Options

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Me after every extraction;

https://youtu.be/0fAbLH_gFag

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Even then, it took five tries before I could both kill the Queen and not have a Marine snaked by a random fucking facehugger.

Hear me out, here.

Just spitballing.

Don't you think that the mission is more important than one marine's safety?

And have you considered the benefits...to science, and therefore all of humanity...if we were to put that marine and the facehugger into stasis?

We could bring them back to the main lab and...save... them.

Yes. Have you considered the potential benefits to WY's quarterly report?

I think the marine would want it that way, if they could speak.

• Options
    I'd say the game reminds me more of Syndicate than XCOM.

Though I do recognize that if you were trying to describe what the game is like to someone saying "XCOM" would be considerably more understood than "Syndicate"

I miss Syndicate.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Haha, they hotfixed the DOUBLE TIME every 2 seconds while asking your marines to stealth around

Guess they got some "feedback" about that

• Options
    EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

Though I do recognize that if you were trying to describe what the game is like to someone saying "XCOM" would be considerably more understood than "Syndicate"

I miss Syndicate.

Wasn’t there an EA reboot way back in the 360 era ? Was it any good?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

I miss Syndicate.

Wasn’t there an EA reboot way back in the 360 era ? Was it any good?
    Syndicate reboot was a FPS and better than it had any right to be. really solid multiplayer too (even if it was tuned a little on the harder side)

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Recon with sniper and silencer really is a game changer in being able to avoid fights. But not as entertaining as using a drone to lure xenos to your ARC.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    I've named a marine now.. And I shall call him Scott O'Bannon. Do me proud little buddy and I promise to turn you into a grizzled quivering stress ball of issues!
    Day 2 of Aliens Dark Descent on ps4.
    It is a bit clunky in some areas. Not bad though. I think this one is a bit of a rough gem, but I like it! Being a fan helps of course, a fan who also likes this very type of game.

• Options
    Okay I am genuinely enjoying this game.

Setting wise they absolutely nailed it. Everything looks right and sounds right. Hell, they even have a goddamn cat on the ship!

Gameplay wise it is great. I'm sure there is room for improvement in the future, but as a first outing I think they succeeded in making a truly harrowing tactical game experience. Probably one of the most diabolical decisions the Devs made was not having a clear cut "end" to missions. It is so easy to keep pressing on and pressing on some more until you realize all too late that while you were able to get to your destination and complete your objective just fine you now have to go all the way back and buddy you are out of everything except the enemy. Learning when to hold em or when to fold em is a critical skill you need to develop.

The persistent level design is also a really nice touch and feeds nicely into the resource management side of the game. And goddamn making staff and marine recruitment tied to literally rescuing colonists is /chefskiss. Even having to fireman carry wounded marines out of the AO so they can get medical attention and be able to rejoin the fight just reinforces how valuable every person is.

The game may have a bit of jank, but IMHO compared to a lot of big budget releases over the last few years this game is pretty solidly built. Plus I'd say the game is fairly priced.

While people may try to compare the game to others of its genre (which is totally fine) I would argue that Aliens: Dark Descent is not "[insert game] but Aliens". It very much is its own thing.

• Options

While people may try to compare the game to others of its genre (which is totally fine) I would argue that Aliens: Dark Descent is not "[insert game] but Aliens". It very much is its own thing.

Maybe it needs its own thread?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm sold.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Unfortunately I think the bugginess may actually be a serious problem. I just had an objective not complete after doing an interaction. Luckily the last autosave was only like 10 minutes earlier, but if I hadn't caught it or was playing on a harder difficulty level with fewer saves I could easily see that resulting in having to replay a lot or even getting soft locked.

And someone getting stuck thinking they are welding a door so they can no longer do anything else or shoot has now happened multiple times. It's a very disappointing flaw on an otherwise pretty fun game.

HamHamJ on
    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Yeah, had to give up on the first mission into a Hive, it just wasn't reasonably workable with the tools I had and the mission state. Triggering the Onslaught was set to be just too close to when I killed the Queen and story events set it up so that triggering that Onslaught feels rather inevitable, which triggers the Elite spawn mid-Onslaught and then it's just a big pile of failure.

Anyway, canned the mission and used it to do some experimenting, here's some things to note:
    1. The game doesn't seem to cheat with either the Hive investigating noise or doing a Hunt. In both cases, enemies will head right for the source of the disturbance but you can wait them both out if you can keep undiscovered.
    2. The Hunt timer is suspended if the Hive finds you, but it does not reset. So if you burn through 90% of the time hiding, get caught, and kill the xenos that see you, the timer only has 10% remaining.
    3. A Hunt will only send existing enemies at you, plus whatever enemies have been spawned in due to the normal spawn timer.
    4. An Onslaught will spawn new enemies and a lot of them. They also seem to know your location at all times and will attack until the Onslaught wave is dead.
    5. Thus fair, every Onslaught wave has spawned far away from me so you should always have some time to get defenses in order.
    6. Drop Motion Trackers basically any time you're at max Command Points and don't have a fight pending. They're permanent and they can give you a HUGE advantage by letting you see EXACTLY where the Onslaught is coming from on the overmap.
    7. Bottlenecks are good, corners are BAD. Marines need a little time to kill a target at a safe distance and corners let enemies run RIGHT up to the squad and start attacking. An ideal position has a bottleneck at a distance and no way for enemies to reroute and come around corners at you from close range.
    8. Suppression fire is absolutely essentially to winning fights against more than 1-2 Drones without damage. It drops enemies to a crawl and groups them up, buying time to pour on damage and hit them with AoE attacks. But Suppression Fire is only useful BEFORE enemies reach you; if they're already on top of you once you remember it, it's useless.
    9. Don't use Suppression Fire if a shotgun/grenade/incinerator blast will do. Those are "free" attacks and don't consume ammo (just a Command Point, which recharge), so using these smartly can save a ton of ammo.
    10. Flame walls can be useful, but also unpredictable. If you block enemies enough, they'll crawl through the fire to get you. If you leave a gap, they'll move over to the gap. If you block one route and they can go around with less damage, they might do that. But if you get a solid bottleneck, you can slow enemies as much as Suppression Fire and deal damage over time without burning extra ammo.
    11. Stack advantages. A chokepoint primed with a flare, flames, and Suppression fire with turrets pointing at it can effectively triple or quadruple your firepower.
    12. Suppression fire lasts until you cancel it. Until you cancel it, the Marine suppressing will keep focused on wherever you place the pin, even if the rest of the team swivels to a new target. So be careful about cancelling Suppression Fire when you get flanked.

Also, you can go into the gameplay options and change the Command menu to stop time instead of just slowing time. The controls seem buggy and sluggish, so I set it to the time stop option so I don't have soldiers eating damage while I'm fighting with the interface. This can also be useful if you want to pause the gameplay and look around the normal map without timers and whatnot running. Oh, and you can use the Overmap to place a flag that will show up on the normal map, making it much easier to navigate the camera and team to a specific spot.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    My marines are currently stuck in the ARC. The game saved when I moved them in to redeploy and when I loaded the save later there’s no option to pull them back out. Literally stuck in the ARC like it’s a hubris sub on its way to see the remains of the Titanic.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    My marines are currently stuck in the ARC. The game saved when I moved them in to redeploy and when I loaded the save later there’s no option to pull them back out. Literally stuck in the ARC like it’s a hubris sub on its way to see the remains of the Titanic.

Except the problem is that the Marines have figured out the safe place is inside the ARC, so the obvious solution is to never get out.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I do mean to brag and I will...
    Despite a bug not letting me choose my team or equip any gear on day 3 and starting with zero supplies or that kick ass sentry gun I got last mission, I was forced to take a team of weak disobediant, jinxed Marine rookies and cleaned out a 100 or so Xeno's and completed 63% of my objectives without any new trauma and promoting the whole team from maggots to Pvt's. Had to bug out though, because Hive aggression was at max.
    How about that, chums!?

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think the bugginess may actually be a serious problem. I just had an objective not complete after doing an interaction. Luckily the last autosave was only like 10 minutes earlier, but if I hadn't caught it or was playing on a harder difficulty level with fewer saves I could easily see that resulting in having to replay a lot or even getting soft locked.

And someone getting stuck thinking they are welding a door so they can no longer do anything else or shoot has now happened multiple times. It's a very disappointing flaw on an otherwise pretty fun game.

Yeah, I’m playing with the option that I only get one auto save when you do a rest and it’s getting a little frustrating with bugs. There’s a couple areas in mission 2 at least where marines get stuck on geometry or frozen which then you can’t group up to move to a new area or anything. Had to redo the last battle three or four times for no reason other than that I literally couldn’t move the elevator to get back to the ARC afterwards. I like the concept of the limited saves and tying it to rests since it adds another layer of decision making and risk management, but not cool when one of those risks is just the game deciding to not work.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I beat the game. It was fun. I want more. I didn't get a chance to try the plasma guns. Mines are your friend. So are rocket launchers. On medium 1 rocket will kill a praetorian or crusher. Two rockets will kill the queen.

There are a couple bugs that I hope they fix. There was a mission that had the elevator bug out on me. The interaction would stop, but the marine would just stand at the counsel and the level/floor change would not initiate.

There's another tutorial like mission later where you need to pick up a torch in order to cut a door. Even though I picked up the item, the game still thought I hadn't picked it up. So, ie, there's character interaction with environmental triggers misfires.

• Options
    Alright, re-ran the end of the first map and it went tremendously easier this time. Only had one Hunt happen on my way to the Queen fight, which meant the Hive was still down in the Easy range when the fight started. A few mines laid along my way in meant patrols getting blasted and distracted investigating, but way back in the other direction. Queen fight tried to (literally) go sideways on me but because I set my suppression fire to focus on a point I could swivel around, I was able pull the squad back and get the Queen slowed back down. She got a couple swipes in but went down pretty quick, with only one Drone coming up my back to help her... and it was destroyed by a mine before it could hit the team.

I was definitely right that releasing the cocooned person with the chestburster spawned a Drone nearby. Pretty sure this was just scripted rather than releasing chestbursters simply spawning drones as a rule, but regardless I had a mine set up for it. Got my squad out of sight, it went over the mine, and boom, it's down to a crawl. Interesting bit of information: dismembered aliens do NOT die after a while, but ones without a leg(s) are waaaaaay slowed down on patrols. Following that, it took a bit of chancy maneuvering but I was able to get out without triggering any more aliens.

So that particular objective has a little bit of inconvenient scripting, but not the Onslaught or Elite that were kicking my ass before. Turns out those were just part of the game dynamics and I flubbed the entry on the mission.

• Options
    Still having a bug I think... Med bay isn't letting me assign doctors. Or it isn't keeping track of patients correctly? I can't choose my starting Marines. I can remove them, just not pick any new ones. Still some jank on this one for Ps4. Give it a month and the "early access" release date will be given polish. At least my recommend for those still on the fence about this game.

• Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    kowp02ohmqku.png

Hey Queen Bee, I have a cookie for yea.

Mines are your friend. Place them in common patrol spots and watch the drones and runners go SPLAT

Kruite on
  • Options
    Did a re-install and reload of a save which seemed to work with my bug issues. Still a few minor graphical hiccups in deployment cutscene and Marine appearance customization. Nothing game breaking though. It took me a bit to figure out how to equip a flame unit or mine. There isn't an obvious way to change gear using the menus which makes it seem as if you don't have the new gear.
    Despite all that I'm having fun with the game. It's a very good balance of tension and action. I like the "continuous" Colony with everything as I left it. Playing on medium does have a bit of a learning curve, but I feel ready to do some better bug stomping now. Speaking of which, how many hosts are at the "Dead Hills" colony, including the cattle farm? I must have cleared out 300 xenos or so by now!
    The hive has got to be empty...

And a tip... plant a motion detector in far corners of the map or center of it, then remote detonate the alarm trigger as needed. It makes clearing your area of deployment a bit easier as the Bugs clear out of your spot for a bit.

• Options
    Kruite wrote: »
    kowp02ohmqku.png

Hey Queen Bee, I have a cookie for yea.

Mines are your friend. Place them in common patrol spots and watch the drones and runners go SPLAT

Yeah, I'm finding that regular mine placement really really helps keep patrol numbers down on top of reducing available xenos when a Hunt happens. My order of operations for missions thus far is the first run into a place prioritizes motion tracker placement, then switches over to mines when needed. The following groups through constantly place mines at every opportunity. It results in saving a ton of ammo and sneaking around, both because you aren't encountering as many patrols and because the fights that do happen have fewer xenos in them.

Anyway, fuck me this game can get intense. Had to sneak my ass through some warehouses which featured Drones in stasis. For the record, Drones in stasis do not show up on the motion tracker. They sit in a spot and can detect you, albeit slowly, but you can generally sneak by them. So I snaked my way through the warehouses and found a sleeping Queen, but I fucked up and woke her up. Didn't see any way around it, really. But the good news is that I don't think gunfire wakes up Drones in stasis because I passed like ten of them on the way in and not a one showed up to help the Queen. In fact, the only help the Queen got was a couple facehuggers and one Drone I woke up while positioning for the fight.

And it was a huge deal that I'd done all that sneaking because now the Hive activity was way low. A couple good placements of flames walls, suppression fire, plus a blast each of shotgun and grenade kept the Queen back far enough that she didn't even punch through the armor on my Marines before going down. That situation should've gone so badly, but it ended up being really clean despite having nothing set up for the fight.

I'm finding that knowing when to pack it up and withdraw is probably the most essential skill in the game. Had a mission run something like an hour and ended up with two walking survivors trailing me and that was it, time to pack up and call it a win. Next run found a survivor almost right away but we had to carry him, which made things tight because a fair bit of combat was involved. Fortunately, it was combat I could prep for and I had mines and turrets which greatly eased things. Ended up with one Wounded Marine, but no permanent damage. Then all of that led up to a third mission with the Queen fight, after which the mission was completed.

Each time, if I'd pushed just one step further in the mission I would've been pretty hosed. Instead, all the Marines got to walk out under their own power without losing survivors and no major stress events piled on either. Just hoping the creeping Planetary Infestation isn't going to get away from me; I'm up to Level 3 on that and nothing seems bad yet, but you never know.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    I've had some pretty brutal wipes on my side, didn't get the mines yet focused on other things. Things. But when I wipe it reloads, so I've had some good learning experiences let's say. I agree with the prior poster when he says that knowing when to withdraw is a really critical skill. Really enjoying the game

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Aliens Long War when?

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    So one thing to be aware of if it feels like your squad special commands aren't very effective: special commands effects for attacks are not instant. By that, I mean that if you want to put a grenade in a spot, the Marine that fires has a brief startup animation. This means that enemies have a brief moment to move out of the impact area. Same deal with shotgun blasts, incinerators, etc.

Wouldn't be a big deal except virtually all enemies are fast enough to run up and attack in melee while taking fire, plus some can dodge sideways a fair distance. So when issuing those squad commands, make sure your placing the target area some distance AHEAD of the target. It really stinks to think you'll be setting up a great flame wall and then end up with six drones running right past where it WILL be in about a second.

• Options
    A question about the shotgun blast cone... The outer cone is blue, and the inner is red. What does that mean? Red is most effective range?

• Options
    A question about the shotgun blast cone... The outer cone is blue, and the inner is red. What does that mean? Red is most effective range?

Yeah, certain abilities have ranges listed in the attack details. I don't think range matters except for the cone. In other words, five enemies in the blue blast radius of the grenade can take between the minimum and maximum listed damage in that zone, regardless of how close they actually are to the center. This means that the red zone for the shotgun puts the damage floor at the blue range maximum, but that red range is so close that a kill is probably gonna spray somebody with acid.

But still something good to know when you want the attack damage more than the interrupt effect.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Ah, thanks Ninja.

Dark Descent kinda reminds me of this really fun old flash game based off of an Aliens boardgame. It featured all the major action sequences of the film, like the Hive and Operations. It was turnbased, with the Marines and Ripley or Newt, depending on the lvl. Anyone remember it? This is it
    https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    Finally got around to trying Dark Descent.

Wow. They managed to make a tactics game that's as tense as an Alien movie. That's a feat all in itself. I think the real time aspect has a lot to do with that - you could make it turn based, real time makes you think faster and play more carfully.

At this point, with the long rumoured Alien Isolation sequel coming, the Alien franchise has moved to video games if they don't stop shitting out Prometheus movies.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    -Loki- wrote: »

Wow. They managed to make a tactics game that's as tense as an Alien movie. That's a feat all in itself. I think the real time aspect has a lot to do with that - you could make it turn based, real time makes you think faster and play more carfully.

At this point, with the long rumoured Alien Isolation sequel coming, the Alien franchise has moved to video games if they don't stop shitting out Prometheus movies.

Real time makes me shut down and let terrible things happen, to be honest.

Playing through Tyranny has reinforced that I don't even do real time with pause anymore. I need the turn prompt to evaluate the situation and make a decision.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure where to ask this and I've been searching, but do we have a general Civilisation/4x game thread?

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I've only ever seen the Stellaris and Crusader Kings threads pop up.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Thats a shame. Thanks!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I gotta say, I'm impressed with how they keep missions balanced on a knife-edge without just destroying you for one mistake.

Had an mission going down that I expected to be nasty, so I kitted up with extra armor and embryo extraction gear. Go down the elevator and yeah, there's a lot of space to cover down here plus a new Elite alien type. Couple minor slips in the first half of the mission, nothing terrible and I clear the stress with a rest. Second half gets more intense, with a surprise clusters of eggs we gun down with no losses, some stubborn enemies that fortunately isolated enough to drop quickly. Make good use of the Recon class and save myself a couple Hunts, but a couple Hunts still happen. Pushing the upper end of first level of stress when I step into a room with a lot of Drones and eggs. Like 6-8 drones on patrol and in stasis, plus a half-dozen eggs spread around.

My plan was to get a footing, knock out a couple patrols silently, and see where that got me. I was hiding in cover just inside the room so I could get a shot off at a drone that wandered close... except it didn't just wander close, it wander all the way behind the cover. No hiding from there. Take it down and sure enough, a Hunt fires off. Everything in the room comes down on me, but spaced out just far enough to get dropped one at a time. We're pinging into the second stress level at this point with plenty of level left, so I decide to call it.

The game, however, decides it's time for a Massive Onslaught for I go twenty feet. I get maybe 20 seconds before the swarm is gonna hit and has to slap down a defensive line fast. Fortunately, I have a whole pile of turrets to use. Throw up a line of those, duck behind them at the end of a hall, and toss out a flame wall just as the xenos start pouring in. It was a tight thing, but fortunately it was all low-level stuff and it all got gunned down, no problem. Pack up the gear and ruuuun for the elevator because I'm on the razor's edge of having an Elite spawn and I've got a couple Marines that are patched up but are gonna need some extensive medical attention. That extra armor point I paid for absolutely saved me some hassle.

Make our way out and yeah, one Marine due for four days of treatment and another due for five. Plus two Marines picking up a Trauma each. But a great mission overall because even though the end was rough, it felt fair. What happened to drop everything in the shit was because I got greedy and impatient and I could've just as easily waited outside the room for the one plan-killing drone to walk away far enough to snipe. But hey, everybody walked out under their own power and nobody left a limb behind, so I'm calling it a big win. But the smart win would've been to just walk it out once I hit that room full of ugly instead of trying to push through.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    First boss battle.. Almost got em! I, uh..got stomped though. Next time I'll have more sentry guns...next time.

Noneoftheabove on
  • Options
    It's amazing how much of a swing it can make when you can slot 5-10 seconds to set up turrets.

• Options

Playing through Tyranny has reinforced that I don't even do real time with pause anymore. I need the turn prompt to evaluate the situation and make a decision.

Yeah, but honestly? Thats Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQHPZrnbPk

• Options

Yeah, but honestly? Thats Aliens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrQHPZrnbPk

Which is fine! It just guarantees that I will never play the Aliens game. One of my favorite movies, but no interest in real time tactical.