Options

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Dart guns were also great because they ignored enemy shields, so you could farm a lot more shield generators much faster

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Biggest shock for me is that its apparently just a good game.

What happened to the days where licensed games were all shovelware.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I am honestly impressed by their ability to justify Geoscape mechanics in a xenomorph outbreak. The actual tactical gameplay is not Xcom-like so far, but it is also pretty solid. Game's warning me that my soldiers are getting stressed and I'm like "They're stressed? I'm fucking stressed!"

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    Yea I had a squad wipe when one of the bulldozer aliens appeared in a small office room with only one way out. Knocked the whole squad down and gg

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    I am honestly impressed by their ability to justify Geoscape mechanics in a xenomorph outbreak. The actual tactical gameplay is not Xcom-like so far, but it is also pretty solid. Game's warning me that my soldiers are getting stressed and I'm like "They're stressed? I'm fucking stressed!"

Just deal with it because we need you and I’m sick of your bullshit!

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    Knowing nothing about the game, is there a % to hit so my apparently trained marine can have a clean shot at a stationary enemy six feet and miss by ten feet? If it does, I will class it as an XCOM game.

Accuracy is a stat, yes

Not only that but stress (which piles on so damn fast) leads to cascading accuracy penalties.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    I didn't have a real grasp of the trauma and fear mechanic for the first few deployments on mission 1.

All of my best marines had max lvl (9) level of trauma. One became a manic pill popper, my medic became deathly afraid of fire, and a 3rd became paranoid.

The paranoia might be the worst as it makes the marine start missions with more stress and amplifies stress acquisition

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The missions are apparently long enough that you are supposed to evacuate when stress is out of control and come back to finish later

Seems to me like the ideal play style is stealth über alles until the game literally takes that choice away from you by having your marines all full-auto the chestburster

• Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    Wait, you guys are making this sound like a halfway decent game with some depth in its mechanics!

• Options
    The missions are apparently long enough that you are supposed to evacuate when stress is out of control and come back to finish later

Seems to me like the ideal play style is stealth über alles until the game literally takes that choice away from you by having your marines all full-auto the chestburster

Exactly this.

Stealth when possible. I have my guys evacuate when stress is at tier 2 to max with no way to relieve OR, there is a soft time limit on deployment time.

Every alien engagement, whether its a one drone kill, hunt (aliens are aware of your presence and actively look for you) , or invasion (game doesn't call it this; basically you get a swarm of aliens on your location that you have about 30 seconds to prepare for. Hiding will not save you) increases the alien threat level. Light aggression will have little to no drones on the map patrolling. Medium aggression drops in more aliens on patrols. There is another tier of aggression that I don't want to see. Having runner aliens on patrols is already difficult to dodge, and I had that occur on a later mission with medium threat.

The threat bar is like a ruler that slides right as aggression increases. It will tell you when hunts, invasions, or large monster aliens will come onto the map, so these events are not entirely random

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    From the little I saw last night early on stress didn't seem to be a gigantic factor, the limit was ammo (suppression fire is very effective at buying your other marines time to kill their targets but absolutely blows through your ammunition). I can easily imagine that once you get into missions that start with higher aggression stress becomes a bigger deal but it's quite manageable on the first map as long as you're not deliberately pissing everything off.

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    ugghhhhh I have too many games I'm currently trying to deal with, I do not need to get into Dark Descent too :joy:
    (this is my willpower failing)

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Something that hasn't been mentioned is that you find additional resources - for the base-building, but also for your current deployment - scattered through the map. Crucially, however, ammo that you collect on the map does not carry over between deployments, which can lead to some real serious strategic considerations - do I leave this ammo crate for later, or go ahead and grab it now and press my luck? What if my next objective is on the other end of the (huge) map? Can I safely get back to this resource without spending more than I get out of it?

It's like Meld, except that instead of being time-limited sometimes your squad will spend a week in recovery if you don't grab it, and sometimes they'll spend a week in recovery if they do. Choose wisely!

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    The ammo capacity thing is making me seriously reconsider the pouch/bag upgrades as a necessity

• Options
    Man I was going to make a joke about how there is conveniently a lab on this troop transport ship with a full staff of scientist who want me to gather samples from the aliens so they can design an alien containment facility... and then literally one mission later he's like "Oh by the way we have this alien containment facility right over there for... some reason. You know, just in case you feel like tazing a xenomorph."

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Man I was going to make a joke about how there is conveniently a lab on this troop transport ship with a full staff of scientist who want me to gather samples from the aliens so they can design an alien containment facility... and then literally one mission later he's like "Oh by the way we have this alien containment facility right over there for... some reason. You know, just in case you feel like tazing a xenomorph."

Sounds like Weyland-Yutani, alright.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    I am really enjoying it so far although I haven't been this stressed out playing a game since Alien Isolation I think. The theme is effective.

One issue I have had is with people getting stuck in interactions. At one point I had to take an elevator, effectively loading into a new level, before it would let me heal a marine that was stuck welding or something.

I have also had it get super laggy on me a couple of times.

Having stealth mechanics in a game where you can't precisely control individual movement is... questionable.

I love all the stuff calling back to the comics and toys. Xenomorphs explicitly falling into different types based on their hosts, weird psychic shit,
    xenomorph worshipping cults

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023

Yeah, there's nothing coincidental at all about this, it is literally normal operation by WY. The part of the door that says "alien" is probably just permanent marker scrawled on some tape and slapped on the door label real fast, WY just really likes having the option of putting things in containment facilities for study.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Yeah, there's nothing coincidental at all about this, it is literally normal operation by WY. The part of the door that says "alien" is probably just permanent marker scrawled on some tape and slapped on the door label real fast, WY just really likes having the option of putting things in containment facilities for study.

It's better to have the alien containment facility and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    When I build my dream home, you can bet it will have an alien containment facility.

It could double as a fish tank when not in use.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Giving a W-Y scientist access to a xenomorph is always a good time

I hope the betrayal is both epic and inevitable

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I just love how WY are always like “think of the applications!” for the xenomorph. Always makes me think of this

https://youtu.be/reZohBakSQc

• Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    Played through the tutorial and the first mission drop last night. Holy crap, the beeping from proximity sensor is awakening some long-dormant ptsd because my heart was literally pounding as I was racing through blind corridors trying to get away from a blinking white dot. I don’t think any of my guys even got scratched once we got into actual firefights (1-2 at a time only, it is the first mission!), but just like the movie the threat of the hidden monster is scary in itself. I hope I can build some confidence in better gear and leveled marines since I’m not sure I can take the level of sustained stress I had from mission 1!

I realize this is an intentional parallel with the stress building up in the marines, and it is well done, but that doesn’t stop it being stressful!

Sidenote: I’m a little frustrated that every marine has a negative quirk and no positive quirks. Do you get the ability later to remove and/or add quirks or am I just going to have to roll for a squad of least-hamstrung dudes?

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Having stealth mechanics in a game where you can't precisely control individual movement is... questionable.

I actually kinda like it. It makes you feel like Gorman and Ripley from the colonist rescue mission in Aliens. You can issue orders and have general command but the marines aren’t always going to be 100% competent or even smart, sometimes.

I get that it can feel like you’re getting punished for something out of your control, though.

• Options
    eMoander wrote: »
    Played through the tutorial and the first mission drop last night. Holy crap, the beeping from proximity sensor is awakening some long-dormant ptsd because my heart was literally pounding as I was racing through blind corridors trying to get away from a blinking white dot. I don’t think any of my guys even got scratched once we got into actual firefights (1-2 at a time only, it is the first mission!), but just like the movie the threat of the hidden monster is scary in itself. I hope I can build some confidence in better gear and leveled marines since I’m not sure I can take the level of sustained stress I had from mission 1!

I realize this is an intentional parallel with the stress building up in the marines, and it is well done, but that doesn’t stop it being stressful!

Sidenote: I’m a little frustrated that every marine has a negative quirk and no positive quirks. Do you get the ability later to remove and/or add quirks or am I just going to have to roll for a squad of least-hamstrung dudes?

When the marines level up, you get a passive perk to choose from a list of 3. There's a perk called redemption that removes the negative trait. Roll of the dice.

The worst trait so far is kleptomaniac, they steal 20 materials at the end of their deployment

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023

It's better to have the alien containment facility and not need it, than need it and not have it.

And if you have a containment facility, you may as well use it. One weird colonist disease, disorder, or psychotic genius and it's practically paid for itself. I would think it oddly specific that the windows all say "NOT RESISTANT TO ACID" in big red letters, though. What kind of disease would bring its own acid? Completely bizarre line of thought there.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Kruite wrote: »

When the marines level up, you get a passive perk to choose from a list of 3. There's a perk called redemption that removes the negative trait. Roll of the dice.

The worst trait so far is kleptomaniac, they steal 20 materials at the end of their deployment

Nice! That makes me feel a little better. I don't have anyone with Kleptomaniac, but the one I have that seems like a non-starter prevents 10 points of stress reduction for the whole squad every rest. And the other one reduces xp gain for the soldier, which if my guys aren't leveling then they are probably dead weight imo. Things like -1 health (if I'm down to 1hp, things are likely going south anyways) and -10% accuracy (squad-based fire feels like less reliance on the xcom one-chance-to-hit-or-die mechanics) seem to me to be the least bad at this point.

I do have one soldier that ends every mission exhausted, which I was initially thinking would be a deal-breaker since she would be off-cycle with the rest of the squad, but now I'm thinking won't really be a hindrance if I am pushing the squad to longer missions and everyone would be exhausted anyways. What could possibly go wrong with that approach??

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options

Nice! That makes me feel a little better. I don't have anyone with Kleptomaniac, but the one I have that seems like a non-starter prevents 10 points of stress reduction for the whole squad every rest. And the other one reduces xp gain for the soldier, which if my guys aren't leveling then they are probably dead weight imo. Things like -1 health (if I'm down to 1hp, things are likely going south anyways) and -10% accuracy (squad-based fire feels like less reliance on the xcom one-chance-to-hit-or-die mechanics) seem to me to be the least bad at this point.

I do have one soldier that ends every mission exhausted, which I was initially thinking would be a deal-breaker since she would be off-cycle with the rest of the squad, but now I'm thinking won't really be a hindrance if I am pushing the squad to longer missions and everyone would be exhausted anyways. What could possibly go wrong with that approach??

The resting one changes it from -100 stress to -90 which to me makes that one pretty trivial actual. And I'm not sure what the average XP per mission is, but -1 on it may also be trivial.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    We are MIGHTY warriors.

edit- I need some fucking naproleve.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Wrong topic!

EspantaPajaro on
  • Options
    "Disobedient" doesn't seem bad yet. It takes two Disobedient soldiers in a team for it to take effect by dropping your Command Points by 1, so taking one Disobedient soldier doesn't have a downside. There's another trait that takes two soldiers for it as well so if you can have one of each, that amounts to basically only two negative Traits on the team.

Also, the ARC is your buddy. I'm still running the first mission on day 6, but now I can park it somewhere near my operational area and be able to use it to keep xenos from outside the building from getting in, having a place to drop colonists in a hurry, or having a safe spot to fall back to. Had an Onslaught kick in at one point so I had the team flat-out sprint the whole way out of the back corner of a building and then plant on the other side of the ARC. Chews up xenos like crazy, doesn't get stressed, doesn't need to reload, and the xenos have to go around it to even reach me. Must've dropped 15-20 Drones in that one doorway. Oh, and interesting bit of info: kills made by the ARC don't cause the Hive to investigate and don't increase xeno aggressiveness. So if you park the ARC in an area the Hive frequents with patrols, it'll chew up enemies with no penalty to the mission.

And as far as I can tell, don't be stingy from pulling back from a mission. A lot better to go back a little early to purge building issues than keep pushing and acquire permanent problems. The Hive won't get any more aggressive while you're gone and you can come back with a fresh team with full gear, armor, health, and no stress.

• Options

The resting one changes it from -100 stress to -90 which to me makes that one pretty trivial actual. And I'm not sure what the average XP per mission is, but -1 on it may also be trivial.

At least on the starting mission my other soldiers got three xp and that one only got two, so a 33% hit on xp gain seemed like a nonstarter.

I didn’t realize baseline reduction was -100; agree that might not be as bad as I thought, but anything that penalizes the whole squad as opposed to one guy seemed bad on its face.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I think these alien animals might just be the edge we need in the fight against communism. A few of these dropped on a UPP colony? Weyland-Yutani: Solving Problems.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Weyland Yutani and Umbrella Corp really predator muscle shaking on being perfectly powerful and profitable companies just weirdly obsessed with objectively dangerous and unprofitable ventures

• Options
    I really don't like how the xenotech works. Big upfront cost and you have to pay every time you want them on a mission? And they are all passive bonuses that may or may not actually be relevant in any given mission? This is like the dumbest possible combination of mechanics. The only strategy would seem to be to just not use them until you are doing a new story mission or maybe redoing one you had to pull out of because it was too hard and then spam basically all of them.

• Options
    I really don't like how the xenotech works. Big upfront cost and you have to pay every time you want them on a mission? And they are all passive bonuses that may or may not actually be relevant in any given mission? This is like the dumbest possible combination of mechanics. The only strategy would seem to be to just not use them until you are doing a new story mission or maybe redoing one you had to pull out of because it was too hard and then spam basically all of them.

You get A LOT of xenotech later on. I'm sitting on 60 right now and I try to take the +1 armor and acid splash techs. Those two are easily worth the cost if you can afford it.

(queens drop 8, the praetorian and crusher drop 4, and you kill so many drones, runners, and warriors later on that you can easily get 2-4 tech per deployment.

• Options

You get A LOT of xenotech later on. I'm sitting on 60 right now and I try to take the +1 armor and acid splash techs. Those two are easily worth the cost if you can afford it.

(queens drop 8, the praetorian and crusher drop 4, and you kill so many drones, runners, and warriors later on that you can easily get 2-4 tech per deployment.

Makes me wonder about doing a mission just to farm it by setting up around the ARC and deliberately getting spotted to spawn assault waves and elites.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Okay, this objective is just kinda... stupid. Like, wildly stupidly unbalanced. Have to push through these mines where the lines of sight make hiding problematic, so getting to the objective without stirring up the Hive some is just about impossible. Then it drops a fucking Queen on you. And then in the middle of the fight, a fuckload of facehuggers come at you while you fight the Queen. If I hadn't bought incinerators just before this mission, this fight would be fucking ridiculous. Even then, it took five tries before I could both kill the Queen and not have a Marine snaked by a random fucking facehugger. And of course you caused a huge fucking ruckus so now a Hunt is on and there's nowhere in this room to hide or hole up, so you have to fight the Drones that show up. Which cause more Drones to show up. Which then kicks up the Hive to level 3, which also lets loose a Crusher plus the Drones coming after you. On top of all this shit, they want you to carry two civilians out which means two of your Marines can only use sidearms. And you can't fucking defend this room decently. There's more than one way in and basically no chokepoints, and the whole place is a hive so I can't even weld anything shut to Rest.

I felt like Hard was decently balanced up to this point, but this one spot is really doing a lot of work to change my mind. Can I just... leave after I kill the Queen? Because she isn't even the hard part. The hard part is repeatedly picking up Marines off the ground from concussions as aliens just pour into the room, and then the Crusher catches up and you are really fucked because it can just slam through your whole team and follow with AoE attacks. I just don't see a reasonable way of walking out of this place with two civilians crippling the team the whole way out.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Huh, I only had one to rescue. I can think of a couple of options. Leave. Come back and beeline to the mines avoiding any encounters so you enter the mines with no threat built up. Run to the Queen and spam some turrets down to cover your back. Should probably be able to kill her and deal with any adds while only triggering the first onslaught at worst.

Turrets don't trigger detection so if you can get one down to cover the side tunnel off the southern exit with the spawn point you can activate the bridge and then you should have a decent chance of dodging any patrols on the way back.

You can theoretically exploit the fuck out of dropping motion trackers and then setting the noise maker off to keep the aliens busy on the other side of the map while you do shit.

Something I just saw suggested that I haven't had a chance to try yet is mines also don't trigger detection so you could just drop a couple on a tunnel you know they are patrolling past to kill one which should create an opening to move up before it respawns.

I'm on normal and that Queen killed half my squad and I did end up having to save scum like a half dozen times before I got the right timing to get back to the elevator without being spotted.

HamHamJ on
  • Options
    Don't have the resources for mines but motion tracker decoy might do it without having to restart the whole mission, I've got a couple of those set up outside the fight chamber. If that will pull the follow-up Drones after the fight, that might be enough to keep from being detected repeatedly as aliens pour in and I'm just trying to do the damn objective and thus avoid the Onslaught. And said Onslaught also triggers the level 3 Hive activity and spawns the Crusher, so maybe it will also avoid that.

Of course I can't even close or seal the door to the room, either. Once you open it, it stays open so I can't even weld it shut to buy time.