Options

When movie’s on a bagel you can have [movies] anytime

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    1500 points of Catachan will solve all of Pandera's problems. Just say'n

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

Seeing this go around and get lauded. Which is weird because she just took a bunch of sentences to say "I have not ever been on a crew nor am I real friends with anybody who has"

Crew ain't reading film criticism and getting in their feelings about it. Grips aren't scrolling Rotten Tomatoes with bated breath. Crew takes pride in their work, knows when their job was done well or not, and care more about the checks clearing than about what some nerd on a blog said about the finished film. To say that they do care, that they should care, is actually weird and kinda patronizing! They don't give a shit! They have a zen-like awareness of what's in their power to control and what isn't, quit trying to fuck up that balance!!!

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    and also

you can work very hard to make something that sucks tho

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    and also

you can work very hard to make something that sucks tho

I feel Seen.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    most crew people i know find it hilarious when they've worked on something that's just totally dogshit

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    When I was in my crew days, worked with this one AD who dressed exclusively in crew shirts - those're tees branded with the movie logo, the shoot dates/locations, maybe an inside joke from the production. Guy had dozens of them, wore a different one each day of the shoot.

I asked him which was his favorite movie, he started talking which shoots were the smoothest or in the coolest places. And I was like, "No, no - which one is your favorite movie?"

And he looked at me like I was an absolute rube, just the biggest dumbass on the planet, and he said, "I don't watch the fucking things, I make them."

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    honestly seems a little cowardly of her to try and hide behind "the crew" when clearly she's just expressing her personal frustration with people criticizing the movies she's in

same energy as invoking "the children" to lend moral credence to something that's actually just your own peeve.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    but also, don't be in cookie cutter mass produced brand IP movies if you can't handle people pointing out that that's what the movies are

• Options
    i legitimately cannot tell if it's ego or just towing the company line, anymore, with all this sore winner spin from the stars and architects of literally the most popular thing

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    i legitimately cannot tell if it's ego or just towing the company line, anymore, with all this sore winner spin from the stars and architects of literally the most popular thing

She got paid millions of dollars to make art that was seen by millions of people, but a small handful of people didn't say the right kind of nice things about the magic man movie in the right kind of way and that's a problem

• Options
    edited May 2022
    like do i literally have to tell a millionaire to go touch grass

you've already won

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    OdinOdin Registered User regular
    To be fair, she's on a press tour to promote the film, what kind of answer to that question would you expect her to give? "Yeah, Scorsese was right, we're not making actual movies, this is all bullshit"

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Just pausing my brain and flu-ridden body from misery to reflect on the fact that historically-whiny Glenn Danzig spent his own money on making a shitty film (Verotika) and when basically the whole world rejected it outright, shrugged, said “I don’t make this shit for you then”, then spent his own money on Another film (a vampire spaghetti western he was inspired to do by seeing the work of Bava)

A better and significantly-less whiny response than everyone involved in the most expensive, and most financially profitable, cinematic universe there ever has been or will be has provided to the thought their shit might just not be beloved also

This world is a giant fire humanity seemingly collectively agreed/conceded to put out by using more fire exclusively, but goddamn if there isn’t still some shit that makes me laugh hard enough I realize at least I won’t be lacking entertainment during my time left watching it all

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    I’m also fine with ending press tours as a thing

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Seeing this go around and get lauded. Which is weird because she just took a bunch of sentences to say "I have not ever been on a crew nor am I real friends with anybody who has"

Crew ain't reading film criticism and getting in their feelings about it. Grips aren't scrolling Rotten Tomatoes with bated breath. Crew takes pride in their work, knows when their job was done well or not, and care more about the checks clearing than about what some nerd on a blog said about the finished film. To say that they do care, that they should care, is actually weird and kinda patronizing! They don't give a shit! They have a zen-like awareness of what's in their power to control and what isn't, quit trying to fuck up that balance!!!

I'm... not really seeing the problem with her complimenting the crew, though?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

I think the perception is that it isn't actually about the crew.

• Options
    she isn't complimenting the crew, she is using their work as a deflection from criticism

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Where, in any of my posts, did I say there was a problem with complimenting the crew

How on earth was that your takeaway

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    she isn't complimenting the crew, she is using their work as a deflection from criticism

I think her mistake is assuming the critics' animosity are aimed at film workers. They are criticizing the film as a piece of art and the actors' performance

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    When I was in my crew days, worked with this one AD who dressed exclusively in crew shirts - those're tees branded with the movie logo, the shoot dates/locations, maybe an inside joke from the production. Guy had dozens of them, wore a different one each day of the shoot.

I asked him which was his favorite movie, he started talking which shoots were the smoothest or in the coolest places. And I was like, "No, no - which one is your favorite movie?"

And he looked at me like I was an absolute rube, just the biggest dumbass on the planet, and he said, "I don't watch the fucking things, I make them."

My neighbor is a grip and has worked on everything from tentpole releases down to one-and-done seasons of TNT drama. Emotional feelings about his work are based entirely on Was Production/Scheduling A Shitshow: Y/N?

Thoughts on editing and acting and the script are not gonna zip-tie 800 feet of curtain to this cross-beam by themselves.

Last pint: Ridgeback Red / Block 15 - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular

Where, in any of my posts, did I say there was a problem with complimenting the crew

Just seemed like you were being oddly negative about what she said, when I didn't see anything wrong with it.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

Just seemed like you were being oddly negative about what she said, when I didn't see anything wrong with it.

I think it's weird, disingenuous, and patronizing for a millionaire to put words in the mouths of people who work a lot harder for a lot less money. I think it's weird and bad for that weird, disingenuous, patronizing behavior to be lauded. If you don't see anything wrong with it, cool, I guess?

• Options

I think it's weird, disingenuous, and patronizing for a millionaire to put words in the mouths of people who work a lot harder for a lot less money. I think it's weird and bad for that weird, disingenuous, patronizing behavior to be lauded. If you don't see anything wrong with it, cool, I guess?

I really don't see anything patronizing about what she said, but whatever.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Avatar allowed wes studi and cch Pounder to have decent roles in a movie that made a billion dollars and I think that's nice

• Options

If you have friends who work on film crews, I would recommend asking them for their take on what she said

If you don't have friends who work on film crews, perhaps you are not in a position to comment on what is or isn't patronizing to them

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Avatar allowed wes studi and cch Pounder to have decent roles in a movie that made a billion dollars and I think that's nice

Wes Studi will always be Sagat to me.
    (Well, and he's got Last of the Mohicans too, so there's that.)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

If you have friends who work on film crews, I would recommend asking them for their take on what she said

If you don't have friends who work on film crews, perhaps you are not in a position to comment on what is or isn't patronizing to them

I do, as it turns out.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

I do, as it turns out.

Then I really do genuinely recommend talking to them about it, it will probably be an interesting conversation.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I don't think Elizabeth Olsen is trawling blogs and shaking her head at criticism, and I doubt she actually thinks about this shit when she's not on a press tour. This is a stupid response, for sure, but someone almost certainly came up to her going, "what do YOU think about people who say the MCU isn't high art?" because the number one purveyor of "people don't give Marvel enough respect," takes are sites that run entirely on hot takes and outrage clicks.

• Options
    drinking with crew people and just watching them just trade off wilder and wilder stories is a hell of a thing

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    Marvel movies more like high Fart am I right

• Options

I do, as it turns out.

Then I really do genuinely recommend talking to them about it, it will probably be an interesting conversation.

Not to beat a presumably dead horse, but he thinks the remarks about Marvel are the patronizing ones.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options

I do, as it turns out.

Not to beat a presumably dead horse, but he thinks the remarks about Marvel are the patronizing ones.

I don't know what that means, what comments about Marvel? I was talking about an out-of-touch celebrity getting over her rhetorical skis, I made no comments about Marvel

• Options

I do, as it turns out.

I don't know what that means, what comments about Marvel? I was talking about an out-of-touch celebrity getting over her rhetorical skis, I made no comments about Marvel

Not you specifically, he means the comments about Marvel films not being art that elicited her response.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I don’t understand how saying “Marvel films are not high art” could be considered patronizing. Maybe “dismissive” at worst (even if the vast majority of people would probably say it’s a perfectly fair assessment).

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    drinking with crew people and just watching them just trade off wilder and wilder stories is a hell of a thing

Back in the day, I used to work retail at Apple in Manhattan, and after work sometimes we’d hang out with some of my coworker’s buddies who worked TV production crews in the city and while I have some bonkers retail stories, I had absolutely nothing on those folks.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Talking about "high art" at all is seen as patronizing by some people.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    A friend of mine had a short stint working on a movie set. He was fired for looking at Stalone.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    we as a forum have to agree that we can’t allow a discussion trying to map the various parameters of high and low art to occur

trust me on this I went into college as an art major and certainly didn’t leave it as one

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    it's only high art if a dude gets hit in the nuts

This discussion has been closed.