As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are you going to keep using Twitter, musk of Elon notwithstanding?

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 13
    Yes
    There are a lot of great places that would be easily walkable from my house if I didn't live right next to a five-lane nightmare stroad absolutely littered with ghost bikes.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yes
    tynic wrote: »
    As an exclusive user of public transport, even the worst of cities are mostly navigable right up to the point you have to (a) haul luggage or (b) visit Ikea.

Sounds like someone isn't currently in the process of convincing a friend to drive them to the package store so they can buy a dozen bottles for Eurovision.

But yes, I would largely agree. I think a fair amount of public transit gets underestimated, especially when you're not used to using it. It takes some degree of practice to be able to find those routes and intersections and how to actually navigate everything.

Much in the same way that I can't give anyone directions anywhere because I don't know which streets are one way.

tynic
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement
    I was incestimating ok

Ah, fucking the related variables

Captain Inertia
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Maybe?
    Well, step-variables

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Public transport in Los Angeles was basically a joke. To be employed there using public transit would have meant wasting half of free time in transit.

Here in Portland it’s… decent. Vehicles could be larger, run more frequently, etc. But my partner and I are getting by with 1 car and mostly using public transit. In LA we needed two cars.

Visiting Amsterdam last month, that was swank. Subway, trams, buses, robust bike lanes, etc. I miss it already.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement
    Best public transit I experienced was Washington DC's and from pure observation it looked like it leads to a healthier lifestyle.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I would say that's partly DC having a good public transit network, and partly DC being a small, compact city with outlying population hubs that are themselves centralized, which helps a lot and yeah is probably a more optimal lifestyle.

DC also had a ton of thought and care put into its construction.

Weird! Weird.

DoodmannNarbusMunkus BeaverMortal SkyBucketman
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    (my wife and I both absolutely love DC, if we weren't living in Boston we would almost certainly be living there)

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    As an exclusive user of public transport, even the worst of cities are mostly navigable right up to the point you have to (a) haul luggage or (b) visit Ikea.

Sounds like someone isn't currently in the process of convincing a friend to drive them to the package store so they can buy a dozen bottles for Eurovision.

Oh I've been in this situation, the trick is sturdy bike panniers and multiple trips.

But to be momentarily serious (cause I don't want people to think I'm brushing off the real and genuine problems) - most of the US is a horrible place to have to get around in without a car, and even if you're up for it, it demands a degree of physical mobility, employment flexibility, and time-richness which very few people have.

JedocElaroStraightzipooka3cl1ps3HacksawturtleantNarbusMunkus BeaverLadaiSorceOlivawKristmas KthulhusarukunMortal SkyTynnan
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    No
    Elaro wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Told @ElonMusk
    's tunnel from Convention Center to Resorts World is ready, awaiting final approval. Unlike the existing tunnels, this route has one tunnel (for now)—cars will go one way or the other, waiting for the tunnel to clear before drivers can go in the opposite direction.

how is he the world's richest person

Joke answer: Conspiracy by other rich people to make us believe that money makes you invincible.

Serious answer: He's very good at grifting Perfectly Normal Sales Pitching, was born rich, and the American public and officials are culturally primed for his kind of grift (the kind being "we'll save the world with CapitalismTM!").

Is he even good at that part?!?

Didn't he immediately break his "bullet proof glass window" with a small metal ball? And then repeated it on a 2nd window which also immediately broke?

Didn't he introduce a robot which was just Charlie Kelly in his greenman suit?

MagellMysstBucketman
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    The best public-transportation I have personally experienced was in Montreal.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
    Cello
  • ElaroElaro Threadkiller, Harbinger of the Lock GodsRegistered User regular
    edited May 13
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Elaro wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »
    Told @ElonMusk
    's tunnel from Convention Center to Resorts World is ready, awaiting final approval. Unlike the existing tunnels, this route has one tunnel (for now)—cars will go one way or the other, waiting for the tunnel to clear before drivers can go in the opposite direction.

how is he the world's richest person

Joke answer: Conspiracy by other rich people to make us believe that money makes you invincible.

Serious answer: He's very good at grifting Perfectly Normal Sales Pitching, was born rich, and the American public and officials are culturally primed for his kind of grift (the kind being "we'll save the world with CapitalismTM!").

Is he even good at that part?!?

Didn't he immediately break his "bullet proof glass window" with a small metal ball? And then repeated it on a 2nd window which also immediately broke?

Didn't he introduce a robot which was just Charlie Kelly in his greenman suit?

Look, grifting skills aren't measured by the quality of the demonstration, but by how many people buy in despite the quality of the demonstration.

Elaro on
    "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... And flattery will get you nowhere!"
    Captain InertiaReynolds
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm curious, for those in bus-friendly areas, how often does a desired bus pass your location? Like, if went to the closest bus stop and missed it, I'd have to wait about an hour before another one came by.

And how long are you usually on the bus when commuting to work?

PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Really it depends. During peak hours the buses near me run every 15-20 minutes. After 7pm its every 45 minutes and on sundays it's once an hour until 6:30 when the service stops.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Trams by be run every 15 minutes. And then there are usually multiple lines I can take from one stop to the same destination so usually it’s a 5-10 minute wait.

• ElaroElaro Threadkiller, Harbinger of the Lock GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm curious, for those in bus-friendly areas, how often does a desired bus pass your location? Like, if went to the closest bus stop and missed it, I'd have to wait about an hour before another one came by.

To the former: 30 minutes. To the latter: I've never taken the bus to work, but to school it took me 30~ minutes to get to a local CEGEP but 1h20~ to get to the downtown university. I live in the West Island of Montreal.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery... And flattery will get you nowhere!"
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Yes
    Straightzi wrote: »

Oh I've been in this situation, the trick is sturdy bike panniers and multiple trips.

But to be momentarily serious (cause I don't want people to think I'm brushing off the real and genuine problems) - most of the US is a horrible place to have to get around in without a car, and even if you're up for it, it demands a degree of physical mobility, employment flexibility, and time-richness which very few people have.

When I moved down to Florida I parked at the target and decided to just walk down the road to the other stores and get a feel for the place on the side of the highway and there is no sidewalk connecting the Target to the Wal-Mart across the street and the sidewalk would just show up every once in a while and disappear again. It's very weird and I don't like it.

Midnitetynic3cl1ps3DedwrekkaLadaiKristmas Kthulhu
    edited May 13

The local bus to the subway runs every ~10 minutes in peak times, and maybe every 20 minutes in the evening or on sundays. The wait time for the subway is at most about 15 minutes. That's my long commute, with about 10 minutes on the bus, 15 minutes on the subway (and another 15 minute walk at the end), so I generally budget at least an hour if I'm using that method, since I can't guarantee an instant connection.

The transbay bus I usually take to work has a much more rigid and constrained schedule, because it's really only there to service city office commuters, but off the top of my head it's something like: 7.30am, 8am, 8.10am, 9am, 9.20am. The ride itself is 20 minutes, and I then have to walk another 15-20 to the office.

Edit: For reference, this is probably the longest commute I've ever had in my working life outside of a few brief internship stints in Sydney. I always choose my living location based on proximity to public transport, and in Boston I also had to factor in the annual implosion of the bus system in heavy snowfall conditions, so if worst came to worst I could just walk to work.

tynic on
    edited May 13
    No

In seattle area, to get to my previous job that started at 6am, I would have had to leave at 10pm the previous night, and overnight in a bus stop, otherwise I think I could have gotten in at maybe 730? I don't recall

Buses come by frequently, but don't run early/late enough to be feasible with my erratic work schedule

Burtletoy on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    No
    Anchorage has a terrible public transport system is even worse when you consider that it is supposed to surve a large home free population and a whole lot of folks who lose their licenses for getting a DUI

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    No
    I would absolutely love to be more reliant on my local public transit options, but the system is designed in such a way as to be very inconvenient unless you live downtown or are trying to get to/from downtown Ottawa (though it does at least ensure every resident is a 10 minute walk from a bus stop)

I worked in one suburb and lived in another on the opposite end of town and it took me two goddamn hours each way and I lost my mind

Our muni government is due for a serious shakeup with half the council and the mayor leaving (after fucking up implementation of our LRT seriously badly) and some of the more progressive candidates, including the frontrunner for mayor, are smartly making public transit more workable into a core campaign issue

So, hopefully this is an issue that will get fixed to a degree where I can use the bus/train more

Cello on
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I could definitely work with most of those types of commute cycles if I could. Maybe not Burtletoy's.

Kinda confirms that even if I wanted to get away from driving, it's not feasible for me at this time. We're getting a rail system...eventually. If the city doesn't go bankrupt first. And if they can fix the problems with the wheels not fitting on the tracks. And if I don't mind driving half way to work for the closest parking station. Hmmm.

PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
    tynic
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yes

For reference, I live in Chicago which has a very robust public transit system.

Obviously it's all dependent on time of day, but for major commuting hours/routes busses will be 5-10 minutes apart if running smoothly. Trains will be a bit faster and are less prone to not running smoothly, but don't have as many stops or routes.

During off hours, many bus routes will shut down and other ones will be running closer to every 30 minutes as an ideal. A couple of our train lines run all night (at about every 30 generally as well), but others shut down from ~1:30-6.

My commute has typically been between 20-50 minutes, depending on where I'm living and working and how those are running. It's a big city and it would easily be possible to have a 2+ hour commute and still be within city limits, especially if you have bad connections or timing. I'm also typically prioritizing public transit when apartment shopping - I want to live within a half mile of a train line (ideally one of the two big ones) and I'm going to pay attention to which local busses run all night and stuff like that too.

tynic
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I hate our current car-pocalypse as much as anyone, BUT
    BUT
    I also really hate waiting at bus stops for 5-60 minutes in the fucking summer sun kill me
    the buses where and when I used them were not always the most reliable, and it feels sooooo gooooood to just be able to come and go when you want to and not have to wait that time

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MagellMagell Sphinx! Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Yes
    I would love to start using my bike to get to work as its only a four or so mile ride, but the only rode to take is the freeway, and I value my life too much to bike on a Florida freeway.

ElaroPreacher
    I hate our current car-pocalypse as much as anyone, BUT
    BUT
    I also really hate waiting at bus stops for 5-60 minutes in the fucking summer sun kill me
    the buses where and when I used them were not always the most reliable, and it feels sooooo gooooood to just be able to come and go when you want to and not have to wait that time

One of the reasons NorCal is in some ways better than Boston is I can move around by bicycle literally the whole year round. Because while I don't mind adhering to public transit schedules as long as I can plan in advance, nothing makes me more irritated than trying to get to a place at a certain time and have a critical bus or train just not sodding turn up for whatever reason. I would probably bike to work most days if they'd ever extend the bike lane across the whole bay bridge - I absolutely understand the convenience argument.

This is also why I generally prefer trains or subways over buses, because they do tend to be more reliable (and faster). Depends a bit on the city, of course.

CelloBahamutZEROZonugal
    yeah BART back in the bay area was always good for me, was just the east bay bus lines that could be irritating.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yes
    There's a bus station five minutes walk from my house and another one two minutes walk from my place of work. From my house to work is a single line and from work to my house is one transfer. I think I could just about get to work if I left ten minutes earlier than I do when I'm driving and get home from work if I hung around forty minutes after the end of my shift. Going over my credit card receipts for the last several months, a monthly bus pass would cost about twenty dollars more than my car's daily commute plus all my shopping, dining, and entertainment driving.

I suppose I could get away with public transit if I really had to, but I'm not entirely sure what I'd be proving, and I'd have to significantly increase my Amazon Prime usage.

Oklahoma City is pretty bad for public transit, it turns out.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Yes
    Jedoc wrote: »
    There's a bus station five minutes walk from my house and another one two minutes walk from my place of work. From my house to work is a single line and from work to my house is one transfer. I think I could just about get to work if I left ten minutes earlier than I do when I'm driving and get home from work if I hung around forty minutes after the end of my shift. Going over my credit card receipts for the last several months, a monthly bus pass would cost about twenty dollars more than my car's daily commute plus all my shopping, dining, and entertainment driving.

I suppose I could get away with public transit if I really had to, but I'm not entirely sure what I'd be proving, and I'd have to significantly increase my Amazon Prime usage.

Oklahoma City is pretty bad for public transit, it turns out.

To be fair, that cost is probably already factoring in the fact that you have a car, which I'm going to assume is worth several thousand dollars

I don't think that you're wrong still really, and I fundamentally believe that public transportation should just be free regardless, but that is a potentially big hurdle for other folks, y'know?

Jedoctynic3cl1ps3
    Yes
    Yeah, that's definitely true. It just sucks that that's the up-front monthly cost for anyone who doesn't own a car and has to try to get around in OKC in the best possible conditions for public transit. At my last three places of residence it would have been flatly impossible.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    tynic3cl1ps3
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Folks I regret to tell you the DC Metro has not been doing so hot the last couple years

KwoaruNarbus
    No
    I could definitely work with most of those types of commute cycles if I could. Maybe not Burtletoy's.

Kinda confirms that even if I wanted to get away from driving, it's not feasible for me at this time. We're getting a rail system...eventually. If the city doesn't go bankrupt first. And if they can fix the problems with the wheels not fitting on the tracks. And if I don't mind driving half way to work for the closest parking station. Hmmm.

According to Google maps my new commute would go from being a 20minute car drive to 1h 20min bus + 1.5mile walk

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited May 13
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Folks I regret to tell you the DC Metro has not been doing so hot the last couple years

well it’s been quite hot from my understanding

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
    OdinXaquinElarotynicKetarCelloOlivawBloodsheedTynnan
    No, that sounds right. Public infrastructure in the US only gets more funding approved when it implodes. The MBTA had to be in absolutely dire straits to get funding and personnel approved for extremely necessary fixes and upgrades.

Doodmann
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »

According to Google maps my new commute would go from being a 20minute car drive to 1h 20min bus + 1.5mile walk

My work commute is a 10 minute drive, or it could be a 3.25 hour walk down a two lane county road with no sidewalks (my workplace is out in the countryside). The nearest city to here that has a Walmart or Home Depot or some other chain store is a 23 minute drive, or a 6 hour walk down the same road.

There are no buses, taxis, rail, or even Ubers here. No sidewalks (except on the town square) or bike lanes. Owning a car here is an absolute necessity

zeHjgKv.png
    JedocturtleantXaquinKadithDedwrekka
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Let's see. According to the trip planner for DART:

7min walk to the bus stop
    then a 49min bus ride
    then 3 min walk to the next bus stop
    then 12min bus ride
    then a 3hr 3min walk to work.

It's been high of 97° this week, I think I would actually die if I tried to rely on public transport.

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    What's a "public" "transit"??

Sounds communist

zkHcp.jpg
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Slovakian sees a video about American suburbs and posts questions to Reddit. The level of bafflement is hilarious and appropriate.
    xm51i0s42ltx.jpg

C. Spike Trotman, Black independent comics publisher powerhouse, has some answers for those questions.

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    MrMonroeMaddocMidnitetynicMagellOlivawpookaDedwrekkaCaptain InertiaElaroStraightziDoodmannJedocsarukunArdolTynnanJragghen
    edited May 14
    #2 he guessed correctly, though also racism yeah, car and oil companies absolutely ratfucked public transit in the US in the early to mid 20th century to improve their own profits. And they continue to fight public transit whenever possible to maintain them.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Knight_MidniteOlivawMortal SkyArdolBucketman
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't really think she was guessing.

usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar