As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023

Quid wrote: »
    Gyr Abania is sooooooooooooo much nicer to look at than Coerthas.

Stormblood is a HUGE step up in terms of environment design. Unfortunately a lot of the space kinda goes unused?

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    LD50
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    "Hello. I am the Warrior of Light, Slayer of Dragons and Defender of Eorzea. How can I help?"

"I need you to go pick some herbs."

"Did you not hear what I said? I've slain actual dragons!"

"Dead dragons don't get me my herbs now do they?"

This is my head canon for why this is happening.

My head-canon is that the various god-slaying is a result of the Scions figuring out how to exploit the fact that I'll do literally anything anyone asks without any complaint.

QuidDhalphirBahamutZERO
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Reminds me of WoW; where every expansion has a small set of poop gathering quests.

It's always good to remember your roots while you're fighting giant, white, flying heads or Devils melded with Angels

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure the poop quests are just somebody's fetish turned running gag

BahamutZERO.gif
    I think the equivalent in FF14 is shoving living things into sacks?

MugsleyStabbity Style
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    A favorite joke of mine is with later expansions where NPCs will ask you to do some random nonsense only to realize after the fact who you are. They become quite embarrassed.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    Seg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    jothki wrote: »

If you're not chucking a Lalafell or a Namazu into a sack, what are you even doing.

Stabbity_Style.png
    McMoogle
    jothki wrote: »

If you're not chucking a Lalafell or a Namazu into a sack, what are you even doing.

I still say
    we could bring Tataru to the First by just putting her in our backpack

Stabbity Style
    putting things in sacks or implying that the WoL puts random things they pick up in their mouths in the quest item flavor text

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    putting things in sacks or implying that the WoL puts random things they pick up in their mouths in the quest item flavor text

Item flavor text is often great. Ishgardians are some weirdos.

nBg2tgy.png
    XmdRdJU.png

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
    Ianator
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    I got an ultra wide screen today and loaded FF to see the difference.

For the first time I can see things around my character that aren't the UI.

Stabbity StyleCorriganXMugsleySkeith
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peKMm-ni26s

DelzhandCaedwyrSkeith
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Finally finished the Stormblood allied quests, the last bunch of the series, and holy shit, while I enjoyed the final quest, with all its fantastic callbacks, I never want to see that antagonist’s smug face again.

That being said, his mask from ARR will be cherished in my glamour set.

Now to figure out how to get the golden version of the Naz mount…

Naz mount?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    It's 50 million gil from Edelina in Mor Dhona.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Naz mount?

Namazu mount, the guys carrying you

There's a golden version available as a gil sink

oh that one right

BahamutZERO.gif
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I've got a question about desynthesis.

I've been casually leveling it via retainer stuff for some time now, but I noticed that I hadn't gotten any levels in CUL desynth. Needs fish.

So I've been desynthing large quantities of fish for the last bit here while I wait for hunt trains, and I'm a bit confused about how to go higher.

It seems like there's a hard-ish cap for earning any desynth points at ~50 points above whatever the optimal skill is for the item.

So, for example, I'm desynthing a fish that is 554. The last point I got was .3 that pushed me over into 604 (.2 to be precise), and subsequently it doesn't seem to matter how many I desynth, I get no points. I've done a couple hundred more and nothing. So I got a fish that is 560 and that pushed me up a bit more (not enough to get to 610, but closer, points get slow as you get that far above).

Here's my question: how do I go above 620? The cap is 650, but best I can tell, the only fish that offer anything above 570 for their optimal skill, are the green colored large fish, and I don't care about desynth enough to pay that much. Is there some other super secret method to do get higher on CUL specifically, that isn't a few hundred thousand per fish? I mean, I could fish myself, I guess, but I've gotten this far without fishing more than a handful of times, I don't see that changing anytime soon unless I utterly run out of anything else to do in the game.

Or would waiting for 7.0 be more sensible?

EDIT: I was so absorbed in looking through fish lists that I missed a train that I was waiting for. I'm a doof.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited December 2023
    Fish added in the latest patch is i630, but it's all rare fish.

If you've got the gil to spend you can get there.

reVerse on
    The FF14 specific Ben Starr (voice of Clive in FFXVI) memes are pretty good.

Ben Starr as Tsukuyomi.

Ben Starr figuring out his lighting settings in gpose.

Ben Starr getting blasted by light with Emet Selch.

Stabbity_Style.png
    IanatorDonnictonGMaster7
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah I figured that was the option.

Second question I think I know the answer to: is there any way to automate mass desynthing of items that aren't a stack? Like, if I decide to knock out the "craft <level> items" for each crafting job at the same time as desynthing, if they don't stack is it a one by one ordeal?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I've got a question about desynthesis.

I've been casually leveling it via retainer stuff for some time now, but I noticed that I hadn't gotten any levels in CUL desynth. Needs fish.

So I've been desynthing large quantities of fish for the last bit here while I wait for hunt trains, and I'm a bit confused about how to go higher.

It seems like there's a hard-ish cap for earning any desynth points at ~50 points above whatever the optimal skill is for the item.

So, for example, I'm desynthing a fish that is 554. The last point I got was .3 that pushed me over into 604 (.2 to be precise), and subsequently it doesn't seem to matter how many I desynth, I get no points. I've done a couple hundred more and nothing. So I got a fish that is 560 and that pushed me up a bit more (not enough to get to 610, but closer, points get slow as you get that far above).

Here's my question: how do I go above 620? The cap is 650, but best I can tell, the only fish that offer anything above 570 for their optimal skill, are the green colored large fish, and I don't care about desynth enough to pay that much. Is there some other super secret method to do get higher on CUL specifically, that isn't a few hundred thousand per fish? I mean, I could fish myself, I guess, but I've gotten this far without fishing more than a handful of times, I don't see that changing anytime soon unless I utterly run out of anything else to do in the game.

Or would waiting for 7.0 be more sensible?

EDIT: I was so absorbed in looking through fish lists that I missed a train that I was waiting for. I'm a doof.

You can desynth Jhenga, but those are way too valuable to desynth right now. The alternative is to desynth big fish, but that would take way too long and not really be worth the effort.

So yes, wait for 7.0.
    reVerse wrote: »

Yeah I figured that was the option.

Second question I think I know the answer to: is there any way to automate mass desynthing of items that aren't a stack? Like, if I decide to knock out the "craft <level> items" for each crafting job at the same time as desynthing, if they don't stack is it a one by one ordeal?

Don’t think so. They only implemented such a mechanic for aetherial reduction in 6.5. And yes, it’s as glorious as it sounds.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Is there any point in maxing culinaruan desynth beyond completionism?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Is there any point in maxing culinaruan desynth beyond completionism?

Mostly just an easy way to get rid of junk fish, imo.

Stabbity_Style.png
    Skeith
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    9jb3sbz66rwb.png

I want the glasses back, but the barrette's too cute.

wVEsyIc.png
    Stabbity Style
    please look forward to next expansion when they're making glasses be their own non-statted item slot so you can wear them with hats

BahamutZERO.gif
    cj iwakuradporowski
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    "Hello. I am the Warrior of Light, Slayer of Dragons and Defender of Eorzea. How can I help?"

"I need you to go pick some herbs."

"Did you not hear what I said? I've slain actual dragons!"

"Dead dragons don't get me my herbs now do they?"

This is my head canon for why this is happening.

My legit favorite part about the Dawntrail story so far.

Javen on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    This fricking guy.

xg7gyp3o3s3y.jpg

I've never laughed so hard at a sidequest, ever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Hildibrand quests are in-universe Looney Tunes

cj iwakuraTcheldorAxenMcMoogleIanator
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Hildibrand quests are in-universe Looney Tunes

No because Looney Tunes are funny.

Hildibrand successfully taps into my Concerned nostalgia.

As someone who appreciates the stupidest of dry humor, these quests are comedy gold.

e6zv7xfq54t2.png
    Those expressions putting in work.

wVEsyIc.png
    McMoogleDhalphirIanatorKana
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    For me personally, Manderville stuff is very hit or miss, but when it hits it makes up for the parts that didn't.

Stabbity StyleDhalphirKanaBilliardballOldSlacker
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I have no specific data to back this up but generally speaking it seems that people who tend towards liking American style humour tend not to like Hildebrand and those who tend towards liking British style absurdist and dry humour tend to like it.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Benny Hill-debrand?

Its all very Japanese comedy, with lots of slapstick and recurring jokes with one or more straight men reacting to it without playing an active part in the scene. It's a format I kinda let wash over me and there's enough gags and smart uses of the engine for me to appreciate. I also always pick the answers that enable Hildy the most and offend the most NPCs, because my WoL is already a nice person to everyone who actually stands a chance to die or get hurt.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Even if you're not a fan of the Hildebrand stuff, you've got to appreciate that it gives the animators a sandbox to push the limits of the animation system.

cj iwakuraDhalphirStabbity Style
    Aldo wrote: »
    Benny Hill-debrand?

Its all very Japanese comedy, with lots of slapstick and recurring jokes with one or more straight men reacting to it without playing an active part in the scene. It's a format I kinda let wash over me and there's enough gags and smart uses of the engine for me to appreciate. I also always pick the answers that enable Hildy the most and offend the most NPCs, because my WoL is already a nice person to everyone who actually stands a chance to die or get hurt.

The overly polite way that Hildebrand acts and the witty dialogues uttered by characters that are basically total morons feels very British to me.

wVEsyIc.png
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »
    Benny Hill-debrand?

The overly polite way that Hildebrand acts and the witty dialogues uttered by characters that are basically total morons feels very British to me.

It's also very Japanese humor. Japanese humor tends to be a bit more slapstick/off the wall, but there's still a lot of similarities to British humor in the way they use straight-men (As in the comedy type of person) and weirdos.

Me, I didn't really like Hildibrand until Endwalker, but the Endwalker Hildi quests *more* than make up for any shortcomings of the earlier installments.

• heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I'm actually the opposite. I liked the earlier hildebrand stuff but I feel like it's REALLY started to wear out its welcome. Especially when some of the running gags start to get a little...uncomfortable, so to speak.

M A G I K A Z A M