As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

🖥️🎮 - Nemesis Distress, Defend the Bits TD & American Theft 80s out today!

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ah dangit. Salt and Sacrifice is kind of a lot worse than Sanctuary. What a bummer :(

Need to craft healing and ammo. Can only level up at the hub which means teleporting back and losing all your level progress because you can't fast travel within a zone, but also you need to run about a minute to get from the teleporter to the levelup altar. Fighting mages, they constantly run away monster-hunter style and you need to catch up with them and it's incredibly tedious. Basically no exploration because it's a demon souls style hub and level area world. Monsters all super aggressive with lunge attacks and stunlocks, with few openings to do anything. No parrying anymore. Weapons and shields are one item slot, so you can't mix and match or go between one and two handing.

Basically a step back. Like this is the first game they made then fixed everything with the sequel, Salt and Sanctuary.

Aistan on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    sounds like the miserable and tedious gameplay that our market research indicates fans want from the genre

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That's a shame, I liked Sanctuary, even if I was terrible at it.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Dixon wrote: »
    I was thinking Civ Beyond Earth for Janeway....but yeah her choice in the tweet is the only one that isn't meshing.

In canon the way Janeway relaxes is by role-playing through a story reminiscent of Rebecca (by Daphne du Maurier) within the Holodeck.

So... What video game is closest to Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca?

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Janeway plays some otome visual novel

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was gonna say AC2 or Brotherhood for Janeway because of da Vinci.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Burnham would definitely be Mass Effect because suddenly the fate of the galaxy is involved (I say this as a Discovery fan).

However, she's still incredibly pissed off at the end of Mass Effect 3, and it's advisable to never mention that in her presence. (I say this also as a Disco fan)

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Burnham would definitely be Mass Effect because suddenly the fate of the galaxy is involved (I say this as a Discovery fan).

However, she's still incredibly pissed off at the end of Mass Effect 3, and it's advisable to never mention that in her presence. (I say this also as a Disco fan)

Wait. Am I Burnham?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Zonugal wrote: »
    The Hunted, with Del Toro and Jones?

This is my guess as well.

This was it, thank y'all!!

https://youtu.be/Nyhj98e-EP4

edit: I'd post the other knife fight from that film, but it's pretty graphic, even for me. Still hella impressive though

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I was thinking Civ Beyond Earth for Janeway....but yeah her choice in the tweet is the only one that isn't meshing.

In canon the way Janeway relaxes is by role-playing through a story reminiscent of Rebecca (by Daphne du Maurier) within the Holodeck.

Doom II

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    The Hunted, with Del Toro and Jones?

This is my guess as well.

This was it, thank y'all!!

https://youtu.be/Nyhj98e-EP4

edit: I'd post the other knife fight from that film, but it's pretty graphic, even for me. Still hella impressive though

Portland logistics are on complete acid in that film.

This includes demonstrating that the Hawthorne Bridge is a distant cousin of the runway in F6.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Wait. Am I Burnham?

We're all a bit Burnham about ME3.

Honestly, the ending (and the way the devs acted about it) was so bad as to retroactively sour my opinion on the series quite heavily. Once you see the way it just throws out so much of the good stuff like the Legion/Geth storyline for... whatever the hell that drek was, it gets a lot, lot harder to ignore or gloss over a lot of the other crap in the setting.

I'd actually go so far as to say it's one of the main reasons i've stopped giving a shit about Bioware as a company, honestly. Which is impressive for a piece of media! (But also anyone who knows me knows i'm a very critical penguin =P)

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    You're not Burnham if you can speak above a whisper.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Jedoc wrote: »

Doom II

F.E.A.R, there is at least a haunting in that game.

Also Katamari Damacy for the Borg Queen

Dixon on
  • ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I feel like Weyoun is an RTS player.

But what is Damar....?

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I feel like Weyoun is an RTS player.

But what is Damar....?

Drunk, usually?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Was thinking about getting sinking city on my series x but remembered there was some hoopla with like the publishers stealing the devs version and putting it up for sale on steam or something? Basically I only want to buy it if the money from the Xbox sale goes to the actual devs

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Damar has like 3k hours in LoL I'm sure of it

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Oh fuck, yeah, that's good.

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Prohass wrote: »
    Was thinking about getting sinking city on my series x but remembered there was some hoopla with like the publishers stealing the devs version and putting it up for sale on steam or something? Basically I only want to buy it if the money from the Xbox sale goes to the actual devs

From what I can find, you need to check who is listed as the publisher. Frogwares is the devs so if they are listed as the publisher you are good. Nacon/Big Ben were the shitty publishers.

McHoger on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    During today's Nintendo direct, a game caught my eye called Soundfall. It gave me massive Crypt of the Necromancer vibes, but suggested to be a dual stick shooter / looter shooter game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhqempUAW2A

Naturally I had to give it a shot. So I bought it on Steam, though it felt a bit expensive for what you get. I guess it's been in the works for a while?

The devs were asking for reviews to spread the word, so I figured I'd do that. Here's what I posted, after around an hour and a half:
    I saw this during a Direct today, and had no clue it existed. But the second I saw it, I knew I had to play it.

And so far (1 1/2 hours in) I'm NOT disappointed.

It is essentially a mashup of a dual-stick shooter and Crypt of the Necrodancer (or more precisely, Cadence of Hyrule). A bit more freeform than Crypt, but also a bit more punishing if you are off-beat. I don't know if it is my computer or what, but tuning the delay is a bit tough so I am having to rely very heavily on my ears.

I can easily see how this game could get overwhelming, as they throw more and more enemies at you. Juggling dashing between attacks is tougher on faster songs, and so far I've not been able to do a perfect run - but that is perhaps to be expected. There really isn't much to guide you towards a couple things - like using the face buttons instead of the triggers for more precise input (at the cost of only being able to do one thing at a time). They also don't explain the overworld map very well, which is needed to start unlocking things. I also think the biome chunks can easily be picked out and start to get repetitive... hopefully there can be more variety in those in the future. And finally, the game really does encourage you to speed through things. Which.. well, is fine, except I want to listen to this music! :)

All in all, I would very much recommend it. It's been a while since I've done a blind buy like this. I'm glad I did.

I'm kind of curious how multiplayer goes, given the songs are in the 2-4 minute range.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's one I'm going to check out. There's a lot of names from the VGM community involved in it. Super Guitar Bros, EyeQ, Mason Lieberman, etc.

steam_sig.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Yeah, that's one I'm going to check out. There's a lot of names from the VGM community involved in it. Super Guitar Bros, EyeQ, Mason Lieberman, etc.

Humorously, I didn't recognize very many of the artists. But hey, I can always import my own songs!

You know, if I had them anymore and didn't just use Spotify for everything.

... Oh god, what would a Pluffaduff mashup sound like in there? Let alone Neil Cicirega...

Edit: The trailer song is from a group called Flux Vortex, called "Spin for Me." It is used very appropriately in the game. Seems to be hosted on YouTube by a company called Epidemic Sound.

https://open.spotify.com/track/0CTCJRUphk4GvmIYgeD0bz?si=ee19ed8125204f1c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAaY5w8zJlU

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Does anyone have recommendations for fantasy turn-based tactics games? Someone asked me and I realized that actually I have a ton of sci-fi ones that I like but not that many fantasy-ish ones. I guess Battle Brothers? But thats very low fantady compared to like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I may just insist on them giving Into the Breach a go because it's good enough to transcend theme.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for fantasy turn-based tactics games? Someome asked me and I realized that actually I have a ton of sci-fi ones that I like but not that many fantasy-ish ones. I guess Battle Brothers? But thats very low fantady compared to like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I may just insist on them giving Into the Breach a go because it's good enough to transcend theme.

Wargroove and Banner Saga come to mind.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I think the recent Fire Emblem games might be the most popular ones.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Anything in the Heroes of Might and Magic orbit, as well, including recently-released-into-early-access Songs of Conquest.

Another early access title that might interest you is The Iron Oath, which is a mercenary company management and tactical combat game.

Elvenshae on
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have recommendations for fantasy turn-based tactics games? Someome asked me and I realized that actually I have a ton of sci-fi ones that I like but not that many fantasy-ish ones. I guess Battle Brothers? But thats very low fantady compared to like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Wildermyth is a great one, I highly recommend it. Simple but deep tactics and very strong writing with some unique fantasy worldbuilding.

The Banner Saga games are also quite good, although I know some people bounce off the combat because it's doing a couple of weird things. Strong writing as well, overall, although occasionally a bit oblique about it.

The Divinity Original Sin games are solid tactics games with mixed quality RPGs attached to them.

I've been playing Trials of Fire which largely fits that, but it's got some very card/board game elements to it.

Tenderfoot Tactics is a really weird game that does a lot of very interesting things and can also be quite unapproachable and arcane. Really neat ideas though, I have to recommend giving it a try.

Pendragon is a strange sort of adjacent thing, doing Arthurian mythology through a very board game territory control aesthetic. Not a true match probably, but worth mentioning.

Druidstone is a decent little one, from what I remember. Story's pretty awful but it's got fun tactics.

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    Baidol wrote: »

Wargroove and Banner Saga come to mind.

Disgaea, Fire Emblem, and King's Bounty were what I came up with. I think there's been one or more King Arthur ones as well. And that alternate history French Revolution one, Banner of the Maid. I guess some of these depend on how you wish to interpret fantasy-ish, but I think they fit.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Does anyone have recommendations for fantasy turn-based tactics games? Someone asked me and I realized that actually I have a ton of sci-fi ones that I like but not that many fantasy-ish ones. I guess Battle Brothers? But thats very low fantady compared to like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Oh I've got a friend who loves those, one sec.

- Fell Seal: The Arbiter's Mark -- https://store.steampowered.com/app/699170/Fell_Seal_Arbiters_Mark/
    - Utawarerumono: Prelude to the Fallen -- https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151450/Utawarerumono_Prelude_to_the_Fallen/
    - Eiyu*Senki Gold - A New Conquest -- https://store.steampowered.com/app/1518430/EiyuSenki_Gold__A_New_Conquest/

Madican on
    God bless games that let you change the difficulty mid-game and don’t make you reload a save or worse, lock you in from the start. Even better are the games that let you tweak all kinds of granular settings (player damage, enemy damage, health regen speed, cooldown times, etc). A buddy of mine has been going through Guardians of the Galaxy and went from not really enjoying it to totally in love with it thanks to a few tweaks in the difficulty menu.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've spent all night playing Citizen Sleeper. I accidentally stumbled into one of the endings, although it let me go back and keep playing afterwards, so that's good.

What a delightful, strangely optimistic little game.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    If you're playing FFXIV and you're not a Warrior, you fucked up.

sig.gif
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    God bless games that let you change the difficulty mid-game and don’t make you reload a save or worse, lock you in from the start. Even better are the games that let you tweak all kinds of granular settings (player damage, enemy damage, health regen speed, cooldown times, etc). A buddy of mine has been going through Guardians of the Galaxy and went from not really enjoying it to totally in love with it thanks to a few tweaks in the difficulty menu.
    I turned off QTEs and made the power select menu fully pause the game, it was great.

Seconding Wildermyth. It's got a really strong and clever blend of procedural content and pre-written content that makes for some very stirring play.

It's also hugely queer friendly, a big plus.

It's tactics game is real strong too and implements characters aging really well. It also lets you save characters after campaigns are over then bring them back as legacy heros which is fantastic and occasionally very funny (like the time I made one of my characters parents... An immortal skeleton. The daughter was pretty chill that her dad just turned up 8+ years after she last saw him and he was a skeleton now. These things happen!)

Also you can kiss a turtle.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Pentagon was super, super disappointing IMO. It felt like it was doing overtly brutal gameplay + required high difficulty + tedium in exchange for a much less inspired narrative than their other efforts; it felt almost completely random generator fever dream rather than at all structured.

I ate an engineer
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Took a look at Eye of Ra, one of the itch bundle games

The government(s) are concerned about asteroids impacting the various inhabited worlds of the solar system, and so they create the titular space station, and arm it with a laser cannon. You play as the lone technician assigned to the station.

The interface is meant to mimic an OS, including a unix-like terminal window. One of the commands lets you pause / unpause the game and change the speed at which time passes. The only initial evidence that time is passing is a date in the upper-right. When you open up the laser control panel, it'll display an error while the game is paused. An odd touch.

The first assignment is to destroy a particular asteroid. I located it with the commands, or tried to. I fired at it, but received no feedback.

I panned the camera and found the sun. I fired at the sun, but received no feedback.

I panned the camera and found Earth. I fired at the Earth; my credentials were revoked, and a shuttle was dispatched to remove me from this position. I cannot really argue with that decision.

Tamin on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    hahaha how many need for speed reboots is this now

This discussion has been closed.