Options

When movie’s on a bagel you can have [movies] anytime

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I finally saw Sonic: The 2: The Movie

why is it that a film about a blue hedgehog with Jim Carrey the best superman movie to come out in the last 3 decades

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    So I had a weird experience at my showing of Doctor Strange. Trailers are rolling, dude in front of me, probably late 20's ish?

Super super stoked for Avatar.
    Super stoked for Thor.
    Jurassic World trailer plays all the way through. Dude is losing his shit.

Gets to the end of the trailer, which they show only the classic T-Rex skeleton logo and no title, and he no shit turns to his buddy and says:
    "Dude, what movie is that?!"
    Friend chuckles, then double takes. "Wait, seriously?"
    "Yeah, that looked freaking awesome."
    "Uh...Jurassic World?"
    "Oh man, that looks dope as hell. Do you think they'll make a series out of it?"

The friend was just dumbfounded.

After Doctor Strange, I was behind them leaving the theater and the dude was making is friend google Jurassic Park.

you know, it's wild that he doesn't know what Jurassic Park is but I really do envy that guy getting to watch Jurassic Park for the first time

Oh, sure it, could be fun. But what if he doesn't like it?

What if you find the absolute unicorn who has no awareness of Jurassic Park, and they hate it?

That shit would rattle me to my core, I'm being entirely serious here

I suppose it's possible but also of all the major blockbusters of the last thirty years that one feels like the safest bet. Like, I'm sure we're really close to kids who grew up watching Jurassic World to start writing thinkpieces for screenrant about how actually Jurassic World is better, but

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    I will always go to bat for the commentary track for The Goonies as getting that cast and Donner in the same room around 2000 is better than the movie.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Keven Smith and his team's commentary tracks for the Clerks animated series are hilarious.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    my favorite commentary track is absolutely resident evil: apocalypse. i know i have talked about it before.

so, it's one of those tracks where actors did *not* record together, that was then cut together into one whole.

track a is mila jovovich and oded fehr eating a big fucking sandwich and bullshitting

track b is sienna guillory taking this all way too seriously and putting on airs. really being super pompous about this dumb as shit movie.

the intercutting between the two is just

the best

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    I think in the Anchorman commentary track they just start pulling random people into the room who had nothing to do with the movie

• Options
    I think in the Anchorman commentary track they just start pulling random people into the room who had nothing to do with the movie

they bring in lou rawls!!!

7656367.jpg
  • Options

I had a vague memory that they brought in someone rad but I couldn't retrieve the info from my brain!

• Options

I had a vague memory that they brought in someone rad but I couldn't retrieve the info from my brain!

i was fascinated by the first film

like, they filmed so much extra content they released a companion film with it as a best buy exclusive, "wake up, ron burgundy"

chuck d was the villain! as an eco-terrorisf!

i am sure it all aged terribly and it lead to way too many absolutely dire improv movies after

but that was a moment

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    So I had a weird experience at my showing of Doctor Strange. Trailers are rolling, dude in front of me, probably late 20's ish?

Super stoked for Thor.

Gets to the end of the trailer, which they show only the classic T-Rex skeleton logo and no title, and he no shit turns to his buddy and says:
    "Uh...Jurassic World?"
    "Oh man, that looks dope as hell. Do you think they'll make a series out of it?"

After Doctor Strange, I was behind them leaving the theater and the dude was making is friend google Jurassic Park.

Someone was excited for Jurassic World?

Sounds fake

I mean, I'm excited for it. It's going to be dumb as fuck but gonna have awesome looking dinosaurs and hopefully some visually interesting set pieces that will not break my suspension of disbelief for at least a day or two.

For a $7 AMC showing in an near empty theater, that's a good fucking afternoon right there.

• Options

i was fascinated by the first film

like, they filmed so much extra content they released a companion film with it as a best buy exclusive, "wake up, ron burgundy"

chuck d was the villain! as an eco-terrorisf!

i am sure it all aged terribly and it lead to way too many absolutely dire improv movies after

but that was a moment

I bet Anchorman is enough of a cartoon of a movie that it still mostly works, but Adam McKay was always the best at that genre of movie, anyways.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    drinking with crew people and just watching them just trade off wilder and wilder stories is a hell of a thing

Are the best stories about Billy, or Gene?

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I have decided Hell House LLC is a very good haunted house movie and the director's cut is very fun. It's not perfect but I loves it.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I have decided Hell House LLC is a very good haunted house movie and the director's cut is very fun. It's not perfect but I loves it.

The second one is good too.

The third one not so much.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Ketar wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The second one is good too.

The third one not so much.

I'm opposite on that, I think the third is better then the second. I like them both but neither as much as the first. That
    ghost soliloquy
    in the second just keeps going on.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    The 2nd Hell House might have the fakest fake tv show in movie history. It’s like they greenscreened a green screen.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    The 2nd Hell House might have the fakest fake tv show in movie history. It’s like they greenscreened a green screen.

yeah that was real bad

• Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular

Super stoked for Thor.

"Uh...Jurassic World?"

This reminds me very distinctly of when I saw Thor in theaters.

There was a guy in the front row watching, and when the Captain America: The First Avenger trailer comes on, he gets super excited, he's all in on Captain America.

Then the title comes up, Captain America: The First Avenger.

Trailer ends, theater goes quiet, and he asks, mystified, "Wait, the FIRST Avenger? There's MORE OF THIS GUY?"

Movie plays, movie ends, credits roll. Final words on the credits: "Thor will return in THE AVENGERS."

Guy goes "Wait, THOR'S AN AVENGER TOO? Damn, this movie's gonna have EVERYBODY..."

I desperately wish I could've seen The Avengers with this man.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's my favorite, although I very rarely listen to commentary tracks so it might be

But there's a track for Scott Pilgrim that is just the actors who played all the ancillary characters (Aubrey Plaza, Kieran Culkin, Anna Kendrick, and Mark Webber) having to record at eight am while hungover the day after a cast party

It's not good in many technical senses but I find it deeply enjoyable

Is that the one where Brandon Routh shows up late because he stopped on the way to pick up food for everyone?

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    The Dogma commentary is so wild that Mosier got pissed and made Kevin do a second technical one so they could actually talk about the movie.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    The Dogma commentary is so good. They make fun of Affleck so much

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    LadaiLadai Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    One of my favorite trailer reactions happened recently when I went to go see Everything Everywhere All at Once.

There was a trailer for Men. This trailer, in fact:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pt81CJcWZy8

Toward then end, when the tension is at its highest point, the main character asks, "What are you?" only to be answered by the title reveal: "MEN."

And pretty much every woman in the audience started laughing.

Ladai on
    ely3ub6du1oe.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure if it's my favorite, although I very rarely listen to commentary tracks so it might be

But there's a track for Scott Pilgrim that is just the actors who played all the ancillary characters (Aubrey Plaza, Kieran Culkin, Anna Kendrick, and Mark Webber) having to record at eight am while hungover the day after a cast party

It's not good in many technical senses but I find it deeply enjoyable

Is that the one where Brandon Routh shows up late because he stopped on the way to pick up food for everyone?

That's the one, yes. He brings everyone coffee and breakfast, it's very sweet.

• Options
    Snake GandhiSnake Gandhi Des Moines, IARegistered User regular
    I really enjoy the Tropic Thunder commentary, mainly because it's just Jack Black and RDJ (in character as Lincoln Osiris) just giving Ben Stiller shit for 2 hours.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I really enjoy the Tropic Thunder commentary, mainly because it's just Jack Black and RDJ (in character as Lincoln Osiris) just giving Ben Stiller shit for 2 hours.

Also, in the tradition of great commentary tracks, Jack Black shows up late with a sandwich and then RDJ gives him endless shit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Every time I see that Men trailer thumbnail I keep thinking Rory Kinnear is a super creepy Ewan McGregor

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Kevin Smith is, and I mean this as a complement, a human DVD commentary track.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I’d go so far as to say his commentary tracks are often better than the movies themselves. That Dogma one is so, so good.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Every time I see that Men trailer thumbnail I keep thinking Rory Kinnear is a super creepy Ewan McGregor

I keep thinking Guy Pearce in his iron man 3 flashback makeup.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »

I keep thinking Guy Pearce in his iron man 3 flashback makeup.

?

2u28bte6j5oa.jpg

???

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    my favorite commentary track is absolutely resident evil: apocalypse. i know i have talked about it before.

so, it's one of those tracks where actors did *not* record together, that was then cut together into one whole.

track a is mila jovovich and oded fehr eating a big fucking sandwich and bullshitting

track b is sienna guillory taking this all way too seriously and putting on airs. really being super pompous about this dumb as shit movie.

the intercutting between the two is just

the best

The first Resident Evil has a Milla and assorted actors track too, which is mostly just (good natured) shitting on the actors who aren't present, and then shit talking the actor who has to leave midway through the commentary.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Isn't the director Milla's husband?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    the resident evil movies are a vehicle for paul w.s. anderson to show off how cool his wife is, yes

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    the resident evil movies are a vehicle for paul w.s. anderson to show off how cool his wife is, yes

He may not be our best filmmaker, but he certainly has a clarity of vision that is admirable

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    He also brought us the best Wesker in cinematic history.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    He made a Monster Hunter movie so Milla could play the character she made while playing Monster Hunter.

I hope one day I meet someone who loves me that much.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

He may not be our best filmmaker, but he certainly has a clarity of vision that is admirable

Beaten only by Len Wiseman, who did the same thing with Beckinsale in dumb action movies, but also convinced her ex, Michael Sheen, to do the stunt where he runs on basically a carpet being pulled by a car for the first Underworld.

Unless Anderson made Luc Besson do something stupid on camera, I guess.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Motherfucker got hired to make a Three Musketeers movie and said, "You know I think actually the most important character in this book is Milady de Winter, who is going to be played by my wife by the way"

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

Motherfucker got hired to make a Three Musketeers movie and said, "You know I think actually the most important character in this book is Milady de Winter, who is going to be played by my wife by the way"

counterpoint:

orlando-bloom-three-musketeers-05.jpg

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    God I wish he could get more roles like that

He's so good as a campy villain

This discussion has been closed.