As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

🖥️🎮 - Nemesis Distress, Defend the Bits TD & American Theft 80s out today!

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I think it's more of a want for speed if we're honest

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    The Desire of Fastness: an Automobile Romance in Three Parts

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    RIP codemasters

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I think it's more of a want for speed if we're honest

A wont of speed?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    My nephew loves the F1 games, he even got a racing wheel for Christmas.

So EA better not fuck that up.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »

the track record of EA fucking up need for speed should not fill you with confidence

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

the track record of EA fucking up need for speed should not fill you with confidence

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

my sweet summer child

• Options
    MidniteMidnite Registered User regular
    Fae Tactics is a good one. Gorgeous sprite art, decent enough story and solid gameplay. Very reminiscent of the PS1 era of SRPGs.

Horizon's Gate is another one I really enjoyed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0So11Ag-Vo

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I do not remember when the last good Need for Speed was

2012 Most Wanted, maybe?

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Heat was pretty good.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWaG48lgV9M

if they are making a new need for speed they better bring back all the shitty first person FMV scenes

hZ0FXXa.jpg
    H7TPN0e.jpg
    cijVura.jpg
    V38DsGS.jpg
    kgOSV7D.jpg
    USOGGxl.jpg
    IhYMopP.jpg

just first person slupring monster energy juice with my Big Boys

Brolo on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I love how they perfectly fit that “criminals but not actually criminals” thing that need for speed had going. Like it was a Pixar alternate world where everyone just plays their roles but nobody is actually in danger. There’s no war or killing. Just the need for speed

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVwy2auZiIY
    Choose a Commanding Officer from one of three factions. Explore, expand, and endure across campaigns set on a mysterious planet steeped in mystical sci-fi lore! Fight tactical, turn-based battles across large maps. Play with friends in local + online multiplayer. Mod the game and make it your own!
    20220512 Cantata EA (Early Access Strategy Sandbox Pixel Graphics )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D9pPtOgIFQ
    End the conflict between Hades and Ares in this souls-like action RPG. Battle gods, defeat mythological creatures, and gather resources alone or in co-op in Achilles: Legends Untold.
    20220512 Achilles: Legends Untold (Early Access Action-Adventure Souls-like Co-op)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFQ7-tqti4E
    Unravel the mysteries of death, and find the answers to life.A unique Mystery-Adventure Game:The Centennial Case: A Shijima Story
    20220512 The Centennial Case : A Shijima Story (Choose Your Own Adventure FMV Adventure)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi_P5BNijik
    Flippin Kaktus is a 2D brutal action-vendetta with retro-inspired graphics and 80s vibe, featuring a spiky hero with the thorny past and rage outbreaks combat style.
    20220512 Flippin Kaktus (1980s Platformer Side Scroller Pixel Graphics)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWcY_nUFqls
    A new life in the country is calling! Fulfil your dreams and manage your very own farm in this lovingly designed open-world game. Work hard, manage your business wisely and your little farm might grow into a personal paradise, surrounded by nature. Kick back, unwind and watch your dreams grow.
    20220512 Harvest Days: My Dream Farm (Early Access RPG Indie Farming Sim Life Sim)

Brolo on
  • Options
    The Centennial Case : A Shijima Story is a square enix FMV game, I was kind of hoping for a Quiet Man 2 from it but it seems to be of higher quality

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    milski wrote: »
    Pentagon was super, super disappointing IMO. It felt like it was doing overtly brutal gameplay + required high difficulty + tedium in exchange for a much less inspired narrative than their other efforts; it felt almost completely random generator fever dream rather than at all structured.

Honestly I mostly agree with this

I'm a big Arthuriana guy so I've got a bunch of interest there (and I do think there's some interesting choices made within that context), but overall I don't think it succeeded at what it was trying to do

Straightzi on
  • Options
    GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    I'll absolutely second Wildermyth as low-fantasy X-Com, which differs from Massive Chalice's low-fantasy X-Com in that there's an emphasis on exploring a wilder world where threats can come from many directions and on character relationships turning into character growth through personal stories.

Tenderfoot Tactics is a bit of low-fantasy X-Com 2 which makes the bold choice to have no navigational minimap - you get a zoom out that increases with collectibles, and can get two drawn world maps and various local maps from settlements, but you have to figure out how to get to the places they describe on your own. It's also a little bit Final Fantasy Tactics in that you need certain base classes leveled to take on advanced classes, but the really good ones are locked behind challenge shrines scattered all over the world map.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    The map stuff in Tenderfoot is so good and also feels a little bit at odds with the rest of the game.

I think that's my biggest issue with it, honestly - I loved the exploration and I loved the combat but they felt ill matched to one another. To the point that I'd sometimes only be in the mood for doing one of them at a given time and have trouble playing the game as a result.

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    a
    Does anyone have recommendations for fantasy turn-based tactics games? Someone asked me and I realized that actually I have a ton of sci-fi ones that I like but not that many fantasy-ish ones. I guess Battle Brothers? But thats very low fantady compared to like Final Fantasy Tactics.

I may just insist on them giving Into the Breach a go because it's good enough to transcend theme.

@durandal4532 in addition to what Straightzi said, The Iron Oath is a new early access title that I've played and can vouch for. It's not done yet, but it seems well on the way and the devs have a clear roadmap online. The core systems are really solid and fun, it has a great pixel art aesthetic, and there's a nifty management sim aspect (you're running a fantasy mercenary company).

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the recommendations! I had a few of these on the list already but there's a lot of great new stuff. It was funny to realize that while I'm into turn-based tactics I've absolutely gravitated toward generally sci-fi-ish stuff more than I realized over the years.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, Iron Oath is sitting on my wishlist, I want to check that one out

Also there I might as well mention:
    - King Arthur: Knight's Tale
    - Gloomhaven
    - Shores Unknown
    - Vagrus - The Riven Realms
    - Lost Eidolons

I can't really say much about or vouch for any of them, of course, but they all seem interesting enough

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Iron Oath is sitting on my wishlist, I want to check that one out

Also there I might as well mention:
    - King Arthur: Knight's Tale
    - Gloomhaven
    - Shores Unknown
    - Vagrus - The Riven Realms
    - Lost Eidolons

I can't really say much about or vouch for any of them, of course, but they all seem interesting enough

Gloomhaven is pretty cool and I say that as someone that really dislikes tactical battle games

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven is definitely in my top boardgames of all time.

I'd classify it as a computerized version of a boardgame, rather than a TBS / TBT game, though, even though there's definitely a lot of overlap in the genres.

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Gloomhaven is definitely in my top boardgames of all time.

I'd classify it as a computerized version of a boardgame, rather than a TBS / TBT game, though, even though there's definitely a lot of overlap in the genres.

I really dislike the boardgame but the video game makes it good.

• Options
    Yeah I like it a bunch as a board game I just ain't played the digital version yet

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Hmm I actually hadn't considered Gloomhaven but I've heard great things about the boardgame version. I could totally see that being fun to do co-op as well! Do you need two copies or does it allow for remote play together?

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Speaking of Yet More Sci-fi Turn-Based Strategy Games, Cantata just hit early access today. It's apparently a turn-based strategy with an emphasis on supply chain management? Looks like something to keep an eye on.

• Options
    Oh if you're looking for co-op let me double down on Wildermyth, which has a very good co-op mode

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So I'm still playing LOTRO and have been enjoying it a lot. Mostly just solo questing, and while the actual quests are standard MMO fare (fetch me 30 bear dicks, go talk to that guy, come back to quest giver, etc.) the writing and whatnot for them is pretty good. Like they do a good job of making me feel like I'm in Middle Earth.

I had also been enjoying the world chat because people seemed pretty chill and sometimes silly, and I'd even had some fun discussions about the more esoteric lore of the books. But last night it was filled with chuds screaming about some upcoming LOTR show and it apparently casting some non-white people for some of the elves and how it was, "DiSrEsPeCtInG tHe LoRe" and the usual pissbaby whining about "woke culture" ruining everything. So I might end up muting world chat and truly playing the game like it's single player. At least it's got pretty landscapes:

7bistukbnr8e.jpeg
    5iqnkmtr5ro0.jpeg
    4zrelxarqklh.jpeg

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Cantata, or Wontata?

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Really more of a Shouldntata

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Small followup to my earlier praise for games with granular difficulty settings.

Big props to games with great accessibility settings. Especially Horizon Forbidden West, which had something I've never seen before: The ability to eliminate tinnitus sounds. Pretty awesome to be able to play through an entire bombastic action game with lots of explosions and not suffer any ear pain or freak my dog out!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Small followup to my earlier praise for games with granular difficulty settings.

Big props to games with great accessibility settings. Especially Horizon Forbidden West, which had something I've never seen before: The ability to eliminate tinnitus sounds. Pretty awesome to be able to play through an entire bombastic action game with lots of explosions and not suffer any ear pain or freak my dog out!

I always thought like a standardized list of accessibility options for game developers would be nice. Devs could look to it when designing their games to either design the game around some/all of them, or at least include them in the game's options. Plus having a list of the various options for devs would be helpful because maybe they had never thought about tinnitus sounds negatively affecting people before (like I hadn't until I read your post just now!), and now they would know.

Of course most wouldn't use it because it's extra effort that wouldn't make them any more profit, so fuck us I guess

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Darmak wrote: »
    So I'm still playing LOTRO and have been enjoying it a lot. Mostly just solo questing, and while the actual quests are standard MMO fare (fetch me 30 bear dicks, go talk to that guy, come back to quest giver, etc.) the writing and whatnot for them is pretty good. Like they do a good job of making me feel like I'm in Middle Earth.

I had also been enjoying the world chat because people seemed pretty chill and sometimes silly, and I'd even had some fun discussions about the more esoteric lore of the books. But last night it was filled with chuds screaming about some upcoming LOTR show and it apparently casting some non-white people for some of the elves and how it was, "DiSrEsPeCtInG tHe LoRe" and the usual pissbaby whining about "woke culture" ruining everything. So I might end up muting world chat and truly playing the game like it's single player. At least it's got pretty landscapes:
    7bistukbnr8e.jpeg
    5iqnkmtr5ro0.jpeg
    4zrelxarqklh.jpeg

I like your boar, I do not like that your Hobbit is wearing boots.

what server you playing on?

Depressperado on
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Re: need for speed, I'm still sad we never got a burnout paradise city 2.

Then again given the dj in the first one and the chance for them to double down on car selling dlc...

Also wiping out because there was no way to know that oncoming traffic had spawned over that hill sucked.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zoI3Egf-IQ

The bad news: no new Alan Wake 2 info this summer, Remedy wants to deliver the best first impression they can.
    The good news: A "great deal" of Alan Wake 2 is already playable, and development is going well.
    The good if its good/good if its bad news: AMC (the network behind Breaking Bad/Walking Dead/Better Call Saul and more) has bought the rights to make an Alan Wake tv show.
    The "man I hope this runs well" news: Alan Wake 1 Remastered is coming to Switch, will not be a cloud version.

• Options

personally i think in order to make games art, games should better respect authorial intent, and therefore games should have fewer options, possibly no options at all:

like what if I made the following game
    hardcore roguelike mmo with an emphasis on realism, so no despawning on logout, people can permanently kill your character if they catch your character while offline, so either don't log off or hide your character

game is online only, no options for offline play

no option to turn "friendly fire" or PVP off

one profile/autosave slot so that players can't "cheat" out of their enjoyment of the game experience by playing the game on different accounts or more than once

game runs at a locked 24 frames per second, also known as cinematic quality

game runs at 4:3 aspect ratio regardless of your monitor size, but crops to full screen, so widescreen players will never see the top or bottom fifths of the screen

7.1 audio with heavy reliance on the centre channel, so if you don't have that specific setup you can't hear any dialog

no volume controls, you either listen to the repeating royalty free buttrock loop at max volume or listen to nothing

unbindable hotkeys that are hardcoded to dvorak, the most efficient keyboard layout

to make sure everyone has an equal gameplay input experience there will be no gamepad support, plugging in the gamepad disables keyboard/mouse input, but does not enable gamepad input. unplugging the gamepad will not correct this, making it impossible to input anything into the system unless you reset the entire computer

several sections of the game will be kinect only, if you don't own a kinect you probably should have gotten one when they were still on sale,
    you will use motion controls to simulate pushing buttons in the air, the ultimate immersive experience

call me video brojima, konami give me a call if you read this, we can make this into metal gear re-survivengance

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    The "man I hope this runs well" news: Alan Wake 1 Remastered is coming to Switch, will not be a cloud version.

I know a lot of Switch games run poorly, but I would hope a remaster of a game that originally came out on Xbox 360 would run fine.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Brolo wrote: »
    7.1 audio with heavy reliance on the centre channel, so if you don't have that specific setup you can't hear any dialog

When I finally got a nice surround sound setup, I realized how many games (and tv/movies) were actually mixed this way for reals.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    For fantasy tactical rpgs, there's that Mordheim game on Steam, set in the Warhammer Fantasy universe.

I bought it a while ago, but haven't played it yet.

There will probably be a Skulls for the Skull Throne event in the next month or two, where basically everything Warhammer on Steam goes on sale, so it'll probably be dirt cheap then.

This discussion has been closed.