As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I actually don't really know what I want to do yet. There are a few options on the table. Dragoon is one. I mained a Dragoon back in ARR and Heavensward so I know a little about it, although I'm pretty sure there have been some pretty significant changes to the class since the last time I seriously played it. I think maybe the whole DoT rotation thing is gone? Last time I played, which was Heavensward, I had a full Direct Damage rotation, and a completely separate DoT rotation.

Anyway, my other options include figuring out how to play Black Mage again because I really was genuinely liking that a lot during post 6.0.

And my third option is to wait and see what the new classes are in Dawntrail. I've seen a lot of speculation on Twitter and such that the new ranged class will be Artist, since YoshiP was wearing a Tshirt of the Ninja Turtles at Fan Fest, and his shirts are always a clue. And since the TMNT are named after artists, a lot of people are thinking artist will be the new class. It's a good theory. Just have to wait and see. If that is what it is, I could definitely get on board with that.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Dragoon is still based around their two alternating combos for GCDs. The combos are just longer now and directly link to each other.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Dragoon is all about the 2 combos that you alternate between yeah, and lots of off-global cooldown attacks you weave between main combo presses.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Isn't there a DRG rework in the pipeline? Might be better to invest learning time elsewhere until that.

Not until 7.0 I don't think, but worth keeping in mind.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Isn't there a DRG rework in the pipeline? Might be better to invest learning time elsewhere until that.

Yeah, DRG and AST are getting reworks. They were supposed to come out in 6.3, but backlash led them to delaying it until the new xpac.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    edited August 2023
    Huh. Wonder what they're changing on DRG. It seemed like it was pretty functional. (floor tank memes aside)

Polaritie on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    a
    Zython wrote: »

Yeah, DRG and AST are getting reworks. They were supposed to come out in 6.3, but backlash led them to delaying it until the new xpac.

What was the backlash?

I've got AST at 90 and really enjoyed it. I'd say that it was my favorite heal spec to play in 6.0.

Really, my only disappointment with AST was a change that happened back in Stormblood when they removed all the interesting cards because apparently I was the only one using them. Everybody else just used redraw until they got the attack power card. That was a lame way to play and it was lame of them to just remove all of the other cards. What they SHOULD have done was remove the attack power card and kept the rest. Not remove 5 because of one. They did it backwards. Anyway, I'm curious why they feel a rework is in order.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    DRG is just kind of clunky and inelegant compared to Reaper, which has basically the same rotation concept but feels both smoother and more rewarding.

AST is just a lot of fucking work for the same payoff as every other healer, for both healing and DPS

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the backlash wasn't specifically about DRG or AST, but the SAM changes got quite a poor reception and it led them to be like okay maybe we shouldn't radically rework a spec right before launching an ultimate.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I hope the DRG rework goes well. I dont enjoy the class but that's mostly because it's got Too many buttons that are Just active buffs and it makes things really awkward.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Started back up since there was the 14 day returner trial thing. Decided to try it out on PS4/5 this time instead of PC and I guess accidentally activated the free 30 days that came with that when I connected it to my main account, so no free 14 days, I guess, just the banked time. Anyway, spent a couple days leveling Dancer up to 90, gonna make that my main class for the future and ditch WHM. I think healer was just stressing me out too much (also I can't imagine feeling good about playing healer on PS5, it feels janky enough just doing DPS). Think I mostly got my HUD and controls set up well. Anyway, I liked Dancer back when I leveled it up to 70 ages ago, but now that I've got it up to 90 and am starting to gear it out, really digging it. Never feels like there's too much going on that I get overwhelmed and even if I'm dropping stuff it's flexible enough that you're not really screwing anything up (unless you try to do a dance input before a boss freezes you out of actions or something). Still don't think I'm good enough to do Savage/Extreme content, but I think I can manage pretty much everything else. Also got back into doing gatherer stuff. Working on trying to get them geared up again. Doubt I'll ever be able to afford the BIS gear, but I can work towards the nice ilvl620 scrip gear, which is hopefully passable, but might have to write off doing the upper end of that content, too. Currently going around and doing all the common fish in the expansions and then I'll get to tackling the rare/timed fish. Did all the ARR fish when I was still getting a feel for FF14 fishing, so just have HW/SB/ShB/EW fish to do.

Also, that lvl90 Dancer artifact gear looks too good, I think that just might be my permanent Dancer glam going forward, it's like 100% my aesthetic.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited August 2023
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    the backlash wasn't specifically about DRG or AST, but the SAM changes got quite a poor reception and it led them to be like okay maybe we shouldn't radically rework a spec right before launching an ultimate.

they radically reworked samurai? I'd say recently they radically reworked machinist and summoner, and somewhat heavily reworked astrologian and monk, I don't know about reworks from before shadowbringers though.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

they radically reworked samurai? I'd say recently they radically reworked machinist and summoner, and somewhat heavily reworked astrologian and monk, I don't know about reworks from before shadowbringers though.

they didn't radically rework it, which I think is why they delayed the DRG/AST changes until they could put more effort into them

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    drg needs a reduction in ogcds

Jars wrote: »
    drg needs a reduction in ogcds

Spineshatter could probably just upgrade to Dragonfire Dive for instance - and then tweak the cooldown or give it stacks or something so it's not a potency loss.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    admanb wrote: »

they didn't radically rework it, which I think is why they delayed the DRG/AST changes until they could put more effort into them
    also didn't they remove a button that was like integral to samurai's identity according to the community and their justification at the time made zero sense?

M A G I K A Z A M
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I know that every job can be played with a controller, but - and I hope I haven't asked this before - do any controller players have some favorites to share? I've played nothing but PLD and am thinking of taking a break from the MSQ as I wrap up Shadowbringers to try something new.

I kinda want something simple that can be played mostly on the 16 main buttons, but I also don't want to be bored. I'd like to try healing - I love MMO healing - but I'm a little worried about being overwhelmed. I used to lean strongly towards trying SCH, because I enjoy pet classes, but lately I'm leaning super strongly towards WHM. Just something simple but powerful, dependable, effective.

But I'm always interested to hear what jobs people most enjoy with controller. I've heard good things about Dancer and Red Mage on controller, too. Plus Machinist, though I think I'm less interested in ranged DPS right now.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I use controller, and I like Dancer, Summoner, Red Mage, and Gunblade.

Summoner is extremely simple, it might bore you.

I don't heal, but I've heard not great things about Astrologian with controller. I've used Scholar with controller and it gave me anxiety. Maybe White Mage or Sage will treat you right. White Mage has those big heals, and I like how straightforward that seems.

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Warrior ends up with so many spare buttons on controller that I just filled a whole set of face buttons with Fell Cleave.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I also like Reaper with controller, but I think there's just enough room for all the Job and Role buttons.

edited August 2023
    30 buttons on my reaper bar, not including limit break and sprint, feels about like the maximum I enjoy
    ... yeah same number for warrior, 30 really feels like the maximum that feels good to me

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I main DRG

For starting DRG I will say that story-wise, it's neat if you've already met Estinien before Heavensward, which you only do if you do Dragoon before HW.

For fixes

1) Dragon Sight should work like Dance Partner
    2) We need a more interesting/better damage reduction slash self heal (Reaper's is really cool)
    3) High Jump + Mirage Dive should go back to being one button
    4) For that matter, both sides of the rotation could be condensed to rotating attack chains like how it works in PVP
    5) dragonfire dive can just go away it's honestly kind of useless at this point

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dancer feels great on controller. You can mirror the single attack/aoe attack buttons on each side of the face buttons, so hold R2 + face buttons for single target or L2 + face buttons for aoe. I have all the fan dances on L2 + dpad. I have standard/technical dance plus sabre dance and starfall dance on R2 + dpad. That takes care of all the stuff that procs. Only real downside is Flourish is hidden between a double trigger combo since that's pretty important and refreshes fairly quickly. Could maybe swap out technical dance for it, but I like having my two dances next to each other (improved dance is also hidden behind a double trigger since I pretty much never actually use that).

I have the oGCD abilities that give team/partner buffs on R2 -> L2 trigger combo + face buttons, like devilment, samba shield, and curing waltz, plus en avant on the x button in that combo since that's the easiest face button to access quickly there. Ideally it'd be in the basic L2 + x or R2 + x, but it's used infrequently enough compared to attacks that attacks get priority on those face buttons. And you can't really put it on dpad because you're also going to want to be using the left stick for movement at the same time. Then I have improvised dance, flourish, closed position, and limit break on R2 -> L2 trigger combo.

Then L2 -> R2 trigger combo is basically just the leftovers, mostly role abilities. Sprint on x there for quick access and to mirror movement abilities between the two trigger combos. Peleton, potion, and second wind round out the face buttons. And then dpad over there is leg graze, foot graze, head graze, and arm's length. Maybe those are more important than the sideline I've given them, idk, I honestly haven't really used any of those 4 since I started doing dancer.

Picture of em:

Hotbar setup is the same. Rest of the UI has changed a bit since then, though.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited August 2023
    4) For that matter, both sides of the rotation could be condensed to rotating attack chains like how it works in PVP

I'd honestly like them to do this for every job

it'd only be an issue for dancer where the attack combo buttons double as the dance steps

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    dragonfire dive is cool. I'd merge lance charge and litany with jump skills, then delete life surge.

I'd honestly like them to do this for every job

it'd only be an issue for dancer where the attack combo buttons double as the dance steps

For dancer I think you could condense the single attack/aoe attack into 2 instead of 4 and then do the four steps split between them instead of mirrored. Not a massive reduction in abilities, but that would still be 4 gone.

Stabbity_Style.png
    I hope I like the drg rework because I make this look good(granted, I make everything look good)

qnkqpy1ocqlc.jpg

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Bard, blm, and whm are fine on controller. I've been a bard on console since the beta.

steam_sig.png
    it's so stupid but I love the tummy window in the female version of the DRG armor. I wish the male version had it too. It's so dumb! I love it!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    it's so stupid but I love the tummy window in the female version of the DRG armor. I wish the male version had it too. It's so dumb! I love it!

I would not be nearly as pissed about it as I am if the male version had it. If the male version had it I'd be like "ok this armor is just silly that's fine" and also be like "haha estinien tummy"

but no. it's female only. that's stupid. equal opportunity stupid armor or make the armor practical ok ok.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i recorded one of my favourite dance mods with my miqo alt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnVU_zrp6h4

Dang, that's a thicc body mod. I like the idea of doing cosmetic modding like that in theory, but also it's a social game so it feels like it'd be too weird to me to have my character look a way only I could see versus what everyone else sees. Would be kinda tempting to make my femroe an even bigger booba more muscley lady, tho.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Dang, that's a thicc body mod. I like the idea of doing cosmetic modding like that in theory, but also it's a social game so it feels like it'd be too weird to me to have my character look a way only I could see versus what everyone else sees. Would be kinda tempting to make my femroe an even bigger booba more muscley lady, tho.

that's a largely solved problem too - most people who mod use a plugin called Made Synchronous that allows you to pair with people of your choice using unique character IDs, then once paired anytime you see them you'll appear in your mods to each other.

Still only to people you specifically share codes with though, so to the greater random internet the problem remains.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Still only to people you specifically share codes with though, so to the greater random internet the problem remains.

Yeah, like, if I join a duty roulette, those people are just gonna see vanilla me, not modded up me.

Stabbity_Style.png
    that's true. though the plugin also has "syncshells" which are large groups of players in a group that you can join with a code and password, which then syncs you with everyone in the group. I do run into people my syncshells in roulettes from time to time.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    OK. On the final boss of Shadowbringers. Might eff around and level an alt job or two for a while before moving on. I want more and more and more story, but it also seems like a good point to take a little break to do some other stuff.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • RhapsodyRhapsody Registered User regular
    re: healers on controller - I found Sage to be pretty easy to do on controller, just because a lot of your functions are wrapped into skills that transform with Eukrasia. Still technically over 16 buttons, but not by a lot.

Also, I got an email today asking for feedback about Vegas Fan Fest, so hopefully they'll take those responses seriously - though I bet it's so close to the UK and Japan dates that there won't be meaningful changes in time for those. The one in Vegas was supremely disappointing as an attendee.

edited August 2023
    agreed on fanfest, not only was it an oversold, overcrowded, superspreading covid nightmare, the crowd management outdoors in the 115 degree vegas heat was horrendous/nonexistent

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif