Options

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

1131416181927

Posts

  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    I see a Doom X-com being kind of like Daemonhunters in one aspect: you spend the whole game feeling powerful and badass but there's a couple mission where Kaldor Draigo shows up and he just looks at your team and says, "Oh you guys are so cute here let me solo the mission for you."

  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    I see a Doom X-com being kind of like Daemonhunters in one aspect: you spend the whole game feeling powerful and badass but there's a couple mission where Kaldor Draigo shows up and he just looks at your team and says, "Oh you guys are so cute here let me solo the mission for you."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bD7ho9BFk

    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Hevach wrote: »
    I see a Doom X-com being kind of like Daemonhunters in one aspect: you spend the whole game feeling powerful and badass but there's a couple mission where Kaldor Draigo shows up and he just looks at your team and says, "Oh you guys are so cute here let me solo the mission for you."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bD7ho9BFk

    Which is kinda funny, because Draigo is kinda squishy given what you're up against and you have to spend the whole mission managing him so he stays out of serious fighting.

  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I'd play an X-Doom game where you're surviving marines on Mars trying to not get got who realize Doom Guy has become a force of nature that actually has a chance of retaking the base. Basically it starts as survive these encounters and escape the base but then morphs into a game of behind the scenes supporting/guiding Doom Guy as he's the only one making headway but you can't communicate with him.

    Unsure if the finale is the squad choosing to continue to follow Doom Guy by taking the Portal to Hell or if that's left for the sequel

    Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Frem wrote: »
    -Loki- wrote: »
    There's so many games I'd like to see genre remixes on.

    Doom XCOM? Yes please!

    Mass Effect XCOM

    Chimera Squad is basically Mass Effect XCOM. Small paramilitary task force of misfit, quipping aliens who get into a shootouts on every single investigative mission? Which they travel to in the Mako? The only thing missing is the romance, which could be remedied by taking a page from Fire Emblem and adding more dialog at the base and friendship bonuses for teaming up with squad-mates. Maybe some interplanetary travel to round it out.

    The direction they went with the post-XCOM 2 setting is so good, and I really hope they keep Chimera Squad's diversity of abilities and fun vibes for XCOM 3.

    I caught a romance vibe from Snek Lady and Jane Kelly, which works because Jane is basically Vanguard Shepard, and Shepard would definitely bang an anthropomorphic snake (she has reach and flexibility).

  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    See I always felt Jane and Torque were a mentor/mentee relationship. Torque's true romantic pairing is with Whisper. That's why she hates him!

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    If anyone has not bitten the bullet on Daemonhunters like me, it's the headline game of Humble Choice this month.

    That's probably the cheapest way to get it I've seen yet.

    -Loki- on
  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    One issue I'm having with Wartales is the experience gain.

    I'm mostly level 7 and fighting level 8 guys and barely getting experience. maybe 55 a fight? i've got some people around 2/3 of the way to level 8 and it's gonna take 20 fights to level up.

    level 8 is a big power breakpoint due to all the good equipment you can craft and all my enemies have like 50% more armor than their counterparts so most battles I end up using 6-10 armor repairs and i'm basically running out of armor repairs after a few fights.

    am I better off just going to a previous zone and grinding there instead?

  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    One issue I'm having with Wartales is the experience gain.

    I'm mostly level 7 and fighting level 8 guys and barely getting experience. maybe 55 a fight? i've got some people around 2/3 of the way to level 8 and it's gonna take 20 fights to level up.

    level 8 is a big power breakpoint due to all the good equipment you can craft and all my enemies have like 50% more armor than their counterparts so most battles I end up using 6-10 armor repairs and i'm basically running out of armor repairs after a few fights.

    am I better off just going to a previous zone and grinding there instead?

    I ended up doing a fair amount of grinding in the starter zone after having some financial troubles and am now a little over-leveled for Vertruse (mopped the arena twice in one day) ay level 6-7. I still have a number of quests to go, and the horrible crocswine/mosquito swamp area does not seem appealing even though I have a bunch of missions there.

    New bounties do pop up every day or two, so I think it's fine to grind a little.

  • Options
    KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    1 level 1 bear - 38 xp
    4 level 8 bears - 48 xp

    hmmmm

  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    1 level 1 bear - 38 xp
    4 level 8 bears - 48 xp

    hmmmm

    Wait, static xp increase? Like you can go back to an earlier area for thar 38xp bear?

    That has to be a bug, right?

    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/xcom-2/steam-sale

    XCOM 2 is 90% off until Friday.

    That actually makes me a little optimistic that there is going to be an XCOM 3 announcement in the near future.

  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    After Midnight Suns and the lack of sales of it I hope so. It's a OK game, but every time I play it I wish 1)It was X-com 3 and 2)the game was set in the exploration map instead.

  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    After Midnight Suns and the lack of sales of it I hope so. It's a OK game, but every time I play it I wish 1)It was X-com 3 and 2)the game was set in the exploration map instead.

    I wish we lived in a world where we could have both. Like I loved midnight suns and would’ve loved even more to see a sequel where it took all the criticism and added a bunch of new stuff like that. I loved the core gameplay so much and even the cheesy writing had its own charm

    But if I had to choose I’d choose xcom, just wish I didn’t have to choose

  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    After Midnight Suns and the lack of sales of it I hope so. It's a OK game, but every time I play it I wish 1)It was X-com 3 and 2)the game was set in the exploration map instead.

    I wish we lived in a world where we could have both. Like I loved midnight suns and would’ve loved even more to see a sequel where it took all the criticism and added a bunch of new stuff like that. I loved the core gameplay so much and even the cheesy writing had its own charm

    But if I had to choose I’d choose xcom, just wish I didn’t have to choose

    For sure. I'm not a Marvel nerd like many of my friends, but the game was so obviously made by and for Marvel nerds that it makes me sad that most of them will never get around to playing it because it didn't get the market penetration it needed.

  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah I found some of the dialog wasn't great, but a lot of it was really good and showed a genuine interest/love for these characters. Their treatment of some of the more obscure characters I hadn't really heard about before this game like Magik and Nico was terrific.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Just started Midnight Suns. Is the bit about heroes keeping up with the Hunter just a lie, or is it only true to a certain extent. Hunter is level 4, and I definitely have people who are still level 3.

    Feels like the difficulty scaling is a bit rough at the beginning. Blade got up to level 7, if I take him and two level 3 scrubs on a mission, the scrubs are basically useless because they do almost no damage relative to enemy HP pools. Hopefully that will smooth out a bit as everyone gets to higher level, or I'll have to be careful not to mix and match character levels on a mission.

  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The other heroes will always be no weaker than 3 levels under the Hunter.

    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    If you (early game research)
    run 3 missions with Magik
    you'll unlock a way to powerlevel heroes once a day if there's somebody you want to bring who is too far behind.

    e: Also, there's a Midnight Suns dedicated thread.

    antherem on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The dirty secret is that enemies scale to your levels, so powerleveling is largely unnecessary. I haven't bothered buying the THREAT room in my current game and I'm fine.

  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah...the threat room seems kind of unnecessary cause like you have auto leveling and xp is exponential anyway.

    If they wanted it to be useful could have made it so I dunno you get free card essences the first time you beat it every day.

  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah...the threat room seems kind of unnecessary cause like you have auto leveling and xp is exponential anyway.

    If they wanted it to be useful could have made it so I dunno you get free card essences the first time you beat it every day.

    What the Threat Room really does is dismantle the illusion that having more heroes makes you more powerful. Diluting your hand with cards from three heroes in many cases makes you weaker, which is why Charlie, bless her face, just isn't a good legendary card to play.

  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    Kind of why Iron Man is so strong.

    Not only can he circumvent this he gets bonuses for doing it.

    Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    The new Alien XCOM game is fun. It is not turn based, but you can slow down the action with space bar to issue special ability orders.

    Will post more laterz

  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Kruite wrote: »
    The new Alien XCOM game is fun. It is not turn based, but you can slow down the action with space bar to issue special ability orders.

    Will post more laterz
    For clarity, you mean Aliens: Dark Descent?

  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Kruite wrote: »
    The new Alien XCOM game is fun. It is not turn based, but you can slow down the action with space bar to issue special ability orders.

    Will post more laterz
    For clarity, you mean Aliens: Dark Descent?

    Yes

    Its also hard .

    If you can call it a boss, the first area boss repeatedly killed me. Took me a half hour to do it without getting marines killed.

    IE this game is hard. I suspect this is the training wheels level. Very excited

    Kruite on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The prologue story is hilariously bad. Like MST3K bad.

    “Lewis let me in!”
    “No way, the door is staying closed so those things can’t get in!”
    “They’re in the vents!”
    “Vents? AHHHHHHHHHHH” *splat*

    I understand it gets better as it goes but for now I'm very much enjoying the camp.

  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I'm skeptical if a non-turn-based game can be said to be an XCOM, but as we've already discussed, I am not the XCOM police.

  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    You can change space bar to pause the game instead of slow it down, if you prefer a more tactical kind of experience, which I do

  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    You can change space bar to pause the game instead of slow it down, if you prefer a more tactical kind of experience, which I do

    That just makes it a Baldur's Gate, not an XCOM.

  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Knowing nothing about the game, is there a % to hit so my apparently trained marine can have a clean shot at a stationary enemy six feet and miss by ten feet? If it does, I will class it as an XCOM game.

    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Daemonhunters doesn't have that. It's mechanic is damage reduction (good enough cover can reduce damage from light weapons right to zero, and armor makes the first few points of damage every turn free). And Battletech has a mix of % to hit and sure to hit weapon types, with the armor bar being far cheaper to refill than the health bar.

    Better measure is "means to mitigate damage in the tactical game, with unmitigated damage incurring a penalty on the damaged units carried into the strategic game."

  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about the game, is there a % to hit so my apparently trained marine can have a clean shot at a stationary enemy six feet and miss by ten feet? If it does, I will class it as an XCOM game.

    Accuracy is a stat, yes

  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Now we are cooking with charcoal!*

    *The charcoal is the remains of the soldier who missed, after the Mutons next turn.

    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    There's at least one XCOM that let you choose between the standard turn based TU battles, or real time with pause.

    The one with brainsuckers. Oh, you killed the alien at point blank with the last of your TU? Good news, it was carrying a sack of brainsuckers and they'll be munching your soldier on the alien turn!

  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I'm skeptical if a non-turn-based game can be said to be an XCOM, but as we've already discussed, I am not the XCOM police.

    I am very specifically disappointed in it because it's exactly the opposite of XCOM. I saw someone describe it as "Aliens XCOM" and I was like OMG.

    Imagine my immense disappointment that it's a real time tactics game.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    There's at least one XCOM that let you choose between the standard turn based TU battles, or real time with pause.

    The one with brainsuckers. Oh, you killed the alien at point blank with the last of your TU? Good news, it was carrying a sack of brainsuckers and they'll be munching your soldier on the alien turn!

    Apocalypse. The realtime mode actually made the combat considerably easier as all the soldiers are active and reacting at once so situations like a brainsucker running down a soldier is met with a dozen disruptors set on full-auto instead of trying to run one soldier into line of sight with enough time units to hopefully hit it with a single shot. It actually made for a great display of how deadly your weaponry got as the game advanced because you'd start with guns that did fuck-all and creep up into weapons that are boring out the landing bay of a UFO as you pour high-tech weapon fire inside. And you could also pause the realtime mode to suddenly adjust targets, so overall your soldiers were hugely less vulnerable to enemies picking out a soldier and gunning them down before you could respond.

    And once you had the flying armor and top-end poison darts, you could set your soldiers in a flying line and they would just sweep over the battlefield, annihilating anything dumb enough to be seen.

  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    You could also give them one gun in each hand and have them fire twice as fast for maximum dakka.

  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    My dad and I played a ton of Apocalypse. Definitely agree that dual-wield dart guns is the play. Toxin A was kinda garbage, but Toxin B was great for the whole game. And Toxin C was even better, but not worth the effort to capture the alien queen alive for it.

    Dakka dakka.

    Fry on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    You could also give them one gun in each hand and have them fire twice as fast for maximum dakka.

    Haha, I forgot about that.Yeah, you could have like twenty soldiers out there by the end of the game, all dual-wielding weapons for maximum volume of fire and they would really lay down a lot of fire. I would actually normally run with only like one dart dude per squad and hand everybody else disruptors. Anything big enough not to die to a salvo of disrupter fire couldn't take a volley of Toxin B, and limiting the dart guns to a handful of soldiers saved a massive amount of time and resources for synthesizing Toxin B. And since dart guns were worthless against terrain, it was good to have the infinite-ammo disruptors handy in case you needed to carve out the bottom floor of a structure and collapse the building.

    Though it's pretty wild that to this very day, I've yet to see a AAA-retail game that could stitch together semi-procedurally-generated maps like Apocalypse and allow for full building destruction, both on the overmap and in battles. I remember the malls and farms being especially nasty places to fight with lots of overhead structures that would collapse during combat (and potentially make for some very expensive mission if things got real hot, since you'd end up bring down half the buildings).

    Ninja Snarl P on
Sign In or Register to comment.