As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Citizen | SQ42

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited May 2022 in Games and Technology
Penny Arcade Fleet Spreadsheet (Top Secret)

Unofficial Discord

http://share.gifyoutube.com/KrWR38.gif

Star Citizen is Chris Roberts' new game. Chris Roberts is the guy behind Wing Commander, Starlancer, and Freelancer. He had huge ambitions for Freelancer and the game was completely failing to get made so Microsoft kicked him out and got the game done without him. That cannot happen with Star Citizen, because he is self-publishing it based on money people spend on spaceships, so likely the game will never get finished. The single player campaign is called "Squadron 42" and the plan was for that to have come out many years ago, so chances are that will never get finished either.

The ambitions are very high: Star Citizen is an open world MMO where you play as the pilot, rather than the ship, meaning everything from docking stations to cargo to medical evacuations to mining to piracy to bounty hunting to transportation to planet colonization to system exploration is all entirely simulated and immersive.

TychoCelchuuu on
«134

Posts

  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Ok, so I guess we should start the new thread with the most significant thing in the last couple of days; the "Letter from the Chairman", a.k.a, Chris Roberts says things:

    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18696-Letter-From-The-Chairman

    This is a lot of words and a lot of info to unpack. There are many videos out there summarizing this info in easy-to-understand language, and here is one of them:

    If even that is TLDR, here are the bullet points as I understand it:
    1. We are actually, for really reals, starting to approach the point where server meshing might be happening soon(tm) as in maybe this year, yay!
    2. In order for server meshing to happen, we first need Persistent Entity Streaming (PES), the pre-requisites for which were part of 3.17 (the current patch)
    3. PES is the "leave a coffee cup on a mountain and it will still be there tomorrow" tech. With it in place, your stuff will come with you wherever you go, whether you left it in your own ship, or under a random tree somewhere.
    4. This is, unsurprisingly, complicated as fuck, and will take a lot of testing to get right. CIG are anticipating a 3-6 month testing period.
    5. It didn't make sense to build the upcoming headline features of 3.18, the cargo refactor and hull stripping salvage, without PES in mind, so they're instead going to take the extra time to make them work with PES from the get go
    6. To make up for the fact that this will push 3.18 back significantly, there will be an additional "content rich" patch, 3.17.2, containing "missions, locations and gameplay" but no new tech
    7. Once PES is in place, hopefully this year, they will immediately begin work on 4.0, which will be "The Server Meshing Patch"
    8. This will hopefully enter Evocati testing this year, but there is a strong possibility that it will be pushed back to early next year given the complexities of the tech.
    9. The initial release of server meshing will see the current single dedicated game servers (DGS) replaced with "shards" of four DGS backed by a replication layer. This will include the new Pyro system, but no word on how exactly the the four DGS cluster will divide resources between the two systems
    10. No in-person CitizenCon this year, just a few online panels like last year
    11. Any mention of Squadron 42 is conspicuously absent, I guess they're very busy working on simulating bed sheets

    So yeah, exciting news, but ultimately boils down to "good things soon maybe, please be patient a bit longer".

    Mr Ray on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022

    Who's CaseyB


    3.17 PTU Team LowFly without desync !

    DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    There is supposedly a pretty cool combat event that is running simultaneously to the Invictus Week stuff. It sounds as if it's some sort of FPS mission that takes place on one of the many extra platforms of Crusader that are usually just unused space.

  • quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    The in game event Invitcus 2952 starts today and runs through May 31st. Star Citizen is free to download and play during this event. Each day will feature a different set of ships to fly for free with the last two days having all the ships featured in the event free to fly.

    Become a Star Citizen
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular


    It's awesome the this is an officially recognized course. I like watching the amateur racing leagues that have popped up.

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    HappylilElf
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »


    It's awesome the this is an officially recognized course. I like watching the amateur racing leagues that have popped up.

    Guerilla racing leagues might actually get me interested in something as tedious as racing.

    You get an invitation, the race organizers arrive at the location ahead of time and have to surreptitiously set up a race course, the pilots show up, and you have to run the race before the fuzz shows up to spoil the fun. Anybody can bail at any time, but only people who complete the course can win, even if it means cops on their ass when they cross the finish line.

    Just_Bri_ThanksGnome-Interruptus
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    @Ninja Snarl P


    They could have someone show up to act like the Fuzz

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Thanks to everybody who provided info on the server meshing tech last thread - I think some of my confusion had to do with misunderstanding the goals.

    Basically, I thought the goal was to functionally erase the existence of shards, giving players the impression of a single shared universe in every way. Like, regardless of shard, every thing every player did that conceivably affected another player/the universe would be shared in full, in real time.

    I had a hard time understanding how dynamically scaling servers would address the logistical problems with that if the engine had any hard cap on players. If anything, it seemed like another potential obstacle.

    In reality, it seems like the most concrete information they’ve given implies that the larger universe/server network will share some features, like some kind of economy, stored items, and the appearance of more players than a single shard can handle (if the individual player’s hardware can handle it). But it sounds like you’re not going to be having cross-shard combat, from what I’m gathering. The examples they gave were essentially that a bullet fired by a player isn’t crossing server nodes (a distinction I’m still struggling with), and larger weapons like missiles will be bound to specific servers.

    I’m sure I messed some of that up, but nonetheless I think the info ya’ll gave clarified where they’re willing to fudge things in acknowledgment of reality, which helps me understand what they’re actually working on.

    OneAngryPossum on
  • Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Yeah, they're still not sure exactly how big the eventual shards will be, the goal is "As big as possible" but a single shared instance was never a goal. That said, with the replication layer working as it does, moving your stuff from one shard to another should be pretty seamless.

    OneAngryPossumGiantGeek2020
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Ok, so I guess we should start the new thread with the most significant thing in the last couple of days; the "Letter from the Chairman", a.k.a, Chris Roberts says things:

    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/18696-Letter-From-The-Chairman

    This is a lot of words and a lot of info to unpack. There are many videos out there summarizing this info in easy-to-understand language, and here is one of them:

    If even that is TLDR, here are the bullet points as I understand it:
    1. We are actually, for really reals, starting to approach the point where server meshing might be happening soon(tm) as in maybe this year, yay!
    2. In order for server meshing to happen, we first need Persistent Entity Streaming (PES), the pre-requisites for which were part of 3.17 (the current patch)
    3. PES is the "leave a coffee cup on a mountain and it will still be there tomorrow" tech. With it in place, your stuff will come with you wherever you go, whether you left it in your own ship, or under a random tree somewhere.
    4. This is, unsurprisingly, complicated as fuck, and will take a lot of testing to get right. CIG are anticipating a 3-6 month testing period.
    5. It didn't make sense to build the upcoming headline features of 3.18, the cargo refactor and hull stripping salvage, without PES in mind, so they're instead going to take the extra time to make them work with PES from the get go
    6. To make up for the fact that this will push 3.18 back significantly, there will be an additional "content rich" patch, 3.17.2, containing "missions, locations and gameplay" but no new tech
    7. Once PES is in place, hopefully this year, they will immediately begin work on 4.0, which will be "The Server Meshing Patch"
    8. This will hopefully enter Evocati testing this year, but there is a strong possibility that it will be pushed back to early next year given the complexities of the tech.
    9. The initial release of server meshing will see the current single dedicated game servers (DGS) replaced with "shards" of four DGS backed by a replication layer. This will include the new Pyro system, but no word on how exactly the the four DGS cluster will divide resources between the two systems
    10. No in-person CitizenCon this year, just a few online panels like last year
    11. Any mention of Squadron 42 is conspicuously absent, I guess they're very busy working on simulating bed sheets

    So yeah, exciting news, but ultimately boils down to "good things soon maybe, please be patient a bit longer".
    If this stuff happens soon then it'll be cool but when Chris Roberts says "MAYBE 2022" that means "for sure not 2022." Like, dude has promised stuff that is years late. If he's hedging his bets and saying "maybe" on this one, there's zero chance it's coming in on time.

    Mr RayElvenshaeFiatilMechMantis
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Definitely it won't be 2022 but at least they have a plan. The last time I bothered to read SC news they were stuck without a path forward.

  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    2022 is only a goal for getting it to their Evocati test group. Which those people are under NDA and it is closed access / by-invite-only. Basically a closed alpha.

    That means it for sure won't be going to live servers in 2022, because their typical workflow is Evocati Test Phase --> PTU in phases --> Live. And the first few phases of PTU are also by-invite-only and closed access, but there is no NDA. The final phase of PTU is open to anyone with a paid account.

    Lucascraft on
    Mr Ray
  • Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    I think we'll be lucky if PES releases in 2022, and following from that, there's very little chance of Server Meshing releasing in 2023.

    But hearing they actually have a form of PES working instead of just 'we plan to work on it at some point' is still very invigorating.

  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So, poked around the Invictus expo for a bit and got stuck in a Carrack temporarily(the elevator kept bringing up my Mobiglas instead of transitioning to floors whenever I pushed a button). I will say this: SC is a burlap sack full of bugs without a lot of gameplay content right now, but CIG have nailed the ship aspect of the game. It's pretty insane to be walking around ships this detailed that are actually flyable and for the most part functional. I'm still not sure if they're ever going to finish this, and I still raise an eyebrow at the FOMO ship selling(of course, saying this while I am probably upgrading my original package to a Vanguard), but it'll be interesting to see where the game ends up. Tempering my expectations, but wish them luck in pulling this off.

    5gsowHm.png
    Mr RayArbitraryDescriptor
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Are they even still offering LTI on purchases to FOMO over? To my knowledge that was the main thing you could actually miss out on over earning the money to buy it in game. Not to discount the whole look at this shiny ship you could own angle of the ship sales, I know I own an aegis reclaimer because I went holy shit that thing looks awesome.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Actually I think you're right, you only get LTI now if you upgrading an existing ship you own. I think it's only that you're guaranteed to start with a ship in your hangar if you purchase it. Also the limited paint versions, I guess.

    5gsowHm.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    During the Invictus event, new ship purchases get 10 years insurance coverage.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    During the Invictus event, new ship purchases get 10 years insurance coverage.

    They are incredibly optimistic, aren't they?

    dkj3oHf.jpg
    Syngyne
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    During the Invictus event, new ship purchases get 10 years insurance coverage.

    They are incredibly optimistic, aren't they?

    I mean, no guarantees on players staying with it, but I can absolutely see Chris Roberts riding this game to his grave, demanding ever higher degrees of fidelity the entire way.

    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    SyngyneMr RayeMoanderElvenshaeEl MuchoThe DeliveratorGiantGeek2020
  • Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Are they even still offering LTI on purchases to FOMO over? To my knowledge that was the main thing you could actually miss out on over earning the money to buy it in game. Not to discount the whole look at this shiny ship you could own angle of the ship sales, I know I own an aegis reclaimer because I went holy shit that thing looks awesome.

    Just gotta buy the Legionnaire and CCU to whatever you want. Easy LTI on most ships, since Legionnaire is one of the cheaper ones.

  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I was hoping to give this a shot during free trial, but 15 installer errors later and having tried every solution I can find other than "reformat your SSD" (pass! That shouldn't be a recommended solution for a fucking launcher), I guess I won't.

    A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Downloading it myself right now. We'll see how it handles Starlink internet.

    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    @Syngyne Some ships pledges will come with a secondary ship because the base ship can't be used in the Arena Commander mode, so if you get a Legionnaire it comes with a Vanguard that you also get to use in the Persistent Universe

    https://support.robertsspaceindustries.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003093114-Loaner-Ship-Matrix

    DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My launcher is broken too. It worked fine when I patched up to 3.17. But now it’s unresponsive and doesn’t have an update button or a launch button or anything. It just sits there and ignores me.

  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Someone tried to go to the Invictus launch expo on foot.

    It went about how you would expect.

    5gsowHm.png
    OneAngryPossumElvenshaeEl Mucho
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My launcher is broken too. It worked fine when I patched up to 3.17. But now it’s unresponsive and doesn’t have an update button or a launch button or anything. It just sits there and ignores me.

    My launcher did that the other night right after the patch hit. Uninstalling and reinstalling the launcher (which is distinct from the game files and is only a couple hundred megs) fixed it.

    From the sound of things a lot of the servers for individual systems (login, inventory, etc) were getting the shit kicked out of them as a result of a large number of existing players logging in for Invictus as well as a large number of new players logging in for the Freeflight, but they seem to have gotten everything nailed down now.

    byx6qb5yhxap.jpg
  • GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    My launcher is broken too. It worked fine when I patched up to 3.17. But now it’s unresponsive and doesn’t have an update button or a launch button or anything. It just sits there and ignores me.

    Logging out and back in fixed that for me.

    causality.png
    TheflyingassantheremElvenshae
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Logging out and back in did indeed fix it for me. Good tip.

    Lucascraft on
    Syngyne
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I have a space P-38 now
    z9u902363002.jpg

    5gsowHm.png
    Elvenshaeemp123HappylilElfIanatorDaMoonRulzArbitraryDescriptorStormwatcherGiantGeek2020El Mucho
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    @Syngyne Congrats! Which one did you get?

    I can't tell if that's the Invictus paint

    DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg




  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    @Syngyne Congrats! Which one did you get?

    I can't tell if that's the Invictus paint

    The Sentinel. I got it mainly for the better handling over the other variants. Haven't tried out the EMP yet, and I heard it's going away at some point anyway.

    The Invictus paintjob is actually grey where the yellow is, with some gold piping. I think the blue is more glossy as well.

    5gsowHm.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I have a space P-38 now

    *image snip*

    Very nice! I've been tempted to pick up the Warden variant so I can face-roll through the space bounty missions. Right now, I've been using my Sabre, but that thing can actually get damaged, whereas the Warden is like a honey badger in that it just doesn't give a shit.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    ArbitraryDescriptor
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    *pushes up nerd glasses* I would call it more of a P-61

    3basnids3lf9.jpg




    Preacher
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    *pushes up nerd glasses* I would call it more of a P-61

    Yeah, but did a single P-61 take out the entire Japanese naval fleet at Midway? I don’t think so.

    Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
    ElvenshaeMechMantis
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I have a space P-38 now
    z9u902363002.jpg

    Man, you got me all excited that they had unveiled a flyable F8C Lightning!

    https://starcitizen.tools/F8C_Lightning

  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I have a space P-38 now
    z9u902363002.jpg

    Man, you got me all excited that they had unveiled a flyable F8C Lightning!

    https://starcitizen.tools/F8C_Lightning

    Well, it's confirmed that there will be a flyable Lightning. You just won't be able to purchase it, you'll have to complete the Squadron 42 campaign.

    ...which I suppose means it's technically not confirmed

    5gsowHm.png
    MechMantis
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I have a space P-38 now

    *image snip*

    Very nice! I've been tempted to pick up the Warden variant so I can face-roll through the space bounty missions. Right now, I've been using my Sabre, but that thing can actually get damaged, whereas the Warden is like a honey badger in that it just doesn't give a shit.
    Looking at it on Erkul now, can you no longer gimbal the 4xS2s?

    I tried it at some Expo-past, and, relative to the Sabre, the DPS was already a little anemic without a gunner, and that was compounded by a crazy high EM signature that mades it impossible to sneak up on anyone.

    I've still got it on my wishlist as an EW platform, pending the implementation of whatever that is meant to eventually entail.

    And NPC pilots so I can sit in the back and do all the fun stuff.

    ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Pretty sure those are the nose guns, so turreting them wouldn't make much sense. Now, granted, the nose guns are only S2s compared to the Sabre's S3 guns...but the thing that makes slicing through the NPC space bounties is that S5 chin cannon. I've had NPC bounties not even get a shot off because they just melted once the chin cannon opened up.

    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
Sign In or Register to comment.