As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When movie’s on a bagel you can have [movies] anytime

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Unfortunately he won't be locked up unless he travels to the UK or Wales.

UK or Wales?

That's how it was phrased in the CNN article I read, okay!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    something about the still frame they used for that pooh horror movie announcement was messing with me and i couldn't quite put my finger on it

this morning, i figured it out
    9v126hf64e3s.pngxr24c2foq3wm.png

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Wales is in the UK, I think is honovere's point

Preacher wrote: »
    Because of the Willow tv show I'm watching the Willow movie and its weird that it opens up in modern day texas like that.

...what? Willow as in Warwick Davis Willow?

There's a sequel coming
    https://youtu.be/tbbveDpUZv4

Or do you mean the Texas thing? I think Preacher is making a comment on the fucked up treatment of pregnant women in Texas/the US.

I did mean the Texas thing, because I've not seen that film for a while and thought I'd somehow forgotten a crazy framing device.

Didn't even register the bit about the TV show. That looks... not very interesting. But I might give it a go because I like Warwick Davis.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/cISjYRdXuNc

The intro to shin ultraman is available for 48 hours
    anno shoehorning in as many of his favorite guys as he can is the most I've ever respected him

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry was that a drill snail?

• Options
    That's Goga (who hasn't appeared in an ultra show since the original ultra q)

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think Preacher is maeking joak but I cannot for the life of me think of what he could possibly be referring to

The opening of the movie all the pregnant women in the kingdom are under lock and key from the government.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Shin ultraman
    You may also notice a big motherfucker what looks like shin godzilla

That's because they used the godzilla suit during ultra q as the base for a monster called Gomess, who you are seeing a new version of here

A Shin Gomess if you will

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Shin ultraman
    You may also notice a big motherfucker what looks like shin godzilla

That's because they used the godzilla suit during ultra q as the base for a monster called Gomess, who you are seeing a new version of here

A Shin Gomess if you will
    Having the first monster shown be literally Shin Godzilla with fins stuck on is just such a perfect move, I love it.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    The original lad
    knyuq4uwo5ic.png

The ultra wiki charitably calls this 'loosely disguised'

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    crossing my fingers we get two
    Gunna need Shin Jirass too

90894aa89e6baebade2c9d0022419d22d4fed9c5_00.jpg

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    The original lad
    knyuq4uwo5ic.png

The ultra wiki charitably calls this 'loosely disguised'

this is definitely the kaiju version of putting on a fake moustache and a bad accent

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Who is this "Gojira?" I am Guy Incognito

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Sitting during the credits for Maverick. Does feel very Ace Combat in spots. If you like jets it's worth it to see it in a theatre for the extra oomph.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Sitting during the credits for Maverick. Does feel very Ace Combat in spots. If you like jets it's worth it to see it in a theatre for the extra oomph.

Danger Zone at any point?

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Danger Zone at any point?

It has a lot of callbacks (duh) and it opens how you would expect a Top Gun movie to open.

Hangman was basically doing an impression of Cary Elwes from Hot Shots and it was great.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No matter what year it is or how many times I’ve seen it

Night of the Demons still rules

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    V0WAXNFh.jpg

Well I suppose between these and double or nothing that’s my weekend sorted.

Super excited to have a copy of Electroma, and this one is practically flawless. The disc looks like new it’s just the steel book has barely any damage.

Lasbrook on
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The fact that Top Gun 2, the sequel to Top Gun made decades later for no good reason, is sitting at 97% on rotten tomatoes is genuinely bewildering

Movies like that aren’t supposed to be good! They’re supposed to be like that fuckin’ Ghostbusters movie that just came out, in and out and forgotten, thoroughly ignoble pursuits

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    My working theory is that it's because jet planes go vrrrrrooooooooommmmm

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    My working theory is that it's because jet planes go vrrrrrooooooooommmmm

It is also unapologetically Top Gun. It's loud and nonsensical, but the characters are memorable and pulpy like the first. The climax is a remake of the Death Star trench run.

It's fantastic.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    The original was iconically gay. I know a few gay guys that want to see it because they realised they were gay during the volleyball scene.

• Options
    Top Gun is not gay but it IS incredibly homoerotic

See: John Waters' impressions of the jackass franchise

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    Eehhhh you know what I mean.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Yeah, exactly, iconically gay

Just like all of those gay icons

• Options

"Gay" v. "Homoerotic" feels like a real specific line to draw in the sand, but whatever makes you happy.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    it's text vs. subtext, it matters because queerness sometimes gets subtext in popular media but only rarely gets to be text, and often the subtext then turns into queerbaiting as someone in charge goes "no they're straight, put that in the text, no gays allowed"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I do actually think it's an important distinction, because a lot of media gets acknowledged as being queer in some way without actually including any queer content

There's nothing wrong with fans finding that queer content through their own interpretative lenses, but it shouldn't be confused for actually queer content (which is still a bit nebulously defined in its own right), partially because it will often be used to overshadow and discount the actually queer content

To work with the example at hand, it would be a damn shame if someone were to say, "I'd like a queer volleyball movie" and be met with the response of, "Top Gun already exists"

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Homoerotic: Those dudes look like they're totally gonna fuck.

Gay: Yo, those dudes be fucking!

(Obvs doesn't have to be fucking, but you get it.)

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    No.

It HAS to be fucking

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Wait whoa hold up.

They fuck a gay volleyball in the new Top Gun?

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Wait whoa hold up.

Cruise always has to have one big all new tentpole stunt per movie, so what did you expect?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Wait whoa hold up.

Cruise always has to have one big all new tentpole stunt per movie, so what did you expect?

Kinda thought he was just gonna slide along the tile in his underwear while pretending a bottle was a microphone, you know. Or maybe jump up and down on a couch.

Something really new, you feel me? Ya dig?

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Stealth Castaway sequel

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I do actually think it's an important distinction, because a lot of media gets acknowledged as being queer in some way without actually including any queer content

There's nothing wrong with fans finding that queer content through their own interpretative lenses, but it shouldn't be confused for actually queer content (which is still a bit nebulously defined in its own right), partially because it will often be used to overshadow and discount the actually queer content

To work with the example at hand, it would be a damn shame if someone were to say, "I'd like a queer volleyball movie" and be met with the response of, "Top Gun already exists"

it's the difference between the illiad and the song of achilles

• Options
    I do think that one is actually a fair bit more complicated because we're (primarily) dealing with translations and a work that was originally part of a broader cultural understanding of the character included in it and their relationships to each other and to the story itself

But also yes

• Options
    I appreciate the explanations from everyone, I didn't think about the context.

Is the fight between Vin Diesel and the Rock in Fast Five homoerotic or gay?

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I appreciate the explanations from everyone, I didn't think about the context.

Is the fight between Vin Diesel and the Rock in Fast Five homoerotic or gay?

imo, extremely homoerotic but not very gay

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Honestly anything that would read as potentially homoerotic featuring Dwayne Johnson is smothered in the crib, as that dude aggressively radiates "I'M 100% STRAIGHT AND DON'T YOU EVEN SUGGEST OTHERWISE."

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    I don't know much about him but I feel like he is probably bad at sex

dude does not seem like a generous lover

This discussion has been closed.