As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Eh, gamers will almost always pick the most boring way to play a game then complain that it's boring so I don't fault devs for trying to coax them out of their comfort zone a bit.

And the pod system is one of those things where sure it can be improved but there probably isn't also just some better system that would make everyone 100% happy. Probably would just have it's own set of problems to overcome.

The only problem I see in Chimera Squad is that it makes maps essentially smaller and removes the exploration or sneaking around aspects. But I can think of various ways to add those back in if you want to. I think in all respects it correctly sheds all the legacy xcom elements so it can perfect the squad based tactical combat aspect.

Also Phoenix Point seems to work fine mostly just having all enemies active on the map.

As far as Chimera Squad goes yeah I would have to see it at scale to say if it would work for a standard XCOM. Not only were the maps smaller the stages were also played in waves which while fun in its own right also takes away a lot of the tension of discovery.

I could see them adding that type of stuff as a mission type but not sure about the whole game.

My immediate thought is to simply move the discovery into a meta layer like Mechanicus. But I think you could also just integrate the stages more into a larger map. Which I think it kind of already does but you could emphasize it more.

Also you could just cheat more behind the scenes. Like you start a crashed UFO mission as normal but as soon as you trigger any of the patrolling packs all the other ones just dissappear. And then when the combat ends they respawn out of sight. Repeat until you reach an objective at the UFO door and switch to a breach stage.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    I'd say pods and timed objectives are very nicely designed in xcom actually, and almost every other solution similar games have tried has been clunkier and rewards less interesting play.

Gamers want to optimize all the choices out of games about choices...

As a huge xcom fan I still think gears tactics has the most elegant and well made tactics layer however (and basically no strategy layer). Its a shame theres no sequels or games trying to steal its stuff.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    I really appreciated that PP stopped your movement if you aggroed something. Really helped break up the monotony of slowly crawling through a map under over watch

This was a feature in Daemonhunters, too, and I loved it. If you agro a pod you halt movement where you are and restart your turn (unless you're already engaged, in which case they do their short move in phase and you finish your turn).

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    I'd say pods and timed objectives are very nicely designed in xcom actually, and almost every other solution similar games have tried has been clunkier and rewards less interesting play.

As a huge xcom fan I still think gears tactics has the most elegant and well made tactics layer however (and basically no strategy layer). Its a shame theres no sequels or games trying to steal its stuff.

Daemonhunters also lifts the Executions from Gears Tactics, giving every knight an extra action afterwards. It can be difficult to set up but very rewarding.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I never used any of the faction guys, I just prefer to have my own generic dudes. But I should do a run with the factions.

I am in the business of saving lives.

Daemonhunters also lifts the Executions from Gears Tactics, giving every knight an extra action afterwards. It can be difficult to set up but very rewarding.

Yeah and as a result it's a lot more combat puzzle like gears compared to xcoms calculated risks.

Daemonhunters is a lot clunkier than gears though. Its also like... Too much win more.

Yeah and as a result it's a lot more combat puzzle like gears compared to xcoms calculated risks.

Daemonhunters is a lot clunkier than gears though. Its also like... Too much win more.

The tactical layer is not as smooth as Gears, it's true. But there's also a hell of a lot more game there, not even counting the DLC (that Gears doesn't have).

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Eh, gamers will almost always pick the most boring way to play a game then complain that it's boring so I don't fault devs for trying to coax them out of their comfort zone a bit.

And the pod system is one of those things where sure it can be improved but there probably isn't also just some better system that would make everyone 100% happy. Probably would just have it's own set of problems to overcome.

Games are made to be won and nobody likes getting kicked in digital gonads because of a bad design element. It's up to developers to avoid those design elements, it's not up to players to enjoy the poor design in spite of itself.

I would consider Xenonauts considerably more unforgiving and attrition is a given, so a dumb mistake will typically only cost a rookie or something because you don't use officers to scout. Even if a high-ranking officer goes down, you've got half a dozen others to move up in rank and their performance is attached more to weapons than superhuman abilities so you can tank those losses. It doesn't take forever to train up a replacement, not to mention that losing one soldier off a team of a dozen or more hits a lot lighter than losing one of, at most, six soldiers. And because all enemies are active all the time, you never have to deal with an issue like multiple enemies suddenly getting to run into cover followed immediately by a full move and attack phase just because one soldier saw one member of a pod.

But there's zero fun in pushing a soldier one single square too far, kicking off a high-powered squad, and getting to watch helplessly as that soldier gets gunned down by focused fire because the enemies immediately get a turn next. What's the reliable way to deal with that? Play conservatively to force pods to face off against your team without support. That's how the devs designed the game, so that's how people play it.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I think there is a place for "fun is the overriding guiding principle of game design" but games that focus entirely on that with no consequences, no tension, and no moments of alternative emotion at all, tend to be one and dones that I usually only complete for the story and if they are entirely focused on that with nothing else I basically just find them deeply boring and check out.

All my favourite games bring out a wide spectrum of emotions in me, ranging from anger, determination, tension, fear, satisfaction, joy, and yes fun.

I have played the shit out of Xcom1 and 2, and my favourite Xcom is long war for 1. By like a million billion trillion more arbitrary score points. It is the best for me. I really should try out the long war of the chosen at some point.

Guess what happened when I tried out Chimera Squad with its "superior" lol design.
    jis0enayyc96.png

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Ah, but it does make me happy that despite how quiet as this thread and XCOM stuff in general has been, it takes so little for us to all crawl back out of the woodwork and start talking classes and builds and tactics again.

Sharpshooters suck! By the time they are decent you are already snowballing!

Think that’s my only xcom hot take other then the landed ufo missions in xcom EW were the best kinds of missions. There are only small ufos in 2

Hard disagree. Super early on they enable the maximally efficient reaper + squadsight overwatch engagement. Pre dlc I often kept a ranger in concealment just to enable that

Lightning hands + quick draw + their aim growth midway makes them ideal for picking off targets that didn't get finished off when you miss a crit/roll low

Plus their carried ammo affects the pistol as well, so stick bluescreen on them and they can just delete mechs, or set multiple enemies on fire, etc. Anything with a flat damage bonus helps them a lot more too because they shoot more. Always take the pistols damage breakthrough

They are a bit more of a late game powerhouse yes, a carry while you deal with them having to use a low damage weapon and waiting for their multiple shot abilities to come online, but the overwatch engagement alone usually justifies one slot

And nobody kills lost like pistol users, especially if you get that one resistance order

I think there is a place for "fun is the overriding guiding principle of game design" but games that focus entirely on that with no consequences, no tension, and no moments of alternative emotion at all, tend to be one and dones that I usually only complete for the story and if they are entirely focused on that with nothing else I basically just find them deeply boring and check out.

All my favourite games bring out a wide spectrum of emotions in me, ranging from anger, determination, tension, fear, satisfaction, joy, and yes fun.

I have played the shit out of Xcom1 and 2, and my favourite Xcom is long war for 1. By like a million billion trillion more arbitrary score points. It is the best for me. I really should try out the long war of the chosen at some point.

Guess what happened when I tried out Chimera Squad with its "superior" lol design.
    jis0enayyc96.png

Chimera Squad wasn't a "superior" design so much as it was a test of new game mechanics with a story attached. In that capacity it did pretty darn well, I think. I definitely think there's room for breach missions in XCOM 3.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2023

jis0enayyc96.png

Chimera Squad wasn't a "superior" design so much as it was a test of new game mechanics with a story attached. In that capacity it did pretty darn well, I think. I definitely think there's room for breach missions in XCOM 3.

Sure but that's not my point. The conversation is about pod placements, which Chimera Squad doesn't have (and was explicitly brought up as being a better design as a result), and my point that is it is the explicit lack of this particular unknown, highly risky and automatically tense mechanic that is a major factor in why I got bored. The breach design and story elements are fine, but if I cared about those I wouldn't just have 85 minutes.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2023

Games are made to be won and nobody likes getting kicked in digital gonads because of a bad design element. It's up to developers to avoid those design elements, it's not up to players to enjoy the poor design in spite of itself.

I would consider Xenonauts considerably more unforgiving and attrition is a given, so a dumb mistake will typically only cost a rookie or something because you don't use officers to scout. Even if a high-ranking officer goes down, you've got half a dozen others to move up in rank and their performance is attached more to weapons than superhuman abilities so you can tank those losses. It doesn't take forever to train up a replacement, not to mention that losing one soldier off a team of a dozen or more hits a lot lighter than losing one of, at most, six soldiers. And because all enemies are active all the time, you never have to deal with an issue like multiple enemies suddenly getting to run into cover followed immediately by a full move and attack phase just because one soldier saw one member of a pod.

But there's zero fun in pushing a soldier one single square too far, kicking off a high-powered squad, and getting to watch helplessly as that soldier gets gunned down by focused fire because the enemies immediately get a turn next. What's the reliable way to deal with that? Play conservatively to force pods to face off against your team without support. That's how the devs designed the game, so that's how people play it.

I think that is a difference of opinion thing cause I don't mind games being punishing if you mess up.

There are levels to it but I feel that as long as you have different difficulties to accommodate everyone it is fine.

I also like things not always going how you planned and you the player having to adjust on the fly instead of just using a one size fits all strategy from the start of the game until the end.

Sure you have a squad of superhuman badasses but you're going up against a force of alien beings who not only have greater numbers but are also technologically superior to you. So I think a bit of hardship is warranted.

Dragkonias on
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    If anyone wants to inject XCOM 2 WOTC with some new modded life, I recommend Covert Infiltration

Description:
    Complete overhaul of how the player approaches missions on the strategy layer, made with the intention of keeping compatibility with almost any other mod on the workshop. The main effect of this overhaul is an increase in the number of impactful decisions the player needs to make on the strategy layer.

Mission Deployment

Many missions now need to be 'infiltrated', meaning the squad and their equipment will be unavailable for a time before the mission is launched
    The longer the squad prepares before the mission, the more beneficial the mission's SitReps will become and the less likely a Chosen will show up
    Assault missions (missions which do not require infiltration) still exist and are mostly the same as vanilla, making the geoscape more varied and interesting
    An entirely new UI screen along with extensive changes to vanilla UI to support the new mechanics

Activity Chains

Most missions have been sorted into semi-randomized sequences of activities (assault, infiltration, or covert action) that we call activity chains
    Major rewards are usually granted after the last stage of a chain, but completing intermediary stages is also beneficial for XP and minor rewards
    Plan ahead to make the most out of your limited resources and keep the fire of resistance alive

Geoscape Changes

The default covert actions overview screen has been replaced by the new covert operations UI which allows you to view and manage both actions and infiltrations
    Mission opportunities come slow at first but can be increased by contacting new regions and building radio relays once the player is ready
    Avatar Facilities require more planning and preparation to unlock, making the Avatar Project more threatening
    ADVENT will dynamically target their retaliation strikes onto regions important to the Resistance's war effort, such as regions near Avatar Facilities or regions with radio relays

SitRep Changes

The most annoying SitReps have been removed with several new ones to compensate
    Increased the number and variety of SitReps that will spawn on non-infiltration missions

Covert Action Changes

XCOM is no longer limited to a single covert action at any given time
    Covert actions can be cancelled for an intel cost that ramps up the deeper the squad goes into enemy territory
    Risks will increase in severity as the aliens get stronger, but they can be mitigated or prevented by equipping the squad with better gear
    Covert actions and scanning sites have been completely rebalanced to make them more distinct from one another
    Several overpowered covert actions and scanning sites have been removed and others added in their place

Avenger Changes

The Resistance Ring is no longer required to run covert actions, and instead is required to assign resistance orders, with engineer slot bonuses related to them
    The Guerrilla Tactics School has two training slots and it can train soldiers beyond Squaddie level with the appropriate upgrades
    XCOM starts the game with 16 soldiers as well as an engineer and scientist to get that snowball rolling and mitigate bad RNG

Mission Changes

Completely new Operation Gatecrasher (default one was converted to a normal mission)
    Supply Extraction missions reworked with infinite reinforcements
    Ambushes can take place on maps other than the abandoned city

Asthariel on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Slight exaggeration perhaps, but the last couple times I have tried to replay either XCOM have basically gone the same. Play on hard because normal has become too easy. Get bored of the overwatch shuffle. Try to do anything else. Immediately regret it as two packs trigger and the team gets wrecked, triggering a campaign death spiral.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    edited December 2023
    You really should bring those orbs that show what's around it when you throw it, and throw it past the enemies you are fighting. You only need one or two for tricky situations where you need to move up, not every pack. The reaper can push around the side of the combat in most cases to check ahead anyway, they aren't doing anything useful in the starting pod fights most of the time.

Morninglord on
  • EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular
    You really should bring those orbs that show what's around it when you throw it, and throw it past the enemies you are fighting. You only need one or two for tricky situations where you need to move up, not every pack. The reaper can push around the side of the combat in most cases to check ahead anyway, they aren't doing anything useful in the starting pod fights most of the time.

Battle scanners or a reaper are essential for scouting ahead . Specialists also get the ability but it’s late .

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I think the only time I've ever wished I had a battle scanner on me is when there's buried Chryssalids

More dakka is always the answer. It's always the melee guys who trigger extra pods anyway. Can't trigger anything if you're dug in and shooting!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Phantom Rangers are another great scouting tool, and they get that perk fairly early. You'll only ever have one or two reapers at a time after all, and they'll get wounded or exhausted eventually, so I always have two or three phantoms alongside my reapers.

Ringo wrote: »
    I think the only time I've ever wished I had a battle scanner on me is when there's buried Chryssalids

More dakka is always the answer. It's always the melee guys who trigger extra pods anyway. Can't trigger anything if you're dug in and shooting!

This is a playstyle answer not a universal.

Yes and my playstyle is the best!

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    I always have grenades. Yes, they destroy loot, but when you've fucked up and pulled two packs, you can reduce them to one pack very quickly and prevent the fuckup from becoming a proper fuckup cascade.

• AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Aaaaand thats another Legendary Ironman modded campaign attempt abandoned, because I am always playing well, get overconfident, get some catastrophic failure during mission, and get discouraged by losing all of my favourite soldiers at the same time.

There is something wrong with my brain, because it is difficult for me to cope with failure in this game, I can stomach losing one or two soldiers every so often, but squad wipes kill me urge to continue the campaign.

Asthariel wrote: »
    Aaaaand thats another Legendary Ironman modded campaign attempt abandoned, because I am always playing well, get overconfident, get some catastrophic failure during mission, and get discouraged by losing all of my favourite soldiers at the same time.

There is something wrong with my brain, because it is difficult for me to cope with failure in this game, I can stomach losing one or two soldiers every so often, but squad wipes kill me urge to continue the campaign.

That's rough! It took me a long time to get into the habit of bugging out the minute things start going too sideways on Ironman.

edited December 2023

Nope. There's multiple equally valid playstyles in this game that can successfully and optimally beat the content.
    Hevach wrote: »
    I always have grenades. Yes, they destroy loot, but when you've fucked up and pulled two packs, you can reduce them to one pack very quickly and prevent the fuckup from becoming a proper fuckup cascade.

Bringing a single battlescanner does not prevent the rest of your group from bringing grenades, this is an argument against a point nobody made.

Especially when the scanner can prevent two pod fights in the first place.

Morninglord on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Between the ambush phase, Phantom Rangers, Reapers, The Battle Scanner and the Specialists ability to scan a large area you really aren't suffering for safe ways to gather recon.

Nope. There's multiple equally valid playstyles in this game that can successfully and optimally beat the content.

Bringing a single battlescanner does not prevent the rest of your group from bringing grenades, this is an argument against a point nobody made.

It's an argument against the point made twice that pulling two groups is basically an abandoned campaign.

And you aren't losing out in damage or area of effect ability to do so. A single grenade will not win or lose you a mission. A battlescanner can, especially a well placed one that reveals the sectopod before you run into it.

Asthariel wrote: »

I just stopped playing Iron Man. If it's not fun, it's not fun

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited December 2023

It's an argument against the point made twice that pulling two groups is basically an abandoned campaign.

Ah, fair enough. Yeah I agree that's nonsense, you have plenty of ways to recover and I'm no tactics expert.

Morninglord on
  • MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    And you aren't losing out in damage or area of effect ability to do so. A single grenade will not win or lose you a mission. A battlescanner can, especially a well placed one that reveals the sectopod before you run into it.

A single grenade removing cover from multiple enemies leaving a pod sitting out in the open and flanked can absolutely turn a mission.

Honestly though as soon as you get armor you get a second slot, there's very rarely a good reason not to have both a grenade and a utility option (ammo, scanner, etc) on everyone outside of the very very early game.

uH3IcEi.png
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    It's always interesting to see how very different people's experiences are in a game.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
    edited December 2023
    Monwyn wrote: »

A single grenade removing cover from multiple enemies leaving a pod sitting out in the open and flanked can absolutely turn a mission.

Honestly though as soon as you get armor you get a second slot, there's very rarely a good reason not to have both a grenade and a utility option (ammo, scanner, etc) on everyone outside of the very very early game.

That's actually more situationally specific (and rarer) than the scanner because you are relying on all the cover being in the right area and the whole pod being in the aoe. Its rarer than throw a scanner behind a dangerously placed group of enemies so you know if you can move up on them to flank or reposition.

I always take a bunch of grenades I dont fill up all my slots with scanners.

Unfortunately not all armor gives you two slots.

Morninglord on
    edited December 2023
    Saldonas wrote: »
    It's always interesting to see how very different people's experiences are in a game.

That's my whole point really. There's multiple equally weighted different ways to play. It comes down to preference and playstyles.

Anyone declaring their own way is the best is automatically wrong.

If someone wants to stuff every slot with grenades and bring multiple grenadiers and scorched earth a mission, its gonna work just as well as a hybrid mix of grenades and utility, or a minmax ultra stealth, assuming the missions goals aren't counter productive to each strategy. (Eg timed missions make super cautious stealth difficult)

I've used them all successfully. Every class, every strategy.

It all works. Its a remarkably well balanced game.

Morninglord on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    The correct answer is all anti machine ammo, all the time. Sectopods gotta go down HARD whenever they show up

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    That's the sharpshooters job. Lightning hands, fan fire, quick draw for between 3 and 5 hits. One bluescreen rounds is all you ever need

I was always fond of AP rounds for skirmishers. They aren't high damage, but they are excellent for downing particularly hard targets that the rest of the team couldn't quite eliminate.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'm surprised, but I'm not actually enjoying War of the Chosen. It feels like they've given too many disables with the new units, and between the alien rulers, the chosen, and my own unfamiliarity with the basic gameplay since I haven't played in years, even Veteran is proving punishing. And the tired mechanic means I need to spread the experience around more and keep a larger stable of soldiers.

I expected Veteran to be a good difficulty for a first playthrough with some room for strategic and tactical screwups, but it seems like the window where that's true is fairly narrow.

It feels like they didn't get the memo that stuns are not fun gameplay :|

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    That's the sharpshooters job. Lightning hands, fan fire, quick draw for between 3 and 5 hits. One bluescreen rounds is all you ever need

I actively try not to use Sharpshooters, because on the Switch (where I'm playing) Squadsight straight up does not work 95% of the time, so they suck even more than I'm lead to believe the "correct" experience is.

To each their own and your experience is your own. But the space for screwups on veteran is large.

Perhaps the game doesnt really teach you what's strong and weak play very well.