As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

We are canceling the apocalypse! (Final Fantasy XIV)

• Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    AST is extremely powerful in the new ult because the compartmentalized format of the phases lends itself extremely well to consecutive burst phases, but overall they're the weakest healer in everything else. Not by much mind, but because they're significantly busier than the other healers that also makes them not really worth playing when you can just play an easier healer and still do slightly better on average.

As someone who just recently cleared P3S for the first time, my impression is that AST is the best healer. There's one mechanic that I have learned to not have confidence in PF healers unless one of them is an Astro, in which case it's not a concern at all.

One mechanic being uniquely poorly designed isn't really a sign of Astro being the best.

Sure, I agree. That fight is just brutal in PF though, so I think standing out above the other healers for that is a big deal. I'm just hugely, insanely biased because of my recent experiences.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Managed to do extremely well in last week's TT tournament!
    v131hzhfwgu4.png

Which is great, because the prize was a Lightning card, which was the last card I needed for my collection!
    i9vy8t9xtfc4.png

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Can someone sell me on Astrologist? Because the level 30 gameplay is not doing so, at all.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    it's like white mage, except clunky, and you have to remember to throw out tiny damage buffs on someone every 30 seconds, which is a system that for some reason takes 4 buttons
    it used to be able to pick between being a regen healer like WHM or a shield healer like SCH but they made it just regen when they added Sage to keep the sub-roles balanced
    before THAT the cards actually had wildy different buffs on each of them and your performance greatly depended on which card draws you got, and there was a strong incentive to cycle draws pre-pull in savage raids until you got the Good One which could take a while

uh good points... some of the artifact gear sets look nice
    the tarot card theme is cool aesthetically
    their 90 ability is currently kind of broken good in certain specific savage mechanics which is why people play it currently

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Astro is fun if you like high-APM classes with a lot of oGCDs, but also want to heal.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Can someone sell me on Astrologist? Because the level 30 gameplay is not doing so, at all.

They're a healer/buffer class which I know a lot of people ask for in MMOs

• Options
    Javen wrote: »

Neat, when do they get buffs that aren't rounding errors?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular

Neat, when do they get buffs that aren't rounding errors?

Define rounding error.

Nearly EVERY buff in the game is between 3-5%. Cards being 6% is actually above average.

• Options
    Which is pretty standard across MMOs, since there are so many interacting factors any multiplicative buff can go from powerful to busted real fast.

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    Also, never trust a job pre-60.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    P3s is fine on whm, honestly. Life's agonies is mechanically simple and lilybell is big on fof

Both myself and my cohealer refuse to play ast so it's always been whm+sge for our clears

Jars on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    If you want to believe in the heart of the cards, bend causality to your will, and move the foundations of space-time all in the pursuit of making health bars go up, maybe Astrologian is for you.

• Options
    The range difference between Medica and Medica 2 messes with me, I've had a few fights where Medica ended up repeatedly whiffing because I usually cast Medica 2 instead and I'm not used to the shorter range.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    wait they're different now? oh noooo
    thought TBH I basically never cast medica 1, I hardly ever cast medica 2 except in lower level content before I have afflatus rapture and assize and asylum. Cure 3 I use situationally though, good for group up mechanics.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I don't even put Cure 1 or Medica 1 on my bars - they're in some obscure off bar to quickly drag into the Cure 2 and Medica 2 hotkey spots when I get synced down below those buttons.

• Options
    wait they're different now? oh noooo
    thought TBH I basically never cast medica 1, I hardly ever cast medica 2 except in lower level content before I have afflatus rapture and assize and asylum. Cure 3 I use situationally though, good for group up mechanics.

Medica 1 is 15, Medica 2 is 20. It's the same range as Assize's 15, at least.

• Options
    The last time I cast medica 1 was... terminal relativity?

• Options
    cure 1 and medica 1 are definitely prime candidates for pruning next expansion, turning them into upgrades to other buttons or something.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    6fa49ekbbzwv.png

nbp4adhkhm1o.png

• Options
    cure 1 and medica 1 are definitely prime candidates for pruning next expansion, turning them into upgrades to other buttons or something.

Or delete Lilly skills and have Lilly make cure 2 and medica 1 free and instant

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    People continue to love AST in Savage and EX because macrocosmos is so insanely good when used well

I feel like if I made a bingo card for raiding with my group, me gushing about Macrocosmos would be the free space.

AST is the healer you play when you find the other three slow paced.

Skeith on
    aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    yeah At level 30 AST is nothing like it is at higher levels.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I bought a level skip for WHM and then leveled it
    from 80 exclusively with pvp, trusts and fates because I really wanted to do the role capstone quest. I didn't want to subject other players to my inexperienced ass.

I've also been tanking leveling roulette for my GF to level her MCH. Last week I joined the queue and she says "did you mean to be on your WHM?"

"Oh, let me back out and-"

SHIINNNGGG

"Well, shit. Okay, I think I'm passable, I've been doing this for a while now. The only dungeon that worries me is the Vault because it's a notorious healer check."

It was the Vault. No lilies. Half of my toolbar unusable. The other two players were watching the cutscene.

But it ended up okay! Two deaths at the final boss, because the other DPS didn't know the chain mechanic, but I kept the tank standing!

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Good job, WHM healing isn't nearly as daunting as I was afraid of. Mine's 90 now and I'm ok running roulettes. It's just that I'm better with WAR and they both have insta-queues, so I just keep playing as WAR.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I really like Astro, but then again I'm a MCH main. Gimme all them weaves, I love pushing buttons

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    also in the vault you should have your single-target lily heal, you get that at 52

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Huh. I though I didn't even have my gauge yet. Maybe I'm conflating this with the time I healed Keeper of the Lake.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    unknown.png

• Options
    ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    So next housing Lottery period starts tomorrow.

Quick count of plots open in Individual purchase Wards (19-24)

Gridania - 20 S, 7 M, 1 L
    Uldah - 22 S, 8 M, 2 L
    Limsa - 13 S, 1 M
    Kugane - 11 S, 4 M
    Foundation - 4 S, 1 M

Hopefully more wards open up for individual purchases soon, cause theres like 2/3rds of Foundation FC Ward plots open, and a ton in older areas opened from transfers.

• Options
    The BraysterThe Brayster UKRegistered User regular
    I'm gonna put a bid on one of those Large but I haven't decided which one. I imagine the one in Gridania is likely to be the most popular.

Steam: TheBrayster
    PSN: TheBrayster_92
  • Options
    Next round of auctions is live

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    OB5Iyob.jpg

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Seems Scripe is fond of the format of the new ult

• Options
    Ultimates are the best raiding experience I've ever had, 100%. I'm entirely unsurprised he feels this way.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I mean... for 99% of the raiding player-base that's what Mythic Jailer is, it just came out all at once so they had to do it all at once.

I think raiders would probably be happier with 4-7 boss raids that released twice as frequently, but it's more work than less frequent large raids and I'm not sure it pays off for the average player.

edit: I wonder how the WoW player base would react if Sepulcher was released in three separate patches (2-3 months apart, so faster than the FFXIV cadence) with 4/4/3 bosses (ending in Halondrus, Anduin, and Jailer obv).

admanb on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Mythic Jailer, or WoW mythic endbosses in general, are absolutely no comparison to Ultimates. It's just not as satisfying or difficult an individual challenge.

It's too different to accurately compare, but even napkin math makes it obvious.

Far more of of mythic difficulty is needing to wait for 19 other people to not make a mistake for 1 pull, rather than 7. Individually, the execution is much, much easier.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I think ultimates are basically mythic but instead of being an even harder version of the hard-mode fights they're their own unique very mechanically dense fight
    if you want that kind of thing in WoW I think mythic is already supposed to be catering to you

e: having small-raid content again would probably be a nice thing for WoW to have though, the only options for 10-man groups being sub-the-very-hardest difficulty and even in heroic just being kind of an afterthought in tuning is pretty lame, the explicitly designed 10-man versions of raids back in wrath were good

e2: I think they would hesitate to add small-group-raid ONLY superhard content, it would probably fuck with mythic teams? Maybe if you can evenly divide your mythic raid team into 2 to do an ultimate-like thing?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Mythic Jailer, or WoW mythic endbosses in general, are absolutely no comparison to Ultimates. It's just not as satisfying or difficult an individual challenge.

It's too different to accurately compare, but even napkin math makes it obvious.

Far more of of mythic difficulty is needing to wait for 19 other people to not make a mistake for 1 pull, rather than 7. Individually, the execution is much, much easier.

Scripe wasn't asking for WoW to make 10-man Mythic content so I wasn't really talking about that.

• Options
    Yeah I meant more so that it's not surprising that a wow player would like ultimates and want something like that because wow does not have anything like ultimates.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I was considering buying a ticket for a Small lot, but then I figured it'd take time to make something nice out of it, while I wouldn't really care. I think it's silly to get a house just to plant some bulbs in the garden and then have another task to keep busy with from then on out.