As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I love the chosen personally.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    It's incentive to kill them quickly!

• Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been brought up in this thread at some point, but Jagged Alliance is getting its third official installment soon. Seems it's been highly anticipated but that it's maybe a bit more XCOM like than previous iterations.

I was looking at some early hype for that. The originals never caught me.

What??? Jagged Alliance 2 is one of the greatest squad strategy games ever!!!

It's OK though. It's all good. :)

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Watched a stream for Jagged Alliance 3 and it’s high on my priority list.

It’s like The Expendables Tactics but like, done well.

Steroid is Duke Nukem played by a bad schwarzenegger impersonator. It’s gloriously bad.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    To this day when I get a cut I still go "immah bleeding faster than I can lick it up" after I tried a low money doofus run in JA2. There sure are some personalities in that game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    haha yes, Gasket, Razor, Biff, Flo, and Dimitri - the A team.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    “Every day in every way, I get better and better.”

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters looks like it's getting a second DLC. A new update was announced, but then a bunch of hidden achievements were added on Steam and now a teaser has been released showing the Officio Assassinorun seal.
    https://youtu.be/9JMsRzE-9iI

I'm guessing some sort of covert ops mechanic, possibly assassin class(es). If the patch doesn't fix the soft locks that are two saves on me I'm not buying the DLC though.

Hevach on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Curious if it adds some other daemons. They've got some Khorne already in game. Nurgle gets boring.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    The Daemonhunters devs are not very communicative; I'm glad they're still making DLC and will be getting this, but they could stand to hype their shit a little more.

I never actually did much with the techmarine.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    JA3 is really quite good. I'm also excited to see what the mod community does with it.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
    edited July 2023
    The Daemonhunters devs are not very communicative; I'm glad they're still making DLC and will be getting this, but they could stand to hype their shit a little more.

I never actually did much with the techmarine.

I didn't much care for the tech marine myself. It was kind of neat the variety of abilities it could use through the servitors but it can only make limited use of any of them and it was very immobile, way more than the purgator, and I already felt like the purgator couldn't keep up with the melee classes just blazing through groups.

Also, it unlocked gear tiers as you do the missions with Lunette, and by the time I got access to tier 2 gear for it I was already swimming in tier 3 loot for everyone else. I had a constant surplus of archaeotech and nothing to spend it on.

Hevach on
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I'd have been more interested in playing Daemonhunters a second or more times if they didn't nerf a bunch of stuff constantly after release. Plus with how repetitive things felt by the end of my first go around I don't think I would have gotten a lot more out of it at that point. It was good enough for the price of entry though; no regrets there.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    I'm glad to hear that JA 3 is looking positive. IIRC there were two previous attempts at restarting the Jagged Alliance series and they were both crap. I'll probably pick it up at some point, but in the meantime I have JA 1 and Deadly Games to play though.

edited July 2023
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Curious if it adds some other daemons. They've got some Khorne already in game. Nurgle gets boring.
    https://youtu.be/aBjLslJJpXI
    https://youtu.be/L3iFCF81Hlo

Second and third teasers seem to answer this: the Officio has decided the Inquisition is too slow and is sending assassins to eradicate the garden. So, more Nurgle but also assassins.

Hopefully some kind of meaningful covert/stealth system (you don't really do stealth with 9 foot tall psychic giants wearing two tons of nuclear powered Iron Man armor)...

But I'm a little worried this is just a paid solution to the new enemy type added in the free update: the Tainted Sons, special groups of units which all have very high health, but start with low damage, low defense, and low armor... But mutate and heal as they're hit, so if you don't splatter them they'll spiral out of control quickly. Baseline humans who can destroy a superior target but can't sustain the kind of attritional battle the game is based on would be a direct counter to enemies that are built to subvert that same attrition.

Hevach on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    I'm coming off a long period of fairly intense xcom playing. I've had a lot of fun despite not finishing any of my campaigns.

The Long War modpack - XCOM: Enemy Unknown (2012)

This was probably the worst experience among all the campaigns I started. I like a bunch of the design decisions they made (more class variety, no forced choice of which missions to take), but ultimately the game was just too punishing and grindy. The mission that broke me had my squad with laser weapons and basic armor face down a pack with 4 berserkers and 4 muton warriors. Even save scumming I could only take down three of the berserkers, after which the fourth killed one of my soldiers and the untouched muton warriors gibbed two more despite them being in heavy cover. Clearly I shouldn't have gone on the mission, considering it was more or less mathematically impossible for me to win it, but I already felt like I was falling way behind on the strategic layer.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (1994) using OpenXcom

I'm astonished at how well this game held up. It can be brutally punishing at times, but unlike the Long War I actually felt like I had the ability to bounce back and rebuild from even the worst losses. It's also the closest I came to finishing a campaign, I was on the very last mission when my attention was stolen by the modpacks below.

The X-Com Files modpack - XCOM: Enemy Unknown (1994) using OpenXcom

I had a lot of fun with this modpack, but goddamn is it a marathon. I really liked the early game, the difficulty of the missions is all over the place but in a way that actually fits the theme. You're playing the precursor organization to XCOM as it struggles to gather the resources and knowledge needed to face the coming alien threat. At the start you're limited to sending out two agents with suits and pistols in a regular car. If they're lucky they might encounter a crazy farmer claiming they've been abducted by aliens. If they're unlucky they'll be torn apart by a werewolf on the first turn. Eventually you unlock proper hardware and vehicles, but you also get undercover missions where your agents dress as surfers to face down gangers on the beach or fight ninjas with sports rifles in a ski resort. Unfortunately my campaign became a painful slog in the mid game. Most of my missions at that point were against large numbers of well-armed humans on large maps with lots of buildings. When you're lucky those missions involve slowly crawling across the map and clearing the buildings room by room, when you're unlucky you start surrounded on all sides and lose half your squad on the first turn.

XPiratez modpack - XCOM: Enemy Unknown (1994) using OpenXcom

This modpack is a bit... problematic, but also the most fun I've had with any XCOM game. It has a LOT of frivolous nudity and some truly strange world building, including actual ww2 nazis being one of the main enemy factions and having dozens of technologies that involve slavery. However, if you're able to stomach the smut and edgyness there's actually a really solid game behind it all, along with some quite creative lore. You start out with a small group of female "Ubers", which are basically supermutants from Fallout that look like ripped supermodels. The setting is basically an alt universe future earth, where aliens have long since conquered the planet and integrated it into their empire. Rather than saving the earth, you spend most of the game scraping by through piracy and petty theft, too weak to be a threat to the real power players but a useful tool to the many minor factions they rule over. There's an impressive number of ways to specialize your pirate gang, including tons of different soldier types and way too many kinds of weapons and ships. I could talk for ages about the many interesting design choices that make the experience unique, but it's certainly not without flaws and can be an even worse slog than the X-Com Files at times.

XCOM 2 with WotC

I remember not liking this when I first tried it, but it's pretty fun! Not fun enough for me to get more than half way through the campaign though, unfortunately.

Vic on
    https://youtu.be/xysOhHSW46g

And it's confirmed: DLC is Execution Force. Four new classes with unique mechanics based on the temples of the Officio Assassinorum, usable in any mission but you can only have one of each (in lore, assassins work alone except when the grand master decrees that somebody has to be made super dead, in which case an execution force consisting of one assassin from each temple is deployed).

All four new classes have mechanics that subvert the usually attritional grind combat the Grey Knights use, which seems to confirm my suspicion that that the free update was creating a problem the paid DLC solves.

Also a new side campaign to clutter the map with (my biggest complaint with Duty Eternal is that the multiple mission cycles meant it was frustrating to keep up with the whack-a-mole game on the sector map), and boarding actions between the Baleful Edict and Death Guard ships are now playable missions instead of a dice roll in the menu system.

Overall... Sounds pretty good for the price tag, but I am somewhat miffed that they again put the challenge in the free patch and the counter in the DLC.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/xysOhHSW46g

And it's confirmed: DLC is Execution Force. Four new classes with unique mechanics based on the temples of the Officio Assassinorum, usable in any mission but you can only have one of each (in lore, assassins work alone except when the grand master decrees that somebody has to be made super dead, in which case an execution force consisting of one assassin from each temple is deployed).

All four new classes have mechanics that subvert the usually attritional grind combat the Grey Knights use, which seems to confirm my suspicion that that the free update was creating a problem the paid DLC solves.

Also a new side campaign to clutter the map with (my biggest complaint with Duty Eternal is that the multiple mission cycles meant it was frustrating to keep up with the whack-a-mole game on the sector map), and boarding actions between the Baleful Edict and Death Guard ships are now playable missions instead of a dice roll in the menu system.

Overall... Sounds pretty good for the price tag, but I am somewhat miffed that they again put the challenge in the free patch and the counter in the DLC.

That does sound a little unscrupulous. If I recall, the devs used to do freemium mobile games; maybe they can't help themselves even though they're not doing microtransactons.

Okay I was wrong about Jagged Alliance 3.

it's not The Expendables Tactics.

The way you get to sneak people into advantageous spots, set up overwatch lines while hidden (and they stay hidden until they fire, and even then maybe still remain hidden), then loot parts and intel from everything before you leave, helping stop generic bad guys overthrowing a country...

Replace the 80's and 90's action stereotypes with a tacticool US spec ops team and you've got Ghost Recon Wildlands Tactics.

Xenonauts 2 has also just come out and is quite good. If you enjoyed Xenonauts (or OG Xcom) you'll enjoy this.

Protip: The Geneva Convention does not apply to aliens. So do what you will with that.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Xenonauts 2 looked interesting from the videos I've watched, though maybe a bit too retro for me.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    Xenonauts 2 has also just come out and is quite good. If you enjoyed Xenonauts (or OG Xcom) you'll enjoy this.

Protip: The Geneva Convention does not apply to aliens. So do what you will with that.

It's in early access note

Phoenix-D wrote: »

It's in early access note

Eh, eeeeh, I mean yeah kind of. It is has everything Xenonauts 1 has + QoL + more stuff. The EA part is just even more-er stuff.

edited July 2023
    Man, Jagged Alliance 3 is the first tactics game in a long time that's got its hooks in me like this. The overworld managment is interesting and so far without a doomsday timer, the buffs and debuffs from things like morale and being tired are really impactful beyond just 'you miss more', weapon modifying seems to actually make a significant impact, and the fights themselves are real fun.

Glad I didn't sit on this one.

-Loki- on
    Random JA3 observations and comments;

I've had to make some surprisingly tough moral choices.

Machine guns are hilariously good.

Don't discount Pistols, they can do some serious work.

Ammo is my biggest constraint at the moment and totally dictates what weapons I'm using.

Modifying weapons can really make a difference. It's not just a general performance increase, but instead allows you to tailor a weapon for a specific role. You might have two of the same weapon but have them built for two different missions.

Tutorial Island can get attacked and I genuinely didn't think it could. Lesson learned.

Loads and loads of side quests!

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I gave Xenonauts 2 a shot and the second mission I got I had to get the data off 10 computers in an office park, with infinite enemy reinforcements. That's too many computers.

Coinage wrote: »
    I gave Xenonauts 2 a shot and the second mission I got I had to get the data off 10 computers in an office park, with infinite enemy reinforcements. That's too many computers.

Those missions are a smash and grab. Get in, grab what you can and get out. You're not required or even necessarily expected to get the full amount.

• ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    edited July 2023
    Coinage wrote: »

Those missions are a smash and grab. Get in, grab what you can and get out. You're not required or even necessarily expected to get the full amount.

also, I asked the devs and they said that difficulty options are coming to turn off mission timer/infinite enemy spam.
    Timed Missions:
    Although many people enjoy the new timed missions in Xenonauts 2, there's also a sizable group who very much dislike the concept. We are going to be adding campaign options that allow you to adjust these timers, allowing people who enjoy the missions to tweak the timings to their own preferences and those who dislike them to remove the time pressure entirely (e.g. by increasing them to 99 turns).

Again, this was originally planned for later in development but based on player feedback we have decided to bring it forwards. Of course, we'll also be continuing to balance and improve these missions throughout Early Access - so hopefully far fewer people will want to skip them in the final game anyway!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/538030/view/3686809962252259835

but yeah I had the same issue, you basically just have to rush it currently then get out. which I'm not a fan of since I prefer to clear the map of enemies and explore, which infinite enemy spawn timer strongly discourages

Zavian on
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I feel like I should give Xenonauts another shot some time. I never really gave it a fair shake before, since the overwhelming first impression of it was "XCOM but for people who were mad that Firaxis made a fun game."

Xenonauts is OG XCOM. Firaxis XCOM is Michael Bay Present's XCOM. Both I really enjoy, but both are very different.

OG XCOM and Xenonauts is brutal, grinding warfare of a style that would make Zhukov proud. Completely leveling an entire map and killing aliens and civilians alike is a perfectly valid strategy and possibly the smart move. Grenade launchers are a viable primary weapon.

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    If it helps I immediately gave up on 1 but I probably would have kept playing 2 last night if I hadn't gotten mad reading the mission objectives. I'm not sold on fussiness of TUs with 9 dumbasses and it would be nice if there were like any animations though.

edited July 2023
    Now that I 've got a better handle on JA3 I restarted my campaign and I did the tutorial island in way less time than before, my final takedown on the fortress having a modified FAMAS and silenced GEWERs on my snipers, and I've got about 15k more money than I did before thanks to finding way more hackable items.

This fucken game.

Edit - I have now started ripping through the mainland. I have knocked over the closest diamond mine and the outpost that gave me grief yesterday.

Fighting while tired makes shit hard. Remember to rest before a fight.

-Loki- on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Now that I 've got a better handle on JA3 I restarted my campaign and I did the tutorial island in way less time than before, my final takedown on the fortress having a modified FAMAS and silenced GEWERs on my snipers, and I've got about 15k more money than I did before thanks to finding way more hackable items.

This fucken game.

Edit - I have now started ripping through the mainland. I have knocked over the closest diamond mine and the outpost that gave me grief yesterday.

Fighting while tired makes shit hard. Remember to rest before a fight.

oh and don't rob that mass grave

robbing that mass grave is real bad news

JA3 you are a rat-dicked sumbitch. I still love you, but fuck you.

Who could have ever foreseen that a conflict in a (presumed) West African nation plagued by infighting and Corporate Colonialism could ever turn out to be so fucking messy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFeVfwDvTyM

In other news; I didn't notice this until recently but the in game year is 2001. Which explains how some JA2 (and maybe JA1?) people show up. JA2 was 1998-99 IIRC.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I'm finding JA3 to be just janky as fuck, to be honest.

The lack of a pause for realtime is a major fucking pain in the ass, I should never have to be fumbling through characters and commands to launch literally one silenced attack from concealment before an enemy can find us. And the lack of ammo is some tremendous fucking bullshit. I should not be having to stop for days of crafting to get enough NATO or Warsaw Pact ammo for the team. Every enemy sporting a rifle should have a couple spare mags on them, and are you serious that an NPC with the title "Ammo Merchant" won't fucking sell me ammo?

The edges here feel extremely rough and there are some decidedly poor design decisions.

It’s definitely janky, but nothing so far has made the game feel bad for me.

I’ve only been caught twice in real time exploration. The first was before I saw the Hide button, the second was because I didn’t pay attention to patrol routes and had someone right in a guards path.

So far it’s been a pretty fun addition to the turn based gameplay - I can sneak my guys all into position so when the shit hits the fan they’re all ready to go. You need to pay close attention while doing it though,

There is a Pause Mod though the creator does say it may crash your game if used in certain situations. Being able to pause during real-time should totally be in the game. Hopefully they do add it.

Also in the Options under Gameplay is a list of situations the game will autopause when on the Strategic Layer. The one that says something about pausing when squad move orders are issued is one you might want to have on. With it on you can have two (or more) squads assault the same objective in a coordinated strike. Super handy.

Also, also Diamond Mines can run dry. I do not like this. Luckily there is a mod for that.

Oohh I’ll grab the mine mod.

I also use the mod that displays the percentage chance to hit because they totally should not be hidden.

I actually like not having percentages displayed because percentages are bullshit anyway. I don't get angry at missing a 90% chance to hit if I don't know its 90%.

I prefer seeing that list of bonuses and penalties for each shot. It feels, to me at least, much less arbitrary.

-Headshot
    -Night
    -Fog
    -Distance
    +Marksmanship

Okay, probably not gonna hit and I know exactly why. . . but if it does!

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Not having the percentages is, I feel, a near-fatal flaw of the game. First off, it makes learning what the mercs say a trial-and-error situation. They can easily miss on a "certain to hit" comment or hit on a "no chance" comment, and I have no clue what the fuck I'm changing that changes the odds so dramatically. It also obscures the fact that it's virtually always better to focus on high-accuracy headshots rather than using any kind of burst fire, which means you blow loooots of ammo and soaking a bunch of damage figuring that out. That feature alone had me restart the game three times simply because of various issues caused largely by not knowing what the fuck the odds were of different attacks landing.

Plus, I have no clue what negative or positive modifiers are doing, or how much much they're doing. Is night a -20 modifier? -5? -50 at long range? How bad is rain? Or sandstorms? Should I just be running up to enemies and trying to hit them point-blank under those circumstances? And the early game, you do not have enough margin for error to tank the damage until you vaguely figure these things out. Apparently elevation with cover is essentially god mode and being below the enemy is suicidal.

Knowing this stuff the game hides from you is the difference between getting to the mainland with barely enough money for a single cycle of rehiring mercs and getting to the closest mainland diamond mine with $50k+ in your pocket in time to take the mine and then also intercept a diamond convoy for a bonus $15k.