As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Yeah, me too. Having a functional salvage claw seems better than having nothing at all. At least now the ship can be used for its intended purpose, even if we know there's still a lot more work to be done.

Yup and something that could be upgraded/improved in the future. Better to get some baseline functionality in now to get as many game play loops in game and functional. The mechanics of those loops is likely something that is going to be iterated upon for years.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Finally was able to complete some trading with the Hull C without someone griefing me. First from Seraphim to Bajini with Hydrogen, then Bajini to Everus with some processed food.

What immediately stands out to me is that there desperately needs to be a queue system where you can arrange a sell order and a buy order at a terminal and then only have to go to the cargo grid once. As is you have to dock, run to the terminal, queue up the sell order, go back to your ship, launch, go to the cargo grid, wait, re-request a landing, dock again, run to the terminal again, queue up a buy order, run back to ship, undock, go back to cargo grid, wait.

You could cut that shit in half. Hell, why can't I arrange these orders from my mobiglass?

I think you should be able to sell your stuff in-transit in the system where you're delivering. Basically, once you jump in-system, you should be able to get all the local market info, sell what you want, buy what you want, and then by the time you actually land all you have to do is wait for the offload and arrange the onload. Would be the sort of thing that would be great to justify crew members and whatnot, since they could handle the buying/selling while you handle the takeoff/landing.

• Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2023
    Finally was able to complete some trading with the Hull C without someone griefing me. First from Seraphim to Bajini with Hydrogen, then Bajini to Everus with some processed food.

What immediately stands out to me is that there desperately needs to be a queue system where you can arrange a sell order and a buy order at a terminal and then only have to go to the cargo grid once. As is you have to dock, run to the terminal, queue up the sell order, go back to your ship, launch, go to the cargo grid, wait, re-request a landing, dock again, run to the terminal again, queue up a buy order, run back to ship, undock, go back to cargo grid, wait.

You could cut that shit in half. Hell, why can't I arrange these orders from my mobiglass?

I think you should be able to sell your stuff in-transit in the system where you're delivering. Basically, once you jump in-system, you should be able to get all the local market info, sell what you want, buy what you want, and then by the time you actually land all you have to do is wait for the offload and arrange the onload. Would be the sort of thing that would be great to justify crew members and whatnot, since they could handle the buying/selling while you handle the takeoff/landing.

Obvious issue with this is what if you get blown up in between "selling" and actually landing to deliver the goods?

Saw a video of some actually creative piracy; using the new tractor beams on the Caterpillar some enterprising pirates scooped up a ROC which was out mining, pilot and all. The plan was then to kill him and take his stuff, but it turned out they didn't even need to worry about the "kill him" part because the ROC glitchily juddering around in the cargo bay evidently crushed the pilot to death for them when he got out. Then it was as easy as clicking and dragging the inventory from the ROC to the Cat. Yo ho ho!

Law system probably needs some tweaking to handle this scenario though, as in the eyes of the law they were guilty of nothing and the victim was guilty of trespassing on their ship...

Mr Ray on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    That's amazing.

Also as for the claw... I think it's fine to just leave it like it is. With the way Star Citizen physics work even at the best of times, the idea that it would actually make physical contact with anything... yeah, I'm good with the current implementation.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

I can maybe see testing this on dedicated terminals before trying to integrate it into the ever-changing mobiglass?

Hopefully the whole "walking a half mile to the admin terminal" is just a precursor to what you describe, as well as to missions in the form of timed freight contracts, with bonuses/penalties, for being sufficiently early/late, to add a little gameplay texture.

Also because industries relying on the caprice of freelance truckers who are willing to invest in a hold full of goods, with no buyer in mind, is no way to run an economy.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Obvious issue with this is what if you get blown up in between "selling" and actually landing to deliver the goods?

Saw a video of some actually creative piracy; using the new tractor beams on the Caterpillar some enterprising pirates scooped up a ROC which was out mining, pilot and all. The plan was then to kill him and take his stuff, but it turned out they didn't even need to worry about the "kill him" part because the ROC glitchily juddering around in the cargo bay evidently crushed the pilot to death for them when he got out. Then it was as easy as clicking and dragging the inventory from the ROC to the Cat. Yo ho ho!

Law system probably needs some tweaking to handle this scenario though, as in the eyes of the law they were guilty of nothing and the victim was guilty of trespassing on their ship...

Certified "safe" systems provide security if you're attacked on the way in and insurance covers all ship repair/replacement costs plus legal cargo loss, but with a value cap. "Unsafe" systems will still send protection, but no insurance coverage and you can sell illegal shit. And if you sell the goods and get destroyed before delivery? Well, that's the risk, you either gotta pay it off or deal with the bounty.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    3.22 is out!

And as soon as I equip any piece of armor, it unequips my undersuit and all other armor pieces. Mmm, patch days.

Sort-of figured that out - it works if you drag gear onto your character; if you try to right-click it to equip it there's a high chance what you already have equipped just vanishes into the void.

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    That seems like a really weird bug to have slipped through. Software be crazy.

I think one of the big features of this patch is that they have added new planetside settlements to a few planets and moons. I'm curious to hear how the performance around these new areas is on live, because multiple streamers were reporting unplayable levels of frame loss at the new locations on the PTU. Bored, SaltEMike, and SuperMacBro all said roughly the same thing in recent videos. Makes me a bit leery about visiting those locations.

I think this patch also delivers salvage munching, which they renamed to 'structural salvage' because it doesn't really munch anymore, so much as it disintegrates and turns into a fine mist that can be hoovered up by magic beams.

The mining heads/modules on my MOLE also reset to the stock loadout, so thus begins my tour of the system to reacquire my preferred setup.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

I saw that video and I was like okay that is some legit pirate game play action. If you let some random giant cargo ship sneak up on you though you kinda deserve the pirating haha.

Right, the quantum drive reset too. 13-minute travel time to MIC L5. Maybe it's faster if I get out and push.

Hopefully in the future they will add things like proximity alarms and approach alarms and things. That technology exists today in the real world via radar, radio positioning, and lidar. So it seems like something that should be equipped on ships pretty easily, since it exists on real world boats today.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Right, the quantum drive reset too. 13-minute travel time to MIC L5. Maybe it's faster if I get out and push.

I advise not exiting your ship mid jump.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

I advise not exiting your ship mid jump.

I already did that scientific experiment from the cargo ramp on my Cutlass.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular

That's what insurance is for, at least you'd think. Otherwise you'd just owe the buyer the money back if you couldn't deliver the goods within X time period.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    I long for the implementation of space doordash so I can pay people to go fly to wherever and bring me my ship components.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    I'd like a "get my ship over here without it being an insurance claim that gives me a brand new ship and ditches the inventory".

Pay for ship valet service. I'm on board.

I jumped into 3.22 last night. Just to mess around. I'm still not ready to play Star Citizen "for real." But I will go ahead and label my play session last night as a smashing success.

As it was my first time logging into the new patch, I had to remake my character. I picked one of the new hair options, and I messed with their silly blending system more than I normally do. (As an aside, hopefully at some point they get rid of blending entirely and just go with a standard slider system, because the blending thing is clunky and not even a little bit intuitive.)

I picked Area 18 on ArcCorp as my starting location, which is what I always do, because Area 18 has all the shops you need to get started. Clothing, armor, weapons, ammo, multi-tool, etc. In my opinion, if you want a convenient start, ArcCorp/Area 18 is the place to begin. Even though my character had reset, my other things had not. So I still had what little money I had accumulated when I messed around in 3.21, which is to say pretty much nothing at all. I think I started with like 26k in the bank.

Spawned my Vulture, pulled up a salvage mission, and went and did it. Successfully scraped a ship and figured out how to do the new structural salvage thing as well.

After that, I turned to the internet, and found some random video on Youtube by some random content creator that I have never watched or heard of before, and he had a guide for how to earn about 500k aUEC / hour. So I watched that, and then tried his technique. I think it was actually working better for me last night on the live server than it worked for him when he recorded the video a few days ago. In the video, he kept running into these lulls where the mission wouldn't immediately respawn. I never saw that. I was always able to grab a new copy of the mission every time I completed one, and chained them together.

I ended up making about 600k in the time that I played. (Actually a bit more, because I forgot to sell all the scrap in my ship's buffer). I also never crashed once, did not earn any crimestats, never got PVPd, never died, I even got some food and drink and remembered to remove my helmet before consuming them, and then I remembered to put my helmet back on afterwards!

That might actually have been my most successful play session ever.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Apparently RSI has updated their pricing, and you can now buy everything in the game if you choose to [ checks notes ] a down-payment on a house

As a reminder, RSI has already burned over half a billion dollars (given the way crowdfunding typically works as collateral for larger loans, probably over a full billion)

uH3IcEi.png
    Must be a slow news cycle if all they have is "Buy All The Things(tm) Megapack costs more now that it is updated to include all the new things since the last time it was updated"

• FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yes definitely nothing noteworthy or abnormal about a $6,000 increase in price on a digital spaceships pack to arrive at $48,000 -- must just be slow news day.

steam_sig.png
    edited January 5
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Yes definitely nothing noteworthy or abnormal about a $6,000 increase in price on a digital spaceships pack to arrive at $48,000 -- must just be slow news day.

Are they not adding more ships as they become available to the buy all the ships pack? That sounds like the kind of thing that would warrant a price increase, though i don't know how expensive the new ships have been

Do they have a breakdown of how much is new ships being added, how much is existing ships price changes, and how much is just a whale surcharge or is it just a LMAO look at these ridiculous numbers post?

NEO|Phyte on
    edited January 5
    I don't know that there's any way to break it down to what is a crazy whale surcharge and what is not that everyone will agree on, so yeah mostly the latter.

Opinions are going to vary veeeeery widely on the whale tax thing. I can share my personal math though:

1 - ($70 [price of a reasonably priced AAA game]/$48,000) == ~99.85% of the total value of that package is whale tax.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
    Haggling about how much of the price tag would be considered reasonable is probably waste of time, my definition in this context would be if there's any additional money in that price tag beyond the cost of buying all the ships individually

• Blah64Blah64 Registered User regular
    Generally, the big multi-ship packages are cheaper than the cost of all the ships at full price, but more expensive than if all the ships were bought at concept warbond.

• MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular

Are they not adding more ships as they become available to the buy all the ships pack? That sounds like the kind of thing that would warrant a price increase, though i don't know how expensive the new ships have been

Do they have a breakdown of how much is new ships being added, how much is existing ships price changes, and how much is just a whale surcharge or is it just a LMAO look at these ridiculous numbers post?

If RSI had added 15% more JPEGS of things to fraudulently promise people over the past year I'd think it would have gotten a mention in the thread

uH3IcEi.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Ah, and we though Train Simulator was bad!

Monwyn wrote: »

If RSI had added 15% more JPEGS of things to fraudulently promise people over the past year I'd think it would have gotten a mention in the thread

Maybe if you're a fool that thinks all of the jpegs of things need to be evenly priced, sprinkle some expensive ones in and you don't need near as many.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Remember when their all ships package was a completely absurd $15000 in 2015? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    Oh god I have to revise my math -- you apparently have to spend $1,000 to get into the "Chairman's Club" to even be allowed to spend $48,000 on that pack.

steam_sig.png
    Oh god I have to revise my math -- you apparently have to spend $1,000 to get into the "Chairman's Club" to even be allowed to spend $48,000 on that pack.

If you'd read the article you'd have known that ;)

edited January 6

You're right! I was at work and skimmed it because the headline of $48,000 is enough to kind of be done with the whole damn thing already.

And you helpfully spent your time telling everyone this isn't newsworthy to deflect from how absurd all of this is instead of discussing the content of the article, which distracted from the issue as well.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png

You're right! I was at work and skimmed it because the headline of $48,000 is enough to kind of be done with the whole damn thing already.

And you helpfully spent your time telling everyone this isn't newsworthy to deflect from how absurd all of this is instead of discussing the content of the article, which distracted from the issue as well.

It's not news that the game where you can spend stupid amounts of money on fake spaceships has an everything bundle with a stupid price tag attached. We have known this shit for years, it doesn't really matter if the amount goes up.

It is astounding that the $1,000 club membership fee is close to a rounding error in that calculation too! It barely even matters if I factor it in or not, which is just bananas to say out loud.

steam_sig.png
    I'm at work so I can't look at the article easily, was it actually a membership fee or just a club for being a high spender?

• OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    I’m aware it’s basically an annual update at this point, but even allowing customers to contribute a decent year’s pay to an in-development anything without that including some kind of investment angle is pretty fucked.

Honestly the number I'd be interested in is how many madman have actually ponied up for it.

So a couple insights and opinions here…

1) CIG raising the price on the all-ships bundle to include all the new ships that have been released over the past year or so is not really news.

2) Nearly every gaming news outlet and even a few mainstream news outlets have covered this story. Why? Because it’s easy clickbait, and drama drives marketing. Every year news outlets like to shake the hornets nest on Star Citizen, because it’s basically free views and free engagement on their sites and comments sections. But it’s also incredibly lazy journalism.

3) The thing that annoys me about all this is how sensationalistic this all is, and how clearly biased it is. They are intentionally trying to make people mad by only reporting half the story.

4) The full story is that yes, CIG is selling a $48,000 bundle, but every ship that currently exists in the game can be purchased for in-game credits just by playing the game. And it’s not even that hard to save up the game currency to build a big personal fleet. That’s the part that never gets reported, or gets buried in a footnote at the end of a sensationalist article.

5) Nobody is being forced to buy this bundle to play or enjoy the game. You can spend $40 during a sale to buy a starter pack and earn and unlock everything currently available in the game without ever spending another cent beyond that. But news headlines are conveniently ignoring that fact because that is mundane and doesn’t drive clicks.