As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Sorry, you die it's on you.

coaa7bj6b789.png

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    thing is Summoner does everything Red Mage does but better, except for exactly two things: being emergency backup healer, and chain rezzing people who die horribly.

It has better mobility, better damage, and a simpler toolkit.

That said, I *like* going "oh, half the raid went down? no they didn't, I have Lucid Dreaming, a pack of HQ Super-Ethers, and Dualcast."

Bit slow compared to me hitting Angel Feathers though.

If both the healers are dead there is no Angel Feathers happening, there is only me and VerSpatula.

At that point it's still better to rez a healer to LB3, because you're probably doomed otherwise anyways.

They are traditionally the first ones on a verraise spree

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    thing is Summoner does everything Red Mage does but better, except for exactly two things: being emergency backup healer, and chain rezzing people who die horribly.

It has better mobility, better damage, and a simpler toolkit.

That said, I *like* going "oh, half the raid went down? no they didn't, I have Lucid Dreaming, a pack of HQ Super-Ethers, and Dualcast."

Bit slow compared to me hitting Angel Feathers though.

If both the healers are dead there is no Angel Feathers happening, there is only me and VerSpatula.

At that point it's still better to rez a healer to LB3, because you're probably doomed otherwise anyways.

They are traditionally the first ones on a verraise spree

it goes:

healers > tanks > fellow RDMs > Summoners > Dancers (they have heals n shit) > everyone else >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> black mages

thing is that you don't just stop your verraise chain because you got one healer up, you get the other healer up and you keep going until they get the LB3 off.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    DNC's healing is amusing because it's so incredibly redundant 99% of the time. But it's all oGCDs they have plenty of space in the rotation for too, so...

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Healer LB3 is a criminally underused button. Healers are so afraid to use it because a DPS will yell at them.

If two DPS are dead, Healer LB3 is a DPS gain over DPS LB3 just from the avoided Weakness debuffs. If three people of any role are dead, Healer LB3 is a DPS gain.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Healer LB3 is a criminally underused button. Healers are so afraid to use it because a DPS will yell at them.

If two DPS are dead, Healer LB3 is a DPS gain over DPS LB3 just from the avoided Weakness debuffs. If three people of any role are dead, Healer LB3 is a DPS gain.

Oh dang, I didn't know healer LB3 skipped the weakness debuff. Does it remove it from people that got rezzed previously and already have it, too?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Oh dang, I didn't know healer LB3 skipped the weakness debuff. Does it remove it from people that got rezzed previously and already have it, too?

No, so you have to decide quickly which method to use.

it also rezzes them at full health and mana.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

But without the invincible buff. Hilariously.

Aldo wrote: »

They do get it, it's just shorter.

The main problem is they don't res at your location, so people that died to arena wall damage will immediately die again as they res into the wall.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

They do get it, it's just shorter.

The main problem is they don't res at your location, so people that died to arena wall damage will immediately die again as they res into the wall.

which is, again, one of the reasons playing rez mage can be fun! I get that guy outta the soup!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Fall Guys thing is hard. I mean, I get it that you aren't competing against the course like the Jumping puzzle gate, but getting to round 2 is a challenge.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So I'm working on the miner relic tool, and doing roulettes whenever I run out of GP and don't feel like waiting for it to recharge. I get into a Shiva group with 3 players that hadn't done it before, and things go moderately poorly, with people dying all over the place. We never actually come close to a wipe, but it's still a bit of a mess.

And then loot drops. And I realize that loot dropped. Which means that I was actually in Extreme Shiva, with three players who had never done it before, and we had actually managed to win without a single wipe. So good job all, then.

I saw a party finder group for new players for a criterion dungeon, and since I'd never tried one before, I decided to join up and poke my head in for a bit.

Oww. What? Oww.

Criterions are basically savage level 4 man content, they're definitely not on the same level as an Ex trial or something like that.

But there are actual savage versions...what the hell are those like?

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

Well you can't resurrect anyone, there's a timer, and if you wipe you start the entire thing over.

liEt3nH.png

it's a bit of a weird dynamic and I'm confused why they reused the savage/normal designator tbh, because savage criterion doesn't change anything mechanically - a few of the numbers get ticked up a tiny bit (raidwides hit harder etc) and you don't have the resurrect button and can't wipe.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Bah, data center travel still doesn't let you visit other region data centers, and you can't even look at housing wards until you can buy one, so I can't just make a new character to check them out.

If there's anyone around these parts on the Materia data center, could you tell me if any of those servers have any medium plots readily available in the Foundation housing districts? In the ones available to solo players and not restricted to FC's (So 11-24, 26-30 depending on how many wards are there on those servers). I guess Ravana and Sophia are the servers with decent populations?

I'd appreciate it.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

They need to fix the current problems with data center travel first(which is something they're working on) before adding regional travel. US data center party finder has all migrated to aether as the de facto data center for PF prog, with the others being left pretty dead. Adding the other regions now would have just made the problem worse.

Bah, data center travel still doesn't let you visit other region data centers, and you can't even look at housing wards until you can buy one, so I can't just make a new character to check them out.

If there's anyone around these parts on the Materia data center, could you tell me if any of those servers have any medium plots readily available in the Foundation housing districts? In the ones available to solo players and not restricted to FC's (So 11-24, 26-30 depending on how many wards are there on those servers). I guess Ravana and Sophia are the servers with decent populations?

I'd appreciate it.

I'll check for you in a little while after breakfast.

cross region travel is coming eventually, for the record. lots of related stuff to it has been datamined. just no announcement

The deeper I get into crafting, the more it feels like the entire progression system is designed to punish people for trying to use crafting to gain a progression advantage.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The deeper I get into crafting, the more it feels like the entire progression system is designed to punish people for trying to use crafting to gain a progression advantage.

? Crafted gear is always the pre-raid BIS as long as you’re overmelding.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    They need to fix the current problems with data center travel first(which is something they're working on) before adding regional travel. US data center party finder has all migrated to aether as the de facto data center for PF prog, with the others being left pretty dead. Adding the other regions now would have just made the problem worse.

Yeah, I totally get that it's a massive tech hurdle, and maybe not really surmountable currently, but it'd be amazing if PF and queues could pull from anywhere. They've got the autotranslate there ready to go. Granted, that's not as commonly used in XIV as it was in XI (where it was just the norm to have large conversations and communications solely using it.) but I think people could learn.

Obviously it's not that simple, but it'd make the thought of moving from the most active US data center to the least active one in the world more bearable. :(

If I were someone who did statics and current end game content (outside of DF stuff like 24man) then I don't know that I'd even consider it. But I largely play solo anyway, and just PF the rare thing I need help with for WT for the week, and then just do queues anyway.

I think hunt trains are the only thing I rely on the server populations for. Well, and queue times in general, I guess.

Every time I try to google what the current experience is, though, it's just a lot of extremes and very little discussion that isn't super hyperbolic in either direction of "it's dead" and "it's fine". :(

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

admanb wrote: »

Oh, you can still get that advantage in the end, but the game will make you suffer for it, and then quickly render all of that work pointless.

Crafting seems like it's only useful for bleeding edge raiding or trivial cosmetics, with anything of practical worth to a more casual player being rendered pointless by scrip and tomestone gear.

edited November 2023

Yeah, I totally get that it's a massive tech hurdle, and maybe not really surmountable currently, but it'd be amazing if PF and queues could pull from anywhere. They've got the autotranslate there ready to go. Granted, that's not as commonly used in XIV as it was in XI (where it was just the norm to have large conversations and communications solely using it.) but I think people could learn.

Obviously it's not that simple, but it'd make the thought of moving from the most active US data center to the least active one in the world more bearable. :(

If I were someone who did statics and current end game content (outside of DF stuff like 24man) then I don't know that I'd even consider it. But I largely play solo anyway, and just PF the rare thing I need help with for WT for the week, and then just do queues anyway.

I think hunt trains are the only thing I rely on the server populations for. Well, and queue times in general, I guess.

Every time I try to google what the current experience is, though, it's just a lot of extremes and very little discussion that isn't super hyperbolic in either direction of "it's dead" and "it's fine". :(

the only thing region travel needs to make it work properly is for any regions you can travel to to have visible PF listings from anywhere so that you can see the listings and join those groups without having to travel first. Then everyone would just sit on their home DC. Just make it work the way cross realm travel already works.

As for how Materia is. The way I sum up Materia in a single sentence is that you need friends to accomplish content more often than you do on other datacenters, but it's much easier to make friends because people know their reputation matters in a small community and go out of their way to help and be nice to each other. If you spent a week PFing the savage tier, you'd run into the same people again and again and thus people take care to behave.

For what it's worth I have been on Materia since it opened and I would quit the game before I went back to NA or JP and played on 120ms+ again. And I'm in Western Australia, so I play on 50ms as is and it's still a transcendantly pleasurable experience by comparison.

Dhalphir on
    edited November 2023

I'd appreciate it.

@The Dude With Herpes I counted 5 mediums available in Ward 11 alone.

EDIT: On Ravana.

Dhalphir on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Oh, you can still get that advantage in the end, but the game will make you suffer for it, and then quickly render all of that work pointless.

Crafting seems like it's only useful for bleeding edge raiding or trivial cosmetics, with anything of practical worth to a more casual player being rendered pointless by scrip and tomestone gear.
    You're right, you don't need crafting for finishing the MSQ or any other story content. The whole market board is optional content, but a lot of players still interact with all those optional systems. Cosmetics are trivial in the same sense that housing, minions, mounts and music are trivial, but there are many people who plays ffxiv solely for this stuff. And that's where crafters can make items for and get a lot of gil out of. Gil that they probably use to buy other trivial items with.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular

I don't quite understand how you're reaching that conclusion. Even if you don't overmeld, it's pretty decent most of the time and a good option to fill out slots you don't like the tomestones or normal raid/alliance gear itemization of.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Also if you're leveling a job you still need gap filler gear between tomestones. and that gets expensive if you're not crafting it yourself.

M A G I K A Z A M
    LD50 wrote: »

I don't quite understand how you're reaching that conclusion. Even if you don't overmeld, it's pretty decent most of the time and a good option to fill out slots you don't like the tomestones or normal raid/alliance gear itemization of.

people not overmelding crafted gear is one of my pet peeves. I think a lot of people don't know you can overmeld any level of materia. You don't need to dump millions of gil into using X/IX materia for your overmelding, you can just go grab Shadowbringers VIII/VII materia. They're listed in the hundreds on the MB for vendor price & having an overmeld slot with 24 crit in it may be less than 36 crit but its a lot better than 0 crit.

heenato wrote: »
    Also if you're leveling a job you still need gap filler gear between tomestones. and that gets expensive if you're not crafting it yourself.

Depends how you're leveling it really. I do a lot with just frontlines/alliance/etc and tomestone gear is plenty for those.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    My personal philosophy for leveling alt-jobs is to do Everything a little bit. it helps you to learn the job in more situations and encourages you to stay fresh with all the various content. Sure I could just do the alliance roulette or frontlines but then I cant really do leveling roulette because it could put me in a late expac dungeon and I'm still in the previous tomestone gear (because the Ilvl requirements are nonsense low) and then I have to deal with that.

I usually do roulettes but also my on-curve dungeons and trials

M A G I K A Z A M
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

well aside from food and potions, those are irreplaceable

BahamutZERO.gif
    Hmm, I may have underestimated the value of crafted stuff, I forgot that the default stats it shows you are for the low-quality versions. I had been assuming that you needed the advanced materia slots to make up the difference in lower stats, rather than it actually being a bonus on top.

HQ crafted gear is absolutely on par with anything else of the same item level... and if you're willing to throw gil at it it's stronger (because crafted gear can be overmelded. Although this is madness unless you're pushing brand new Savage content or the like)

like I said above, it's not necessary to overmeld with the current materia, but if you have gone to all the effort of getting crafted HQ, it's silly not to at least fill the overmeld slots with something. Otherwise you've gone to 95% of the expense and left 30% of the whole benefit of crafted gear on the table.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I dunno what the exact math is on overmelding but aren’t you already beating normal raid gear with a single overmeld? And that’s like 90% success rate.

I dunno what the exact math is on overmelding but aren’t you already beating normal raid gear with a single overmeld? And that’s like 90% success rate.

yeah, unless it's like a crit/dh piece vs a det/sks piece or something like that, unaugmented tome and normal raid gear doesn't beat overmelded crafted gear.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Without getting into the weeds of different relative values of a point of each of the different secondary stats, a HQ crafted gear piece has the same amount of stats at the same ilvl as a dropped or tomestone piece before any overmelds, yeah. So overmelds are pure bonus extra stats.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    HQ crafted gear is absolutely on par with anything else of the same item level... and if you're willing to throw gil at it it's stronger (because crafted gear can be overmelded. Although this is madness unless you're pushing brand new Savage content or the like)

I used an overmelded crafted ring for the entirety of last tier. Itemization is weird, yo.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg