Options

When movie’s on a bagel you can have [movies] anytime

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, the dialog of the script is on point for sure. It's just the plotting is a little random.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Die, Darkman, Die is the greatest named sequel in history

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Die, Darkman, Die is the greatest named sequel in history

that's just the german name

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Transformers the movie has a lot of really interesting specific things but it might be the most poorly constructed movie I've ever watched.

I don't believe that I've seen the live action transformers

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Transformers the movie has a lot of really interesting specific things but it might be the most poorly constructed movie I've ever watched.

The first one, and only the first one, is a fun watch, especially because of Peter Cullen.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Watching the Solaris remake and what the hell is Dickie Bennett doing on a space station?

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

Live action Transformers isn't close to good but it's construction is pretty straight forward and standard.

80s Transformers begins with the big climax and kills all the character you know and then Unicron is doing.... Something? And all the main characters fap about on a trash planet making you wonder why they spliced a rejected filler episode in this movie?

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Live action Transformers isn't close to good but it's construction is pretty straight forward and standard.

Love or hate the film, they're a gold standard for live action high budget mecha battles, and I sincerely hope whoever worked on them is going to be involved in the Gundam adaptation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGYXGdLd7ik

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Oh boy do I not agree with that! Those fights are incomprehensible. Keep those guys away.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Oh boy do I not agree with that! Those fights are incomprehensible. Keep those guys away.

I thought the highway scene was very easy to follow. Bonecrusher tackles Prime, gets a nice energon blade through the face as reward.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I don't know man, I always thought the Transformer fight scenes in the Bay movies looked like big jumbled weightless messes. Like, Pacific Rim felt like it nailed that stuff way better.

(Except maybe that one fight in the Bumblebee movie with Shatter. That was great.)

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I don't know man, I always thought the Transformer fight scenes in the Bay movies looked like big jumbled weightless messes. Like, Pacific Rim felt like it nailed that stuff way better.

(Except maybe that one fight in the Bumblebee movie with Shatter. That was great.)

Most of them are a hot mess, but I love the first one(and Bumblebee, especially the Cybertron intro).

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Tonight I'm rewatching Aliens, which means that every fifteen minutes I spit out at my TV, "Paul Reiser you piece of SHIT!"

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    the fight scenes in the michael bay transformers movies being terrible are extra notable because before those movies, creating dope action set pieces was bay's whole thing

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    the fight scenes in the michael bay transformers movies being terrible are extra notable because before those movies, creating dope action set pieces was bay's whole thing

It had plenty of dope action set pieces though? The desert, the freeway, the city fight, Starscream and the F-16s, etc.

I freely admit the film is a mess, but it has fun qualities too.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote: »

It had plenty of dope action set pieces though? The desert, the freeway, the city fight, Starscream and the F-16s, etc.

I freely admit the film is a mess, but it has fun qualities too.

The city fight is an eyesore. The clip you posted is the best the action gets.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    I got to pick movie for movie night and I made a room full of 30 somethings watch Paddington and everyone loved it and at least one person teared up.

So now we're watching Paddington 2 next week.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Very excited for you and yours to watch the best movie ever made.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Very excited for you and yours to watch the best movie ever made.

Showgirls 2: Penny's From Heaven?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I watched temple of doom on tv last night, and it’s Spielberg, and with a budget so I know just not anyone can do things like that to the same level, but things like the cave right before the big cart chase makes me miss the big set pieces of the 80s and early 90s.

Just how it was all on a set, but well thought out so the set has multiple uses and the camera moves throughout the scene and it’s just stuff that you don’t get to see any movies that much anymore.

• Options
    I adore how unapologetic TMNT1990 is about depicting New York as utterly filthy.

su9i5oiukw5z.png
    aet34rus8xky.png
    y04ksbe16ckj.png

Did it ever get an anniversary re-screening? I haven't seen it in a theater in decades, and I'd be down for that in seconds.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    To All A Goodnight is probably the worst horror movie I have EVER seen. It's just completely high school amateur all the way

Including filming deep night scenes at literally 3 in the afternoon

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Transformers 3 is the only "good" one and I will die on that hill.

Micheal Bay remembers he's good at shooting gonzo action scenes and squirrel suit drops soldiers into Chicago, and then convinces the second man to ever walk on the moon to say some real dumb expository shit to a giant CG robot.

• Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Transformers 3 is the only "good" one and I will die on that hill.

Micheal Bay remembers he's good at shooting gonzo action scenes and squirrel suit drops soldiers into Chicago, and then convinces the second man to ever walk on the moon to say some real dumb expository shit to a giant CG robot.

I loved it when I first saw it, but I don't think time has been very kind to it, especially with Optimus we'll kill them all Prime going full sociopath. I thought it was badass at the time, but I liked his heroic-but-badass depiction in 1 more.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Yeah I loved it at the time as well but ain't no way I'm going back to watch it the full way through.

Progressively unhinged Optimus Prime is probably my favourite thing about those movies. Just the absolute worst read on that character but taken to hilarious heights. Like they expect him to be all noble but then he is double tapping skulls from behind and keeping their faces for trophies. King shit.

• Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Yeah I loved it at the time as well but ain't no way I'm going back to watch it the full way through.

Progressively unhinged Optimus Prime is probably my favourite thing about those movies. Just the absolute worst read on that character but taken to hilarious heights. Like they expect him to be all noble but then he is double tapping skulls from behind and keeping their faces for trophies. King shit.

Peter Cullen sells it, but of course, Peter Cullen sells anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4VX95mjiT4

Where's that man's lifetime achievement award?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I almost think transformers four is watchable. It just needs like forty five minutes less and no weird, it’s not rape because I have a it’s-not-rape card in my pocket. Kelsey grammar has a heap of fun and galvatron is a fun bit.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I hoenestly cannot tell one blue person thing from another blue person thing in the trailer, except for the military ones.

• Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Avatar makes me feel like I live in The Truman Show because I think it's genuinely a stupid movie and I've never met anybody that actually likes it. Yet it's like the biggest thing ever somehow.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    That looks like a trailer for a Sony first-party game

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Avatar makes me feel like I live in The Truman Show because I think it's genuinely a stupid movie and I've never met anybody that actually likes it. Yet it's like the biggest thing ever somehow.

it acted like it was the biggest thing ever and people obliged for several months and then it died quietly in a retirement home, no one came to its funeral.

I assume, at best, Ava2ar is going to go the same way

except there's those people who want to be Na'vi, I assume they watch a lot of Avatar

everybody else is like "Avatar? Best thing Nickelodeon ever released."

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I hoenestly cannot tell one blue person thing from another blue person thing in the trailer, except for the military ones.

jeez, if you're going to be a space-racist, at least pretend to hide it
    I had the exact same reaction

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I "love" how the only information the trailer gives at all is that there's water in the movie, the Na'vi will become emotional and brandish weapons sometimes, and Famoly. Just... really the kind of marketing effort that stays with you and brings back Avatar fever after 200 years.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    The first avatar had a good but not amazing opening weekend at like 77m. It just…kept going, forever, with only tiny drop offs every weekend consistently for like 3 months because people wanted to see the new 3d tech. Also the new stuff that came out the next few months wasn’t much better.

I don’t think they can capture that lightning in a bottle again.

rhylith on
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    Am I the only one sitting here wondering how they have a kid? I must have absolutely forgotten some key things about the first one because I was legit suprised by that development?

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    It's what a Smurfs movie would look like if Michael Bay made it.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    the 'avatar' was essentially just a Na'vi body that they dropped that dude's mind into, so I guess he could have a kid.

I like that there's a feral human living with them, who apparently still needs the mask to breathe, which is a bummer.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I actually give less of a shit having watched that trailer, so they surprised me in that regard, I’ll give ‘em that.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    avatar 2 will make a bajillion dollars

aGPmIBD.jpg
This discussion has been closed.