As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 5E] Strike Force Claymore — Big Trouble in Little Osoleth

2456710

Posts

  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Just thinking, you might want to put the pictures/maps and big lists behind spoiler tags, to make it easier to scroll the page.

    uyvfOQy.png
    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Ryder

    That was very cool. You look very cool right now.



    Cyr

    You land with your chin barely over the trunk, then scramble up the rest of the way.

    “Oh! You must be! Of course you are!”, an old man says hastily, “Thank you! You need to destroy that thing!”

    Another archaeologist pipes up, “I think it has a gemstone on its back! Could be a weak point!”

    “Yes, yes! Just get rid of it! We’ve got a deadline!”

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    The Golem

    The crazy golem smashes down 1/4 of some poor elf’s house!



    Goblins

    1. This goblin leaps onto the fallen tree with the grace and ferocity of a jaguar!
    2. The next goblin face plants into it and knocks themselves out. They’re out of the fight.
    3. Taking on the instantaneous rivalry only a goblin can muster, one with a bow fires an arrow straight through Ryder’s leg!
    4. He just runs backwards and forward while making a racket. An elf looks on confused.
    5. “Ooooo you’re a gravy boat! Aye! Aye!”, the goblin screams at Sug. Then the goblin jumps on his leg.
    6. Is laid out. Snoring.
    7. With a savage shriek, the goblin engaged with Lyn throws a bag of sand in her eyes and cracks her in the knee!

    Ryder! You take 6 damage and are knocked prone!

    Lyn! You take 5 damage!

    Sug! Make a contested grapple check! Athletics or Acrobatics, your pick. You’ve got to beat 11.

    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Athletics #1
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Athletics #2
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack #7
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Damage #7
    Geth roll 1d20-1 for Grapple #5
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack #3
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Attack #3



    Everyone Else

    The archeologists fall back a little more.

    One elf far to the north is damn near having a heart attack (but not really, they’re so healthy) as they’re backed against the one good wall of their house.

    The rest wail in a beautiful kind of way about the whole situation, save one, near Sug, who begins to sing about the beauty of the sea.

    Sug! You have gained 1 Bardic Inspiration Die (1d6) to add to a roll on this mission.

    Athletics #1:
    1d20-1 16 [1d20=17]
    Athletics #2:
    1d20-1 6 [1d20=7]
    Attack #7:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    Damage #7:
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]
    Grapple #5:
    1d20-1 11 [1d20=12]
    Attack #3:
    1d20+4 24 [1d20=20]
    Attack #3:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]

    Endless_Serpents on
    Zomro
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Map.
    thbduho71fhc.jpeg

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Ryder jumps up quickly, hoping no one on the team saw him get knocked over. "Target is damaging local infrastructure. Engaging target to lure it away." Ryder swiftly launches two arrows at the Golem's back and then begina moving towards Cyr's position.

    -Stand up for half movement
    -Bonus action Fighting Spirit. 5 temp HP and my weapon attacks this turn have advantage
    -Attack and then Action Surge Attack
    -Use rest of my movement to move closer to Cyr


    Rolls:
    Geth roll 2d20k1+7 for Attack 1
    Geth roll 2d20k1+7 for Attack 2
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage 1
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage 2

    Didn't know that putting the rolls in spoilers put the results in them, too. That's neat.

    Attack 1:
    2d20k1+7 21 [2d20k1=[14], 13]
    Attack 2:
    2d20k1+7 24 [2d20k1=[17], 4]
    Damage 1:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]
    Damage 2:
    1d8+3 5 [1d8=2]

    Zomro on
    Endless_Serpents
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+2 for Acrobatics

    Acrobatics:
    1d20+2 17 [1d20=15]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sug sidesteps as the Goblin attempts to latch on to him. "Get lost." He swings the hilt of his scimitar down, trying to strike it's head.
    Non-lethal attack

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 for Non-lethal Dmg

    Attack:
    1d20+4 22 [1d20=18]
    Non-lethal Dmg:
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Ryder

    The golem doesn’t turn so much as rotate to be facing your way. It’s going to charge!

    With an AC of 17 and a mere 98 HP to go!




    Sug

    The goblin drops their weapon and starts rubbing its head.

    “You scurvatious pooter! You large ways laggadog!”, they scream, spittle flying.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Lyn scowled as the goblin dodged and...insulted her? His tone of voice sounded insulting, at least. "We don't have time for this, there's a giant...golem or...something. Just give up already." She was momentarily distracted by the voices in her ear, recognizing the two that spoke up. Just three of them, but at least they didn't send Bob or the turtle or anything.

    Of course, that was the perfect time for the goblin to counterattack, bag bouncing off her face as a little cloud of sand wafted about her head. "C'mere you little-!" And a followup hit to the leg. "Why do we always get stuck with goblin duty!?" 16/21 HP

    Unfortunately, Lyn was going to be stuck in combat with this surprisingly evasive goblin for a while longer.
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Nonlethal Spear Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Unarmed Attack
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for Punt Damage

    Spear Attack:
    1d20+6 12 [1d20=6]
    Nonlethal Spear Damage:
    1d8+4 12 [1d8=8]
    Unarmed Attack:
    1d20+5 23 [1d20=18]
    Punt Damage:
    1d4+3 5 [1d4=2]

    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    "I've got word from the eggheads, there's a weak spot on the back of that golem!" Cyr starts running North along the trunk of the downed tree, towards Ryder. He pulls a javelin out of the bundle on his back and hurls it towards the goblin to the West (#5) he sees engaged in combat with Sug.
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    Geth roll 1d6+4 for Damage

    Attack:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]
    Damage:
    1d6+4 8 [1d6=4]

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I think Gob 7 is down now. I hit it last round for 8, so 5 damage from Lyn should KO it.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lyn

    Bonk!

    That’s another goblin going for a snooze.



    Cyr

    As the javelin stabs the ground near the goblin it lets out a fart of surprise!

    “Roughscrapplions! Everywhere!”

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The Golem

    The golem charges south, smashing into the fallen tree, but seeing no threat at eye level, it turns, scraping itself against the tree as it runs for a nearby goblin!



    The Goblins
    1. As Ryder turns to run along the trunk, one enterprises goblin gives chase!
    2. Knocked out still.
    3. “By the sweaty balls of Mammon!”, they cry, “I’ll not fall asquished to thine bouldering bounds!” Then it runs north and sidles against the crumbling house.
    4. Eyes suddenly on the prize, this one sprints into a house and shoves a jewellery box down their pants. If it leaves the map, that’s stolen for good.
    5. Ducking and weaving, it leaps inside the hut and steals a weird art piece made of twigs. Or does it?! Sug! Make an attack of opportunity!
    6. Snoring.
    7. Bonked.

    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack #1
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Damage #1



    Everyone Else

    The elves put their hands to their foreheads or faint gracefully for effect.

    The archeologists stay put for now.



    Map:
    egji0pp0k3k2.png

    Attack #1:
    1d20+4 12 [1d20=8]
    Damage #1:
    1d6+2 4 [1d6=2]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Opp Attack
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 for Non-lethal Dmg

    Opp Attack:
    1d20+4 8 [1d20=4]
    Non-lethal Dmg:
    1d6+2 8 [1d6=6]

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Would you say that Cyr would be able to see Goblin #4 in that house, through a window maybe?

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Would you say that Cyr would be able to see Goblin #4 in that house, through a window maybe?

    Oh yeah, they’re all very open plan. Like a yurt.

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Let's try bardic inspiration on that one

    Geth, roll 1d6 for Help Me Elf

    Help Me Elf:
    1d6 3 [1d6=3]

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Sug misses his swing as the Goblin runs away, so he chases it into the house. "Got a straggler on my end to wrap up, then will meet you on the tree" he chirps into his headset.

    Closing in, he notes that something seems missing from the room when he charged through it before. "Hey! Put it back!" he yells out.

    C'Mon Geth!

    Geth, roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    Geth, roll 1d6+2 for Non-lethal Dmg

    Attack:
    1d20+4 6 [1d20=2]
    Non-lethal Dmg:
    1d6+2 6 [1d6=4]

    AustinP0027 on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Didn't realize the goblin was already damaged! Lyn would've definitely started moving north last turn then. Should be able to just barely make it to #3 then.

    Two goblins down, one to go. On her side of the field, at least. She wanted to take this one down quickly, mostly to avoid giving it any chance to speak. Unfortunately, one kick wasn't quite enough. Even more unfortunately, now that she'd swung around the starboard side of the goblin, she was able to spot the golem they were after. And realize it was heading right for her.
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Nonlethal Spear Damage
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Unarmed Attack
    Geth, roll 1d4+3 for More Kick Damage

    Spear Attack:
    1d20+6 9 [1d20=3]
    Nonlethal Spear Damage:
    1d8+4 8 [1d8=4]
    Unarmed Attack:
    1d20+5 17 [1d20=12]
    More Kick Damage:
    1d4+3 7 [1d4=4]

    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cyr is distracted from Sug's fight by a goblin he notices out of the corner of his eye in the house to the East. He turns, draws his sword, and takes a running leap at the creature.

    What I want to do is have Cyr jump off the tree and attack the goblin with his longsword when he lands.
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Athletics
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack
    Geth roll 1d8+4 for Damage

    Athletics:
    1d20+2 3 [1d20=1]
    Attack:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    Damage:
    1d8+4 7 [1d8=3]

  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 2
    Ryder tumbles to the side as the goblin swings and misses. "You should surrender now while you're still conscious. I am quite gracious, you see." Ryder runs along the fallen tree, springing off of the branches. As he reaches one of the larger branches on the side of the tree, Ryder rolls into position, aims and takes a shot at the goblin engaged with Sug. The arrow flies right over Sug's head and hits a potted plant hanging in the hut, falling down and knocking the goblin down in front of Sug, who then bonks it on the head.

    Going to take an AoO from Goblin 1 as I move away. Moving as far as I can towards the west side of the tree where I can get a shot through the door on the northside of the SW hut. And adding an acrobatics check to look cool while doing it
    Geth roll 1d20+5 for Looking Cool (Acrobatics)
    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Attack
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Nonlethal damage

    Oh yeah, I look super cool.

    Looking Cool (Acrobatics):
    1d20+5 24 [1d20=19]
    Attack:
    1d20+7 22 [1d20=15]
    Nonlethal damage:
    1d8+3 10 [1d8=7]

    Zomro on
    AustinP0027Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    Sug

    As you repeatedly swing for the goblin it drops all pretence of language, and simply barks like a little dog while jumping around the room, pinballing off the walls and ceiling.



    Lyn

    “May a galotumus cube swallow you whole!”, the goblin cries as it falls down and grabs its knee, “Referee! Referee!”

    You didn’t hit it in the knee and this isn’t a football match. Goblins.

    They have taken themselves out of the fight. You could question it… but that would mean listening to a goblin.



    Cyr

    You stumble as you leap, your foot catching the windowsill. You tumble into the house and fall on the goblin, stabbing it through the back. There is blood everywhere!

    “Ahhh! Ahhhhhhhhhh!”, the goblin screams, “My insides! My precious insides! Help! Help!”

    They manage to free themselves and kick away, the stolen goods still shoved down their pants.

    You can no longer attempt non-lethal damage against this goblin. If you want to subdue it you’ll need to get creative.



    Ryder

    But then a potted plant knocks the pinballing freak out cold. Nice.

    Cool description! You get an Inspiration die.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    The Golem

    With a sound of stone on stone, the golem continues charging around. It circles back and barrels towards Lyn!

    Its stone fists dent the earth beside Lyn, 2 feet deep!



    The Goblins

    1. Once again seeing an opening, they cleave wildly at Ryder’s back as he moves away. Then it sprints south.
    2. Knocked out.
    3. Rolling around on the floor.
    4. Trailing blood, this goblin runs from the house they’ve just robbed and straight into the next nearest house.
    5. Knocked out by a cool manoeuvre.
    6. Out for the count.
    7. Lyn’d.

    Ryder! You suffer 5 damage!



    Everyone Else

    The archeologists are tentatively staying put. Perhaps because you’re dealing with things pretty well.

    A couple of elves have been on the move, but nothing much from these waifs.



    Map:
    7y201afaoil6.png

    Geth roll 1d20 for Golem Slam
    Geth roll 3d8 for Golem Damage
    Geth roll 1d20+4 for Attack #1
    Geth roll 1d6+2 for Damage #1

    Golem Slam:
    1d20 14 [1d20=14]
    Golem Damage:
    3d8 15 [3d8=6, 6, 3]
    Attack #1:
    1d20+4 19 [1d20=15]
    Damage #1:
    1d6+2 5 [1d6=3]

    Endless_Serpents on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    Will our heroes defeat the golem?

    Will they subdue the thieving goblins?

    Is there more to this calamity than first appears?

    Find out, later today!


    Endless_Serpents on
    Reynolds
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    On the one hand, fighting the golem was more dangerous. On the other hand, it was far more dignified than fighting goblins. "Where are you guys? Little help!?" One hand to her ear, Lyn gave her spear a flick to one side with the other, lightning crackling to life around the business end. With those fists momentarily lodged in the ground, she used them as a stepping stool, launching herself upwards to use the golem itself as a perch.

    Hopefully she could keep herself up there, out of reach, and still manage to take a few stabs at the gem on its back. But, things weren't looking good...
    Geth, roll 1d20+5 for Acrobatics
    Geth, roll 1d20+6 for Spear Attack
    Geth, roll 1d8+4 for Rather Lethal Spear Damage
    Geth, roll 1d4 for Bolt Paper




    Acrobatics:
    1d20+5 11 [1d20=6]
    Spear Attack:
    1d20+6 15 [1d20=9]
    Rather:
    1d8+4 7 [1d8=3]
    Bolt Paper:
    1d4 2 [1d4=2]

    Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    What's the DC for climbing up on the tree? Athletics or Acrobatics?

    Sug actually has bonus actions he could use, so need to know if the action succeeds to use the bonus action

    AustinP0027 on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    What's the DC for climbing up on the tree? Athletics or Acrobatics?

    Sug actually has bonus actions he could use, so need to know if the action succeeds to use the bonus action

    From where you’re at? 10. Athletics.

    Proper update in about 4 8 hours.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    Sug grumbles as he misses second swing, when a pot drops on the goblin's head. He looks up, sees and arrow, and turns to see the blur of Ryder popping by. He grumbles more, quietly, "Could have taken it myself."

    He turns back towards the exit, knowing that a Golem was still rampaging someone out there. He tries to hop up on the fallen tree, attempting to get a better look.

    Will have to have a second post if I make it up here.

    Edit: So that's what type of character I'm rolling with here. Sug the fumbler.

    Geth, roll 1d20-1 for Athletics

    Athletics:
    1d20-1 2 [1d20=3]

    AustinP0027 on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Hearing Lyn's plea for help, Cyr babbles "I, uh, I have a bit of a mess, cleaning it up! Just a moment!" as he runs out of the house, intending to grapple the wounded goblin in order to apply a little Lay on Hands.
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Athletics

    Athletics:
    1d20+2 22 [1d20=20]

    Endless_Serpents
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    "One of the goblins is fleeing to the south. Heading over to back you up, Lyn" Ryder moves to the northern side of the tree. He takes a shot at the golem, the arrow burying itself into the Golem's stony hide.

    Move up diagonally to the top of the tree and then take an attack on the Golem

    Geth roll 1d20+7 for Attack
    Geth roll 1d8+3 for Damage

    Attack:
    1d20+7 21 [1d20=14]
    Damage:
    1d8+3 7 [1d8=4]

    Zomro on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Lyn

    You run up the golem’s arm and flip onto its back! Your landing is a little off though, so as you get your footing you miss the gem on its back. The golem rises to its full height, you wobble, but stay put—you’re riding the golem!



    Sug

    You just kind of run into the tree. It almost looks like you meant it. Your suffer 1 damage.



    Cyr

    The goblin attempts to slip free of your grasp, but it’s impossible!

    They give up, dropping their weapon, and start wailing. Snot bursts from their nose and they begin telling you in great detail about their childhood, love life, aspirations, regrets, hobbies, ideas for a stage play. Everything. Goblins are just so weird.



    Ryder

    Without so much as a flinch, the golem keeps charging. It take a wide arc as it turns to run you down.

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    The Golem

    The golem smashes its way through the fallen tree! Branches are sent flying! Leaves shower the area!

    Ryder! Make a Dexterity saving throw!



    The Goblins

    The last goblin who could fight hops down next to Sug and sits on the ground. They pull out clumps of grass angrily.

    Objective complete!

    Cyr! Feel free to interrogate your captive. As long as you are willing to keep one hand free you have the goblin.



    Everyone Else

    The elves and archeologists alike begin to cheer you on! You’re doing it!

    You all gain +1 to your next roll.



    Map:

    ptlpqq2fvhwg.png

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Gonna use that Inspiration on the Dex save, and including that +1 bonus

    Geth roll 2d20k1+4 for Dex Save

    Dex Save:
    2d20k1+4 22 [2d20k1=[18], 5]

    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited May 3
    Ryder

    You skip back, back, back, as each branch you land on it torn away. With a totally necessary back-flip, you land crouched on the very end of a branch overlooking the furious golem.

    You’ve got the drop on it. With a Sleight of Hand check on your turn, you could dislodge the large gem in the golem’s back.

    Endless_Serpents on
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited May 4
    Well of course I've gotta try it!

    Ryder leaps off of the branch, does a twisting somersault and lands on the back of the Golem. Using an arrow from his quiver, he then tries to quickly pry the gem from the Golem's back.

    13 probably not going to do it. But maybe it's loosened?

    Geth roll 1d20+3 for Sleight of Hand

    Sleight of Hand:
    1d20+3 13 [1d20=10]

    Zomro on
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Ryder

    You just about manage to free it! But static charge turns to arcs of arcane energy, dragging the gem back into the golem like iron to a magnet.

    Its rocky body quakes! It momentarily shuts down. Then it shudders back to life, disoriented. Its speed is reduced to 0 while it reboots!

  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Cyr holds the sobbing goblin in a headlock, with one palm on the side of its head. A warm, golden light comes from his hand, infusing the goblin with healing energy (5HP from Lay on Hands pool).

    "There, there. It is all okay, alright? What are you folks doing in this place, anyhow?"
    Geth roll 1d20+2 for Persuasion

    Persuasion:
    1d20+2 16 [1d20=14]

    Endless_Serpents
  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Cyr

    “Well, we, just, thought, that, since the arcobilogrists were allowed to steal from the old dead wizard’s dungeon that,” they have a good cry, “that we should be allowed to steal from the elves. The golem wants its jars back, so it’s smashing stuff up, and if the elves what their stuff back they can have a go if they think they’re hard enough. That’s fair. You know? That’s the law.”

  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Sug shakes off the brief lightheaded feeling he gets from ramming into the tree. He tries again to climb back up.

    Geth, roll 1d20 for Athletics

    Athletics:
    1d20 11 [1d20=11]

  • Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Sug

    You have mastered the tree. You feel like a new tortle.

Sign In or Register to comment.