As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    School of the Viper Witcher.
    They're even trained for the "hunt"
    The animations looked nice but the the joined blades look dumb.
    7/10
    1 of the points is a bonus point because I counted over 20 useless straps/buckles on the class armor.

Bless your heart.
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I really, really, really hope we get Jill's outfit. It's so well designed. He did say there'd be more gear than what was shown, so maybe.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Caedwyrcj iwakura
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Viper: A Dragoon and a Ninja got drunk one night......

Just_Bri_Thanks
  • McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Go on.

steam_sig.png
    Just_Bri_ThanksKana
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    jon-stewart-popcorn-gif-1.gif

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    So is there something I'm missing with Eureka Orthos?

I did the first 10 floors a couple weeks ago, but now every time I queue for 11-20 it says 7m wait time, but I can sit in the queue for literally hours and it never goes to even 2/4.

I assume people are getting in, to have the queue time set, but it seems like it just doesn't want to put me in one, ever.

EDIT: of course, I wait in queue for over an hour and I tab out for what seemed like 10 seconds to find an email and I missed the queue. I've spent 5 hours at least in the queue for this one thing over the past week, never getting it to pop. Bleh. And requeuing requires going all the way back into the stupid side area of a side area and that is dumb!

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    if it's anything like the other deep dungeons 1-10 is the best for EXP and the easiest to finish so people dont really do past that (And from experience later orthos is a nightmare)

M A G I K A Z A M
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    heenato wrote: »
    if it's anything like the other deep dungeons 1-10 is the best for EXP and the easiest to finish so people dont really do past that (And from experience later orthos is a nightmare)

Orthos is... unforgiving, to a ridiculous degree. Mechanics on mobs are just instant death for failing them after 21.

That said, soloing 21-30 isn't too bad. A group with decent gear should make short work of it. But for farming... 1-10 or full runs are the only things people are going to do probably (depending on if they're after xp or loot)

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    Orthos is also kind of a slog compared to the other two. Everything is spongy in there, even on lower floors.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I just got the Highwind back, so how far am I into ARR?

The story's had some fun bits, but by and large, it's really spinning its wheels on some of these fetch quests.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

The story's had some fun bits, but by and large, it's really spinning its wheels on some of these fetch quests.

I do not remember when things happen in relation to each other all the way back then, what is the current required level for the main sequence quest you are in? Level 50 would be a max level for that stretch, so how close to 50 the quests require would get you a rough idea of how far along you are.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Main_Scenario_Quests

edited October 2023
    you're like right before starting the last stretch of 2.0

heenato on
    M A G I K A Z A M
    Stabbity Style
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2023

2.0 and 2.xx are definitely the most "spinning wheels with fetch quests" you'll get in the entire game, so there's nowhere to go but up in that regard. 2.55 and then HW is gonna be fun, tho :D

Edit: Can't remember if they prompt it, I don't think they do, but I'd give the HW trailer a whirl after you finish 2.55. I always find it fun to watch the trailer before diving into the associated xpac.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    KanaLucid_Seraph
    to be fair, they're currently in coerthas which is ARR spinning its wheels as hard as possible.

M A G I K A Z A M
    to be fair, they're currently in coerthas which is ARR spinning its wheels as hard as possible.

I still feel like the pre-Titan stuff was the most blatant.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

I figured out the Inquisitors were scumbags hours ago, I didn't need to hunt down ten different NPCs and packs of items to have that nail hit the coffin. :P

wVEsyIc.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular

didn't they remove most of the pre-Titan wheel spinning in the ARR crunch?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    admanb wrote: »

didn't they remove most of the pre-Titan wheel spinning in the ARR crunch?

they did, coerthas is the most wheel-spinning of the remaining stretches of content in 2.0, but also at least it all happens in the same zone instead of sending you back and forth across the whole world constantly

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    cj iwakuraSkeithDonnicton
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Every time that I fight the first boss of Sohm Al, I have to remind myself that no, no one other than me played Little Town Hero. Still, you'd think that at least some people would think to try to kill the bugs that are slowly flying towards the giant bug-eating plant.

• CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    The tuning of that fight since it was released has always been such that the penalty for not killing the bugs has been inconsequential and you are better off just killing the boss.

Caedwyr on
    AldoBahamutZEROTamerBill
    Sometimes I let it eat me on purpose, as a joke

BahamutZERO.gif
    Well, it sure feels like this game turned into FFXII after the Garuda fight, but it was a blast. (Even if over really fast, possibly because of some OP party members...)

Fumi was owning the wind like a boss, so there's that.

u9cqcisj9r5h.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
    Stabbity StylePolaritieIanator
    Garuda still feels like one of the more janky trials in the game, along with like, Ramuh and King Mog. Feels like they got better at being clear about mechanics later in the game.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Polaritie
    they completely redid the king mog fight actually, it's more like a modern boss design now

BahamutZERO.gif
    Stabbity StyleDonnicton
    King Mog was fixed recently. It's pretty straightforward now.

Most of the trials as you work through the MSQ will be pretty trivial until Stormblood. They didn't really lock in how to handle player scaling.

Stabbity StyleSkeithDonnicton
    they completely redid the king mog fight actually, it's more like a modern boss design now

Ah, I haven't really been keeping up on the old content changes they've been doing. That's nice. I remember doing it EX back when it was relatively fresh and it being a confusing pain. I'm also just not good at EX trials, tho.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The tuning of that fight since it was released has always been such that the penalty for not killing the bugs has been inconsequential and you are better off just killing the boss.

never really changes either, the last boss of Stigma Dreamscape in EW was exactly the same.

Caedwyr
    they didn't touch the EX but yeah. King mog normal makes a lot more sense because it would be a bit much to be the first mandatory 8-man trial now.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Honestly, I wonder if it wouldn't be amiss to do a pass on some of those early trials just to clean them up a bit and make them more interesting for the level period like they did with Cape Westwind. For being such big story beats, they just seem to crumple.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly, I wonder if it wouldn't be amiss to do a pass on some of those early trials just to clean them up a bit and make them more interesting for the level period like they did with Cape Westwind. For being such big story beats, they just seem to crumple.

Who knows, they actually might. I know they've done some cleanup on some of the earlier dungeons while trying to get stuff setup for duties.

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited October 2023
    I could imagine them sprucing up the mandatory trials if they add the NPC party option to them like they did for the mandatory dungeons

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Skeith
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I could imagine them sprucing up the mandatory trials if they add the NPC party option to them like they did for the mandatory dungeons

If they do make MSQ trials trust territory, I want the Susano trial helpers to be decked out for summer and for a fishing trip.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    BahamutZEROCaedwyrQanamil
    Well, I guess I officially hit the level grind wall, since the next story mission is two full levels away, and all the quests seem to offer minuscule amounts of XP in comparison...

wVEsyIc.png
    yeaaah the stretch from coerthas to endgame is really not great with the EXP curve even after being cleaned up a bit. For what it's worth this is kind of the only time you will ever experience it, and it will be alleviated by like doing A leveling roulette and whatever the closest dungeon is, which for you is probably either stone vigil, Darkhold or aurum vale.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited October 2023
    Best source for EXP grind is the daily leveling roulette first of the day bonus, followed by dungeon clears for whatever the highest level dungeons you have access to are. If you enjoy PvP the first frontline roulette of the day exp bonus is also good, and just grinding frontline if you really enjoy it is a decent break from dungeon grinding.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    I have no idea what any of that is. :lol:

wVEsyIc.png

On the first page of the duty finder, there's a list of roulettes, though some of them might be greyed out or just not show up at all. They give extra xp/currency if you do them once a day (still usually decent xp doing them multiple times, but you only get the bonus once per day). That said, have you picked up all the optional dungeons yet? Can't remember if the Hildibrand quests are available for you either, that might be worth some XP. And I think you probably did the Crystal Tower stuff since that's mandatory now?

Stabbity_Style.png
    edited October 2023

if you go to the duty finder (the menu you used to join story dungeons and trials) the leftmost tab will be roulettes and for you should show "guildhests", "leveling", and "frontlines." Skip guildhests, leveling is great, frontlines is PvP.

if you've been mainlining the story you won't have unlocked Darkhold or Aurum Vale. The quest for Darkhold is in Coerthas and Aurum Vale is in Western Thanalan.

admanb on

On the first page of the duty finder, there's a list of roulettes, though some of them might be greyed out or just not show up at all. They give extra xp/currency if you do them once a day (still usually decent xp doing them multiple times, but you only get the bonus once per day). That said, have you picked up all the optional dungeons yet? Can't remember if the Hildibrand quests are available for you either, that might be worth some XP. And I think you probably did the Crystal Tower stuff since that's mandatory now?

Crystal Tower is level 50.