it is not a very good one. Could be part of this alleged partisian activity going on but I don't see why that would be a target, but then Russian media have reported fires at an airbase near Vladivostok (about as far away from Ukraine as you get in Russia) so who knows.

• Options
    marajimaraji Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    Echo wrote: »
    gkb06xuuson0.png

I know if I was a deep cover agent I would definitely bring my incriminating books and photos along for the trip. Can’t be without them or I’d forget the plan.

maraji on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    You know... A lot of people have been complaining about the state of the Sims for the last two games, but I'd never thought it would be a tool of the Nazis....

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    You know... A lot of people have been complaining about the state of the Sims for the last two games, but I'd never thought it would be a tool of the Nazis....

I mean... the one thing you can do in them that they haven't monetized somehow is seal people in a tiny room with no door or a pool with no ladder so they slowly and horribly die of neglect.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

I mean... the one thing you can do in them that they haven't monetized somehow is seal people in a tiny room with no door or a pool with no ladder so they slowly and horribly die of neglect.

Actually, they took that part away...

• Options
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    V1m wrote: »

Well that is pretty much a given. 7 largest economies in the world are on their side, including the government with the largest defense budget. Spending pennies for big returns

The only thing stopping them was "Ukrainians need weapons now" and "The Ukrainians need weapons that they know how to maintain and use already". With a long war that goes away.

the final stage he mentions in here is the part where Ukraine becomes capable of reclaiming Crimea, if they want, like if this thing drags into mid 2023, Ukraine might well be one of the most powerful countries in Europe in offensive capability

This discussion has been closed.