As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Been trying real hard to soft-kill bounty targets so I can loot some cargo, but they keep exploding on me. Rude.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Hellbore wrote: »
    Lots of the moon's and planets with atmosphere can have storms. I can't remember if the solution was to keep the engines on or turn them off.

Yes, the solutions is definitely... one of those. I think off, because the issue is that if the engines are on but you're not actually in the seat, the ship will try to keep itself on its current heading, i.e, pointed the way you left it. But it doesn't compensate for wind at all, so really all the engines do is cancel out the ship's mass, making it so that the ship doesn't weigh anything and blows away like a leaf with the slightest gust.

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    given that the general wisdom is never leave the engines on if you're leaving the ship, probably off is how you want them.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    I take out my bounty target. There are other ships there, shooting at each other? I get some distance to figure things out. Both ships end up shooting at me and hitting me, so I fire back.

Guess I did a murder now.

• Options
    Gawd, these bugs. Trying to swap guns on my ship. It won't save the change on the spaceport I bought them at. I haul them up to the station above, I can change 2/4 weapons there, but not the last two.

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I take out my bounty target. There are other ships there, shooting at each other? I get some distance to figure things out. Both ships end up shooting at me and hitting me, so I fire back.

Guess I did a murder now.

They reeeeeeally need to make the UI more explicit about "can I shoot this guy without getting a crime stat".

• Options
    Yeah, they were both red, but they were acting weird (ie, not hellbent on killing me), so I didn't kill them until they opened fire on me. Boom, crimestat.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that enemy identification (and friendlies too) is something they're just biding their time on right now before fixing it.

They are supposed to be bringing over the Personal Scanning / Ping system from SQ42 soon. The Ping system has integration with the new area map system, which they're also bringing in with some of the SQ42 UI elements. It will allow you to use a Personal Scanner to send out a low emission ping and detect sound, heat signatures, etc. Should help a lot with the playability of the game. It's supposed to be a risk/reward thing, where if the enemy detects your ping, they will go on alert and try to find you. So you can't just ping all willy nilly. And I think you will be able to adjust the strength of the ping, to try to remain in stealth.

We're on the precipice of a huge amount of UI upgrades and QoL improvements that are in their internal builds for SQ42 and are finally being ported into SC. (Theoretically. As always, feel free to approach with cynicism and disbelief. It's not real until it's playable. And all that stuff.)

• Options
    Yeah, I'm actually mildly hyped for upcoming stuff? As I said elsewhere last night, forgetting about Star Citizen for a decade before checking it out absolutely felt like the right call.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Starcitizen still has a lot of bugs and weirdness but it also is gaining features pretty rapidly now and is really starting to flesh out nicely.

• Options
    I accidentally did some minor crime (I swear I didn't know they ran an orphanage out of the back of that ship), so I figured I'd try hacking my crimes away.

Figured out how to get onto the comm array without getting shot down. Successfully hacked it, but somehow my ship blew up.

So I just server-hopped, tried again in another ship. Got in... terminal can't be interacted with. Tried another three times, just not working now.

Surely this wasted time must count as time served, officer?

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Pretty sure the comm array isn't even where you go to clear crimestat, it's where you hack to turn off crime reporting for the area it covers so you can do crimes without getting crimestat.

If I recall correctly there is a specific bunker on planets that has the actual terminal you can hack to clear your existing crime stat

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Security post Kareah is where you go to clear crime stat.
    For a while there were also some bunkers where you could do that, but I think they removed those?

Kareah is actively defended and a PvP hotbed. If you go there do it well armed. Best way to get in is to have your ship fly past as close and fast as possible. Jump out at the right time and EVA the rest of the way. Yes, that means you'll have to suicide to get back home.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    Yeah, was hoping to take the array down so I could pacify some people at Kareah. Guess I'll just go straight to Kareah next time.

• Options
    If you murder a bunch of people at Kareah and then hack the crime away, did the murders even happen at all?

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I will be dead before the Starliner is released.

Just let me drive my space 747

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Oh yeah. The Reclaimer is absolutely inspired by Alien.

Salvage as a feature is only half implemented. “Hull Scraping,” which is the act of using magic beams to strip away the metal exterior of a ship is in. You can get a Vulture and scrape away. The gameplay associated with this is basically Power Wash Simulator.

The second half of Salvage is not in yet. I believe they are calling it “Hull Munching” or something similar to that. This is the act of taking big chunks of debris and crunching it down into highly compressed blocks of raw material. This is what the big maw/mouth thing is for on the Reclaimer and that part isn’t implemented yet.

So does the part being munched need to be totally unoccupied or is that more of a suggestion?

Suggestion confirmed!

Latest Citizen Kate video plays around with the 3.22 PTU Reclaimer. Breaking and munching still seems a little placeholder, but "fracturing" a soft-dead ship does seem to kill the people inside it.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    If you murder a bunch of people at Kareah and then hack the crime away, did the murders even happen at all?

Yes but it no longer matters

ha-HA, realism

• Options

I had to murder at least a dozen guards the one time I tried clearing my crimestat for evading a security scan, so I'm going to say... yes.

It used to be there was a security outpost on every planet, plus Kareah station for Crusader. For now though they've decided that its actually better that there to only be one, since it means if you're into PvP there's now an obvious place to go and look for fights.

• Options
    Oh yeah. The Reclaimer is absolutely inspired by Alien.

Salvage as a feature is only half implemented. “Hull Scraping,” which is the act of using magic beams to strip away the metal exterior of a ship is in. You can get a Vulture and scrape away. The gameplay associated with this is basically Power Wash Simulator.

The second half of Salvage is not in yet. I believe they are calling it “Hull Munching” or something similar to that. This is the act of taking big chunks of debris and crunching it down into highly compressed blocks of raw material. This is what the big maw/mouth thing is for on the Reclaimer and that part isn’t implemented yet.

So does the part being munched need to be totally unoccupied or is that more of a suggestion?

Suggestion confirmed!

Latest Citizen Kate video plays around with the 3.22 PTU Reclaimer. Breaking and munching still seems a little placeholder, but "fracturing" a soft-dead ship does seem to kill the people inside it.

Yeah, it sounds like they pushed out a prototype version. Apparently "real" salvage munching has a reliance on their forthcoming Maelstrom Destruction system, which was shown off in a couple different videos at CitizenCon. So until they get Maelstrom into the game, they gave a super rudimentary and incomplete version of munching, just to get something in the game. So now you can at least use the claw on the front of the Reclaimer, as of patch 3.22, even if it's basically a Phase 0 implementation with a promise of a whole lot more to come later, reliant on other tech.

• Options
    When we're talking about a dead-ass ship, I'm fine with salvaging having some simple/phase 0 systems.

• Options
    Yeah, me too. Having a functional salvage claw seems better than having nothing at all. At least now the ship can be used for its intended purpose, even if we know there's still a lot more work to be done.

• Options
    As a follow-up thought, Crusader and RSI are just about my favorite two ship manufacturers overall. I love the design aesthetic for both of them. They just recently announced the RSI Arrastra, which is a new mining ship. I think it's slightly bigger than the Mole. Intended for a crew of 4-5 people I believe. I'd love to see a salvage ship made by RSI as well. And I'd love to get more of everything by Crusader.

I want a Crusader miner, a Crusader salvager, a Crusader medical ship, I want all of the things by Crusader.

In fact, I'm thinking the new Crusader C1 Spirit will probably end up replacing the Cutlass Black as my "all rounder" and daily flier.

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    edited December 2023
    The recent IAE reaffirmed that when it comes to medium sized allroundes like the C1, Freelancer, Cutlass etc. nothing beath the Constellation Taurus for me. C1 was kind of weird and for some reason the weapon Pips didn't line up despite being the same model of weapons in both groups? Freelancer would be my preffered choice if it wasn't for the terrible cockpit visibility.

Gokerz on
    causality.png
  • Options
    Gah, I found some quantainium, hauled ass to the nearest refinery, and then the refining screens were unusable. At least I could sell the unrefined ore for quick cash rather than blow up on the way to the next refinery.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Gah, I found some quantainium, hauled ass to the nearest refinery, and then the refining screens were unusable. At least I could sell the unrefined ore for quick cash rather than blow up on the way to the next refinery.

That's when you leave the box on top the kiosk. No court in the verse would convict you.

• Options
    And now I can't get food/water from my backpack! It just vanishes for a split second and then goes back into the backpack.

I figured out that I can drop it and then pick it up. Five second rule!

• Options
    I spent quite literally two hours just trying to swap gear on my Mole, but it's a complete crapshoot whether any given station actually works for that.

• Options
    Yeah, I'm sure all of the issues you reported with sales terminals, backpack problems, outfitting, and all of that is because their servers are taxed to the absolute max all the time, and all those commands are probably just getting lost to the ether.

We need server meshing so badly. And not even for Pyro. We just need it so that the game functions properly. Stanton needs server meshing.

• Options
    Dumbest death yet: topped up food and water in my Mole, hopped into a side turret to deal with the smaller chunks.

Oops no helmet.

• Options
    First janalite sighting and I was terrified I was going to bug and die the whole way to the admin office.

I'm tempted to invest and use the money to try a third time to do a Hull-C run, but every time I do that so far I've lost all my cargo to the game shitting itself.

• Options
    Man… I’ve been really feeling the pull of this game again. Nothing else out there gives the sense of freedom that Star Citizen does. Even in its alpha state. I’m trying to resist it though, because I really don’t like wasted effort and any credits I earn right now, and ships that I unlock will be deleted the next time they wipe. And I don’t want to lose a bunch of progress.

And yet I still find myself really wanting to play.

• Options
    I'm very much enjoying how chill mining is, but when I hear people going "I made five mil in 20 minutes doing drug runs!" I get a bit grumpy.

• Options
    I'm very much enjoying how chill mining is, but when I hear people going "I made five mil in 20 minutes doing drug runs!" I get a bit grumpy.

Yeah, but how chill is drug running?

• Options
    You have piqued my interest. How does one do a 5mil 20 minute drug run? I don't think I'd mind losing progress for that kind of money.

• Options
    Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    You have piqued my interest. How does one do a 5mil 20 minute drug run? I don't think I'd mind losing progress for that kind of money.

Wrecks carry cargo now, and with the introduction of larger cargo containers, the larger ships carry an ungodly amount of illegal cargo now.

• Options
    Finally was able to complete some trading with the Hull C without someone griefing me. First from Seraphim to Bajini with Hydrogen, then Bajini to Everus with some processed food.

What immediately stands out to me is that there desperately needs to be a queue system where you can arrange a sell order and a buy order at a terminal and then only have to go to the cargo grid once. As is you have to dock, run to the terminal, queue up the sell order, go back to your ship, launch, go to the cargo grid, wait, re-request a landing, dock again, run to the terminal again, queue up a buy order, run back to ship, undock, go back to cargo grid, wait.

You could cut that shit in half. Hell, why can't I arrange these orders from my mobiglass?

• Options
    Dac wrote: »
    You could cut that shit in half. Hell, why can't I arrange these orders from my mobiglass?

It's realistic!

But yes, more services from the mobiglass, including checking my refinery workloads.

• Options
    Have they added the ability to spawn vehicles inside of other vehicles yet? Or do I still have to fly down to a landing zone on a planet or moon, spawn a vehicle at a kiosk there, and then manually load it into the back of my ship?

• Options
    Have they added the ability to spawn vehicles inside of other vehicles yet? Or do I still have to fly down to a landing zone on a planet or moon, spawn a vehicle at a kiosk there, and then manually load it into the back of my ship?

That's going to be when the loading deck is added, I think. So yeah, iirc you still have to go to a surface pad.