As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    HQ crafted gear is absolutely on par with anything else of the same item level... and if you're willing to throw gil at it it's stronger (because crafted gear can be overmelded. Although this is madness unless you're pushing brand new Savage content or the like)

I used an overmelded crafted ring for the entirety of last tier. Itemization is weird, yo.

This is especially true for jewelry slots.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I have finally gotten all of the endwalker relics caught up, time to wait for the next step.

Gear progression in general remains tied to the weekly caps, I believe four more weeks to finish augmenting my caster gear, I bought the last piece of tomestone tank gear as well.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Oh, Newegg doing a sale on game time cards, if anyone wants some game time relatively cheap.

Wario64 wrote:
    Final Fantasy XIV Online: 60 Day Time Code is $22 offer is available on Newegg http://bit.ly/3N6bQaP #ad

60 days for $22 + tax.
    For the next 8ish hours, at least.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    thanks for the heads up!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Heh, ultimately that would only save me about $4 since I'm on the cheapest plan. Hopefully someone else can make use of it!

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    n7uvvaanecvu.png

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Placing furnishings on my island turned out to be a massive disappointment. I was hoping to finally get that damned kettle out of my storage space, but nope, it stays right there and creates a worthless illusion instead.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Apparently someone made a sim for uwu suppression in Roblox.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's the same one but there's been an uwu sim in roblox for years

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Primals did a version of Dedicated to Moonlight :D:D:D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO_FIDcm2fE

Fuckin love that song. Fun version of it, too. Also, the music video is silly.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Collector's Edition upgrades are half-off in the Mog Station, for the first time in about 2 years
    $10 for each individually or $50 for all

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I picked the game back up, this time with the intention of not trying to blow through everything to reach max level as fast as possible. This has resulted in me actually finishing Heavensward! However I did not know I would then need to finish Heavensward.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    I picked the game back up, this time with the intention of not trying to blow through everything to reach max level as fast as possible. This has resulted in me actually finishing Heavensward! However I did not know I would then need to finish Heavensward.

Heavensward 2: Heavenswarder.

After the main xpack plot ends you get into the patch quests, which are generally split between an epilogue to the previous arc and introducing the next arc.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I do not remember how much meandering post-heavensward has, but boy is the conclusion fight a good one

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    admanb wrote: »

After the main xpack plot ends you get into the patch quests, which are generally split between an epilogue to the previous arc and introducing the next arc.

I know. I'm mostly annoyed that half the quests are "Go talk to this person to start this cutscene. Quest complete. Okay now go talk to this person to start a cutscene."

Usually x.1 through x.3 is epilogue and x.4 through x.55 is prelude. Might've been different with ARR, can't remember, and Endwalker didn't have an epilogue, just went straight to something new, since that was already a pretty definitive conclusion to that story arc.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited November 2023

I know. I'm mostly annoyed that half the quests are "Go talk to this person to start this cutscene. Quest complete. Okay now go talk to this person to start a cutscene."

I've got some bad news about the rest of the game

Delzhand on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

That is more or less how FFXIV's MSQ is told.

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It’s definitely more exaggerated in the patch quests though, because they don’t introduce new zones or anything.

it's also more pronounced for new players because they don't have to wait a few months between chunks of MSQ for the patches to roll out.

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    Heavensward had some fun non-MSQ content, new quests with Hildibrand, students trying to deal with a massive shift in their societies world view, Sky Pirates, and that giant robot primal they showed in the post credit cutscene with Y'shtola, Cid and the Idyllshire goblins, also a fun series of Trials. (One of my favorite non MSQ quests unlocks around level 53 or 54 with the Doman Adventurers Guild.)

All stuff you can explore when you don't feel like starting the next MSQ cutscene yet.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    when you hit stormblood you can meet some very respectable characters yes, yes

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The MSQ quests would definitely be more generally palatable if there were better cutscene direction and it wasn’t just ‘people standing in a circle and talking, sometimes barely emoting with their hands, then walking away’. The fact that at least half of each patch isn’t even voice acted is surprising too, for how it’s the games primary focus

Javen wrote: »
    The MSQ quests would definitely be more generally palatable if there were better cutscene direction and it wasn’t just ‘people standing in a circle and talking, sometimes barely emoting with their hands, then walking away’. The fact that at least half of each patch isn’t even voice acted is surprising too, for how it’s the games primary focus

I feel like they've gotten better at that as time's gone on. Some of the early EW stuff was kinda slow, but it really picked up. And the ShB post-patch stuff was rad as hell. 5.3 might be my favorite bit of the entire game.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Who would have thought throwing magical items off a bridge wasn't as good as destroying them

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Well, to be fair, this is the Sea of Clouds they threw them into which is near instantly fatal to anything that goes deep into it. They just forgot that Ascians cheat.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

I feel like they've gotten better at that as time's gone on. Some of the early EW stuff was kinda slow, but it really picked up. And the ShB post-patch stuff was rad as hell. 5.3 might be my favorite bit of the entire game.

Yeah the pacing on a lot of the early cutscenes is REALLY slow

They get much, much better at making the questing feel engaging as they go on.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    It's taken three or four years but I've finally made it past all the free content I'd paid for so long ago.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've hit 60 in Eureka, though I'm still working on the magia board expansions and the relic. Is there a minimally social way to get into the Baldesian Arsenal?

edited November 2023
    I know there's groups that organize BA/Bozja stuff, I have no clue where they are or how to get on the ride.

:edit: Eureka I simply haven't cared enough to interact with beyond the first zone to get the dyeable artifact armors, Bozja I was around when it was current so plenty of people doing it at the time.

NEO|Phyte on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    There are Eureka discords that regularly put together runs, including new player guide runs where the leaders will explain the bosses as you get there and fight them. All you typically need to do is join as instructed(e.g. scheduled runs will post the password at the time of start, first come first serve. Some run leaders will reserve spots for new players), and directions will be provided in voice.

No communication on your part is needed, but it's my emphatic recommendation to at least listen to instruction on discord. There are a number of restrictions on rezzes while in BA(e.g. someone has to sacrifice to res, which relies on a self-res proc to activate to save the rezzer) and a few ways where a mistake on your part can eject other people from the run entirely, which will lead to some ire on the part of your teammates.

Donnicton wrote: »
    There are Eureka discords that regularly put together runs, including new player guide runs where the leaders will explain the bosses as you get there and fight them. All you typically need to do is join as instructed(e.g. scheduled runs will post the password at the time of start, first come first serve. Some run leaders will reserve spots for new players), and directions will be provided in voice.

No communication on your part is needed, but it's my emphatic recommendation to at least listen to instruction on discord. There are a number of restrictions on rezzes while in BA(e.g. someone has to sacrifice to res, which relies on a self-res proc to activate to save the rezzer) and a few ways where a mistake on your part can eject other people from the run entirely, which will lead to some ire on the part of your teammates.

Discord is basically the mandatory way to do those, imo. You're realistically probably not gonna find a group to do it otherwise.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Seg wrote: »
    Heavensward had some fun non-MSQ content, new quests with Hildibrand, students trying to deal with a massive shift in their societies world view, Sky Pirates, and that giant robot primal they showed in the post credit cutscene with Y'shtola, Cid and the Idyllshire goblins, also a fun series of Trials. (One of my favorite non MSQ quests unlocks around level 53 or 54 with the Doman Adventurers Guild.)

All stuff you can explore when you don't feel like starting the next MSQ cutscene yet.

I assume the Robot is Alexander? I hope I didn't miss anything.

Also, for beings of seemingly unparalleled power, the dragons were quite bad at keeping track of their own eyes.

Mugsley wrote: »
    Seg wrote: »

I assume the Robot is Alexander? I hope I didn't miss anything.

Also, for beings of seemingly unparalleled power, the dragons were quite bad at keeping track of their own eyes.

Yep, it's Alexander. Everybody loves Alexander.

Stabbity_Style.png
    My white mage had to wait over five minutes for a trial this is an outrage

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I'm not sure what kind of battle music I expected during the King Moggle Mog XII fight, but it wasn't that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6AXb2DNE4M

I appreciate the use of the VI Mog theme.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    Gyr Abania is sooooooooooooo much nicer to look at than Coerthas.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm not sure what kind of battle music I expected during the King Moggle Mog XII fight, but it wasn't that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6AXb2DNE4M

I appreciate the use of the VI Mog theme.

it feels much more like This Is Halloween to me

BahamutZERO.gif
    "Hello. I am the Warrior of Light, Slayer of Dragons and Defender of Eorzea. How can I help?"

"I need you to go pick some herbs."

"Did you not hear what I said? I've slain actual dragons!"

"Dead dragons don't get me my herbs now do they?"

This is my head canon for why this is happening.