As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Question. Is there a way to play one or maybe one of the latest XCOM games in co-op, as in taking on the aliens in a team with a friend?

Full-disclosure. I have not played an XCOM games since it strayed and you fought under sea creatures.
    To the best of my knowledge, none of the xcoms support co-op - however, you can kind of get a a similar effect using a program called Parsec. This allows you shared control of the inputs to a game, so you could take turns with a friend. But it's not like co-op, you'd just be going back and forth in single player.

Thank you - I feared as much.

I will check out Parsec, but it doesn't sound like it will fill the need.

Divinity: Original Sin and its sequel) might work. The first one offers 2 player coop; the sequel supports 4 player coop. They've got turn-based, sort-of-D&D combat with some use of the environment.

Baldur's Gate 3 also has co-op in that same vein for up to 4 players.

WarTales also added co-op that I have never tried. It's basically a low-fantasy mercenary company simulator. More traditionally grid-like than DOS or BG3.

None of those have XCOM shooty bits though. Unless you count bows and arrows or crossbows.

And by some use of the environment, that means basically everything in the environment is highly flammable, filled with poisonous gas, and/or on fire.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/u9JwH18jWzc?si=e0Dlu8a81wFI-S9f

Upcoming game Menace comes from the Battle Brothers devs, so my first question was: is it also No Girls Allowed?

Thankfully, there are at least female squad leaders and pilots, though I'm not certain about line soldiers. The squad leaders seem to be defined characters instead of randomized, which I'm not a fan of, but there are at least a lot of them, so you probably won't be dealing with the same crew every game.

Looks interesting; I'll follow the development.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I love battle brothers but the writing was often kind of edgelordy in a way that was distracting

For example, the background “refugee” mentions that refugees are used to traveling long distances but “lack the will to fight for their homes” which uh

Seems like a slight misunderstanding of what makes people refugees

And when you did interact with female characters they were generally whores or evil seductive witches. Didn’t ruin the game by any stretch but it wasn’t my favorite part about it

Menace looks rad though! The female officers they featured looked interesting

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I love battle brothers but the writing was often kind of edgelordy in a way that was distracting

For example, the background “refugee” mentions that refugees are used to traveling long distances but “lack the will to fight for their homes” which uh

And when you did interact with female characters they were generally whores or evil seductive witches. Didn’t ruin the game by any stretch but it wasn’t my favorite part about it

Big Oof for both of those things. Yikes

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG

Never got Battle Brothers because I don't want to even engage with that level of sexism, but if they learned their lesson I'll get Menace, because it looks quite XCOM.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    It wasn’t a huge part of the game tbh but it definitely took me out of it

It wasn’t a huge part of the game tbh but it definitely took me out of it

Ever since I was a kid I've preferred games with female protagonists (mom was a second wave feminist), so when presented with the option, I choose the game that includes them.

The Battle Brothers devs claiming that women never fought during the depicted time period ignores the fact that women have always fought in one capacity or another, and even if they didn't, the benefits of including them in your escapist fantasy game far outweigh the benefits to "realism" for excluding them.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    I picked Jagged Alliance back up and restarted my campaign, and there’s now an option on campaign start to turn on tactical pause, which lets you pause and queue actions in real time sections of the game.

IIRC someone in here was saying the game needed that.

Also it's getting a console release but unfortunately not for Switch. I mean, I get it - this game struggles at times 1440p on my 5800x and 6800xt so the Switch would need serious work. Hopefully when the Switch 2 is released.

Also they've added better ballistics. Rounds can penetrate enemies and hit enemies/friendlies behind them, ricochets are modeled and can hit targets too. Shots that miss the targeted body part have a chance of hitting a different body part.

They've been putting in a lot of support effort. I'm surprised.

-Loki- on
    Needed a break from Wrath of the Righteous so I've gone back to Daemonhunters after getting the Assassins DLC. Actually giving the techmarine a chance as well.

Had to stop using the ironman mode because either I'm very rusty or the AI has improved quite a bit.

I started with the sniper assassin; he bit it in a technophage outbreak; I then got a shapeshifting sabotage expert lady, and she frankly rocks. She pops her disguise, walks up to chaos cultists and is all, "hello, fellow mutants." Then she disables their guns and AoOs them when they walk away without breaking her cover. "Oh jeez, sorry Toby, I was not being careful with my monofilament dagger. My bad..."

Anyway. Stuff. Things.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I caught a stream of Marbozir playing, using this Mod Jam mod that goes over the LWotC mod. It's kinda piqued my curiosity. If it makes it a bit less of a slog that'd be great.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Mod jam mod?

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I just reinstalled this the other day. Starting fresh. I hadn’t beaten the game after the DLC so I’ll get to spend some time with Commander Riker, Deanna Troy, and Worf. I do need to figure out what to name my soldiers. I like to use pop culture and historical figures. My last run was current (at the time) and past Supreme Court justices.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    I just reinstalled this the other day. Starting fresh. I hadn’t beaten the game after the DLC so I’ll get to spend some time with Commander Riker, Deanna Troy, and Worf. I do need to figure out what to name my soldiers. I like to use pop culture and historical figures. My last run was current (at the time) and past Supreme Court justices.

I would have whole sessions of just making soldiers. In addition to friends and family, I used a lot of Moorcock's Eternal Champions, my tabletop RPG characters, and other slightly obscure but cool figures.

I find myself naming my crew after anime characters, like in HBS Battletech I'm always The Straw Hat Pirates (complete with customized logo).

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'll do 21st century pop stars.

Lady Gaga droppin 'nades on aliens. Taylor Swift slaying with a sword.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    Okay, this Mod Jam Long War of the Chosen is pretty fun. I don't even know how many classes there are but dang.

Finished Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate: Daemonhunters with the two DLC for the first time.

Game is still really solid. I did have a couple of soft locks and one full crash, but they weren't run-enders like on first release.

Of the four assassins, Callidus is the best for being able to shapechange into a zombie and wander around screwing with the enemy. I got the bodyglove that lets you use three servo skulls at once, and the fuckery just never ends. I would snag any seeds with Extractor, Purge skull any enemy to get rid of their +Resistance mutations and set them on fire, followed finally by Hailer to distract enemies with presumably the Emperor's holy word while ponytail murder lady scoots away.

Culexus comes next for being able to close enemy portals, which costs permanent mission Willpower, but, like, it basically murders a whole spawn every time you can get her to the portal in time.

Vindicare has some fun elements, but is basically just a glass cannon who is really good on some missions (his crit vulnerability debuff let me ice a Reaper in one round when paired with a firing line of purgators.

Eversor was my least favorite. I'm sure you can do some crazy stuff with their combat drugs but it seemed too fiddly, and he has an ability that costs max HP per round you use it, so if you forget to turn it off he just gets more and more fragile.

I also got two techmarines to max level, and had fun figuring out how to maximize their servitor use. Best servitor is the plasma gun guy; doesn't do that much damage but it's basically a free grenade each round for knocking dudes off ledges.

The dreadnaught is fun, though annoyingly you have to spend his skill points on lascannon before you get to melta and doomglove before you get to the glaive, but you can't use the upgraded guns and melee at the same time, so it feels like you waste points. That said, I switched from melta to lascannon in a mission to good effect. If I ever play again I'll probably switch to missiles instead of a melee weapon because boom boom boom.

The new mission types are interesting. The sacred servitor mission added by the techmarine DLC also adds Imperial Guard guys protecting the servitors. They're mostly useless except for absorbing a couple hits each, but occasionally they take out a weakened demon or plague marine and you can bet I was cheering for them. This mission is really long because it lasts for a certain number of spawns, one per 2 turns or so, and they're spread out among three defensive areas, making it difficult to keep every area staffed with Grey Knights (my interceptor worked overtime teleporting between hot spots). While it's a big map, if you have the Culexus assassin close enough to a portal you can definitely screw with the mission balance, though.

The Tentarus Hive mission added by the Execution Force DLC is very obnoxious if you don't have resistance gear, since once per round it hits a wide area centered around your most characters with a Plague effect, meaning you just get worn down over time. The glorious deed for these is doing it without healing, and that seems impossible until you get armor or passive gear with +Resistance. This is another long map, as you have to kill five nodes before you can destroy the central hive. The best way to do this is to bring Callidus and have her sneak around the opposite direction from your knights killing nodes solo while the chonky bois do their thing on the other side of the map.

There was one change to the final battle (other than the new enemies, of which there are quite a few extra Nurgle spawn):
    The Venerable Dreadnaught joins the final battle in the rear guard, making that part considerably easier (though Callidus also helped considerably by conducting asymmetric operations behind enemy lines). I only had a handful of stragglers get past the firing line, and most of them were crazed or on fire or both. With few distractions, the vanguard burned down Morty in record time.

I'm going to uninstall shortly to make room for Rogue Trader, as that will sate my turn-based 40K urges. I'll miss my ridiculously overpowered knights, though.

Oh I forgot about Rogue Trader. I wonder how good/bad it'll be. Daemonhunters was just a one and done for me. Worth the price of admission but I wasn't terribly thrilled with the balance changes that were coming out while I was playing through the campaign and no way to respec your dudes. My friend really wants me to play through Mechanicus so I might do that during Christmas vacation.

Mod Jam for LWOTC has been amazingly fun. I think it helps balance out a bit of the rougher edges that pure LWOTC has and having like 40+ different classes/aliens/mec troopers to use is just really darn fun. Plus there's all the new ADVENT units and research. I can see this just being the game I continue to go back to over the years.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Tentarus missions were the fucking worst. Boarding missions were rough, because you could win and still get a worse strategic outcome than just handling it in the event menu, but Tentarus were just a fucking slog.

Eversor are basically marine killers. Their bleed based combo thing is super fiddly, but can take out those crazy elite armored plaguemarines in one go, sometimes 2-3 of them in a turn. They don't do so well against anything else. If it can't bleed they can't get rolling, stuff like beasts of Nurgle and warpspawn can fizzle them out easily.

Vindicare's on the box description makes them sound like they'd be good for that, too, but their instakill is on too long a cool down to do anything but remove a problem 1-2 times a mission. They're actually good against heavy units because they can take called shots at range and pare down their abilities before your melee marines are engaged.

edited November 2023
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Oh I forgot about Rogue Trader. I wonder how good/bad it'll be. Daemonhunters was just a one and done for me. Worth the price of admission but I wasn't terribly thrilled with the balance changes that were coming out while I was playing through the campaign and no way to respec your dudes. My friend really wants me to play through Mechanicus so I might do that during Christmas vacation.

Daemonhunters has two ways to respec now: the commune with fallen knights thing that almost nobody used, and now you can spend 2 requisition and send a knight on reassignment for 30 days to reallocate points. I did both this last game at various points to make full use of gear or not waste the starting points for librarians or chaplains.
    Hevach wrote: »
    Tentarus missions were the fucking worst. Boarding missions were rough, because you could win and still get a worse strategic outcome than just handling it in the event menu, but Tentarus were just a fucking slog.

Forgot about boarding missions! In almost every case it was flat better (+3 requisitions); only once or twice did it also result in losing gear or getting injured marines, but I feel like those were no-win situations where you end up with one of fhe story trio hurt otherwise.

I hated Tentarus missions until I got lots of resistance armor and a chaplain with the resist liturgy and warding lanterns or whatever they are at rank 3. Also the Callidus assassin with Silent Death.Then they were requisition piñatas I could complete in half time. Gate of Infinity helps, too.
    Eversor are basically marine killers. Their bleed based combo thing is super fiddly, but can take out those crazy elite armored plaguemarines in one go, sometimes 2-3 of them in a turn. They don't do so well against anything else. If it can't bleed they can't get rolling, stuff like beasts of Nurgle and warpspawn can fizzle them out easily.

Vindicare's on the box description makes them sound like they'd be good for that, too, but their instakill is on too long a cool down to do anything but remove a problem 1-2 times a mission. They're actually good against heavy units because they can take called shots at range and pare down their abilities before your melee marines are engaged.

I was a bit annoyed that the Vindicare organic instakill doesn't apply to even man-sized daemons, even though they look more organic than a Whole Foods fruit aisle.

I know there's a combo, butI just can't be bothered to mess with bleed effects when the name of the game is "kill everybody in one round whenever possible, and crowd control them with Hailer skulls when not." Burn effects are a little different since they seem to hit enemies twice per round walking through promethium.

Dracomicron on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    First DLC for Wartales has been announced.

They're taking a page from Pillars of Eternity and it's adding an archepelago and giving you your own pirate ship, with ship boarding actions, duels, and even a pirate 'leaderboard' to rank up as a pirate.

Also, going by one of the screenshots, a new animal enemy, some kind of huge lizard.

-Loki- on
    -Loki- wrote: »

They're taking a page from Pillars of Eternity and it's adding an archepelago and giving you your own pirate ship, with ship boarding actions, duels, and even a pirate 'leaderboard' to rank up as a pirate.

Also, going by one of the screenshots, a new animal enemy, some kind of huge lizard.

Well.

Did they say when it was coming out?

Because I'm not sure when I will have time for that, since I am working my way through Age of Wonders 4, have like three DLC in Wrath of the Righteous to do, and Rogue Trader comes out next week.

Well.

Because I'm not sure when I will have time for that, since I am working my way through Age of Wonders 4, have like three DLC in Wrath of the Righteous to do, and Rogue Trader comes out next week.

Two weeks - December 14th.

Well.

Two weeks - December 14th.

Ah, nuts. That's one for the back burner.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    Man I love xcom 2 , but I also fucking hate it from the bottom of my heart . But still love it . I think.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

My first run of XCOM 2012 was movie stars. I had a horrific mission where Angelina Jolie, Samuel Jackson, Christian Bale and Uma Thurman all died and the only survivor was Jackie Chan. Naturally Michelle Rodriguez, who dies in every single movie she's in, made it to the end.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I like the gameplay of Wartales but it really needed better writing/quest actions for the themes it was using

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

My first run of XCOM 2012 was movie stars. I had a horrific mission where Angelina Jolie, Samuel Jackson, Christian Bale and Uma Thurman all died and the only survivor was Jackie Chan. Naturally Michelle Rodriguez, who dies in every single movie she's in, made it to the end.

Every game I play I name everyone after people on my daily life.

Big shout out to Mrs. Abrams, my third grade teacher, who ended up a Colonel in the original XCOM UFO Defense.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    Man , reapers are so freaking busted in xcom 2 . Templars are also super strong . Skirmishers … are weird, like I see what they intended . Just don’t think the Swiss Army knife class works in a game dominated by alpha striking .

Man , reapers are so freaking busted in xcom 2 . Templars are also super strong . Skirmishers … are weird, like I see what they intended . Just don’t think the Swiss Army knife class works in a game dominated by alpha striking .

Skirmishers can be nuts if you get them good mods. Firing twice per round, baseline, doubles your chances of proccing a repeater.

I like using Skirmishers cause they’re cool hybrids.

But I also only play on normal difficulty so I don’t need to try to break the game.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I feel like Skirmishers were probably busted in testing but got nerfed heavily.

They have so many weird restrictions that just stops them from being good. Like an ability will be this close to being good then it works in a way that makes it not.

Dragkonias on
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I did not play XCOM2 for year and a half, so im playing it again, ignoring all newer titles from my backlog.

Trying Legendary Bronzeman (Iron Man not enabled, but I still do not reload save files) campaign with Covert Infiltration mod.

6 missions in, 3 soldiers dead for now. I am already sad.

I haven’t gotten to a point where I think I’m good enough for legendary. I feel ok on commander .

My favourite term for that is 'honestman'. No save scumming but the option is there if a mission bugs out.

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    Skirmishers don't have the same highs as the other ones, and nothing is as powerful as a reaper for the stealth alone. But being able to shoot twice in one turn and access to a free reposition is in itself very good early game, especially if you get a scope on them.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    I never felt like Skirmishers were that great, but on the other hand my Skirmisher killed all 3 of the Alien Rulers on their first appearance, directly thanks to the high repeater proc rate.
    Also the SectoidSectopod at the end of Shen's Last Wish.

With that kind of record, I'll accept underperforming the rest of the time.

edit: remember the names, me.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Everyones all like skirmishers suck and they always have the highest kills on my team and can slaughter shit I really need dead and can one turn a chosen so I dunno man. I don't think this min maxing theory shit yall like so much actually reflects real play.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    It also comes down to play styles and ease of play. Reapers are just bonkers good, and a lot of people like the sneaky sniper gameplay. Skirmishers are more like regular rangers with a few more tricks.