As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I only have 4 slots left in my wardrobe :V

If you delete gear you get from class quests that's specifically for the class, you can get it again easily from salvagers, right?

Yes, generally. But the slots are increasing with patch.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 16
    Polaritie wrote: »

If you delete gear you get from class quests that's specifically for the class, you can get it again easily from salvagers, right?

Ja, it's a question of how long I can wait :P I may clear out some of the glams I just don't really like that much. *edit* oh, apparently ALL the quest rewards are this. Hm.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • delphdelph DelawareRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Ja, it's a question of how long I can wait :P I may clear out some of the glams I just don't really like that much. *edit* oh, apparently ALL the quest rewards are this. Hm.

The patch that doubles the glamour dresser is in a week (8/23/22).

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    They got better about being able to rebuy stuff like class gear over time, but for ARR and HW it’s very bad.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 16

quest rewards yes, some of the artifact sets (the iconic class set you get at the end of leveling for an expansion) are more of a pain to reacquire though. Check you can reobtain a given thing from a calamity salvager before you throw it out.

We're getting 400 more glamour dresser slots next tuesday though, also.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Also, check and make sure you don't have stuff in the dresser that can go in the armoire instead.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited August 16
    Yeah, being able to throw that Moonfire Faire stuff into the Armoire was a bit of a relief.

And the Job stuff you get in ShB and EW are available from Vendors you unlock while doing the MSQ. Even after you accept it, if you destroy it you can go back and get it again.

Seg on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    The existence of the armoire bugs the heck out of me. It could have been a great place to stash seasonal and gimmick items, but it's so limited in what it accepts that it feels pointless. It's definitely an abandoned 2.0 feature.

EchoKanaDachushCrippl3Lucid_SeraphBahamutZEROAlexandier
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The main issue with the armoire is it doesn't accept dyes so anything in there that you'd really like to have permanently dyed pure white or jet black either has to remain in the dresser or spend a dye on every plate you want it for

Lucid_Seraph
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    phew, made it just in time before patch;

5mheg79tnx8o.png

6477q7vvbmwk.png

ih30amhec23w.png

DelzhandEvermournCormacKanaLucid_SeraphIanatorCrippl3BahamutZEROLD50H0b0manSkeithzerzhulDacragnarok7331Neurotika
    Yeah getting an ultimate done during the patch that it’s introduced is a good feeling.

Now to hope that they confirm the 6.3 ultimate soon, and give us a 6.5 ultimate as well so they can go back to their original pace

Dhalphir
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    Finally to the last quest of the Shadowbringers post-patch content. As many good things as this game does it still really, really annoys me when I'm forced to play as an NPC who's abilities I know nothing about during a duty with hard failure sections. It's taking me out of the character I've spent time and effort building as well as gating progress on me stumbling through figuring out this characters abilities while trying to complete combat objectives.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Evermourn
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Finally to the last quest of the Shadowbringers post-patch content. As many good things as this game does it still really, really annoys me when I'm forced to play as an NPC who's abilities I know nothing about during a duty with hard failure sections. It's taking me out of the character I've spent time and effort building as well as gating progress on me stumbling through figuring out this characters abilities while trying to complete combat objectives.

Part of me really likes seeing things from another character's perspective... and then I also get annoyed by "oh, god, wait, what, how do your abilities work, what's going on, aaaaaaaaaaa"

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    They rarely give you more than 4 buttons and it's usually a combo, a shield, a heal, and something on a cooldown. And unless I'm mistaken they never throw you right into the event, there's time to mouseover and figure out which is which.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited August 18
    They definitely throw you right in to the event. If they give you time to read tool tips, it's an extremely short amount of time, and there is generally dialog going on you're trying to catch.

e: To be clear, it's not the end of the world...it's just an unfortunate annoyance. This great game and world they build and then at the climax of an expansion they pull me out of my character in duties where failure is a serious option. This feels like the kind of thing you do at other points in the story perhaps, not at the grand culmination of a huge story arc for the WoL.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Lucid_SeraphEvermourn
    Also Estinien gets to use Stardiver more often than me, that's not fair.

Skeith
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    The Rising starts on the 27th and the reward is amazing: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2022/The_Rising/hirh6wbu52
    R_7zW-SlSUZ5mxxihfM7qLwUTk.jpg

EvermournEchoIanatorDidgeridoo
  • EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Hooray! New mount get, this is such a good one.
    v3uvhaqv041a.png

Lucid_SeraphIanatorAlexandier
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Evermourn wrote: »

On that note, is there an option somewhere that I've missed to not mute the mounted music when you're standing still? I want my Weight of the World at regular volume!

Echo wrote: »

On that note, is there an option somewhere that I've missed to not mute the mounted music when you're standing still? I want my Weight of the World at regular volume!

You didn’t miss anything, that not a toggle-able setting unfortunately

• IanatorIanator Delightfully mediocre! Registered User regular
    Yes hello it's me the guy who just finished FF3 and wants to replay Crystal Tower

on a scale of N to Y how much is wrong with me

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    Yes hello it's me the guy who just finished FF3 and wants to replay Crystal Tower

on a scale of N to Y how much is wrong with me

logically that makes sense but as someone whose done crystal tower approximately 1,000 times in roulettes my initial reaction is still "why"

RenzoLD50EchoSkeith
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    The existence of the armoire bugs the heck out of me. It could have been a great place to stash seasonal and gimmick items, but it's so limited in what it accepts that it feels pointless. It's definitely an abandoned 2.0 feature.

It takes the level 50 crafting tools, but not their upgraded forms. What the hell?

The armoire is just very poorly designed from a technical standpoint and the decision was made to leave it on the floor and never really talk about it.

Considering that they literally post want-ads after every live letter, I think they're still trying to find people who have a lot of knowledge outside of generic things like writing, but it's probably hard to find 'veteran MMO developers who don't already work for SE' since they make up a very large share of the Japanese MMO market.

edited August 19
    jothki wrote: »

It takes the level 50 crafting tools, but not their upgraded forms. What the hell?

So, the Armoire is weird because when you put an item in the Armoire you're basically deleting it, but your character has a flag that tells the game you can recover that item. So the only items that you're allowed to put in the Armoire are items that, for whatever reason, have a flag the game can check to determine whether you can recover it.

The reason is takes the level 50 tools but not the upgrades is because there's no other way to get the level 50 tools, so they have a flag. The upgraded versions can be made as long as you have the base items, so they don't have a flag. For the same reason, none of the 60/70/80/90 artifact armor/weapons can go in the Armoire because all of them can be easily purchased.

The code that enables the Armoire is the same code that enables the Calamity Salvager.

admanb on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Yeah. The armoire is one of those things I'm sure they wish they could expand on, but it's all spaghetti code and legacy data models under the hood and it's not worth the dev time.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    I do hope they fix storage at some point, because if I can think of one thing which could stop me playing, it's getting sick of juggling items around in my inventory/retainers/saddlebags/dresser/armoire/fc chest/armory. I already have so many blue items I really don't want to delete, as I'm unlikely to get them back, and the number will just keep growing. And it's gotten so much worse recently since I've been putting in time on raid content.

Lucid_Seraph
    I do hope they fix storage at some point, because if I can think of one thing which could stop me playing, it's getting sick of juggling items around in my inventory/retainers/saddlebags/dresser/armoire/fc chest/armory. I already have so many blue items I really don't want to delete, as I'm unlikely to get them back, and the number will just keep growing. And it's gotten so much worse recently since I've been putting in time on raid content.

WoW devs have in the past asked if players would give up a raid tier for player housing, because that's the estimated effort it would take.

I would 100% give up a raid tier for FFXIV to get WoW's transmog system, and I do think that's how much effort it would take.

Lucid_Seraphhush
    edited August 19
    I would happily give up a raid tier to fix ff14 glam and storage. Please convey my response to Square so they can begin work.

Evermourn on
    Lucid_Seraphhush
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I would happily give up a raid tier to fix ff14 glam and storage. Please convey my response to Square so they can begin work.

If I Were In Charge™, I'd flag the armoire/glam storage as "remove items only", and then make a new system without the old spaghetti code and ensuing limitations, and either do a fancy migration, or let players manually move stuff over to it. And then burn the old system with Fire IV.

We'll see how long they can leave ancient legacy junk lying around before it spontaneously sings the song that ends the world.

EvermournJust_Bri_ThanksLucid_Seraph
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 20
    admanb wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »

So, the Armoire is weird because when you put an item in the Armoire you're basically deleting it, but your character has a flag that tells the game you can recover that item. So the only items that you're allowed to put in the Armoire are items that, for whatever reason, have a flag the game can check to determine whether you can recover it.

The reason is takes the level 50 tools but not the upgrades is because there's no other way to get the level 50 tools, so they have a flag. The upgraded versions can be made as long as you have the base items, so they don't have a flag. For the same reason, none of the 60/70/80/90 artifact armor/weapons can go in the Armoire because all of them can be easily purchased.

The code that enables the Armoire is the same code that enables the Calamity Salvager.

Not sure that's true actually, not everything the calamity salvager can give you can go in the armoire and vice versa

For example the salvager can give you new copies of every unique quest reward piece of gear other than some relic weapon steps

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    god I WISH the unique quest reward gear would go in the bloody armoire :\

SkeithBahamutZERO
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    god I WISH the unique quest reward gear would go in the bloody armoire :\

All of that is sold by the Calamity Salvager, so I just throw mine away.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    oh god the Heavensward Hildibrand quests are *miserable*

I was determined to watch the cutscenes but these are SO cringe I'm just. nope. fuck this.

when does this shit end

(interestingly, the Briardien quests are actually rather good! a shame they didn't continue those :\ )

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited August 21
    The Heavensward series gets slightly better towards the end. Not much, but a bit.

Might as well write up my personal impressions of all the series. Spoilers, I guess.

ARR
    I did the earliest ones so long ago I can't remember anything about them. My recollection starts at Costa del Sol, which was miserably unfunny. There was exactly one joke in that whole thing that I thought was mildly amusing, and it was the bit with the explosives. Also ha ha, big burly man in dress.

Then is the Ultros bit, I think? That was very slightly better than beach wedding shenanigans. Ultros is an amusing, if completely one dimensional character. As for the caper itself, I don't remember much. Breaking wind at the colosseum? Didn't leave much of an impression.

Then the final bit, unless I've forgotten something, which is possible. But uh, maybe the comedy quest series about a doofus and his fangirl and naked dad isn't the best place to deal with the whole "Ul'dah genocided another city state" thing? I don't know, I probably wouldn't put that in a comedy story.

And then Greg was there from time to time? Didn't much care for him and the trials were lame.

HW
    I absolutely hated the whole "Hildi thinks the mammet isn't a mammet" bit they had going. The story gets a bit more interesting towards the end, but not by much, and the villains are boring. I did like it that they did "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" and "they're very slowly getting away", because I like it when I recognize things that are other things. References to things you might know from elsewhere is basically what humor is.

SB
    Decent enough. I like it when rich people get their comeuppances. I don't really know how to feel about the gay representation in the quest, though. Yojimbo being briefly attracted to Hildi because he wore a dress and make-up is a bit silly, and the rich guy occasionally using the services of male geisha veered very close to "haha, get it, because he's bad" kind of messaging. Didn't cross that line, I feel, but it wasn't great. Good thing they've got better with what little gay rep they put in the game since then.

The reveal about Yojimbo was completely dumb, though.

The EW quests have started out decent enough. We'll see how that goes.

Also, I just don't get the joke about Goldbert being in his undies all the time. Is it just "naked buff old man = funny"?

The main issue is that the comedy style just simply doesn't work for me. Without anything to laugh at, it's just an overlong slog. Yeah yeah, could've just skipped it, but I don't do that. I've sat through worse and I will again, simply because I must know the depths of badness a thing goes.

Overall, I give Hildibrand's dumb adventures a score of spell speed on a Red Mage out of 400 more glamour storage spots.

reVerse on
    Lucid_SeraphShenl742
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Honestly, it is probably a JP trope of some kind.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    reVerse wrote: »
    The main issue is that the comedy style just simply doesn't work for me. Without anything to laugh at, it's just an overlong slog. Yeah yeah, could've just skipped it, but I don't do that. I've sat through worse and I will again, simply because I must know the depths of badness a thing goes.

thank you for the summaries and yeah, that's basically how I feel about it, except in my case I gave it the ol college try and if something continues to waste my time, I just. Give up.

I did start watching again with the SB stuff as it seems somewhat less overly reliant on idiotic bullshit like the HW stuff was, and the side characters are actually *interesting*. Hw, it feels like the Interesting characters/plot got to be in the Scholasticae quests, which they then went "... actually let's play this straight/seriously" which is for the best. That, and the light humor in said quests is FAR more my speed (for example, the running joke of everyone in Briarden's family doing the /push glasses up nose thing, and the WoL being like "ANOTHER family member you didn't tell me about!?")

'bout halfway through the SB quests, so, hopefully, and queue permitting, I'll be done with it before patch day.

It is a very dry style of humour despite the overall absurdity. Very reminiscent of Monty Python or Fawlty Towers. Surprisingly British humour for a Japanese game localized by American devs.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    HW
    I absolutely hated the whole "Hildi thinks the mammet isn't a mammet" bit they had going. The story gets a bit more interesting towards the end, but not by much, and the villains are boring. I did like it that they did "you will be ashamed of your words and deeds" and "they're very slowly getting away", because I like it when I recognize things that are other things. References to things you might know from elsewhere is basically what humor is.

You forgot one of the most important references.
    ”You will rue this day and rue it hard!”

wy9pfcl053mw.jpeg

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Spent a good part of today getting the Ivalice raids done. Wow, that was miserable. So, much filler in between the raids, and it was definitely not worth the time. It just felt completely disconnected from the rest of the game (I know it's a homage to some other games). Probably the worst thing I've come across in the game so far. But at least it's finished now.