As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Vampire:Swansong, Contract Killer & Old World out today!

191012141524

Posts

  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Also I am not going to lie, this is making me want to play FFX again for the nth time

    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The sphere grid is extremely satisfying. Love moving along those tracks and filling in those dots

    H0b0manUbikDepressperadoWheatBun01PoorochondriacMunkus BeaverBionicPenguinZonugalnever dieAzraith
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    I have a copy of FFX but it is old and raggedy and always freezes right before the first Blitzball game

  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'
    I have a copy of FFX but it is old and raggedy and always freezes right before the first Blitzball game

    The newer ports have all the international edition stuff as well, so it's worth grabbing again on the cheap

    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    Depressperado
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I think it works for FFX because Auron has a reason for being all vague and mysterious, he's not just doing it to be a dick and progress the story.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    shoeboxjeddy
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I think it works for FFX because Auron has a reason for being all vague and mysterious, he's not just doing it to be a dick and progress the story.

    also tidus is unbelievably stupid

    just the dumbest idiot baby brain

    Brolo3cl1ps3Munkus BeaverH0b0manSnicketysnickShadowfireWheatBun01OlivawBionicPenguinTofystedethZonugalnever diedarunia106KwoarusarukunOdinFencingsaxMagic Pink
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I think it works for FFX because Auron has a reason for being all vague and mysterious, he's not just doing it to be a dick and progress the story.

    also tidus is unbelievably stupid

    just the dumbest idiot baby brain

    SorceBahamutZEROBionicPenguinZonugalFencingsax
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 14


    said quest is about giving your pail of hellworm milk to a fromagiere so it can age into a wheel of hellworm cheese

    When my home was destroyed by the tornado and I was stuck in a hotel for a while, I messaged the Fallen Lodon crew to ask if I could get a refund on my premium membership for that month, since my computer access was biffed.

    They responded by giving me two free months of access and wished me well.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    WeedLordVegetaSorceCrippl3MaddocH0b0manPeewiSnicketysnick3cl1ps3ShadowfireFishmanMidnitedurandal4532IoloDarkPrimusKetarOlivawTheySlashThemPoorochondriacCalicaA Dabble Of TheloniusNaphtaliPaperLuigi44BionicPenguinTofystedethDuke 2.0JedocKarozDonnictonElaronever dieJacobkoshdarunia106MvrckHappy Little MachinesarukunFencingsaxThe JudgeSporkAndrewMagic Pink
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Fallen London had no right to be as good as it did. It's almost a shame I obliterated my character.

    I ate an engineer
  • GlalGlal Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    I think it works for FFX because Auron has a reason for being all vague and mysterious, he's not just doing it to be a dick and progress the story.

    also tidus is unbelievably stupid

    just the dumbest idiot baby brain

    A friend is (re)playing the PC port an the game is kind of fucky, with models going missing and such. In this particular cutscene Tidus was just a floating wig, transcending it.

    BroloCrippl3SorcePoorochondriacSnicketysnickBionicPenguinTofystedethZonugalMortal SkyOdinFencingsax
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I've seen that laughing scene made fun of a lot but finally seeing it in the proper context, where it's Yuna saying hey you're really stressed out, do a big stupid positive emotion thing and clear out those nerves, it makes perfect sense and isn't at all the "look at this bad game" it's presented as

    In fact aside from some characters here and there I'd say this is a shockingly good dub for the first time this series has voice acting

    WeedLordVegetaWheatBun01MidniteH0b0manDarkPrimusOlivawNorgothPoorochondriacshoeboxjeddyMunkus BeaverSnicketysnickAthenorNaphtaliBeef AvengerTofystedethZonugalKaroznever dieMortal Sky
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    I created a new save file in a game I am playing for the first time and it asked me if I wanted to start from the beginning.

    I blinked a couple of times before selecting "yes" and am very curious what "no" would have done.

    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I've seen that laughing scene made fun of a lot but finally seeing it in the proper context, where it's Yuna saying hey you're really stressed out, do a big stupid positive emotion thing and clear out those nerves, it makes perfect sense and isn't at all the "look at this bad game" it's presented as

    In fact aside from some characters here and there I'd say this is a shockingly good dub for the first time this series has voice acting

    even in context at the time I felt like it desperately needed a second take, but that's also how I feel about a lot of the scripting and dialog for FFX



    like it's their first time doing a "talkie", and just kinda feels like that throughout

    BahamutZEROMunkus BeaversarukunFencingsax
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    Baidol wrote: »
    I created a new save file in a game I am playing for the first time and it asked me if I wanted to start from the beginning.

    I blinked a couple of times before selecting "yes" and am very curious what "no" would have done.

    Skipped an introduction or tutorial section maybe? Strange way to ask that though.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    edited May 14

    the game also has some horrendous voice acting

    and really stilted dialogue!

    but yes the scene is very clearly fake laughing, but it's also mega-awkward

    PiptheFair on
    BahamutZEROBroloMunkus Beaver3cl1ps3ShadowfireGlalBionicPenguinTofystedethDuke 2.0ZonugalProhassDee KaeHappy Little MachinesarukunOdinFencingsax
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    I feel like that's creating a strawman for why people rag on that scene. It's not because the laughing sounds fake, it's because it's annoyingly fake. Like it is unpleasant to listen to.

    Or maybe that's just me.

    Undead Scottsman on
    BahamutZEROBrolo3cl1ps3GlalTofystedethBionicPenguinKarozProhassHappy Little MachinesarukunMortal SkyFencingsax
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Whoa now, let's not go crazy there yuna

    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    I remember finding that scene overly saccharine and sincere

    Then again I was a 14 year old boy at the time

    Tallahasseeriel on
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I do a little trolling

    Depressperado
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I am gonna knife fight that guy some day

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Depressperado
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Registered User regular
    I am gonna knife fight that guy some day

    that is exactly what he wants

    Crippl3Mysst
  • MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    The reason for the stilled sounding dialogue in FFX is because they had to rewrite the entire localization when they realized the lines were too long to sync to the lip flaps.
    USgamer: Can you talk about the complications involved in working with voice acting for the first time?

    Alexander O. Smith: Well, nobody really knew what they were doing, even on the Japanese side, and that led to one key miscommunication in the lead-up to the project. And, the miscommunication that happened was [voice director] Jack [Fletcher] had asked several months before the project began whether there was going to be ADR recording—to lip flaps, basically. And he was told by somebody—not at Square Japan but at Square Hawaii—who had been working as a go-between, that there would not be syncing to lips. And, the video that he had received at that point, a few months before we actually began recording, was indeed rough cut and didn’t have lip-flaps, or where it did they were garbage flaps that had nothing to do what was being said—the mouths were just moving randomly.

    Essentially, it came down to having to rewrite the script to fit not just the lips, but also very, very strict length considerations. We had been aware of that when we were working on the original translation, but we didn’t realize how serious they were about not having the English voices go over the length of the Japanese voices at any point. Because the way that the game engine was triggering sound files was tied into the same system that it was using to trigger action on the screen, so if you had a sound file that went overboard by even half a second, it could throw off the entire scene and you could get a crash.

    (interview link)

    BahamutZERO
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    If there's anything I can say about the FFs I've played so far it is that they are never not incredibly sincere

    OlivawPoorochondriacMunkus BeaverWheatBun013cl1ps3MysstTofystedethZonugalJacobkoshnever dieDee KaeMortal Sky
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    adherence to lip flaps is by and large, the biggest source of Janky Lines in translated works

    liEt3nH.png
    MidniteTheySlashThemOlivawBroloshoeboxjeddyPoorochondriacMunkus BeaverBahamutZEROWheatBun01durandal45323cl1ps3ShadowfireMysstSorcePaperLuigi44TofystedethJacobkoshdarunia106never dieKristmas KthulhusarukunMortal SkyFencingsaxGR_Zombie
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    I dislike that "lip flaps" seems to be the accepted term for it I find it unpleasant

    Why can't we call it speech animation or something

    Tallahasseeriel on
    Crippl3Brovid Hasselsmof
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I dislike that "lip flaps" seems to be the accepted term for it I find it unpleasant

    Why can't we call it speech animation or something

    Just wet meat flaps flapping and making meaty wet meat slapping sounds

    zeHjgKv.png
    MaddocMidniteBroloshoeboxjeddyCrippl3TallahasseerielShadowfireTheySlashThemTofystedethSLyMOlivawIoloZonugalDisruptedCapitalistdarunia106never dieKristmas KthulhuMortal SkyOdinFencingsaxSporkAndrew
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    They're more moist than wet

    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    BahamutZERO
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    I dislike that "lip flaps" seems to be the accepted term for it I find it unpleasant

    Why can't we call it speech animation or something

    Just wet meat flaps flapping and making meaty wet meat slapping sounds

    They're made of meat

    BroloFishmanMunkus Beaver3cl1ps3PeewiTofystedethOlivawKristmas KthulhusarukunOdinFencingsax
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. boom Registered User regular
    lccga472ymr6.png

    liEt3nH.png
    BroloTallahasseerielFishman3cl1ps3DarkPrimusPeewiZonugalDisruptedCapitalistKristmas KthulhuFencingsax
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I feel like that's creating a strawman for why people rag on that scene. It's not because the laughing sounds fake, it's because it's annoyingly fake. Like it is unpleasant to listen to.

    Or maybe that's just me.

    It is literally FAKE laughter. They are trying too hard to do it because they're both emotionally wiped out and there's nothing funny to laugh about. But Tidus is correct that faking the action of being happy can actually make you feel better, even if only a little. There are studies on this. It's an interesting scene, done well, and people respond to it like "LAUGH SOUND BAD." It's so shallow.

    Delduwath
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited May 14
    You can do a fake laugh without making people's ears bleed. :tongue:

    Undead Scottsman on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    You can do a fake laugh without making people's ears bleed. :tongue:

    It's not SUPPOSED to sound pleasant. Faking laughter doesn't actually sound good, it sounds faked and forced. The voice actors are professionals and delivered that experience accurately. It's not like you're hearing this bit of dialogue over and over, it's one conversation in the course of a 40 hour game. People memed it so you hear it way more and out of context. Big shock that the meme designed to be annoying is annoying, huh?

  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It can be fake laughter that is also stiltedly acted.

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    BahamutZEROdurandal4532BionicPenguinDuke 2.0Kristmas KthulhuFencingsax
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Okay I think we're hitting rapidly diminishing returns on the debate about an annoying sound

    PoorochondriacMidnitedurandal45323cl1ps3BroloSorceStraightziMaddocminor incidentBeef AvengerKetarTofystedethZonugaldarunia106Happy Little MachineMortal Sky
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    You can do a fake laugh without making people's ears bleed. :tongue:

    It's not SUPPOSED to sound pleasant. Faking laughter doesn't actually sound good, it sounds faked and forced. The voice actors are professionals and delivered that experience accurately. It's not like you're hearing this bit of dialogue over and over, it's one conversation in the course of a 40 hour game. People memed it so you hear it way more and out of context. Big shock that the meme designed to be annoying is annoying, huh?

    The funny thing about there being a reason for something being annoying is that at the end of the day, IT'S STILL ANNOYING. That doesn't go away no matter what lore reasons you bring up.

    And that's not a knock against the voice actors; this was entirely a voice direction problem.

    BionicPenguin
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I dislike that "lip flaps" seems to be the accepted term for it I find it unpleasant

    Why can't we call it speech animation or something

    moists per minute

    BahamutZERO.gif
    Crippl3ShadowfireMaddocGlalTofystedethOdin
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Reality is subjective and art is subjective and thus there's a REASON for this debate to be insufferably annoying, and yet it is still insufferably annoying

    Really makes u think

    Midniteminor incidentOdinFencingsax
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Reality is subjective and art is subjective and thus there's a REASON for this debate to be insufferably annoying, and yet it is still insufferably annoying

    Really makes u think

    I sincerely doubt that whatever this post made me feel could be described as 'thinking'

    Twitch Channel
    Steam: munkus_beaver
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    http://www.ccfa.org/
    DarmakElaroKristmas KthulhuFencingsax
Sign In or Register to comment.