As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[V Rising] a new Vampire aRPG / Crafting / Survival game -- Major Update 05/17/23

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Weapon swapping is instant and they give you plenty of hotbar space. No reason to not use them all as needed. Different strats for different encounters.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that you don't get access to the full weapon toolkit until you hit iron tier, and the special abilities for each weapon definitely have an impact on how you play. You also get two new weapons at iron tier which I really enjoy playing with :)

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    I killed 3 more bosses tonight, got a bit more tech and abilities. I love the progression in this game.

And I love that when you're on the hunt for a specific boss, it only gives you a general direction, and not a map marker. It encourages exploration and adventure on the way. Two of the three bosses were random encounters on my way to the third. It was awesome.

• Options
    asofyeunasofyeun Registered User regular
    I wish I could send servants to go fishing for me instead of having to do it myself

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    I wish I could send servants to go fishing for me instead of having to do it myself

Raid Mosswick Village.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    But I need the fish to feed my prisoners

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    asofyeun wrote: »
    But I need the fish to feed my prisoners

XMM0jdr.jpg

Unless I am grossly misunderstanding what it means by fresh fish, sending your minions to Mosswick will get you fish to feed your prisoners.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    Oo, I missed that, thanks

Well now I have to farm up a bunch of equipment for my minions

• Options
    I wish the enemy leash range was a little longer or it was more clear when it was about to happen. Fighting a boss for several minutes and then having the boss full reset because you crossed some invisible line feels bad, especially when you have to just chunk your blood buff to regen health and try again.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    God Tristan the Vampire Hunter is my fucking nemesis, I just can't get close to downing him solo and I can't reasonably outgear him without killing him first. He just does so much damage so quickly that I make a mistake and just get decimated. And then I have to go back to base and track him again because god knows where he'll be next after I get all the way back to my corpse in the middle of nowhere, and track down a reasonable blood donor to try the fight again. Just ugh.

Edit: Got him, finally. No more unsullied heart scrounging for this guy!

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, he is a spicy meatball to have to try and solo. Got to get real good at dodging. I tend to run brute blood for the healing, it's not much, but every little bit helps.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Normally these games are boring to me, but I've been watching some streams of this one given the lack of the often compared Legacy of Kain and this one looks pretty interesting.

Big question though - does it have decent controller support? BEcause it doesn't look like something I'd want to play with mouse and keyboard.

• Options
    Zero official controller support, there some unofficial controller support things out there though (such as this) but I'm not sure how good they are

• Options
    I do not believe it has any controller support at all right now. Hopefully they add that. It plays like Hades does for combat, and Hades definitely feels better on a controller than on a mouse and keyboard.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    I love everything I'm seeing but gotta wait for them to implement gamepad control. ;_;

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Yeah that's where I'm at. Looks like a solid Deck title as well, so hopefully they get on gamepad support.

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    This game would ROCK with controller support! The main movement, view, and firing controls were practically made for a twin stick shooter. And there's only a hndful of actual buttons your use with any regularity so it would map nicely onto a controller. Alas.... :frowning:

26904.png
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    After about 10 hours of this game, i can say i have zero regrets of buying it.
    Playing solo, no interest in pvp nor in trying to find group to team up with, so just slowly working my way up the tech tree and building my castle.

I like the day/night cycle in theory, but now i am wishing i had taken the longer cycle because i have so little time to do anything until i have to find shade.
    Might decide to edit the server file to change that (can do that for private servers it seems), possible also buff my damage done and nerf damage taken.
    Or not, will see if how far i can get with the settings i have first.

• Options
    I believe there is gear that you can craft that helps offset the day cycle. I don't have it myself, but someone mentioned it in a video review. Wish I could provide more info than that. All I know is that something exists that should help with it.

• Options
    There is a cloak that gives sun resistance, i have it.
    Might be better versions later.
    Sun is not actually that bad in this game, it is annoying, but as long as you are not fighting, it is fairly easy to run from shadow to shadow in wolf form.

• Options
    Unless there's crazy stuff I have not seen, the later cloaks do not improve on the sun resistance, they just add resistance to further things. There are potions for sun resist though.

• Options

1 million copies in 7 days. Pretty bonkers :)

• Options
    Theres an alternate universe where VTM:B 2 actually got released and its ushering in the golden age of vampire games along with this.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pleather sales go through the roof, it'd be like the matrix days all over again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Funny how vampires are back, but Bloodlines has nothing to do with it.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well there is that shitty slapdash BR bloodlines game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Bloodhunt, sadly. It definitely got my hopes up seeing it on my steam friendslist! It truncated the "hunt" part, but alas it was not actually a surprise Bloodlines resurgence.

But I did watch a twitch streamer with 12k viewers play Bloodlines today, and he says playing Bloodhunt is what lead him to that. It's something at least!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I guess what I meant is vampires as a concept are back. That's 3 games within a fairly short time frame. It's like the industry just collectively decided it was ready and then voilà, 3 new vampire games.

We've got Bloodhunt, which I've played. It isn't bad, but PVP in-general isn't my thing, and specifically BR is not my thing even more than normal PVP. But then we also have Vampire Survivors and now V Rising. Both of the latter two are definitely my jam.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I wish there was another movement ability. I feel sometimes when I'm alone fighting a boss, I'll use my weapon lunge, then my dodge, but everything is still on cooldown and I'm then left lamely just sidling backwards with no active move.

Dodge cooldown needs to be cut by about 33% I reckon.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Agreed.
    Playing solo, and the main difficulty with bosses is simply trying to avoid their attacks, so either i am playing super defensively which takes time, or i take stupid risks trying to avoid sun coming up and die when a boss manages to combo almost half my health off in seconds.

Although i would go as far as halving the cooldowns in general, and maybe a slight boos of movement speed.

And/or give people playing on solo mode or private servers the ability to change the server ruleset on the fly, that would work as well.

• Options
    edited May 2022
  • Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I mean I get the basic sentiment, they're in EA and have a lot of priorities that are higher than controller support. It's just weird not to say something like "we'd like to add controller support eventually but don't have immediate plans for it." Why be so dismissive?

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    It seems fairly inevitable that this gets ported to console at some point. Even if it wasn't in their initial plans, when you sell so much in such a short time it just always seems to happen now-a-days. I bet controller support happens at some point because of that at the very least, but yeah I guess not anywhere in the near future.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

I mean I get the basic sentiment, they're in EA and have a lot of priorities that are higher than controller support. It's just weird not to say something like "we'd like to add controller support eventually but don't have immediate plans for it." Why be so dismissive?
    This is where I'm at.

It just comes across abit alienating.

I can't play games like this without a gamepad due to issues with my hands cramping up like crazy on keyboard. Thankfully not really an issue in stuff like CRPGs where things are pretty slow and laidback and you can be pretty hands off with stuff like click to move but action stuff is a no go with KBM for me.

They don't have to have it now but ruling it out hard like that is a gut punch.

Dr. Chaos on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I loved the idea of the concept of this game but playing it is even better.

Some issues like always online and easier ways to tweak your game (I'll probably look how to edit the file/console commands) are a bummer but it's been remarkably solid. It's a bummer about the controller support and hope it comes out some day but at least part of the game right now seems to be quick manipulation of the camera so it'd be hard for me to play that way. But with the limited skill set it reminds me of Victor Vran which played wonderfully on controller.

Running around feasting on humies as @CorriganX @Jeix @Malakaius and I establish our dark domain is just such a fun time.

Going to the Dunley farms after mostly subduing the bandit faction and promptly getting my ass handed to me from torchbearers and fire arrows? Delicious

neffhi714qxr.png

10/10 would go crispy in sunlight by accident again.

Also sharing a name with a vampire hunter makes our discord conversations often hilarious.

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    I wish there were persistent characters like in Valheim; default settings are just wayyyy too much of a grind, so going to have to start from scratch

• Options
    Zavian wrote: »
    I wish there were persistent characters like in Valheim; default settings are just wayyyy too much of a grind, so going to have to start from scratch

I think it's probably something worth them exploring down the road, but given the way their game is currently set up with per-server customizations (even just pve vs. pvp) allowing people to carry their progression would be problematic without giving serious thought about potential restrictions.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Hello fellow vampires. I just saw this thread after posting in the Steam thread.

If anyone is interested, I fired up a private PvE server via G-Portal. I've been playing solo with a couple other friends on the server, and any of you awesome PA folk are welcomed to join.

As we played this last week, we've tweaked a few things to try to make it more solo friendly. Blood drops are 1.5x, loot drops are 2x, resource drops are 3x. Blood drain for your character and castle are at 50%, and durability drain is also 50%.

I reduced mob health by 25% (including V bloods). Player health and power/spellpower is increased 25%, too. We wanted to make it a touch easier for us old guys to stand up to some of the boss battles. Subject to change if the game feels too easy.

I also gave us an extra couple hours of daylight, an hour on either side. Crafting/Refining is 2x. Converting minions is also 2x.

Only rules for the server are: Be Kind. Play like you're posting here. Don't be a goose. People are more important than pixels.

Feel free to PM me and I'll share the IP and password.

• Options
    Minor design oversight i noticed.
    Sending minions on missions timer is dependent on server time, which does not advance if it is your solo instance and you are not playing.

Also i have found no way to delete the recently played on server list in game.
    Which is something i find very annoying.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

I think it's probably something worth them exploring down the road, but given the way their game is currently set up with per-server customizations (even just pve vs. pvp) allowing people to carry their progression would be problematic without giving serious thought about potential restrictions.

They should just always allow you to move to servers which are easier enemies/more stuff and not backwards.

Honestly I think they need to do a bit of work on single player features, action movement and itemization. There's a severe shortage of ways to look, you spend too much time standing still, and there are lots of features which assume you will have buddies or an always on server. It's a lot of fun, but it needs some more structures in the game. More human villages or something, places for you to rule over as a vampire count, and a bit more map dynamics. I like the factions (undead, animals, bandits) fighting each other, we shoild have more of that.

Perhaps some different ways of being a vampire, violence, spooky, glamor etc.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln