As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The One Where [Chat] Eats A Soup Tube

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    JebusUD wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Asda.com (so pricing for my nearest supermarket) has:

basic carrots for £0.43/kg
    premium "crunchy and sweet" carrots for £0.50/kg
    Chantenay carrots for £2.00/kg

You're living on a different planet of carrots from me. A planet with different types of carrots instead of just "carrot".

We've lost the art of carrots and shamed our ancestors.

Whatevs I planted a bunch of those fun purple and orange and yellow carrots this year.

I will remember the face of my father

are YOU on the beer list?
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    You can get rainbow carrots at Trader Joe's and whole foods, But as far as I can tell they taste exactly the same and aren't worth paying a dollar more for.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Dungeon Meshi is cute af

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    So the US Air Force made this commercial a couple weeks ago...

Opening line:

The Earth is 70% water, and 30% land, but the entire sky belongs to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbNP0FUItjI

I'm not saying that it was a pointed message to any persons or countries in particular but....
    They are paying to run it in theaters before Top Gun Maverick - a movie about US Navy pilots.

lololol

tinwhiskers on
    6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    Either carrots come in tiny bags in the UK or somehow you've discovered nearly free carrots.

I think the last bag of carrots I bought was 3 dollars.

Carrots are one of the very cheapest staple crops here

It's not uncommon to grow them as winter forage crops because it's vastly cheaper than animal feed

You probably pay usurious prices for corn or onions or something there. Copium

Roots and alliums are the cheap vegetable groups

The expensive ones tend to be those that are glasshouse grown in the Netherlands

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Either carrots come in tiny bags in the UK or somehow you've discovered nearly free carrots.

It's not uncommon to grow them as winter forage crops because it's vastly cheaper than animal feed

The expensive ones tend to be those that are glasshouse grown in the Netherlands

ah

lupins

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Alliums?

Damn near killed him

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    You're living on a different planet of carrots from me. A planet with different types of carrots instead of just "carrot".

The stereotype in my head says that USA only has "bread".

I think a lot of people don't appreciate how visceral the experience of energy prices is if you're living in poverty

I remember the experience of being stuck with a prepayment meter and thus being able to see the balance tick down in real time

Just realised that this is kind of context free

That twitter comment traces back to news stories about food banks reporting that people are turning down potatoes because they can't afford to run the appliances to cook them

edited May 2022
    Oh snap Nvidia is open sourcing their Linux drivers

Get rekt m$

Tumin on
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    I am completely lacking in firepower so far in Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon

It feels like my parter ‘mon is doing all the work and I’ve been left to tackle and mud slap and take hits for him

Also the electrics in this dungeon hit like a truck

Maybe I should restart…? That’s quitter talk. But I’m not that far in…

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
    Atomika wrote: »

ah

lupins

And nightshades!

I got 20 ears of corn for a dollar last summer. So if you want nearly free corn book a flight.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Echo wrote: »

100% whole wheat is a legal designation and the rest are trash

I don't think the UK gets through a lot of corn

I think the cheapest way to buy it I is as frozen sweetcorn at about £1.50/kg

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

um excuse me we have lots of varieties

we have wonder bread and entemann's bread and pepperidge farm bread and sara lee bread

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    How bad has the food crisis in the UK gotten?

What do you feed your cattle? What abour your hats?

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Let’s be mad

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Allium? More like all yum

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    Let’s be mad

I’ve been pretty tee’d up for about four days now

• Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    good morning donks, donkettes and Chanus

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
    The British get weird about other countries' bread but it's actually because UK bread is strange and they're not used to "real" bread

The default bread here is made with low-gluten flour by the chorleywood method, which involves creating a kind of aerated foam which is then baked, instead of a dough which is risen with yeast

So it's very consistent, doesn't readily crumb, and is much more neutral tasting than yeast breads

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    I'm back at work after taking 3 days off for bereavement and I am not excited to be back good folks. Not excited at all.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    i really dislike when you're sick and you have to drink lots of fluids

i just turn into a creature whose lifecycle is couch, bathroom, kitchen to pour more water, repeat.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Allium? More like all yum
    Calm down JK Rowling

Hakkekage wrote: »
    i really dislike when you're sick and you have to drink lots of fluids

i just turn into a creature whose lifecycle is couch, bathroom, kitchen to pour more water, repeat.

Are you working still or leisurely sick day?

Oh no, I can get 10 different kinds of cauliflower and 20 different kinds of potatoes and 40 different kinds of apples.

For some reason carrots are like the 90s mushroom experience. It comes in one kind. And maybe sometimes it comes in another kind but that kind is basically the same as the first one looks a little different, but 1 dollar more and tastes the same.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    @Elldren I finally know where your avatar is from and I love it

Tumin wrote: »

How do you give Frosty his corn cob pipe?

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    Without corn how do you lure out feral hogs to take down from your helicopter with an AR15

Tumin wrote: »

Grass, hay, and root forage crops

The UK farming industry gets quite upset whenever there's stuff about the carbon footprint of red meat, because UK farmed meat is vastly less carbon intensive than in the US where most of the talking points originate, plus it tends to use marginal land that wouldn't support arable crops without some very intensive farming methods

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    are we trying to trick the euros into thinking we don't have vegetables

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    a quick googling of those ingredients split four ways has that meal coming in at around 484 calories

what a great main meal of the day

The British get weird about other countries' bread but it's actually because UK bread is strange and they're not used to "real" bread

The default bread here is made with low-gluten flour by the chorleywood method, which involves creating a kind of aerated foam which is then baked, instead of a dough which is risen with yeast

So it's very consistent, doesn't readily crumb, and is much more neutral tasting than yeast breads

I watched a thing about this the other night. Yall invented the weird US sandwich bread we have that Continentals think is bizarre non food.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Rainbow carrots are good but the taste difference between them is like really mild

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    it is cool how 2/3 of this country is empty grassland but we burn down the rainforest to raise cattle for beef

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    (do any of you track your food costs closely such that you have an estimate of how much you usually spend per meal or per day or w-e)

now let’s talk about how asparagus has one flavor and that flavor is stinky pissboi

Organichu wrote: »
    (do any of you track your food costs closely such that you have an estimate of how much you usually spend per meal or per day or w-e)

i do at the moment since other than going out my entire diet is Huel and Freshly meals and a Little Caesar's pizza as a treat

This discussion has been closed.