As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Are you going to keep using Twitter, musk of Elon notwithstanding?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement
    oh yeah, reddit viral thing, probably fake, silly me

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    A combination of the previous options, arranged to fit my lifestyle and level of desired engagement

Corporate interests may have started the problems, but systemic racism is why the issues have persisted and been exacerbated.

I'm not saying her answers appear glib because she isn't taking it seriously. Her answers only appear glib because we are conditioned not to expect answers to large, pervasive issues to be able to be so succinctly diagnosed.

DarkPrimus on
    usnTyq4.jpg
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Public transport in Los Angeles was basically a joke. To be employed there using public transit would have meant wasting half of free time in transit.

Here in Portland it’s… decent. Vehicles could be larger, run more frequently, etc. But my partner and I are getting by with 1 car and mostly using public transit. In LA we needed two cars.

Visiting Amsterdam last month, that was swank. Subway, trams, buses, robust bike lanes, etc. I miss it already.

I don't really agree with this!

I was carless in LA for over a decade, didn't get one again until I left LA for a while. When I go back for work, I still take public transpo.

Getting to the west side is a nightmare, but that's true of literally any method

Doodmann
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited May 14

This was quite interesting, American cities are build in such a way that poorer, more deprived areas subsidize wealthier areas

Platy on
    RanlinCaptain InertiaKruiteBucketman
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Public transport in Los Angeles was basically a joke. To be employed there using public transit would have meant wasting half of free time in transit.

Here in Portland it’s… decent. Vehicles could be larger, run more frequently, etc. But my partner and I are getting by with 1 car and mostly using public transit. In LA we needed two cars.

Visiting Amsterdam last month, that was swank. Subway, trams, buses, robust bike lanes, etc. I miss it already.

I was carless in LA for over a decade, didn't get one again until I left LA for a while. When I go back for work, I still take public transpo.

Getting to the west side is a nightmare, but that's true of literally any method

My college commute was 30 minutes by car, or 2 hours by public transit. 4 hours of my day commuting just isn’t realistic.

3cl1ps3Kristmas KthulhuBurtletoy
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    My new job is a 40-50 minute car commute, or 2+ hours by a bus and two train lines (each way).

That's, like, not even a choice, unfortunately.

Kristmas Kthulhu
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular

My college commute was 30 minutes by car, or 2 hours by public transit. 4 hours of my day commuting just isn’t realistic.

Yeah I’m sure that’s true, but like when you found the place you lived, how much time did you spend looking at the quality of the public transport infrastructure around there? If you don’t have a car and needing public transport is a priority then if you do planning before hand even cities without great public transport are mostly functional.

Straightzi
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    LA public transport is alright, just takes forever to get to where you want. I mean we do have Union Station with Metrolink, Amtrak, and the Metro Subway.

Granted if I wanted to reach Union Station my main option is to drive there and park then take the train to wherever I'm going, so I can't really avoid the traffic just try to predict it. Which sometimes goes very poorly

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

That sounds rough!

Rising rents meant that I tended to need to move every couple of years anyway, so I'd move closer to whatever job I had, and I never had more than an hour on public transpo. And that was a commute where I could read, or play video games, or sleep. Like the NUMBER on the time was higher, but "driving time" is time where I am focused and irritated. More time where I'm doing less worked out alright, and pretty consistently across... Four or five neighborhoods?

tynicStraightziLadai
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 14
    I really don't mind bus or train rides so long as I have something to occupy my time. I get a lot of reading/posting done on my commutes, for example. If I had unlimited data, I'd probably spend more time on TikTok and YouTube than I already do.

...Actually maybe it's better that I don't have unlimited data.

Anyways, comfortable public transit commutes are dope as fuck and I wish they were an option for more people. It'd sure as shit go a long way in making this loosely-confederated hellscape we call a country into a more comfortable place to exist as a working class slob.

Hacksaw on
    MidnitetynicBlake T3cl1ps3BahamutZEROOlivawDedwrekkaKristmas KthulhuArdol
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yes
    I walk about two miles to work, currently, which isn't too bad for the most part. It's about a half hour walk and I get podcast listening time in.

With a car I would certainly have more options to leave my current job, however.

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Blake T wrote: »

Yeah I’m sure that’s true, but like when you found the place you lived, how much time did you spend looking at the quality of the public transport infrastructure around there? If you don’t have a car and needing public transport is a priority then if you do planning before hand even cities without great public transport are mostly functional.

I spent zero time because where I lived in LA was at my grandparents house because that’s the only way I could make “rent” while being a student without crippling debt.

Currently I live a 1 minute walk from my apartment to my job in Portland because I hate commuting. Figures after I moved that my job went full WFH though.

Inquisitor on
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Yeah having a plan with stuff to do on public transport is low key really good. I remember when I spent like five years catching the train to work, and you get to a place with no mental exhaustion of getting to a place, and it’s even better on the way home when you are tired and just have to deal with traffic. It allows you to start unwinding as soon as you leave work, which is legit nice.

tynic3cl1ps3CarpyNarbusPoorochondriacStraightziDoodmannsponoMidniteHacksawsarukunMortal Sky
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Yeah I’m sure that’s true, but like when you found the place you lived, ]how much time did you spend looking at the quality of the public transport infrastructure around there? If you don’t have a car and needing public transport is a priority then if you do planning before hand even cities without great public transport are mostly functional.

blake I promise I'm not trying to be a dickhead American, but this is just profoundly not true for most cities in the US

our shit is designed specifically so that you need a car to do literally anything in basically every area outside of a handful of cities

and in a world where you can choose where you live it wouldn't be an issue because people could selectively move to cities with good public transit

this ain't that world though.

pookaRanlinMagellDedwrekkaCaptain InertiaShadowfireNarbusKristmas KthulhuSorceZonugalturtleantMidniteMunkus BeaverBloodsheedPreacherMysstHacksawsarukunMegaMan001KruiteMagic PinkshoeboxjeddyTynnanReynoldsBucketman
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Yes
    I remember aluminum for a job and seeing that they'd posted nearby bus stops, and then finding out that because work started at 4am, there were just flat out no buses running when people needed to get in. A lot of blue collar jobs, especially in my home town, operate on his that make public transit impossible, and because a lot of these places are in industrial areas, walking is also wildly unsafe. A lot of industrial parks don't even bother with sidewalks, and bus stops are also very rarely anywhere near where you work, meaning that even if you can line up your work schedule with the bus schedule, you have to walk a not insignificant distance, stand up for at least eight hours, then turn around and do it again on roads that actively do not want you on them.

pookaMagellMunkus BeaverVeagleBucketman
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    So, Austin is considered bike friendly for Texas (with dedicated bike trails in some parts of town.) It is not approaching pedestrian friendly despite its density.
    The majority of smaller streets are lucky to have one sidewalk, and even that is not a given. A blessing if major roadways' paths are not narrow, cracked and uneven terrain, and they're often not clearly delineated from commercial parking / driveways. Depending where you are, you'll have the oases of trees to help stave off sunstroke, but it's rare for larger streets.

I rent in a central neighborhood, a close walk to a half dozen bus stops, a 20-30 minute walk to my old job. But more often a five minute drive so I didn't have to walk exhausted in the dark (when I opened or closed) or show up to work soaked in sweat. (I carried an umbrella to mitigate what I could, but it's still Texas.) I am pretty ideally located for a reasonable car commute anywhere in town, with major highways more or less ten minutes away.

By bus, that commute --at minimum-- is six times longer. Even living somewhere with access to several different bus lines with fifteen minutes gaps at peak times. (When they show.)

The closest light rail stop is a ten minute drive, and it doesn't even have a station at the nearby university.

It is pertinent that I live in a nice neighborhood, because I have reasonable walking access to amenities *and* bus stops, ie, Pretty Ideal Circumstances, and any given commute still drastically swells if I choose public transit. Now imagine the situation for someone who lives in a food desert, with fewer bus lines available, and has to rely on the transit system.

I would sometimes drop off my coworkers who biked or took public transit -- a ten to twenty minute drive for me would save them literal hours. Depending on their neighborhood, they couldn't take certain shifts because there were no buses running to get them close to work or home; taking a cab could snipe a painful amount from what you earned in a shift. One lady had multiple transfers and a two and a half hour+ commute when traffic was smooth.

Sure, it's manageable in the sense that it can be done, but it is incredibly taxing to utilize public transit (when it even exists) in most of the US. It is a cultural phenomena, not 'just' logistical.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    BahamutZERO
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Imagine describing any aspect of the United States as "mostly functional"

t1iylq0d7o1p.png
    BahamutZEROturtleantMidniteBloodsheedMysstHeadCreepssarukunMegaMan001shoeboxjeddyBucketmanGR_Zombie
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Yes
    Coinage wrote: »
    Imagine describing any aspect of the United States as "mostly functional"

You in the market for some firearms?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    Captain InertiaKristmas KthulhuDoodmannMidniteBloodsheedHacksawMortal SkyshoeboxjeddyBucketman
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    The envy is real.
    (Amsterdam is kinda an outlier of awesome re: public transit and biking.)

lfchwLd.jpg
    Ranlindurandal4532Mortal Sky
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Maybe?
    #2 he guessed correctly, though also racism yeah, car and oil companies absolutely ratfucked public transit in the US in the early to mid 20th century to improve their own profits. And they continue to fight public transit whenever possible to maintain them.

They used racism to more easily and cheaply convince people of their lobbying efforts

BahamutZERO
    Maybe?
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Corporate interests may have started the problems, but systemic racism is why the issues have persisted and been exacerbated.

I'm not saying her answers appear glib because she isn't taking it seriously. Her answers only appear glib because we are conditioned not to expect answers to large, pervasive issues to be able to be so succinctly diagnosed.

Classism/racism is the largest/catalyzing factor for just about every design decision of the formation and evolution of the United States, to a unique degree because of:
    1. Who were the dominant political force in the colonies (a coalition of British capitalists and religious fanatics who kept getting chased out of various European states because they wanted to depose the existing powers and replace with their own theocracy)
    2. The organizing documents being written by drunk white supremacists, with several safeguards to prevent anyone but the entrenched power from having the means to enact progressive change- the uniqueness here is how many hilarious and absurd mechanisms are built in
    3. The relative diversity of the people living here

There are challenges with making public transportation viable, but all are solvable except for the one that really matters to Americans- having to travel with other people

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I think that positioning the United States as somehow uniquely and unchangeabley classist/racist based on its original founding is not a great analysis, especially with public transit, where things like "the US has States larger than some countries" are major unsolvable factors.

I'm not saying the US isn't/wasn't racist or classist or whatever but I think it's kind of intellectually dishonest to simplify it to purely due to US's version of Original Sin

I ate an engineer
    GvzbgulPreacher
  • DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited May 14
    milski wrote: »
    I think that positioning the United States as somehow uniquely and unchangeabley classist/racist based on its original founding is not a great analysis, especially with public transit, where things like "the US has States larger than some countries" are major unsolvable factors.

I'm not saying the US isn't/wasn't racist or classist or whatever but I think it's kind of intellectually dishonest to simplify it to purely due to US's version of Original Sin

Original sin implies a single act, not "thing that's continuously happening from the start to right now".

Like, when my parents were in college black people were legally barred from owning homes in certain areas, and when I left college last year they were illegally barred from owning homes in certain areas.

Dedwrekka on
    Kristmas KthulhuDouglasDangerBurtletoyMysstshoeboxjeddy
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yes
    Culturally, we still largely deify our founders in such a way that makes reckoning with any of our faults and past transgressions akin to treason.

Culturally, we're closer to a dictatorship

97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    StraightziMidniteKristmas KthulhuDouglasDangerHacksawElaroSleep
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yes
    milski wrote: »

Both things can be true

Like, yes, rural areas are going to require cars on some level, and we have a lot of rural areas in this country

But also the way the cities (and the suburbs) have been designed is frequently a product of racism and classism, and the lack of support for hearty public transit systems to be designed alongside those is also

DoodmannMunkus BeaverKristmas KthulhuMysstdurandal4532pooka3cl1ps3HacksawDarkPrimusDedwrekkaOdinMortal SkyArdolshoeboxjeddy
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Fairfax and The South Bay are such hilarious gaping holes in the system it's obviously on purpose. Both are on the table to get connected which would be amazing.

I'm going to a bbq today and gonna take the metro

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Help me Marie Kondo my life and buy my old stuff
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I love living on an island with copious, comfortable, reliable public transportation.

BahamutZERO
    Maybe?
    Where were you when Elon Musk tweeted a poop as a response to the CEO of Twitter posting a long multi-tweet thread about how serious they take banning bots

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No
    You know I just see straight shooter with upper management written all over that poop tweet

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Captain InertiaMunkus Beaver
    Maybe?
    Real genius businessman there, that Musk

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Where were you when Elon Musk tweeted a poop as a response to the CEO of Twitter posting a long multi-tweet thread about how serious they take banning bots

Unfortunately this is good.

GvzbgulMaddocJragghen
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    You know I just see straight shooter with upper management written all over that poop tweet

mmmmyyyeeeeaaahhhh.... I'm gonna have to go ahead and... disagree with you on that one, Bob...

Preacher
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Yes
    💩

Captain Inertia
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    how many shit-emoji cryptocoins just got spawned off that tweet

Preacher
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Guarantee it was NFT'd within seconds.

Preacher3cl1ps3Narbus
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No
    KalTorak wrote: »

The poop that made gold by Forbes

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

Http:// pleasepaypreacher.net
    Captain Inertia
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Hopefully elon keeps following in the footsteps of Tywin Lannister

PreachersarukunPenumbra
    Brolo wrote: »

Hopefully elon keeps following in the footsteps of Tywin Lannister

"What bullshit name did I give you agai-"
    *sssssTHUNK*

Brolo
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular

Twitter Thread on the smiling poop, and the tweet he made to Parag Argawal.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    Beef AvengerCaptain InertiasarukunDoodmannMidniteJedocMunkus Beavertynic3cl1ps3ArdolLabelSleepdurandal4532pookaDedwrekkaturtleantMaddocshoeboxjeddyBahamutZEROJragghenHacksawasofyeunBucketman
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Sicko.png

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Captain InertiaJragghen