As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[XCOM] is a genre. Daemonhunters out on consoles now!

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    eMoander wrote: »
    Grabbed Daemonhunters since it was on sale to play on my steam deck while traveling and I like it a lot. Lots of good qol upgrades, like the whole squad getting full AP when you uncover a new pack, 100% hit rate with crits giving special effects like disabling guns rather than straight damage, lots of interesting abilities and interactions, overpowered assassins but limited since a lot of buffs and interactions only apply to knights, good story so far, etc etc.
    Plays well on the deck although it drains battery super fast and I need to play plugged in. Also tiny text but not unreadable.
    Anyways I know I’m late to the party, but highly recommend if anyone is still on the fence.

The Assassins are really interesting since, like you say, they're not knights, and they don't, for example, automatically get an extra AP on an execution like knights do, those bloodthirsty goobers.

Also Gate of Eternity doesn't work on them, which makes some folk sad.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Hell yeah, Daemonhunters just announced a console release, Feb 20th. Xbox and PS

Carpy wrote: »
    Hell yeah, Daemonhunters just announced a console release, Feb 20th. Xbox and PS

I get the feeling that Daemonhunters' success took the devs by surprise (I don't think they'd made an xcom before).

I sure hope this is good news for a sequel or, even better, a different codex army getting a game. Love the Grey Knights, but let's see Deathwatch or Inquisition.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited January 17
    Grabbed Daemonhunters since it was on sale to play on my steam deck while traveling and I like it a lot. Lots of good qol upgrades, like the whole squad getting full AP when you uncover a new pack, 100% hit rate with crits giving special effects like disabling guns rather than straight damage, lots of interesting abilities and interactions, overpowered assassins but limited since a lot of buffs and interactions only apply to knights, good story so far, etc etc.
    Plays well on the deck although it drains battery super fast and I need to play plugged in. Also tiny text but not unreadable.
    Anyways I know I’m late to the party, but highly recommend if anyone is still on the fence.

The Assassins are really interesting since, like you say, they're not knights, and they don't, for example, automatically get an extra AP on an execution like knights do, those bloodthirsty goobers.

I'm ok with Gate of Eternity not working on them, but at the same time there's a lot of inconsistency in powers and strategems as to what "knight" means. GoE it's all marines but not the dreadnought or assassins. Some work on the dreadnought but not assassins or the other way around. Others work on both. Others still exclude techmarines. Most exclude servitors but not all. Some probably *should* exclude assassins but don't (the old Chainsaw of Healing for example).

The game does need a terminology cleanup, but that's close to my only complaint.

Hevach on
    Hevach wrote: »

I'm ok with Gate of Eternity not working on them, but at the same time there's a lot of inconsistency in powers and strategems as to what "knight" means. GoE it's all marines but not the dreadnought or assassins. Some work on the dreadnought but not assassins or the other way around. Others work on both. Others still exclude techmarines. Most exclude servitors but not all. Some probably *should* exclude assassins but don't (the old Chainsaw of Healing for example).

The game does need a terminology cleanup, but that's close to my only complaint.

Don't forget Inquisitor Kartha Vakir, who gets left out of most "knight" effects. If I GoE to a Noctilith Crown I can just about have the room cleared before Kartha hustles up. Of course she has her own lil teleport.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    And Lunette now that she shows up in a few missions. She doesn't have her own teleport, but she does have a bafflingly large movement distance considering how slow her walking animation is.

Hevach wrote: »
    And Lunette now that she shows up in a few missions. She doesn't have her own teleport, but she does have a bafflingly large movement distance considering how slow her walking animation is.

I really wish Ectar would have shown up in the
    Chaos raid on the Baleful Edict. I know he has sworn an oath not to take part in missions as a penance, but Chaos literally came to him.
    The cutscene even says that he's headed there.

Gimmick plot characters are annoying if they show up too much, but that's one where it would make sense.

Console port of Daemonhunters out.

https://www.thegamer.com/the-best-warhammer-40000-game-chaos-gate-daemonhunters-console/

Verdict: runs well, at least on the XBOX. Looks like the big DLC isn't there yet.

• eMoandereMoander Registered User regular
    I bought it on xbox, but now I'm halfway through baldurs gate so I figure by the time I'm done with that the DLC might be available.

Xbox: Travesty 0214 Switch: 3304-2356-9421 Honkai Star Rail: 600322115 Battlenet: Travesty #1822
    XCOM 2 on Steam sale for "lowest price ever" alongside Midnight Suns.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/xcom-2/marvels-midnight-suns-steam-sale

I keep hoping that these sales are preludes to an XCOM 3 announcement, but my life isn't that blessed.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 25

I keep hoping that these sales are preludes to an XCOM 3 announcement, but my life isn't that blessed.
    Didn't one of the lead guys nope the hell out of Firaxis after Midnight Sons bombed?

"This game is my only hope of escaping XCOM development forever, It just needs to sell atleast....goddammit!"

XD

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Didn't one of the lead guys nope the hell out of Firaxis after Midnight Sons bombed?

"This game is my only hope of escaping XCOM development forever, It just needs to sell atleast....goddammit!"

XD

Jake Solomon left Firaxis after Midnight Suns didn't do well, but it didn't seem like XCOM was moving at all. I think he was legit heartbroken because Midnight Suns was such a labor of love for him. When he left he said he wanted to do a sim or something. Just change gears entirely.a

That said, if there is any active development on XCOM 3, Jake left them with reams of data and ideas, I'm sure. They could easily proceed without him.

XD

Jake Solomon left Firaxis after Midnight Suns didn't do well, but it didn't seem like XCOM was moving at all. I think he was legit heartbroken because Midnight Suns was such a labor of love for him. When he left he said he wanted to do a sim or something. Just change gears entirely.a

That said, if there is any active development on XCOM 3, Jake left them with reams of data and ideas, I'm sure. They could easily proceed without him.
    Oh, I agree. XCOM 3 is going to be fine. Especially if having alien teammates is going to be one of the new hooks.

Just found the idea of him potentially secretly having a grudge against XCOM for being so successful amusing.

XD

Oh, I agree. XCOM 3 is going to be fine. Especially if having alien teammates is going to be one of the new hooks.

Just found the idea of him potentially secretly having a grudge against XCOM for being so successful amusing.

I would never play another game again if they gave me the ability to recruit aliens.

• EspantaPajaroEspantaPajaro Registered User regular

XD

I would never play another game again if they gave me the ability to recruit aliens.

I dunno man , never really thought a “ the enemies were actually sympathetic “ twist/ angle was needed for xcom .

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    I still haven't gotten around to Midnight Suns because I'm too exhausted that it's 50% talking from the team that brought you The Warlock.

XD

I dunno man , never really thought a “ the enemies were actually sympathetic “ twist/ angle was needed for xcom .

Xenophobia all the way down? Nah. There's enough of that in the real world.

Besides, even disregarding the fact that most of the aliens were mind controlled slaves and freeing and allying with them is the right thing to do, adding "species" to the character options is just about the level of crunch and complexity that I as an old school RPG player crave. Some games have elf wizards and dwarf rogues; I want a muton ranger and a snake sharpshooter.

Coinage wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten around to Midnight Suns because I'm too exhausted that it's 50% talking from the team that brought you The Warlock.

...the Warlock as in War of the Chosen Warlock? I'm not sure how that applies to Midnight Suns. Yeah it's a lot of talking, but the writing is one of the strong suits.

Any thoughts on Phoenix Point?

Always thought that looked pretty cool. Has a shitload of DLC content too.

Any thoughts on Phoenix Point?

Always thought that looked pretty cool. Has a shitload of DLC content too.

I think I still stand by the review in the OP.

Overall I think it's a very worthy XCOM now that they've ironed out the bugs and jank. There's a ton of gear, character variety, and mission types. The vehicles are fun and feel like they're worth bringing along on some missions.

That said, not all of the DLC is thought out well. The air combat one starts off interesting but gets tedious as you start running into fliers that require 2-3 engagements worth of your planes to defeat without casualties. The one that lets you clone hybrid soldiers... well one of their abilities lets you spam an ability that hucks an exploding parasite halfway across the map, giving you endless expendable units (and a unique scouting method). On the other hand, mutating or cyborging your team, or driving around in super madmax hotrods are lots of fun (if pretty expensive, resource-wise).

If you can find a good deal on Phoenix Point I would definitely pick it up.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Going to have a Demonhunters and Jagged Alliance 3 bender in May. I'm excited to play both, especially JA3.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

XD

XCOM2 had such a mixed society with aliens and humans that I think they have to get to some point where they examine that humanity isn't inherently good and aliens aren't inherently evil.

XCOM was a straight up invasion story so it made sense, but 2 had such a changed Earth that I think the next step would be fighting against evil humans and aliens as both.

Anyway, I just need more XCOM in my life regardless of the details.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 26
    Even in 2012 they had the details that all the other species were basically enslaved by the Ethereals, and that there was some ominous looming threat that the Ethereals felt made their actions necessary.

cB557 on
    Also Chimera Squad ripped off the alien squadmate bandage already. It'll be a letdown and a backslide if they aren't an option.

If Jane Kelly is good with xenos, xenos are good enough for me.

• SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    My LWOTC mod jam playthrough included recruitable aliens and it was pretty awesome. Decently balanced too.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I keep thinking I want to play Midnight Suns but I bounced off Persona 5 hard and I just don't think that kind of social gameplay is for me

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    I like Phoenix point as. Middle ground between legacy xcom and modern xcom

But the balancing of things (especially dlc) feels very unpolished and Indy. The dlcs feel more like mods than developer created expansions so I just don’t use them

616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote: »

But the balancing of things (especially dlc) feels very unpolished and Indy. The dlcs feel more like mods than developer created expansions so I just don’t use them
    Disrupter wrote: »

While I agree in spirit, the DLC adds a lot of variety to the gear and mission variety categories; things that vanilla Phoenix Point are a little lacking on.

edited February 29
    I was always conflicted on most gear in Phoenix point because it's not really a tiered system. They're all about the same and it depends on what you value most, with a few exceptions since range = accuracy and is almost always the most important stat. Then of course you eventually get the ancient gear built that is just super OP and the game is over by then. The fact that aliens basically acquire whatever weapons tech you have shortly after researching them is kinda lame too.

I should see how the mod scene for the game has developed because that's really what the game needed. I know there's a big overhaul mod like Long War called Terror from the Void, but I think that's still in beta stages.

Saldonas on
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I never finished a PP run. I'd be doing fine dealing with the constantly escalating pace of attacks until suddenly most of my teams are down in Antarctica and there's 4 attacks hitting in south America and you have to go the long way up through Europe to get over there and I get mad and shut it down

Hmm. I felt like the key to late game is having about 3-4 competent teams and putting each squad in to two Helios for transportation. Early game you'd just steal a couple ships ASAP to minimize the faction hit.

Saldonas wrote: »
    Hmm. I felt like the key to late game is having about 3-4 competent teams and putting each squad in to two Helios for transportation. Early game you'd just steal a couple ships ASAP to minimize the faction hit.

Yeah, the thing to remember is that each mission can have 8 team members, but only the Tiamat zeppelin can carry that many, so it's good to have multiple planes to ferry a full team around.

I usually choose one faction to shitcan each game and repeatedly steal their shit. Disciples of Anu are fuckin' weirdos anyway, so a lot of times I avail myself of their blimps.

That said, they have probably my favorite endgame, so they're worth siding with at least once.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    They never got 16 man missions working? I remember that was one of the big goals of the kickstarter.

-Loki- wrote: »
    They never got 16 man missions working? I remember that was one of the big goals of the kickstarter.

I don't think so? There are a couple 9-cap missions though.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/goblin-stone/steam-preview

The article calls it XCOM with goblins, but it looks more like Darkest Dungeon with goblins.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/goblin-stone/steam-preview

The article calls it XCOM with goblins, but it looks more like Darkest Dungeon with goblins.

Saw an early access key play some on Twitch, it looks very slick

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    I keep thinking I want to play Midnight Suns but I bounced off Persona 5 hard and I just don't think that kind of social gameplay is for me

Persona 5 and Midnight Suns have nothing in common except you can spend time with NPCs via cutscenes, that's it.

I just came here to post about how good Midnight Suns is. I got off the Marvel content train after End Game and generally uninterested or annoyed with Marvel in general, but this game absolutely rules. It's all about the magic side of Marvel, which I know nothing about.

It genuinely feels more like KOTOR with the story and NPC interaction.

And the gameplay! I never thought a card based game would be my jam, but I shouldn't ever bet against Jake Solomon. This is a masterful take on playing as superheroes. Everyone feels powerful! And yeah, it would be lame as hell if, like, Blade missed staking a bad guy.

It's all so joyful and fun, which is something absolutely missing from Marvel content today.

Cannot reccomend it enough.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Ringo wrote: »

Persona 5 and Midnight Suns have nothing in common except you can spend time with NPCs via cutscenes, that's it.

It genuinely feels more like KOTOR with the story and NPC interaction.
    Yeah, personally not what I am in the mood for. I'm still glad it's good, just not what I want

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    Expansion/Spin-off thing coming out for King Arthur: Knight's Tale.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/2739830/?snr=1_5_9__205

• Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    I've gassed out on midnight suns after some 20 hours because theres no way to speed up animations.

The animations are sick, but man every micro step of the game makes you wait, and theres no way to shorten that wait while you're doing whatever missions.