As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I’ve been trying a bit of samurai. I’m 54 now and just unlocked my charge ability, but haven’t had an opportunity to use it yet.

I thought I was able to understand it so far. I was proud of myself for figuring out the 3 part combo to generate the 3 symbols all on my own. Then last night I looked up a video for playing samurai. And it kind of melted my brain. The video was labeled as a guide for beginners. But then they almost immediately began talking about openers and pre-casting a bunch of spells before the pull and it made me not want to play the class anymore.

Honestly, it reminded me of that meme video for the WoW arcane mage that was mocking how insanely complex that spec is.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    genuinely thinking of getting into mods just so that I can do things like create my Azem/Ancient without having to actually make a new character (and actually mod said character to look like how I want them to; eg, the one guy has a Viera face like Hyth but obviously not bunny ears, and slightly different proportions. Also I hate the way m!viera stand, why do male toons in this game all have such bad posture)

Lucascraft wrote: »
    I’ve been trying a bit of samurai. I’m 54 now and just unlocked my charge ability, but haven’t had an opportunity to use it yet.

I thought I was able to understand it so far. I was proud of myself for figuring out the 3 part combo to generate the 3 symbols all on my own. Then last night I looked up a video for playing samurai. And it kind of melted my brain. The video was labeled as a guide for beginners. But then they almost immediately began talking about openers and pre-casting a bunch of spells before the pull and it made me not want to play the class anymore.

Honestly, it reminded me of that meme video for the WoW arcane mage that was mocking how insanely complex that spec is.

wait wtf is Samurai pre-casting? There's only one thing I can think of is Meikyo Shisui. Meditate only works in combat (it's a great thing to use right before a boss goes into an unskippable phase transition or becomes untargetable or whatever). Whoever did that video is either full of shit or it's an outdated video. *edit* Oh, Ikishoten. ... That's still literally only two things and to be honest that video sounds like it's for HARDCORE ENDGAME RAIDERS, you really do not need to do that outside of EXTREEEEM content.

Samurai is so simple I find it a bit boring, idk what this person in that video is on about? You do want to do Higanbana (your DoT) every 60 seconds, but other than that it's Make Symbols and then Eat Them. 1 Symbol for your Dot, 2 Symbols for AoE, 3 symbols for single target damage. When your various gauges fill enough for your OGCD you use those. You don't have to worry about juggling buffs/debuffs like Dragoon or Reaper do, you don't have to worry about... whatever the fuck Monk and Ninja are on about. You just cut people a lot.

TBH I think people in explainer videos for this game often V A S T L Y overcomplicate things because they love using Big Scary Technical Sounding Terminology (like "Openers") when truly outside of Extreme, Ultimate, and Savage content you don't need to be that precise about it.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Polaritie
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Ignore openers and precasting or whatever, just focus on your rotation or action priority.

PolaritieLucid_SeraphadmanbKana
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    why do male toons in this game all have such bad posture

Only the best posture.

N4GfNO7.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
    Lucid_SeraphBahamutZERO
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »
    Ignore openers and precasting or whatever, just focus on your rotation or action priority.

Yeah, you don't need to worry about openers in anything short of Savage I feel (a few classes can benefit from precasting - NIN wants to activate their haste for instance). Just dump all your big damage abilities as quick as possible so they get as many buffs as they can and then focusing on maintaining your rotation while doing mechanics.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Lucid_SeraphBahamutZERO
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    the astrologian guides are really bad at this

they'll have meticulously weaved openers and 2min burst phases and tell you to save Lightspeed for aligning with double weaving during 2min cds instead of using it as a movement tool, but you can clear every fight and parse 95%+ just by throwing melee cards on melee and ranged cards on ranged as long as you keep your damage globals rolling, all that extra stuff is how you turn the 95s into 100s.

Lucid_SeraphSkeithKana
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    In defense of "beginner guides": it's for beginners who want to do current difficult fights. Anyone can get any class to 90 and finishing the MSQ without looking up guides and with only a cursory glance at the tooltips. But if you're like "hey, maybe I can join a static?" then there's certainly some space for YT videos to talk more about the finer points of your job. It'd just be better to start with more general videos explaining buff windows, cardinal directions and other concepts that are only relevant in currently difficult group content.

There's also this curiosity among casual players about how these raiders can do so much more with their job than us casual WoLs. Like, just looking at a video of a UCoB-clear is melting my brain as someone who never did anything harder than clearing Titan Ex with a synced BLU party. I don't even know what they're saying to each other to align these buff windows so perfectly??

Aldo on
    Yeah, that's all too much for me. I just run normal dungeons, old raids via the duty finder, and story. I'm super casual. I was in a guild back before my year+ break, but they seem to have kicked me out in my long absence and I'm not really sad about that.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Yeah, that's all too much for me. I just run normal dungeons, old raids via the duty finder, and story. I'm super casual. I was in a guild back before my year+ break, but they seem to have kicked me out in my long absence and I'm not really sad about that.
    Oh yeah, no worries then. I sometimes read through this file or click through a video explaining a specific fight before queuing up, just because I personally hate dying from mechanics that are obvious in hindsight.

Aldo on
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I gotta say, I think crafting is absolutely miserable on PS4/controller. The fact that you don't get skill tooltips with the cross-hotbar means you either need to do the whole thing with like, the virtual mouse mode and get the tooltips that way, or have the actions window open and tab to that to view what everything does or I guess have all 32ish skills memorized. Also doesn't help that I'm coming back to it after over a year away, but still, it's not like that's an even remotely uncommon situation. Gathering is more manageable since you honestly don't even really use most of the abilities? Or at least I don't, maybe I should be, idk. But the collectable interface for gathering is simple and you can navigate through to see what each of the what, 6 buttons, do.

It definitely still feels like a game that you can play with a controller, but you won't be getting the best experience.

Stabbity_Style.png
    I gotta say, I think crafting is absolutely miserable on PS4/controller. The fact that you don't get skill tooltips with the cross-hotbar means you either need to do the whole thing with like, the virtual mouse mode and get the tooltips that way, or have the actions window open and tab to that to view what everything does or I guess have all 32ish skills memorized. Also doesn't help that I'm coming back to it after over a year away, but still, it's not like that's an even remotely uncommon situation. Gathering is more manageable since you honestly don't even really use most of the abilities? Or at least I don't, maybe I should be, idk. But the collectable interface for gathering is simple and you can navigate through to see what each of the what, 6 buttons, do.

It definitely still feels like a game that you can play with a controller, but you won't be getting the best experience.

gathering abilities are mostly for gathering the super high end mats for current tier crafts / cosmetics, or for when you need like, A LOT of mats (eg, you're cooking/making potions and doing the gathering yourself rather than buying off the MB)

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    Aldo wrote: »
    I don't even know what they're saying to each other to align these buff windows so perfectly??

nothing. buffs stay synced within a global of each other more or less by themselves while you're in full uptime. if the boss goes untargetable you'll do a normal reopener when it's targetable again. only time you need to communicate is if you're in uptime with a targetable boss but want to hold buffs for something specific, and even then you only need to decide when you're sending them and then everyone will do it from then on.

the ideal rotations for pretty much every job are built around 2 minute burst cycles, and everyone's standard opener is compatible with everyone else.

Dhalphir on

gathering abilities are mostly for gathering the super high end mats for current tier crafts / cosmetics, or for when you need like, A LOT of mats (eg, you're cooking/making potions and doing the gathering yourself rather than buying off the MB)

I've been using like, the +2 per hit ability and the +1 attempt that potentially procs into another +1 attempt. Haven't really used anything else so far.

Stabbity_Style.png

I've been using like, the +2 per hit ability and the +1 attempt that potentially procs into another +1 attempt. Haven't really used anything else so far.

Basically all you actually use these days since they removed HQ gathering. Sometimes you might need to hit a button to get to 100% harvest rate? But yeah.

Dhalphir wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    I don't even know what they're saying to each other to align these buff windows so perfectly??

nothing. buffs stay synced within a global of each other more or less by themselves while you're in full uptime. if the boss goes untargetable you'll do a normal reopener when it's targetable again. only time you need to communicate is if you're in uptime with a targetable boss but want to hold buffs for something specific, and even then you only need to decide when you're sending them and then everyone will do it from then on.

the ideal rotations for pretty much every job are built around 2 minute burst cycles, and everyone's standard opener is compatible with everyone else.

which is another way of saying "are you in a current tier Ultimate, Unreal, Savage, or Extreme? If not, don't worry about it."

This is ESPECIALLY true for PUGs! Pugs all have very different levels of skill and your buff windows will drift all over the place and it's stupid to try to time your burst with other player's global buffs because some of them will even forget they HAVE global buffs, also because it's a PUG and you're not communicating that much like, you're going to get cases where you accidentally use your buff at the same time as someone of the same class (eg, Dragoon Battle Litany & Dragon Sight DO NOT stack)

In fact, that precise level of alignment is truly only for speedruns of Ultimates and shit, and doing stupid Blue Mage tricks. It's not for normal people to give a shit about.

Basically just do your thing. If you have damage buffs that you use, try to time them with your Really Big OGCD Kabooms or whenever your class' meter thingy is full. There's some exceptions and stuff; Reaper is weird because their buff *also* increases one of their Big Kaboom meters, so they want to use it whenever it's off cooldown; Dragoon though is the more traditional "save all your stuff for the Big Kaboom". Dancer is slightly RNG dependent on building their stacks. Bard afaik just wants to keep songs up in rotation no matter what.

If you're asking how those people align that shit in raids, it's a combination of really precise voice chat calls & timers, or straight up cheating with 3rd party tools (eg, being able to look at everyone's skill timers)

BahamutZERO
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited August 2023

yeah that's "beginners" in the sense of level 90 looking to get into savage raiding beginners
    don't worry about all that, you'll figure it out naturally from just playing the job normally for a while, and then guides like that can help you find ways to optimize your rotation once you're already familiar with it

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular

yeah that's "beginners" in the sense of level 90 looking to get into savage raiding beginners
    don't worry about all that, you'll figure it out naturally from just playing the job normally for a while, and then guides like that can help you find ways to optimize your rotation once you're already familiar with it

I've found the FFXIV: Endwalker Leveling Skills Guides by WeskAlber on Youtube to be a good guide for skill use as you level and what a good basic rotation is as you get more skills.

I often have to watch one if I hadn't played a job in a long time. I could care less about savage content let alone raiding beyond completely the normal mode story so guides that focus on a perfect opener and rotation for DPS optimization aren't of real use to me.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika

If you're asking how those people align that shit in raids, it's a combination of really precise voice chat calls & timers, or straight up cheating with 3rd party tools (eg, being able to look at everyone's skill timers)

no, that's my point. you don't need any of that to co-ordinate buffs. by definition anyone who is doing their correct opener and rotation will stay synced with everyone else who is also doing their thing correctly. there is nobody in my static who goes "okay buffs now". they just stay synced because everyone is playing their class on 2 minute loop doing the same gcds every 2 minutes.

honestly, the approach to buffs isn't different in high end raids vs casual content. in casual content you just do your optimal rotation and ignore everyone else's buffs because they probably won't use them synced with you anyway. and in high end you also just do your optimal rotation and ignore everyone else's buffs because everyone will be doing the same as you and the buffs stay synced without trying.

BahamutZERO
    Is there a technical limitation for why medium and large housing plots are so scarce? Or for that matter, even the small plots are still hotly contended each housing cycle.

Why is it so hard to own a house in this game? Now that I'm back, I want a house. The bidding system definitely feels more fair to me as a working adult with an 8-5 job who can't sit there and camp placards all day. So the system is improved over the old model. But that doesn't mean it's a good system. It still sucks. Why can't I just buy a house? This is a video game. I don't want to deal with the housing market scarcity bullshit that happens in real life. I play video games to escape and to live out fantasies.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is there a technical limitation for why medium and large housing plots are so scarce? Or for that matter, even the small plots are still hotly contended each housing cycle.

Why is it so hard to own a house in this game? Now that I'm back, I want a house. The bidding system definitely feels more fair to me as a working adult with an 8-5 job who can't sit there and camp placards all day. So the system is improved over the old model. But that doesn't mean it's a good system. It still sucks. Why can't I just buy a house? This is a video game. I don't want to deal with the housing market scarcity bullshit that happens in real life. I play video games to escape and to live out fantasies.

Because houses exist in neighborhoods, yes. Neighborhoods being shared spaces that have to run at all times mean they need server architecture, so every time they add wards that requires physical installation of hardware for every world.

That's why apartments are effectively unlimited.

(Now, why there's no such thing as fully-instanced unlimited housing existing alongside the neighborhoods is a reasonable question.)

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    it's a technical limitation for what they want housing to be, really. they want the housing to be like a real community and neighborhood not just instanced.

But there's a problem because the housing is actually quite expensive server and storage wise

M A G I K A Z A M
    I think the real server eater is the furnishing object placement system

BahamutZERO.gif

I would strongly suggest looking into the combo of an Island Sanctuary and either an apartment or an FC room instead. Island Sanctuary actually has more outdoor plot placement than literally any house, --and-- you only need one copy of each furnishing because it's done via a specialized glamour crystal instead. You can then put all your indoor furnishings into your apartment. Bam.

Oh crap! I forgot Island Sanctuaries are a thing. Those were added after I took my break. Where do I go to start that?

quest starts in old sharlayan in the market area IIRC

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lucid_SeraphSkeith
    in other news fuck moogles

I am trying to level crafting on my EU alt, who I story skipped to Stormblood a long time ago, and it turns out if you do that there's a fucking 19 quest long quest chain of normal yellow quests in Ishgard that all have really weird start points that are non-obvious to do before you can do the moogle tribe. Sidgeru is correct, Moogles are the real enemy.

Crippl3BahamutZERODonnictonMcMoogleIanator
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    in other news fuck moogles

I am trying to level crafting on my EU alt, who I story skipped to Stormblood a long time ago, and it turns out if you do that there's a fucking 19 quest long quest chain of normal yellow quests in Ishgard that all have really weird start points that are non-obvious to do before you can do the moogle tribe. Sidgeru is correct, Moogles are the real enemy.

hahahaa yeah the moogle allied tribe unlock chain is one of the worst things in the game

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    oh that quest chain exists even if you DONT skip to stormblood.

you gotta EARN moogle.

M A G I K A Z A M
    SkeithQanamil
    Oh by the way, tonight's the last chance for the summer festival event, it's ending at 8 AM pacific tomorrow morning. The Rising starts on Sunday.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Stabbity StyleAldo
    heenato wrote: »
    oh that quest chain exists even if you DONT skip to stormblood.

you gotta EARN moogle.

see, I didn't notice it the first time because I am an unhinged person who 100%'d all the yellow quests on my main. (I had a good time tbh and I don't even remember half of them so whatever)

THIS time it was like I GOTTA DO HWAT.

Aldo
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I mostly cleared out the various trash sidequests when I hit the point of leveling things for the sake of getting them leveled. Oh, this job is currently in X level range? Time to go wander around those zones and do stuff while waiting for roulette queues.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    Lucid_Seraph
    Alrighty, got a general idea of goals I wanna dabble between.
    • Moogle tomestones
    • Daily tribe quests
    • Daily roulettes (not really doing all of them, just if one I haven't done for the day happens to be DPS priority when I check)
    • Triple Triad card grinding (can combine with Moogle tomestones for the time being unless I manage to get them) (also gotta prioritize Memoria Misera (Extreme) and Castrum Marinum (Extreme) if they pop up in the party finder)
    • Miner relic (last stage)
    • Botanist relic (last stage)
    • Dancer relic
    • Finish MSQ
    • Finish Hildibrand quest
    • Finish EW ranged DPS role quest
    • Finish pandaemonium raids
    • Finish the myth of the realm alliance raids
    • Dancer kitted out in high level gear (weekly currency capped)
    • Fisher resplendent pole (need like 10ish more fish)
    • Botanist resplendent axe (need like 40 more unique entries? can do SB and ShB regions)
    • Miner resplendent pickaxe (need like 30 more unique entries? can do SB and ShB regions)
    • Crafter resplendent tools (gotta do a bunch of scrip grinding for this I'll need to figure out)
    • Level up arcanist and thaumaturge up to level 50 or 60 from 25ish to get them unified with red mage and clear up some inventory clutter
    • Max out all the shared FATE levels for each region (priority on EW for the cards)
    • Keep doing levequests as they become available for a trophy to do 1000 of them (at like a bit more than 750)
    • Get card from Anamnesis Anyder, dammit
    • Go back and get Bozja Dancer relic weapon (already got WHM so should be easier a 2nd time)
    • Do weekly gated stuff when available (custom deliveries, wonderous tails, etc)

Stabbity_Style.png
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Alrighty, got a general idea of goals I wanna dabble between.
    • Moogle tomestones
    • Daily tribe quests
    • Daily roulettes (not really doing all of them, just if one I haven't done for the day happens to be DPS priority when I check)
    • Triple Triad card grinding (can combine with Moogle tomestones for the time being unless I manage to get them) (also gotta prioritize Memoria Misera (Extreme) and Castrum Marinum (Extreme) if they pop up in the party finder)
    • Miner relic (last stage)
    • Botanist relic (last stage)
    • Dancer relic
    • Finish MSQ
    • Finish Hildibrand quest
    • Finish EW ranged DPS role quest
    • Finish pandaemonium raids
    • Finish the myth of the realm alliance raids
    • Dancer kitted out in high level gear (weekly currency capped)
    • Fisher resplendent pole (need like 10ish more fish)
    • Botanist resplendent axe (need like 40 more unique entries? can do SB and ShB regions)
    • Miner resplendent pickaxe (need like 30 more unique entries? can do SB and ShB regions)
    • Crafter resplendent tools (gotta do a bunch of scrip grinding for this I'll need to figure out)
    • Level up arcanist and thaumaturge up to level 50 or 60 from 25ish to get them unified with red mage and clear up some inventory clutter
    • Max out all the shared FATE levels for each region (priority on EW for the cards)
    • Keep doing levequests as they become available for a trophy to do 1000 of them (at like a bit more than 750)
    • Get card from Anamnesis Anyder, dammit
    • Go back and get Bozja Dancer relic weapon (already got WHM so should be easier a 2nd time)
    • Do weekly gated stuff when available (custom deliveries, wonderous tails, etc)

I would divide that list into categories like 'gathering/crafting grinding' and 'duties/instances', and when you don't know what you want to do on a particular day you should look at those categories and choose from what sounds like most fun.

Stabbity Style
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2023
    I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of XIV(still in the free trial), but I'm doing a Tremere Thaumaturge, so any good advice? I just joined a Grand Company, so not sure how much longer I can enjoy the freeplay benefits. :P

Also, Triple Triad is perfect, but how do I edit my deck?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Kana
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of XIV(still in the free trial), but I'm doing a Tremere Thaumaturge, so any good advice? I just joined a Grand Company, so not sure how much longer I can enjoy the freeplay benefits. :P

Grand Companies are unlocked at level 20. The free trial goes up to level 70 including the first expansion. You've got a long, long way to go.

For Triple Triad, find the Gold Saucer menu, it's in the first menu under your character, inventory, etc.

cj iwakura wrote: »

Editing your decks should be under the gold saucer menu. Can't recall offhand which of the main menus that falls under though.

Thaumaturge is pretty straitforward I feel - fire spends MP for high damage, blizzard switches to a stance that recovers MP very fast, and thunder is a DoT to keep ticking. Everything else builds on top of that basic loop. Transpose is used at lower levels but stops being as useful once you get Fire III/Blizzard III, iirc.

Grand Companies are fairly early on (can't recall exactly what level it is)... the trial goes through level 60 currently and is getting extended to 70 (adding the entirety of Stormblood) soon. There's a lot of level 50/60 content as well (since the entire patch cycle between expansions keeps adding to the current level caps - there's probably around as much stuff at 50 as for 1-49 and so on, especially considering the 8 and 24 man raid sets and such)

the free trial's going up to 70 with both heavensward and stormblood content soon so no where near the end of it at level 20 in the main story requirements

BahamutZERO.gif
    Lucid_Seraph
    the free trial's going up to 70 with both heavensward and stormblood content soon so no where near the end of it at level 20 in the main story requirements

that's gonna be so insane bc it's gonna include Eureka which is like...

You could legit play the trial for fucking ever and it would take you a very long ass time to run out of Content.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also, watching some fireworks, don't know the occasion, but I was down for it:
    yifvvn7jat1g.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    It's The Rising, the game's yearly birthday event
    This one is special, because it's the 10th anniversary of A Realm Reborn (aka 2.0, the game we're playing now)

Stabbity Stylecj iwakuraSkeith