As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Crypto and NFTs and associated garbage] Still can't figure out good uses for Blockchain

13468932

Posts

  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    In this case? Alt-right dumbasses.
    Are you implying that Seth Green only wants alt-right dumbasses responding to his request for help recovering NFTs?

    And all the people who don't know the true meaning of "frens" can... also respond to his request for help recovering NFTs, but ignorantly?

  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Archangle wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    In this case? Alt-right dumbasses.
    Are you implying that Seth Green only wants alt-right dumbasses responding to his request for help recovering NFTs?

    And all the people who don't know the true meaning of "frens" can... also respond to his request for help recovering NFTs, but ignorantly?

    I do feel like extremely online people jump a little too quickly on figuring out whatever the alt-right are co-opting next. Like I'm way behind on "frens" apparently.

    Moridin889Commander Zoomwebguy20BurtletoyjmcdonaldVishNubOrcaTofystedethredxAimGnome-InterruptusmRahmaniDark Raven XShadowhopeSleepAlexandierTuminKristmas KthulhuQanamilChiselphanejungleroomxElldrenJohnny ChopsockyEinzelButtersApogeeNeveronMortal SkyexisFiatilshryke
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    And I'm extremely online, too!

  • Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?

    It's just a metaphor used for describing something in shorthand, no need to be so pedantic when the details aren't a 100% perfect match.

    FYYss9j.png
    kimePhoenix-Dmarajidestroyah87monikeradytumTetraNitroCubaneGnome-InterruptusForarElvenshaeKnuckle DraggerFencingsaxRhesus PositiveRear Admiral ChocoFoolOnTheHillA Kobold's KoboldKristmas Kthulhujimb213jungleroomxElldrendurandal4532EinzelButtersApogeeNeveronShadowenJengoMagellshrykeKamarFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?
    One can know what a dogwhistle is and identify it without being part of the "in" group that it was intended for. This isn't some sort of foolproof spycraft shit, man. It's people who think they are being clever broadcasting shit to a target audience who also think that being part of the "in" group makes them clever. And most dogwhistles aren't "Hey, this is a secret code that we all agreed upon at the last Super Secret Meeting tee hee" (although sometimes this is literally the case when it comes to 4chan and QAnon sites)... it's just the way language evolves within cliques. They made "fetch" happen. Or "cheugy". Or whatever.

    I also did not make a big announcement over anything, so don't lump me in with the rest of the conversation. Sheesh. I feel like you are going hard in the paint on this one.

    EDIT: "I know what this means to a particular in-group" doesn't mean that you are part of that in-group, either. I know what a safety is in football, despite the fact that I've never played the game on any level.

    Hahnsoo1 on
    Di87pOF.jpg
    PSN: Hahnsoo | MH Rise: Hahnsoo, Switch FC: SW-0085-2679-5212
    marajiElvenshaeKristmas Kthulhudurandal4532
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?

    You're taking the metaphor too far.
    The dog part isn't supposed to be an insult or anything.

    And the kind of whistles we're talking about here aren't meant to actually be secret, known only to the in-group, they're meant to provide plausible deniability.

    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    kimemarajiKayne Red RobemonikerAimadytumGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeKnuckle DraggerIncenjucarFencingsaxFoolOnTheHillCaptain InertiaA Kobold's KoboldKristmas KthulhuElldrendurandal4532EinzelNeveronFiatil
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?

    A bystander that knows context. You can see that someone is blowing a dog whistle without needing to "hear" it. You also recognize it is happening by how the dogs respond differently when they blow it.

    As in, you know the correct definition of the word and use it in conversation without implying any of those connotations. The people you talk to also can't "hear" those connotations so they respond with the normal contextual understanding of the word. But you are also capable of recognizing that when certain people say the same word that the people they are talking to are responding with a completely different contextual, e.g, racist, etc, understanding of the word. That doesn't make you one of the "dogs", it makes you a person that just knows how a dog whistle functions.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    marajimonikerElvenshaeElldrenShadowen
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?
    One can know what a dogwhistle is and identify it without being part of the "in" group that it was intended for. This isn't some sort of foolproof spycraft shit, man. It's people who think they are being clever broadcasting shit to a target audience who also think that being part of the "in" group makes them clever. And most dogwhistles aren't "Hey, this is a secret code that we all agreed upon at the last Super Secret Meeting tee hee" (although sometimes this is literally the case when it comes to 4chan and QAnon sites)... it's just the way language evolves within cliques. They made "fetch" happen. Or "cheugy". Or whatever.

    I also did not make a big announcement over anything, so don't lump me in with the rest of the conversation. Sheesh. I feel like you are going hard in the paint on this one.

    EDIT: "I know what this means to a particular in-group" doesn't mean that you are part of that in-group, either. I know what a safety is in football, despite the fact that I've never played the game on any level.

    First off, I'll apologies in that that was more intended as a general "you", not you specifically. Used more to describe the situation in general, not to paint anything on you. Nor is the following intended to do so either. Just something to keep in mind when we realize how bloody imprecise the written word is when trying to determine tone. :)

    But to use your point of "people who think they are being clever", that is exactly how I would describe over 90% of everything that goes on. Including all of this. "These people think they're being so clever. But we're cleverer! We see and know what they're doing. That makes them dumb, and we're the truly smart ones!. It's really similar to the general problem of fascist propaganda (I think, the back of my mind is telling me I might have the wrong thing, but the point is coming in a sec). Where the enemy is both super smart and scary, yet pathetically dumb and weak at the same time. They're smart enough to use these secret codes to get past you... but they didn't get past you because you're a super smart cookie.

    And therein lies my whole problem with the term and why it's worthless now. Again to be super clear, I'll take you personally and everybody here at their word and in good faith. But in general and overall? I have seen way too many wannabe internet detectives who have watched one too many episodes of Sherlock and now think they can completely deduce a person's entire ideological belief from a single word. The term might have meant something once, but not anymore. Not to me at any rate.

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?

    You're taking the metaphor too far.
    The dog part isn't supposed to be an insult or anything.

    And the kind of whistles we're talking about here aren't meant to actually be secret, known only to the in-group, they're meant to provide plausible deniability.

    Google "Lee Atwater quote" (I cannot post it on this forum) for details on how this works.

    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    Gnome-InterruptusKnuckle DraggermonikerFencingsaxCaptain InertiamarajiMvrckshrykeVeagle
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.theblockcrypto.com/post/147046/defi-lender-left-with-35-million-bad-debt-after-quoting-depegged-stablecoins-at-1
    DeFi lending protocol Scream kept the price of two unpegged stablecoins hardcoded to $1 on its platform.

    Users borrowed other stablecoins on the cheap, leaving the DeFi lender with $35 million in bad debt.
    Scream, a DeFi lending protocol on Fantom, has incurred $35 million in bad debt after failing to adjust the price of two stablecoins that lost their US dollar peg.

    The two stablecoins in question are Fantom USD (fUSD) and Dei (DEI). Both coins still have a quoted price of $1, according to data from Scream’s dashboard. Yet they are trading well below peg. fUSD fell to as low as $0.69 while DEI fell to $0.52 at its lowest.

    Whales took advantage of this situation to deposit large amounts of FUSD and DEI at a discounted rate and drained all other stablecoins from the Scream platform. Stablecoins like Fantom USDT, FRAX, DAI, MIM, and USDC have all been siphoned off from the platform.
    Scream responded to the issue with an announcement stating that it was seeking a solution to the bad debt in conjunction with the Fantom Foundation. This workaround will involve liquidating all fUSD loans currently underwater.

    With fUSD depegged, Scream says it will hardcode the stablecoin’s price to $0.81. This solution could also liquidate other users whose positions were not previously at risk of liquidation.
    Hardcoded to $1.

    What.

    So this is a real thing that could actually happen.

    electricitylikesmeJragghenAntinumericRMS OceanicRhesus PositiveDark Raven XBlackDragon480ApogeeGnome-Interruptus
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Only on that exchange. If they did that (and everyone else thought the coin had value) the other exchanges would immediately all go "Ok we'll take all that worthless stuff off your hard drives then.."

    maraji
  • Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?
    One can know what a dogwhistle is and identify it without being part of the "in" group that it was intended for. This isn't some sort of foolproof spycraft shit, man. It's people who think they are being clever broadcasting shit to a target audience who also think that being part of the "in" group makes them clever. And most dogwhistles aren't "Hey, this is a secret code that we all agreed upon at the last Super Secret Meeting tee hee" (although sometimes this is literally the case when it comes to 4chan and QAnon sites)... it's just the way language evolves within cliques. They made "fetch" happen. Or "cheugy". Or whatever.

    I also did not make a big announcement over anything, so don't lump me in with the rest of the conversation. Sheesh. I feel like you are going hard in the paint on this one.

    EDIT: "I know what this means to a particular in-group" doesn't mean that you are part of that in-group, either. I know what a safety is in football, despite the fact that I've never played the game on any level.

    First off, I'll apologies in that that was more intended as a general "you", not you specifically. Used more to describe the situation in general, not to paint anything on you. Nor is the following intended to do so either. Just something to keep in mind when we realize how bloody imprecise the written word is when trying to determine tone. :)

    But to use your point of "people who think they are being clever", that is exactly how I would describe over 90% of everything that goes on. Including all of this. "These people think they're being so clever. But we're cleverer! We see and know what they're doing. That makes them dumb, and we're the truly smart ones!. It's really similar to the general problem of fascist propaganda (I think, the back of my mind is telling me I might have the wrong thing, but the point is coming in a sec). Where the enemy is both super smart and scary, yet pathetically dumb and weak at the same time. They're smart enough to use these secret codes to get past you... but they didn't get past you because you're a super smart cookie.

    And therein lies my whole problem with the term and why it's worthless now. Again to be super clear, I'll take you personally and everybody here at their word and in good faith. But in general and overall? I have seen way too many wannabe internet detectives who have watched one too many episodes of Sherlock and now think they can completely deduce a person's entire ideological belief from a single word. The term might have meant something once, but not anymore. Not to me at any rate.

    It's not that they are super smart; it's that they are assholes who think they're being clever. When I go into a Reddit thread about the Holocaust, and see someone with a name like edit: making thinly veiled, Antisemitic jokes, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out what's going on. About half of them still try to play innocent.

    Knuckle Dragger on
    I'd rather be led by a comedian than ruled by a joke.
    Shadowhopedurandal4532SpoitShadowen
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Also the alt right of 4chan loves creating new dog whistles and throwing them against the online wall, to see what sticks. They win if it’s used by the broader alt right, and they win if the left figures it out and starts scrutinizing anyone who uses that term, such as the OK hand signal, because trolling is just as fun.

    FencingsaxShadowhopeCaptain InertiajmcdonaldelectricitylikesmeGiantGeek2020ForarElvenshaeMoridin889Knuckle DraggerElldrenmarajikimeEinzelCommander ZoomMorganVGnome-InterruptusNeveronMvrckMunkus BeaverShadowenVeagle
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    They also like taking left wing slogans and repurposing them. For example, “my body, my choice” became an anti-mask, anti-vaccine rallying cry. And “the cruelty is the point” is now being used to complain about (checks notes) (wtf?) Biden supporting bike lanes.

    Shadowhope on
    Remember, safety is everyone's concern. We have gone five days without a workplace death.
    FencingsaxKnuckle DraggerElldrenSpoitMunkus BeaverShadowenDark Raven XCelestialBadger
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    I think dogwhistles are stupid and using them inappropriately undercuts their power

    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Also the alt right of 4chan loves creating new dog whistles and throwing them against the online wall, to see what sticks. They win if it’s used by the broader alt right, and they win if the left figures it out and starts scrutinizing anyone who uses that term, such as the OK hand signal, because trolling is just as fun.

    There is a very significant development process here where 4chan alt-right create sock puppet accounts on reddit and begin trying to control the narrative there: there's a number of subreddits which routinely get very specific content aggressively upvoted so it makes it to the front page which all has the same couple of themes.

    Fencingsax
  • HydropoloHydropolo Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    something a lot of people forget when describing dogwhistles is that the reason they're dogwhistles is they're totally normal things to say

    Like many phrases that have been overplayed to hell and back, the term "dogwhistle" to me now means absolutely jack shit.

    Like maybe somebody can answer this riddle I've been wondering for a while now. When you say the term dogwhistle... who exactly is the "dog" in this scenario?

    An actual dog whistle (as in, the physical object) is a whistle that plays a pitch so high that it can only be heard by dogs (and occasionally, children who have not lost their high frequency hearing). So when you blow on a dog whistle, you either hear nothing or just a feeling of “pressure”.

    The idea behind the modern term dogwhistle is a term that is innocuous at first glance (usually something in common use already), but signifies something else for an “in” group. It’s code language that hides in plain sight, and usually broadcast to mass groups. It varies from shibboleths and other codes like secret handshakes in subtle ways, but the big one is that it is something that is said over a broadcast.

    In this particular case, it’s using “frens”, an innocuous Internet slang term for “my fellow man” as a derivative of “friends”, as a dogwhistle to signal “hey, alt-right buds, I am one of you”. Sometimes, dogwhistles also require context because they are innocuous and thus can be used innocently.

    So the "dog" is "them". "They" are the ones who hear it because they're in on it.

    But you heard it. You made a big announcement over it! "That's a dog whistle! I hear that! Dog whistle being blown!".

    That makes *you* the dog. I mean, what else do you call someone who is "clearly" hearing this dog whistle?

    So I'll ask again and be more clear. Who is the dog? Is it you? Because I have no doubt you'd probably recoil and get angry if I did call you the dog in this. But by all definitions of the term, and of what an actual physical dog whistle is... what else are you when you announce you hear it?
    One can know what a dogwhistle is and identify it without being part of the "in" group that it was intended for. This isn't some sort of foolproof spycraft shit, man. It's people who think they are being clever broadcasting shit to a target audience who also think that being part of the "in" group makes them clever. And most dogwhistles aren't "Hey, this is a secret code that we all agreed upon at the last Super Secret Meeting tee hee" (although sometimes this is literally the case when it comes to 4chan and QAnon sites)... it's just the way language evolves within cliques. They made "fetch" happen. Or "cheugy". Or whatever.

    I also did not make a big announcement over anything, so don't lump me in with the rest of the conversation. Sheesh. I feel like you are going hard in the paint on this one.

    EDIT: "I know what this means to a particular in-group" doesn't mean that you are part of that in-group, either. I know what a safety is in football, despite the fact that I've never played the game on any level.

    First off, I'll apologies in that that was more intended as a general "you", not you specifically. Used more to describe the situation in general, not to paint anything on you. Nor is the following intended to do so either. Just something to keep in mind when we realize how bloody imprecise the written word is when trying to determine tone. :)

    But to use your point of "people who think they are being clever", that is exactly how I would describe over 90% of everything that goes on. Including all of this. "These people think they're being so clever. But we're cleverer! We see and know what they're doing. That makes them dumb, and we're the truly smart ones!. It's really similar to the general problem of fascist propaganda (I think, the back of my mind is telling me I might have the wrong thing, but the point is coming in a sec). Where the enemy is both super smart and scary, yet pathetically dumb and weak at the same time. They're smart enough to use these secret codes to get past you... but they didn't get past you because you're a super smart cookie.

    And therein lies my whole problem with the term and why it's worthless now. Again to be super clear, I'll take you personally and everybody here at their word and in good faith. But in general and overall? I have seen way too many wannabe internet detectives who have watched one too many episodes of Sherlock and now think they can completely deduce a person's entire ideological belief from a single word. The term might have meant something once, but not anymore. Not to me at any rate.

    Man, wait until you learn about other commonly accepted political terms like "red meat for the base" and "pork barrel" and such.

    To expand upon what has been said here, a dog whistle isn't meant to get "past" people who are actively into politics. The layperson whose major interaction is the 7 o'clock news or a few rounds down at the pub? Absolutely.

    These things are shorthand for us to be able to ID, discuss, and process the kinds of tactics used by various people. Rarely does it have to do with cleverness.

    rahkeesh2000Elldrendurandal4532marajiFencingsaxShadowenCelestialBadger
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    edited May 18
    maraji wrote: »
    DeFi lending protocol Scream kept the price of two unpegged stablecoins hardcoded to $1 on its platform.
    With fUSD depegged, Scream says it will hardcode the stablecoin’s price to $0.81. This solution could also liquidate other users whose positions were not previously at risk of liquidation.

    Wait wait wait wait….

    They put in a constant value for a not-so-stable coin and got pantsed. Okay, they’re cryptobros, got it.

    But their solution was to just change the constant?!

    You just do it!


    Chiselphane on
    marajiBlackDragon480ElvenshaesarukunCommander ZoomMorganVApogeeMunkus Beaver
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Only on that exchange. If they did that (and everyone else thought the coin had value) the other exchanges would immediately all go "Ok we'll take all that worthless stuff off your hard drives then.."

    That almost makes sense to me, but it still seems like it only works if you do not allow the currency to change hands outside of that exchange. I’m probably missing something here.

  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Only on that exchange. If they did that (and everyone else thought the coin had value) the other exchanges would immediately all go "Ok we'll take all that worthless stuff off your hard drives then.."

    That almost makes sense to me, but it still seems like it only works if you do not allow the currency to change hands outside of that exchange. I’m probably missing something here.

    Move $1000 of dollars/Bitcoin/etc into exchange A. Purchase Fantom at market price of $0.52 to get 1923 coins. Transfer that Fantom to exchange B that is buying and selling Fantom at a fixed $1. Sell Fantom for $1923 in value. Purchase any other coins on exchange B for that value and transfer them out of the exchange. Exchange B has now lost $923 in assets ($1923 in other coin went out the door, they can only recover $1000 selling their Fantom) while trader basically doubled their "money".

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Only on that exchange. If they did that (and everyone else thought the coin had value) the other exchanges would immediately all go "Ok we'll take all that worthless stuff off your hard drives then.."

    That almost makes sense to me, but it still seems like it only works if you do not allow the currency to change hands outside of that exchange. I’m probably missing something here.

    Move $1000 of dollars/Bitcoin/etc into exchange A. Purchase Fantom at market price of $0.52 to get 1923 coins. Transfer that Fantom to exchange B that is buying and selling Fantom at a fixed $1. Sell Fantom for $1923 in value. Purchase any other coins on exchange B for that value and transfer them out of the exchange. Exchange B has now lost $923 in assets ($1923 in other coin went out the door, they can only recover $1000 selling their Fantom) while trader basically doubled their "money".

    Right, that’s how they lost money. Now how does setting the value to 81% of the previous peg on one exchange fix anything?

  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    maraji wrote: »
    maraji wrote: »
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Only on that exchange. If they did that (and everyone else thought the coin had value) the other exchanges would immediately all go "Ok we'll take all that worthless stuff off your hard drives then.."

    That almost makes sense to me, but it still seems like it only works if you do not allow the currency to change hands outside of that exchange. I’m probably missing something here.

    Move $1000 of dollars/Bitcoin/etc into exchange A. Purchase Fantom at market price of $0.52 to get 1923 coins. Transfer that Fantom to exchange B that is buying and selling Fantom at a fixed $1. Sell Fantom for $1923 in value. Purchase any other coins on exchange B for that value and transfer them out of the exchange. Exchange B has now lost $923 in assets ($1923 in other coin went out the door, they can only recover $1000 selling their Fantom) while trader basically doubled their "money".

    Right, that’s how they lost money. Now how does setting the value to 81% of the previous peg on one exchange fix anything?

    You can't fix stupid.

    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    PreacherQuidElvenshaeBurtletoyMoridin889marajiMarty81AiouaAegeriT-boltdurandal4532A Kobold's KoboldReynoldsFencingsaxRhesus PositiveelectricitylikesmeNeveronGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptusPenumbraMatevMagellshryke
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    You can't steal their money anymore because they don't have any money

    marajidiscriderFencingsaxRhesus PositiveShadowenGnome-InterruptusMatevMegaMan001
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

    Unfortunately due to a vastly uneven ratio of men to women who signed up for our waitlist, we have decided to put the BAYC dating app on hold indefinitely.
    Too many bros!

    We sincerely appreciate your interest and support.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    sanstodoBurtletoyStabbity StylekimeTetraNitroCubaneMechMantisMvrckKnuckle DraggerCristovalEtiowsaFencingsaxRhesus PositiveKristmas KthulhuelectricitylikesmeShadowenAntinumericDark Raven XDoctor DetroitVishNubDouglasDangerGrudgeGiantGeek2020ChiselphaneGnome-InterruptusElvenshaeTofystedethVahraanPenumbramarajizagdrobFoolOnTheHillMatevSoggybiscuitApogeeStarZapperMoridin889BigPointyTeethButtersNiryaKamarArdolhanzoNyysjanBandable
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Ahahahahahaha!

    Kayne Red RobeTomantaOrcakimeTetraNitroCubaneMvrckEtiowsaFencingsaxKristmas KthulhuelectricitylikesmeShadowenDoctor DetroitDouglasDangerGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptusElvenshaeTofystedethEinzelPenumbramarajizagdrobFoolOnTheHillMatevStarZapperButtersNiryaKamarKipling217ArdolBandable
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Imagine they couldn't even get enough women to fake having more. Like even they knew the scam would fail when like 1000 horny dudes all tried to mack on the same stolen porn photo profile.

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
    Dark_SideElldrenkimeMillCristovalFencingsaxRhesus PositiveKristmas KthulhuShadowenGiantGeek2020ElvenshaeTofystedethzagdrobFoolOnTheHillMatevMoridin889Butters
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Imagine they couldn't even get enough women to fake having more. Like even they knew the scam would fail when like 1000 horny dudes all tried to mack on the same stolen porn photo profile.

    Wildly out of whack gender populations never stopped any of the dating sites before, so you know it must have been bad. Like 0 actual real women bad.

    PreacherCommander ZoomOrcakimeGaddezCristovaleMoanderFencingsaxRhesus PositiveQuidKristmas KthulhuShadowenGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptusBlackDragon480ElvenshaeTofystedethEinzelA Kobold's KoboldmarajiDiannaoChongzagdrobFoolOnTheHillMatevshrykeMoridin889Flying Couch
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Imagine they couldn't even get enough women to fake having more. Like even they knew the scam would fail when like 1000 horny dudes all tried to mack on the same stolen porn photo profile.

    Wildly out of whack gender populations never stopped any of the dating sites before, so you know it must have been bad. Like 0 actual real women bad.

    Yeah that was my thought, like going in this was a huge scam like a lot of other genre specific dating sites. Get some horny on main dudes to give you their demo information sell that make money, but they were like "whoa even these dick in hand morons would hang us from the ring ropes with this bad of ratios."

    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

    pleasepaypreacher.net
    Dark_Side
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Why didn't they just make it dumbass grindr?

    nr2rekwxi4nc.png
    MechMantisElldren
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Imagine they couldn't even get enough women to fake having more. Like even they knew the scam would fail when like 1000 horny dudes all tried to mack on the same stolen Ape photo profile.

    Much more likely.

  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So did they already take peoples' money for this, or did they bail out before that stage?

  • evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    So did they already take peoples' money for this, or did they bail out before that stage?

    This is one of those "you have to own a NFT to participate" things. From a quick check, for the waitlist stage you had to provide your email, gender, and NFT wallet address. (This is public information, so it's not an obvious scam, but the anonymous nature of crypto does mean I don't see anything that keeps you from signing up with someone else's wallet address. It also means that the people involved now have data matching wallet addresses to email addresses.)

    One of the proposed features of the app is that you could filter potential matches by net worth of cryptocurrency/NFTs.

    Captain InertiaElvenshaeTofystedethPreacherwebguy20marajiDarkPrimusMoridin889Elldren
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Ah, so that would have kept out all of the fake profiles that exist on regular dating sites - ironically, that exist to get you to sign up to crypto and Forex exchanges

    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    Captain InertiaFencingsaxGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptusBlackDragon480ElvenshaeTofystedethPreacherMunkus BeaverMoridin889
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The women of the world could crowdfund buying that data to create a black list to circulate to every other dating app.

    MhCw7nZ.gif
    Rhesus PositiveStabbity StyleMechMantisShadowenDark Raven XFencingsaxGiantGeek2020ElvenshaeTofystedethPreachersarukunMunkus BeaverA Kobold's KoboldmarajiSleepGaddezDark_SideknitdankimeMoridin889AimButtersNyysjan
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    The women of the world could crowdfund buying that data to create a black list to circulate to every other dating app.

    Or like, law enforcement

    steam_sig.png
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    The women of the world could crowdfund buying that data to create a black list to circulate to every other dating app.

    Or like, law enforcement

    In an ideal world there isn't enough evidence to convict because we don't give these people an opportunity to commit crimes.

  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Why are there so many of these "stablecoins"? If they only purpose they serve is to be worth a dollar it doesn't seem like there's a lot of need for a bajillion of them.

    Fraud. So... debt is money in a very real sense. You can think of a dollar as a debt that society owes the person who owns the dollar. You can do a similar thing by making a loan if that loan is tradable. If i loan you $1 then i could theoretically sell that loan to someone else for a dollar. (or stuff). All this is generally well and good. So long as the loan is legitimate and the company that is selling the loan is honest about what the loan is there isn't much an issue. This is, effectively, the business that banks do. They make long term loans and they take short term loans. Many times they will trade those loans among themselves, for various reasons. (usually liquidity)

    But a coin isn't well defined in this sense. Rather than saying "this is a loan and here is who its from and its terms" its "this is a currency which is managed to a set price". I.E. a stablecoin lets you act as a wildcat bank. Rather than making long term loans and taking short term loans you take long term loans* and issue currency(I.E. super short term debt). As the owner of a stablecoin you can create liquidity out of thin air. This of course is a very bad idea for society. But its a great idea if you plan to take the money and run. Any change in asset valuation UP lets you issue a bunch more currency... and buy stuff with it. Or pay out that increased value in salary and bonuses due to all the "profit" you're making. A change in asset valuation down will very quickly make you insolvent and cause a bank run. Oops we spent all the surplus value on salary and bonuses because we were making so much money. We're out now, too bad the currency is worth nothing, bye. Don't worry our next stablecoin will be very secure.



    *You aren't actually making long term loans you're making immediate term loans of non-liquid assets. It would be as if i gave you promissory note in exchange for your million dollar house such that you could, whenever you wanted, return the note and get $1,000,000. If the value of the house goes up. NBD, i can sell it and cover. If the value of the house goes down...

    wbBv3fj.png
    Just_Bri_ThanksFencingsaxmonikerBlackDragon480ElvenshaeA Kobold's KoboldmarajishrykeDark_Side
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    ...

    Stablecoins exist because crypto is so volatile that the 'investors' want somewhere safe to store their 'money' to lock in 'value'.
    Without having to take the money out of the system and get subjected to capital gains tax or transaction fees.

    That they are probably also scams comes with being crypto.

    Gnome-InterruptusElvenshaeShadowhopeNeveronStabbity StyleCommander ZoomA Kobold's KoboldQuidEtiowsashrykeMoridin889Kristmas Kthulhu
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    ...

    Stablecoins exist because crypto is so volatile that the 'investors' want somewhere safe to store their 'money' to lock in 'value'.
    Without having to take the money out of the system and get subjected to capital gains tax or transaction fees.

    That they are probably also scams comes with being crypto.

    BlackDragon480marajielectricitylikesmeElldren
Sign In or Register to comment.