As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The One Where [Chat] Eats A Soup Tube

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    it is cool how 2/3 of this country is empty grassland but we burn down the rainforest to raise cattle for beef

2/3 of the country is grassland that sucks at supporting cattle. Not an excuse for the latter but a big part of the former.

Feeding cattle in the great plains takes miles and miles of land.

Verse other parts of the states were it takes less land.

Also fuck cattle, raise bison instead.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    now let’s talk about how asparagus has one flavor and that flavor is stinky pissboi

i've been eating asparagus for 30 years. i've been pissing for 34. and i'm still somehow caught off guard and surprised, every first post-asparagus piss.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    now let’s talk about how asparagus has one flavor and that flavor is stinky pissboi

marinate asparagus in olive oil and a 1/2 & 1/2 mix of sangria and orange juice for a few hours and then grill it

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    are we trying to trick the euros into thinking we don't have vegetables

I'm just saying, here, carrots are like pineapples. there are probably varieties of pineapples, but I don't know what they are and I can't get them. You go to the store and just get "pineapple". you go to the store and the only thing available is "carrot".

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    Whenever I hear about corn, I think of that one shapkeep in Prequel who is obsessed with corn

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    (do any of you track your food costs closely such that you have an estimate of how much you usually spend per meal or per day or w-e)
    No. If I get too obsessive about food cost / meal planning it ends up triggering my disordered eating. I also stopped looking at it so much because I wouldn't blink twice before buying a video game but I would hem and haw and deliberate over a slightly pricey vegetable and it was unproductive. But I am also privileged enough to be able to do that now.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    (do any of you track your food costs closely such that you have an estimate of how much you usually spend per meal or per day or w-e)

I did that for three months, watching in resignation as the number kept going up because I was getting gradually lazier and buying more takeaways and lunches out

My best month was February, and it was about £206 for the month, but I've also got the benefit of a kitchen well-stocked with staples

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Hmm I wonder if white asparagus makes pee smell as bad. I never checked.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

For a while I was but it was pretty demoralizing and now I just track monthly groceries

We've got it down to just over 600 a month for two people, which I think is pretty decent

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    As cooking has become more of a hobby than pure necessity my cost per meal has gone way up, but at the same time I'm enjoying the process which makes the cost far less important since I'm not using that time/money on other things.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
    do we buy... name brand foods, or generic

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I was tracking until I started going to the office where I get free breakfast and lunch

Try this one trick to drop your food budget to $0

(I am perhaps increasing discomforted at the bubble I find myself in)

Tumin on
  • ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    i'm less tracking my meal costs currently as i'm just aware of my meal costs because the math is very simple

What is the presumed advantage of bison over cattle

Bison meat is a nice flavorful treat but it lacks the carefully tailored fat content that makes beef so good

Also what would we use as the French-inspired word for bison meat (pork, beef, poultry, all derived from French), crucial question

if i were making my own food i wouldn't feel very compelled to track the cost

generic except in the rare case where the name brand actually is different and better

I should probably start a food blog.

Or an instagram...or a tiktok.

Fuck it that all sounds like too much work.

I like to ART
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Yeah it's like $50

i have a deep fear of being laid off or my company folding and my tech dreams burning to the ground around me and me being poor again. so i have been perhaps too-fixated on budgeting.

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

We tend to be about ~500-600 a month for two folks.

Mostly we shop at Trader Joe's which is cheaper for a chunk of things.

And the rest is usually H-Mart. We splurge on fish/meat there though because it has cuts you don't get at most normal super markets.

u7stthr17eud.png

i have a deep fear of being laid off or my company folding and my tech dreams burning to the ground around me and me being poor again. so i have been perhaps too-fixated on budgeting.

i went through that but my housing costs so far exceed any other cost it felt like i was just torturing myself so instead i just put savings aside until i had a comfortable emergency fund

The annoying answer is: it depends

I try generics to see if you I tell the difference / care, and go from there

I go generic on carbs, for example - oats, sandwich bread, pasta etc., but I also know my local supermarket does good generic bread rolls

I'll also buy lower quality carrots because they're just going into sauces or being dipped in hummus

Depends on what it is.

Doodmann wrote: »

Do it.

i will steal copper wiring and sell my ass at kensington and allegheny before i ever buy any ketchup but heinz

• TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Name brand toilet paper for my squeamish butthole

My financial anxiety is that I will be renting until I'm dead

All of my friends have houses now, even though the market here has an average price of almost $800,000

Most of them have partners making good money, but one is a lawyer making excellent money who bought a house solo

• NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    Taste the rainbow carrots

• TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i think i spend about 150 a month on one person but i eat terribly and that's not counting takeaway

JebusUD wrote: »

Do it.

I have about 100 pictures of meals I've made over the last couple years, but they're all just shit from cookbooks and I definitely did not write down any of the thoughts/tips I had on the process.

I like to ART
  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i really dislike when you're sick and you have to drink lots of fluids

i just turn into a creature whose lifecycle is couch, bathroom, kitchen to pour more water, repeat.

someone get this woman a stillsuit!

• skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    JebusUD wrote: »

Do it.

I have about 100 pictures of meals I've made over the last couple years, but they're all just shit from cookbooks and I definitely did not write down any of the thoughts/tips I had on the process.

hmm how many compelling stories do you have about your nana's cooking or your trip to the french countryside

skippydumptruck on
    edited May 2022
    kyqcv1bw2h31.png

Like this is from the Texas government. 1 AU is a 1,000 lb cow.

In Texas alone it takes 2x the land per cow in a managed pasture between East Texas and the Pan Handle.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png

The annoying answer is: it depends

I try generics to see if you I tell the difference / care, and go from there

I go generic on carbs, for example - oats, sandwich bread, pasta etc., but I also know my local supermarket does good generic bread rolls

I'll also buy lower quality carrots because they're just going into sauces or being dipped in hummus

All my local store brand sandwich bread is bad. The bakery artisan stuff is good. Hyvee usually has good deals on the bakery stuff. Standard sandwich bread you're better off going for the regional bread.

All of my friends have houses now, even though the market here has an average price of almost $800,000

Most of them have partners making good money, but one is a lawyer making excellent money who bought a house solo

my roommates just bought a house with (literally) zero money down. part of me is jealous but also part of me is like- damn i'm glad i don't owe a bank 400k while i have no savings.

When I was a student I went generic for everything apart from condiments, as that what I was going to taste

Cheapest onions, eggs, and sausages that probably only had slightly more meat than my vegan ones now, but with good quality hot sauce

my roommates just bought a house with (literally) zero money down. part of me is jealous but also part of me is like- damn i'm glad i don't owe a bank 400k while i have no savings.

Isn't that very, uh, 2008ish

i've been buying a lot more convenience foods (prepackaged/precooked meat, preboiled eggs, prechopped/diced veggies etc) because the mental health has been bad and i'm trying to avoid takeout. it is more expensive than doing everything from scratch but- not nearly as more-expensive as i thought. economies of scale, i guess.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Mazz is that chart speaking to free range grazing specifically?

Cause like yeah, I agree with the numbers, but shit land can also just be cut and rolled for hay bales, which feed a cow just fine.

Like I'm not disagreeing with you, but something isn't adding up in my head.

edit: The backyard homestead, a book, states that 1 acre can sustain 1 cow plus a small homestead (200sqft or more of farm area, chickens, etc) and I imagine they're doing that with hay

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
This discussion has been closed.