As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    If you're low level getting the first time bonus for each guildhest isn't bad. The queues are quick and they're just single fights.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I have no idea what any of that is. :lol:

On the first page of the duty finder, there's a list of roulettes, though some of them might be greyed out or just not show up at all. They give extra xp/currency if you do them once a day (still usually decent xp doing them multiple times, but you only get the bonus once per day). That said, have you picked up all the optional dungeons yet? Can't remember if the Hildibrand quests are available for you either, that might be worth some XP. And I think you probably did the Crystal Tower stuff since that's mandatory now?

I haven't done anything outside of the main story apart from the Thaumaturge quests. The side quests all seem boring and/or have terrible rewards.

wVEsyIc.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

On the first page of the duty finder, there's a list of roulettes, though some of them might be greyed out or just not show up at all. They give extra xp/currency if you do them once a day (still usually decent xp doing them multiple times, but you only get the bonus once per day). That said, have you picked up all the optional dungeons yet? Can't remember if the Hildibrand quests are available for you either, that might be worth some XP. And I think you probably did the Crystal Tower stuff since that's mandatory now?

I haven't done anything outside of the main story apart from the Thaumaturge quests. The side quests all seem boring and/or have terrible rewards.

There's a different icon used for sidequests that actually unlock things (the one with a + on it), you can more or less ignore most others.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

This might be useful for you:
    https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Some of that stuff is probably not anything you need to worry about, but if you're looking to level up, definitely look for dungeons/trials/raids you haven't unlocked yet.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    gotta unlock dying your gear

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    The very basic version is: Blue quests (Blue background symbol with a + on it) unlock stuff. You can ignore most of the ones that unlock classes unless you want that class, but take on any and all that are otherwise.

There are some hidden gems among the ARR vanilla quests, that said.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Been itching to play, so logged in for the first time in like a year and a half. No idea what all this stuff is in my bags, questlog, etc. I do love that the game gives you recommendations of what to do.

I might just start a fresh character, though. My one character wasn't super far along anyway. I remember enjoying the story/MSQ and the leveling process so wouldn't mind revisiting that.

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Honestly, I wonder if it wouldn't be amiss to do a pass on some of those early trials just to clean them up a bit and make them more interesting for the level period like they did with Cape Westwind. For being such big story beats, they just seem to crumple.

Maybe they could give Ifrit and Garuda actual themes.

Yeah, I went there.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Sheesh, that Operation Archon mission was no joke... actually had to go get some proper gear, since the other Scions just wanted to stand and watch, jerks.

Ah well, behold, slayer of demons, etc.

d0pk9k00di0c.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Huh, turns out Susan Calloway, singer of a few FF14 songs (notably Answers, Dragonsong, and Revolutions) is a TERF goose :< Got uninvited from one FF14 fancon already.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    that blows

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Yeah there's social media rumblings about it, she apparently was unaware that Twitter likes are publicly displayed, so when fans spotted a pretty reprehensible like history dating back like a year on Twitter, she blamed hackers and then deleted her account.

Ah fuck.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    The Fall Guys collab is neat but the stage variety is dire. Even just a third possible game for the first two stages would've went a LONG way.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    that's going to be one rare title if they stick to the 2 month time frame

I don't even think I want to do 100 matches, let alone 100 wins.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I've got my elite cascadier title, I'm set

Don't feel like they're gonna have a title I want to use more than Domitrix. Closest they'll let me get.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I was so excited that Fall Guys would be a permanent add to GC. Alas......

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I was so excited that Fall Guys would be a permanent add to GC. Alas......

They said they're going to bring it back periodically, which I think is actually better. I think if this were in the game always, it would be kinda like chocobo racing where it ends up not being very popular once everyone gets the rewards they want from it, and players for it would get pretty sparse. This way, whenever they bring it back it will come with a spike in popularity.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    There's an achievement for getting 1st 100 times.

I feel bad for the people who are going to try for that before the end of the year.

Also I think I'm going to need to use a controller for it. It feels off using kbam to try to get through the obstacle courses.

Maybe it's no better though, dunno.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Someone posted on the subreddit with the completed 50 wins achievement. I have 1 out of like 8 or 10 attempts. D:

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
    I decided to get back into trusts, after stopping with everyone at level 81. My lowest remaining combat class is a level 81 Black Mage, so I decided to try taking it through a Tower of Zot trust.

Yeah, no, not happening. Not with that dungeon, and that class.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I see the 100 fall guy wins achievo the same as, I don't know, winning a ton of mahjong. It's just there for psychos.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There are ways to game the queue system to drop you in solo so you default a win, which I assume is what some of these people have been doing.

Qanamil wrote: »
    I see the 100 fall guy wins achievo the same as, I don't know, winning a ton of mahjong. It's just there for psychos.

At least the fall guys one is straightforward. The mahjong one requires you to learn an entirely new complicated, baffling game.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    actually mahjong is quite old

rokotcs6kcbf.png

I wonder if the event is going to be prone to having people just repeatedly afk through the first round. It's the same reward as coming in 17th place, and as a moral bonus it makes things easier for the people who are actively trying to win.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think the time/reward is way better the further you get and you still have to interact to leave the match and requeue after you lose

BahamutZERO.gif
    edited November 2023
    jothki wrote: »
    I decided to get back into trusts, after stopping with everyone at level 81. My lowest remaining combat class is a level 81 Black Mage, so I decided to try taking it through a Tower of Zot trust.

Yeah, no, not happening. Not with that dungeon, and that class.

I feel like BLM has been in a bad spot for years now. It was my main job up to the end of Stormblood when it was blatantly obvious RDM was better in every possible regard. I mean, sure, BLM had a higher dps potential I guess, but the situations where they could take advantage of it were not terribly common.

And with the higher complexity that boss mechanics have gotten since then, it's just worse. Sure, they've also gotten some tools to try to mitigate that, but fundamentally it's a job that feels like it was made for a different game entirely.

Also I almost never see BLM's being played in any duty finders, for anything, really. Hell, I have it at 90, but it was leveled 80-90 entirely via wonderous tales. I haven't actually played it since ShB.

Though, I guess it's good in PvP? Or something? I dunno. If folks who play it still, enjoy it, great, maybe it's perfectly fine and it just doesn't jive with me anymore.

EDIT:
    jothki wrote: »
    I wonder if the event is going to be prone to having people just repeatedly afk through the first round. It's the same reward as coming in 17th place, and as a moral bonus it makes things easier for the people who are actively trying to win.

If this happens, it seems like it would be a fairly easy solution to at least require completion of the initial round? I've only played a handful of times, but since I'm playing from NZ on US servers, I feel like this is a situation where everything is stacked against me, and I don't imagine I'll get any wins, let alone the amount needed for achievements.

I've already been struggling since I moved here, with the latency and the sheer frequency I take damage on bosses that I wasn't even close to being in the damage zones for.

It might be time to look into a transfer. I guess Sarg is congested now; if the free move works across data centers...maybe I need to look into the housing district situation on Dynamis servers.

The Dude With Herpes on

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    BLM can potentially actually be more mobile than RDM when it counts, because RDM only gets moving casts every other hardcast, but BLM can bank all its moving casts for sections where movement is needed, and has the teleport to ally button.
    it's definitely the more complicated toolkit to manage though.

PvP versions of classes are completely different from the PvE versions so not really comparable. I quite enjoy it still in PvE content but I don't play DPS much.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    BLM can potentially actually be more mobile than RDM when it counts, because RDM only gets moving casts every other hardcast, but BLM can bank all its moving casts for sections where movement is needed, and has the teleport to ally button.

PvP versions of classes are completely different from the PvE versions so not really comparable. I quite enjoy it still in PvE content but I don't play DPS much.

BLM is good with bursts of predictable sustained movement, but frequent small movement or unpredictable mechanic-based movement is tough.

Dhalphir wrote: »

BLM is good with bursts of predictable sustained movement, but frequent small movement or unpredictable mechanic-based movement is tough.

Which means that the first boss in the Tower of Zot kicked the utter shit out of me.

edited November 2023

This may be (the movement thing), but unless things changed with BLM for Endwalker (Enochain, I suppose), there is just a lot less pressure on RDM to maintain anything in heavy movement periods. You're not juggling timers, black/white mana is bankable, and the combo rotation to spend it will wait for you (there might be a long timer on the first 3 of the rotation, but I don't think there is, or it's long enough it doesn't matter), so at worst you lose a GCD if you have to bail on a cast. It's almost impossible to burn through your MP unless you're just raising everyone, but at that point your dps is the least of your concern.

Granted, having enochain be functionally gone is probably a boon. Maybe I'm being unfair; as I said I haven't really played BLM in ages, and ages longer since I really played it. I enjoyed it! It just couldn't compare to the versatility of RDM. I like to solo older content, and between the two it's really not even a choice.

The Dude With Herpes on

I've enjoyed BLM, for what it's worth, but I only just finished the main story.

wVEsyIc.png
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    BLM is really fun 80+ when you have done content a few times and know when you need to use movement tools. I find it excruciating to play synced and in new content.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    For what it's worth the enochian change has made black mage feel a lot more stable. the change from "if you fuck up you lose 40 levels worth of skills" to "If you fuck up you lose some damage" does a lot to lower the pressure.

M A G I K A Z A M
    edited November 2023
    thing is Summoner does everything Red Mage does but better, except for exactly two things: being emergency backup healer, and chain rezzing people who die horribly.

It has better mobility, better damage, and a simpler toolkit.

That said, I *like* going "oh, half the raid went down? no they didn't, I have Lucid Dreaming, a pack of HQ Super-Ethers, and Dualcast."

Lucid_Seraph on
    thing is Summoner does everything Red Mage does but better, except for exactly two things: being emergency backup healer, and chain rezzing people who die horribly.

That said, I *like* going "oh, half the raid went down? no they didn't, I have Lucid Dreaming, a pack of HQ Super-Ethers, and Dualcast."

Bit slow compared to me hitting Angel Feathers though.

Polaritie wrote: »

If both the healers are dead there is no Angel Feathers happening, there is only me and VerSpatula.

edited November 2023
    Polaritie wrote: »

If both the healers are dead there is no Angel Feathers happening, there is only me and VerSpatula.

At that point it's still better to rez a healer to LB3, because you're probably doomed otherwise anyways.

Polaritie on