As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I actually just watched a video that said something about Vehicle Munching was coming in the next patch. So I went over to the RSI website to confirm. Here's what I found:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/progress-tracker/deliverables/45y06msi74jhl

6yutfn6oossc.png

Obviously, as with anything, this has to be taken with a pinch of salt. It's not in until it's in. But they're saying on their progress tracker that Vehicle Munching will be included in the 3.22 patch, which is the Q4 2023 patch, and should be hitting in late December.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I'm clearing out a bunker, can't find the last three goons. Are they always down in the bunker, or topside a well? Didn't spot anyone going in.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Oh yeah. The Reclaimer is absolutely inspired by Alien.

Salvage as a feature is only half implemented. “Hull Scraping,” which is the act of using magic beams to strip away the metal exterior of a ship is in. You can get a Vulture and scrape away. The gameplay associated with this is basically Power Wash Simulator.

The second half of Salvage is not in yet. I believe they are calling it “Hull Munching” or something similar to that. This is the act of taking big chunks of debris and crunching it down into highly compressed blocks of raw material. This is what the big maw/mouth thing is for on the Reclaimer and that part isn’t implemented yet.

So does the part being munched need to be totally unoccupied or is that more of a suggestion?

• Options

Salvage as a feature is only half implemented. “Hull Scraping,” which is the act of using magic beams to strip away the metal exterior of a ship is in. You can get a Vulture and scrape away. The gameplay associated with this is basically Power Wash Simulator.

The second half of Salvage is not in yet. I believe they are calling it “Hull Munching” or something similar to that. This is the act of taking big chunks of debris and crunching it down into highly compressed blocks of raw material. This is what the big maw/mouth thing is for on the Reclaimer and that part isn’t implemented yet.

So does the part being munched need to be totally unoccupied or is that more of a suggestion?

Lol I know this is a joke, but now I'm genuinely curious to know what happens if a Reclaimer starts munching a ship that has a person in it.

I'm honestly not even sure what the rules are surrounding munching. Can a ship in 'soft death' be munched? Or does it have to be all the way destroyed to be munchable?

• Options
    Well, gave up on that bunker mission. Next question, is there some handier way to haul loot back to the ship?

• Options
    quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, gave up on that bunker mission. Next question, is there some handier way to haul loot back to the ship?
    Tractor beam a 1 or 2 SCU box down the bunker elevator, fill it up down there and tractor beam it back up onto your ship.
    To generate a 2 SCU box, put enough stuff in the local inventory of a small vehicle and blow it up.

Become a Star Citizen
  • Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular

Apart from quietjay's way I think many people just haul the bodies with all their stuff using the multi tool tractor beam.

For the bunker there is a bug where enemies get stuck under the ground and in walls. Makes them nearly impossible

causality.png
  • Options
    My biggest problem with bunker missions is that I never know friend from foe, usually until it's too late. I know they don't want to do player nameplates because that breaks immersion, and they're trying to reduce the number of UI elements and game-ifications of things.

But the new crop of bunker missions that they put in 2-3 patches ago are confusing. They have objectives like "help the local security force deal with a hacker threat." So I go into the bunker and I see a dude. How do I know whether that dude is a friend or foe? There's no way to know until I alert them and they either shoot at me, or they don't. If I shoot first, and they're a friend, I get a crimestat. If they're an enemy, they shoot first and I get downed and fail the mission before I even have a chance.

I actually did try to play recently. Had a really bad player experience with one such mission.

Accepted the mission, flew to the bunker and landed my ship nearby. Since I was helping a local force, basically acting as hired protection, I was flagged as friendly to the faction that owned the bunker. I go down the elevator, see a dude. Not sure if he's friend or foe. He turns around and oneshots me with that notorious perfect Star Citizen aim that baddies have. So I go down. I'm playing alone, so I can't revive myself, so I just respawn. But because I'm not there, the mission auto-fails. So I spawn a small ship, in this case I spawned my Pisces. And I fly back to the bunker to reclaim my MSR that I used to fly to the mission in the first place. Only because the mission is now over, I am now flagged as an opponent to the faction that controls the bunker. And their auto-turrets destroyed my MSR. And the auto-turrets shot down my Pisces when I got close enough to try to recover my ship. And so I got blown up. And because I was "trespassing" I got a crimestat, so the auto-turrets blew me up and sent me to jail. What a lame way to end a mission.

I gave up and haven't logged in since.

• Options
    quietjayquietjay Indianapolis, INRegistered User regular
    When it works, friendly NPCs have a blue triangle over their head so you can tell friend from foe.

Become a Star Citizen
  • Options
    Tried to play some again but it sends me to character creation. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Options
    GokerzGokerz Registered User regular
    Same problem here. Seems their servers have some problems.

Everyone who hasn't yet should use the time to put their info in the Googledoc in the first post!

causality.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Oh right, the shame fleet doc. Assuming it imported stuff from the previous document, I do need to go in and update, I did end up swapping my 300i for a cutty black. A bit bigger than I actively need, but there's not an option to go from the 300i to the Pisces.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Ahh that reminds me. I needed to do some maintenance on my account/hangar. I had a Freelancer MAX that I bought a few years ago and I never really used it. So I just melted that and turned it into a Vulture instead.

I also had a Hornet Heartseeker that I didn't like either. So I just converted that to a Corsair. I got some pretty great prices on both of those upgrades due to the current IAE sale prices and warbond bundles.

If I decide I want a Freelancer again in the future, I can just buy one in game. They're good little ships, but my MSR outshines it in nearly every way so I just very rarely use it.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    quietjay wrote: »
    When it works, friendly NPCs have a blue triangle over their head so you can tell friend from foe.

I feel like player outlines would be a huge help for something like that and an entirely reasonable compromise. Nothing that flashes up to tell you the specific guy you're shooting at, but something that definitely indicates this other person is not in your group. Making outlines work on only enemies you can see some of is easy enough, though only showing the outline on parts you can see would be better. So no using outlines to Xray peek at what enemies are doing, but you have to actually clearly see some part of them to get the indicator.

Lol I know this is a joke, but now I'm genuinely curious to know what happens if a Reclaimer starts munching a ship that has a person in it.

I'm honestly not even sure what the rules are surrounding munching. Can a ship in 'soft death' be munched? Or does it have to be all the way destroyed to be munchable?

It would be genuinely hilarious if you could sneak up on people and start chewing on their ships while they're just flying around. Let them rip loose easily, but leave you with a chunk of their ship like some weird interstellar lizard shedding its tail to a predator.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Fiatil wrote: »
    I'm pretty down on d4 sometimes but that is a hilariously silly comparison. The desperation to validate star citizen is fascinating.

oh the irony, the desperation to shit on Star Citizen in the wake of recent good news is also worthy of psychiatric publication. I eagerly await the continual moving of goalposts. It interesting how all the posters who "just wanted SQ42" are suddenly silent.

What are you talking about dude? We just don't want to shit up the thread but SQ42 is no closer to being released and there is no recent good news. Nobody believes any of the shit Roberts is selling and it'll still be years for SQ42.

But ok!

Edit I should say I'd be more than happy for them to prove me wrong as I'd love to play it

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    My biggest problem with bunker missions is that I never know friend from foe, usually until it's too late. I know they don't want to do player nameplates because that breaks immersion, and they're trying to reduce the number of UI elements and game-ifications of things.

But the new crop of bunker missions that they put in 2-3 patches ago are confusing. They have objectives like "help the local security force deal with a hacker threat." So I go into the bunker and I see a dude. How do I know whether that dude is a friend or foe? There's no way to know until I alert them and they either shoot at me, or they don't. If I shoot first, and they're a friend, I get a crimestat. If they're an enemy, they shoot first and I get downed and fail the mission before I even have a chance.

I actually did try to play recently. Had a really bad player experience with one such mission.

Accepted the mission, flew to the bunker and landed my ship nearby. Since I was helping a local force, basically acting as hired protection, I was flagged as friendly to the faction that owned the bunker. I go down the elevator, see a dude. Not sure if he's friend or foe. He turns around and oneshots me with that notorious perfect Star Citizen aim that baddies have. So I go down. I'm playing alone, so I can't revive myself, so I just respawn. But because I'm not there, the mission auto-fails. So I spawn a small ship, in this case I spawned my Pisces. And I fly back to the bunker to reclaim my MSR that I used to fly to the mission in the first place. Only because the mission is now over, I am now flagged as an opponent to the faction that controls the bunker. And their auto-turrets destroyed my MSR. And the auto-turrets shot down my Pisces when I got close enough to try to recover my ship. And so I got blown up. And because I was "trespassing" I got a crimestat, so the auto-turrets blew me up and sent me to jail. What a lame way to end a mission.

I gave up and haven't logged in since.

Yeah, solo bunker missions are not always the greatest experience, which is a shame because I really want to do the FPS stuff.

On identifying friendlies, they should have blue triangles but if those bug out (which happens frequently) they did at least give the friendlies pretty distinct uniforms... mostly. Unfortunately Stanton being Stanton it has four different security forces all with different uniforms. For reference, in order of easiest-to-tell-from-a-badguy:

- MicroTech security wear black and white
    - Crusader security wear light blue with white
    - Hurston Security wear black with yellow/gold highlights
    - BlackJac security wear silver and red and can go fuck themselves cause that guy totally looked like an outlaw this is bullshit

• Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    I'm pretty down on d4 sometimes but that is a hilariously silly comparison. The desperation to validate star citizen is fascinating.

oh the irony, the desperation to shit on Star Citizen in the wake of recent good news is also worthy of psychiatric publication. I eagerly await the continual moving of goalposts. It interesting how all the posters who "just wanted SQ42" are suddenly silent.

What are you talking about dude? We just don't want to shit up the thread but SQ42 is no closer to being released and there is no recent good news. Nobody believes any of the shit Roberts is selling and it'll still be years for SQ42.

But ok!

Edit I should say I'd be more than happy for them to prove me wrong as I'd love to play it

I guess your definition of good news is different from mine (and from others here in this thread.)

Recent good news:

-Small scale demo of server meshing showed live at CitizenCon
    -Recent 'Replication Layer' test on the Evocati closed test server was a success
    -SQ42 is feature complete (yes, this does not mean content complete. But it's still good news.)

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular

But ok!

I guess your definition of good news is different from mine (and from others here in this thread.)

Recent good news:

-Recent 'Replication Layer' test on the Evocati closed test server was a success
    -SQ42 is feature complete (yes, this does not mean content complete. But it's still good news.)

Ahh I think the issue is VoodooV phrasing it as some great triumph to finally quell the legions of haters. The final battle victory to finally dunk on all who could have possibly doubted the glory of The Roberts.

It's just all wait and see stuff from a skeptic's perspective. Your takes are more grounded and reasonable, which makes discussion easier. Like you said -- none of it is complete yet. None of us have played Squadron42, we have no idea how much longer it will be until release (I think it's reasonable to say "years" instead of "months" but correct me if I'm wrong), and we have no idea if it will be anything resembling a good game.

I personally would wait to be able to verify some of those unknown variables before doing victory laps, but we all operate differently I suppose.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023

But ok!

Recent good news:

I don't believe any of this translates into any real game coming out soon. The idea that people are excited that apparently a small group of folks who spent a million dollars got access to a small server mesh test as a breakthrough is hilarious to me

Edit @Fiatil got it

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular

But ok!

Recent good news:

I don't believe any of this translates into any real game coming out soon. The idea that people are excited that apparently a small group of folks who spent a million dollars got access to a small server mesh test as a breakthrough is hilarious to me

Edit @Fiatil got it
    My understanding of server meshing's history has been a string of "ok it's time to test if we've got the back-end components needed for this to work" followed by "nope, this wasn't it, but this NEXT component we're working will surely be the key", where exactly is the hilarity in excitement over them hitting a component where the testing is going "oh shit I think this is ready for the next phase"? Or is your stance that they're faking it to keep The Dream alive?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    I mean, that's an extreme level of pessimism and cynicism if you can't even accept the small nuggets of good news for what they are -- small nuggets of good news. I'm not suggesting anyone go on a victory lap here. You're right. The game is still far from coming out. I'm still playing the waiting game just like everyone else.

But I'm not so calloused and jaded as to completely hate the project and reject any form of good news, simply because the game isn't out yet. Good news is good news, and progress is being made. Maybe it's not to your expectation of speed. But that doesn't mean they're over there in the CIG offices fucking about and swimming in Scrooge McDuck piles of money. In fact, most of the ground-floor workers, programmers, artists, etc are very passionate about this project and want to see it done just as bad (or more) than those of us who are consumers.

And Evocati isn't tied to spending money. It's mostly influencers and people who have shown a dedication to writing bug reports and being good/reliable testers. The thing you have to spend a shitload of money on in order to participate is something different. It exists. I'm not denying it. There's a test server for the mega-whales. But it is different from Evocati.

If you're gonna shit on the game and on their business practices, at least do it factually please.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I must admit I'm still somewhat confused on server meshing, at least as far as the demo at Citizencon was concerned. Having different servers for different, discrete areas I understand perfectly well, but in the same room? Looking at each other? To be able to replicate what's going on on the other server accurately, doesn't the server need all the info the other one has? Or is the second server only passing along final states so that the first one doesn't have to do physics calculations and just needs to render it?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    I must admit I'm still somewhat confused on server meshing, at least as far as the demo at Citizencon was concerned. Having different servers for different, discrete areas I understand perfectly well, but in the same room? Looking at each other? To be able to replicate what's going on on the other server accurately, doesn't the server need all the info the other one has? Or is the second server only passing along final states so that the first one doesn't have to do physics calculations and just needs to render it?

I suspect it's the second thing. Sending entity data isn't homework, you don't need to show how you got at your results, just what the results are.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I mean, that's an extreme level of pessimism and cynicism if you can't even accept the small nuggets of good news for what they are -- small nuggets of good news. I'm not suggesting anyone go on a victory lap here. You're right. The game is still far from coming out. I'm still playing the waiting game just like everyone else.

But I'm not so calloused and jaded as to completely hate the project and reject any form of good news, simply because the game isn't out yet. Good news is good news, and progress is being made. Maybe it's not to your expectation of speed. But that doesn't mean they're over there in the CIG offices fucking about and swimming in Scrooge McDuck piles of money. In fact, most of the ground-floor workers, programmers, artists, etc are very passionate about this project and want to see it done just as bad (or more) than those of us who are consumers.

And Evocati isn't tied to spending money. It's mostly influencers and people who have shown a dedication to writing bug reports and being good/reliable testers. The thing you have to spend a shitload of money on in order to participate is something different. It exists. I'm not denying it. There's a test server for the mega-whales. But it is different from Evocati.

If you're gonna shit on the game and on their business practices, at least do it factually please.

I'll admit my comment about having to pay hard currency was more of a general commentary on Star Citizen, in response to a post that came in super hot out of nowhere, and I did not click VoodooV's link to see that it was specifically referring to this Evocati thing you're talking about. I apologize for the confusion and I appreciate the clarification.

I think most of the negative reaction you're seeing in the last page or two are directed at the stuff like VoodooV's post and the post that randomly brought up Diablo 4 out of nowhere in what appeared to be a way to deflect criticism from Star Citizen (but may not have been that as the poster has since indicated it had a different meaning).

There really wasn't anyone randomly popping up to dunk on the game recently before that exchange -- the only post that vaguely resembles that was ironzerg's but they appear to actually be playing and it seemed much more playful than malicious. It's a few people being like "woah tap the brakes there a bit" to the above posts, and then a lot of back and forth around that.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited November 2023

I'll admit my comment about having to pay hard currency was more of a general commentary on Star Citizen, in response to a post that came in super hot out of nowhere, and I did not click VoodooV's link to see that it was specifically referring to this Evocati thing you're talking about. I apologize for the confusion and I appreciate the clarification.

I think most of the negative reaction you're seeing in the last page or two are directed at the stuff like VoodooV's post and the post that randomly brought up Diablo 4 out of nowhere in what appeared to be a way to deflect criticism from Star Citizen (but may not have been that as the poster has since indicated it had a different meaning).

There really wasn't anyone randomly popping up to dunk on the game recently before that exchange -- the only post that vaguely resembles that was ironzerg's but they appear to actually be playing and it seemed much more playful than malicious. It's a few people being like "woah tap the brakes there a bit" to the above posts, and then a lot of back and forth around that.

Allow me to clarify: I was shitting on Diablo IV.

Monwyn mentioned a decade and it made me chuckle because Diablo IV was an incredibly disappointing game that spent a decade in order to deliver exactly the same RNG loot grind but repackaged with a battlepass which itself was just a way to try and pry even more cash out of people for half asses cosmetics.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    This plastic bottle situation is just out of hand. Needs a bounty system for people that litter.

Object persistence is a good thing to aim for but it is crucial to not forget a lot of stuff needs to NOT be persistent. It is cute if I throw trash down it stays there but when everybody does it eventually something is going to break or get so lag ridden it impacts game play. Still it is alpha so a decent time to see how much is too much/

• Options

With the SRV there is technically a third spoke of salvage game play. A lot of the salvage missions will work if you tow the mission objective ship a certain distance. Ideally when everything is fully implemented having SRV's collect husks dead ships to bring to vultures and reclaimers to munch on could make for some fun times likely needing some fighter escorts to fend off pirates and to protect the booty.

• Options
    "You can leave a coffee cup in a forest on a planet and come back to it a week later and it'll still be there!"

Yeah okay but why, tho. Like that's interesting as an experiment but for practical reasons garbage needs to be culled. We saw what the results of persistence were when they introduced it, and it was space debris clogging up hangars making spaceports a hazard to navigate. They had to implement culling that junk because oh god what a (hilarious) shitshow that was.

Everyone needs space janitors, after all.

• Options
    I think during one of their SCL segments, they actually mentioned the possibility of spawning cleanup missions at space stations if the back-end entity tracking system started to get congested. They said it lightheartedly and half-jokingly, but something like that actually could be kind of cool. It might be a good way for new players or Good Samaritan types to earn a few extra creds.

• Options
    Woof, the Reliant Kore I took for a spin sure has a teeny quantum fuel tank.

• Options
    I think during one of their SCL segments, they actually mentioned the possibility of spawning cleanup missions at space stations if the back-end entity tracking system started to get congested. They said it lightheartedly and half-jokingly, but something like that actually could be kind of cool. It might be a good way for new players or Good Samaritan types to earn a few extra creds.

Using the new hull-munching tech to create a handheld bottle recycler.

• Options

Using the new hull-munching tech to create a handheld bottle recycler.

Combined with some kind of modified tractor beam you could make a really futuristic vacuum/recycler for trash duty.

• Options
    ...and the refuel screen keeps bugging out so I guess I'll ditch the Reliant on this rando station and wait to have another ship delivered.

I used about 70% quantum fuel just getting there with the Reliant.

• Options

depending on the drive it has that also makes an impact, IIRC the military-grade ones go rull fast but guzzle fuel like something that guzzles a lot of fuel.

• Options
    LJDouglasLJDouglas Registered User regular
    It’s been a good while since I messed about with fitting a ship, but I seem to remember the Atlas drive being a good balance of speed to fuel efficiency. The military drives have a theoretically higher top speed, but generally also have accelerations low enough that you won’t actually arrive significantly faster, but you will burn your whole fuel tank doing so.

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

depending on the drive it has that also makes an impact, IIRC the military-grade ones go rull fast but guzzle fuel like something that guzzles a lot of fuel.

It is one reason that new alien starter is pretty nice. Has a real big quantum tank so you can either have slow and super high endurance or normal endurance and fast.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    "You can leave a coffee cup in a forest on a planet and come back to it a week later and it'll still be there!"

Yeah okay but why, tho. Like that's interesting as an experiment but for practical reasons garbage needs to be culled. We saw what the results of persistence were when they introduced it, and it was space debris clogging up hangars making spaceports a hazard to navigate. They had to implement culling that junk because oh god what a (hilarious) shitshow that was.

Everyone needs space janitors, after all.

Because what if that coffee cup wasn't on a random mountain top but in a structure you put down yesterday to use as a base? If you build a base on a planet and place some stuff in it, presumably you'd want it to still be there when you come back the next day, yes?

• Options
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Because what if that coffee cup wasn't on a random mountain top but in a structure you put down

Then we're not talking about the same thing at all, are we? :|

• Options
    Pay 30k fee for risky salvage mission

Money deducted, mission not showing up

wee

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Well they said it was risky. This is on you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net