As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Youtube thread for videos on the internet

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel absolutely nothing about the obi wan show but this was cute
    https://youtu.be/SDCMos-4QQE

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Fluttershy
    So Youtube has now added a feature where sliding the scrubber shows you the bits that have been replayed the most...

A feature p.hub has had for over a decade at least.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    We don't talk about sliding our scrubbers here, it's a pg13 forum.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/MFT3i23lN0A

Terrifying tornado experience May 23rd

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    halkun wrote: »
    So Youtube has now added a feature where sliding the scrubber shows you the bits that have been replayed the most...

oh is that what that graphic is? I thought it was showing how loud the different parts of the video were or something.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    Twilight Sparkle

that's been on the backend for ages, IIRC, so really the new thing is surfacing it for viewers in addition to creators

which... kind of leads me to wonder what the internal philosophy change was

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I can see how it would be useful for creators; for viewers it seems pretty niche.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    that would be extremely useful considering every "how to" guide has transitioned to video thanks to the algorithm overlords and then you can just scrub to where they actually tell you how to do it.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Or skip the "my grandfather learned the secrets of parsley from a kindly Jesuit he met on a bike tour through Italy" part of every cooking video.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Already have to scroll through that crap on written recipes

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »

that's been on the backend for ages, IIRC, so really the new thing is surfacing it for viewers in addition to creators

which... kind of leads me to wonder what the internal philosophy change was

It also shows which area is the most watched.

They updated the live video icon a bit too, and shorts now annoyingly don't list the author on them in the recommended panel.

I'm sure it is out there, but someday I would love to see the release notes for the YouTube front page.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    Fluttershy
    My evil thought... Its to keep people from watching the whole video so that Google doesn't need to pay out full monetization.

• Options
    I do pretty well with the "just skip the first 10% of every video" system

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    that would be extremely useful considering every "how to" guide has transitioned to video thanks to the algorithm overlords and then you can just scrub to where they actually tell you how to do it.

Google even does it for you if you find the video through it instead of YouTube. Just jumps you straight to the "here's how to solve the problem" section.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Kadith wrote: »

Google even does it for you if you find the video through it instead of YouTube. Just jumps you straight to the "here's how to solve the problem" section.

... But they are both Google....

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Fluttershy
    KalTorak wrote: »

A tip for making this easier on PC: you can press the 1 key to skip to 10% into the video (each number key jumps to that number times 10% into the video)

• Options
    Opty wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

A tip for making this easier on PC: you can press the 1 key to skip to 10% into the video (each number key jumps to that number times 10% into the video)

I do love that YouTube features many of the standard video editing shortcuts. Like j, k, and l being used for scrubbing back/forwards and pausing. I believe either I or o changed the brightness of subtitles too.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Jak II is one of the best games of all time.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Fluttershy
    It's for indicating which parts of the latest Dan Olsen documentary people consider the most challenging wank

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it's the ahegao alpacas

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    There was a Weird Al show. They got it on Prime.
    https://youtu.be/QiX3erEYBYs

• Options
    facetious wrote: »
    Jak II is one of the best games of all time.

Yeah. I need to get all of those on the emulator.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Rainbow Dash
    RIP gilbert gottfried :(

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izisDxCuWHU

I cringed watching Peter hit the ropes wrong and compensate by just hitting them harder. I'm just over here thinking "JESUS NO! You're going to be pissing blood."

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Elaro wrote: »
    Oh hey, Jonathan Young did a new metal shanty cover, and it's... an English translation of "Santiano"? Except they sing it "Santiana" but forgot to make the other rhymes rhyme with 'a' instead of 'o'.

That quibble aside, lovely music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw0i4BSicsU

what do you mean, translation - what language do you think is the original?

and question number 2 is, why would santiano be the more original name - the song's... very very loosely about General Santa Anna, after all

edit: which might be a much older chorus with lyrics that like kind of sort of fit if it referred to santa anna and not some saint or something else that just sounded like it, but that's by the by

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Twilight Sparkle
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Elaro wrote: »
    Oh hey, Jonathan Young did a new metal shanty cover, and it's... an English translation of "Santiano"? Except they sing it "Santiana" but forgot to make the other rhymes rhyme with 'a' instead of 'o'.

That quibble aside, lovely music!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw0i4BSicsU

what do you mean, translation - what language do you think is the original?

and question number 2 is, why would santiano be the more original name - the song's... very very loosely about General Santa Anna, after all

edit: which might be a much older chorus with lyrics that like kind of sort of fit if it referred to santa anna and not some saint or something else that just sounded like it, but that's by the by

Well, egg on my face, I checked Wikipedia and it says it is originally an English shanty, but it says that it is also known as "Santy Anno", among other names. I was first exposed to a French adaptation of the song where Santiano referred to the boat and how its crew where departing from Saint-Malo (a port in France) headed to San Francisco for wealth and riches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQd1IOyhKS4

Why I think Santiano (or Santy Anno) is the more original name is because the lyrics rhyme better with that word instead of Santianna. And in the JY version, they start off with Santiana being the name of their boat, then occasionally refer to the general, then back again (Cape Horn is nowhere near Mexico and not where Santa Anna was buried, so I assumed they left their wrecked ship there and "on the plains of Mexico" in spirit).

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I wondered why Mandalore disappeared these last few months, turns out he was busy working on this

https://youtu.be/H9rMu1XYB98

edit: can anyone who actually played the games tell me what the heck is going on at 9:35?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I wondered why Mandalore disappeared these last few months, turns out he was busy working on this

edit: can anyone who actually played the games tell me what the heck is going on at 9:35?

Throwing the quote into google returns precisely zero results, which... kind of shocked me

So if it's a reference to a preexisting Marathon thing, it's not a thing that anyone has ever typed onto the internet before

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Z0e2PAX6s man.. this is pretty well made

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Olivaw wrote: »

Throwing the quote into google returns precisely zero results, which... kind of shocked me

So if it's a reference to a preexisting Marathon thing, it's not a thing that anyone has ever typed onto the internet before

Ok so apparently it's an ARG? Involving all the major retro game/boomer shooter creators? The first time one of the cutaways showed up was in a video by Noodle who mentioned FUNKe, then another by FUNKe who mentioned Mandalore, and now Mandalore mentioned Civvie... I think two years of quarantine has had an effect

edit: and the music is "theme from Harry's Game" by Clannad which is a wild fucking deep cut

https://youtu.be/4zHTcxVjX0I

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
This discussion has been closed.