As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When movie’s on a bagel you can have [movies] anytime

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    One day we’ll get that Toxic Crusaders reboot.

Need to get back to making cheap SatAM cartoons out of R rated movies

https://youtu.be/eliQEStzhu4

https://youtu.be/XdmixM1w2bE

https://youtu.be/pMJ7S4iwXSc

https://youtu.be/QCUoYIECWAY

https://youtu.be/xUlEamQJ-1g

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »

Roughnecks fucking ruled. it played at like, 6 in the morning on some channel, back when I was a kid.

I'd wake up real early so I could watch it before school.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Roughnecks fucking ruled. it played at like, 6 in the morning on some channel, back when I was a kid.

People get nostalgic for the old Saturday morning network cartoon blocks, and yeah they were tight and all, but the real money shit was those random early morning weekday syndicated joints. Catch Mad Max, Mummies Alive, motherfucking Beast Wars before school. (Actually, my moms had to VHS that stuff because by that time I was already on the bus, but still!)

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

oh my god

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Muad'Dib, you're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Yes, I would like to hear Christopher Walken say Sardaukar.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Full circle.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I'm imagining Christopher Walken saying the phrase "Fedaykin death commandos" and it's making me giggle and I can't stop

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    "Two little mice fell in a bucket of spice. The first mouse quickly gave up and drowned. The second mouse, wouldn't quit. He struggled so hard that eventually he churned that spice into Melange and crawled out. Navigators, as of this moment, I am that second mouse."

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Im going to lose my shit the first time he says "Paul Atraides" with like 12 extra syllables

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Top Gun isn't just homoerotic. (I mean it is, but)
    It's also a sports manga, where the "sport" is jet fighter combat.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular

That show had so many awesome elements. Power armor, giant Tyranid size bug vessels and alien allies in the later series. The animation was also great for it's time, not much to look at now but the faces all looked good, fully animated and the battles were really well choreographed.
    That shitty 6am scheduling completely screwed the show over.

• Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As someone who has Spinal Tap as like a top 3 movie of all time, I'm not sure this really needs to happen. I'll give the movie its fair due, but I wish they'd pour that energy into something new.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    To be fair, Christopher Guest has made a lot of things that are not Spinal Tap in the last 30 years

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    The sound on that Starship Troopers opening is so odd.

Like the mixing, the fact that the apparent theme song is "doot doooty dootle boop scroop bipple beeple deep", just strange choices.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    Paul Atreides? Why are you dressed up as Muad'Dib?

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

Seeing this go around and get lauded. Which is weird because she just took a bunch of sentences to say "I have not ever been on a crew nor am I real friends with anybody who has"

Crew ain't reading film criticism and getting in their feelings about it. Grips aren't scrolling Rotten Tomatoes with bated breath. Crew takes pride in their work, knows when their job was done well or not, and care more about the checks clearing than about what some nerd on a blog said about the finished film. To say that they do care, that they should care, is actually weird and kinda patronizing! They don't give a shit! They have a zen-like awareness of what's in their power to control and what isn't, quit trying to fuck up that balance!!!

We only care when someone tries to make something our fault when it clearly isn't.

"I hated Iron Man 2! I bet those IATSE jamokes are the reason the action looks so halting and awkward!"

The fuck we are! You blame that shit on the director and the 1st AD, not my camera-handlin' ass. All the film school, nepotism, and cocaine in the world can't make the creatives do better at *(gestures broadly)* creating! I just point the camera where they tell me to and hope that the pyro guy didn't forget to take his meds that morning. That's all! That's it!

As long as the check clears, I give no fucks because--and this is crucial--creative solutions are outside the pre-negotiated parameters of my contract. You want me to give you creative solutions? Cool. Give me a producer credit and I'll start rattling off ideas for you. Can't guarantee you'll get anything good out of me, but even the greatest creative minds lay the odd goose egg every now and again; surely the inverse is true, right?

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't think I have ever once thought "WTF was the crew doing here" when a movie shits the bed. Usually I'm unhappy with the director, editor, writer or actors, depending on the flaw.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

So long as they name the movie Final Tap, I'm in.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

they slash them as the title of a slasher is my new favorite thing, I’m not sorry

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »
    So tonight I decided to finally watch Top Gun for the first time.

I've obviously heard A LOT about this movie and, yeah, I see that they are true!!

Some thoughts:

-- HOLY SHIT this film is homoerotic!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF1LXL6OOsM

Top Gun in a nutshell.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular

they slash them as the title of a slasher is my new favorite thing, I’m not sorry

Chico ...

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular

@TheySlashThem
    Will you be suing or are they paying you for the rights to your username?

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

"This signet ring was on your Daddy's finger when he was betrayed by his mentat. He was captured and put in a Sardaukar prison camp. He knew if the floating gasbags ever saw the ring that it'd be confiscated; taken away. The way your Dad looked at it, this ring was your birthright. He'd be damned if any were gonna put their greasy hands on his boy's birthright. So he hid it in the one place he knew he could hide something. His ass. Five long years, he wore this ring up his ass. And then he died of dysentery, he gave me the ring. I hid this uncomfortable hunk of metal up my ass for two years. Then, after seven years, I was sent home to my family. And now, little man, I give the ring to you."

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The only thin that really bothers me about the Tarantino Top Gun analysis ( besides it being Tarantino) is he gets the last line completely wrong

Or is that part of the joke

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Odin wrote: »
    Paul Atreides? Why are you dressed up as Muad'Dib?

Oh man I am now imagining Christopher Walken saying “muad’dib” and now I’m giggling even more

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Did Walken ever actually act or was he always playing an SNL caricature of himself?

Cause I think it's gonna drag me out of the movie to see him.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Walken did a lot of straight up acting before his current persona, yeah. He's actually pretty good at it!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2022
    Someone post the Walken/Lee King Lear Lloyd Macbeth(?) photo

(dammit)
    hflv53y918081.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=6f00eb80f7486338e3c298832066454729c0ab86

tynic on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Did Walken ever actually act or was he always playing an SNL caricature of himself?

Cause I think it's gonna drag me out of the movie to see him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGPcSd7DDLk

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    The only thin that really bothers me about the Tarantino Top Gun analysis ( besides it being Tarantino) is he gets the last line completely wrong

Or is that part of the joke

I think it's part of the joke. That whole conversation perfectly captures being cornered by someone at a party who wants to share this big idea with you while getting several things wrong, but you can't quite call them out on it.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man I loved the Highlander animated show. Lots of good stuff there.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I know it's easy to get distracted by his cadence and all, but Christopher Walken is a really good actor. Like, he turns in a good performance in Hairspray directly opposite whatever the hell John Travolta is up to in that movie.

Also, he's in Severance where he just plays a nice old man and, you know, he rules?

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    The Legendary Monsterverse continues to shamble on

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    From what I remember (it's been 15+ years), Christopher Walken is very good in The Dead Zone.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Nice. Dan Stevens would make a great Godzilla.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
This discussion has been closed.