As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Citizen | SQ42 | 12 Years. $500 Million. 0 Games.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Mr Ray wrote: »

Because what if that coffee cup wasn't on a random mountain top but in a structure you put down

Then we're not talking about the same thing at all, are we? :|

*shrug* Same tech.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Woops, I accidentally a crime and got CS3, which it looks like there's no decent way to get rid of short of doing more crime.

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular

Because what if that coffee cup wasn't on a random mountain top but in a structure you put down

Well... yes because its literally the same tech. The coffee cup on a mountaintop quote is hyperbole but the point is that there's no reason it couldn't remember something as insignificant as a coffee cup on a mountaintop using the same tech; as far as the object container system is concerned that coffee cup is just another object in the giant tree structure that is the universe. Which is already even right now keeping track of your ship's contents and status including all the scuffs and dents you've put on it, the water bottle you threw on the floor, the turtle you put on the co-pilot's seat etc, so fuck it, why not that coffee cup?

There's obviously going to have to be some tuning to cull litter so that the universe doesn't get filled up with junk, which I'm surprised they didn't think about sooner, but CIG are nothing if not naive about how humans will actually behave in online spaces.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I've got a bit of time this morning, so I thought it would be fun to post some info here for those that aren't following the project that closely. I still watch a lot of daily and weekly SC content, even though I'm not really playing right now. So I'm pretty up-to-date on the state of the project. All of the info below is "as I understand it" and might not be 100% correct, but I think it's all at least ballpark close.

Coming Soon ( <1 year)
    Salvage Munching
    Replication Layer
    Server Meshing - Static
    Pyro system
    Starship Component gameplay
    Engineering gameplay
    Vulkan Gen 12 Renderer
    HUD and UI updates (includes new Star Map, loot and inventory updates, and more)

Coming in the mid term (1-3 years)
    Squadron 42
    Odin system
    Nyx system
    Starship Armor / Hull Armor
    Starship Master Modes (new flight model and gameplay balance)
    Scanning and Data Creation gameplay
    Data Transport / Data Running
    Live Capture Bounties
    Passenger Transport Missions
    Base Building
    Hacking gameplay
    Guild and Social features

Coming in the long term (3+ years)
    Alien Species (Vanduul, Xi'an, Banu)
    Additional Star Systems
    Long Range gameplay and True Exploration

Unknown
    Dynamic Economy
    Server Meshing - Dynamic

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Have they said anything about private servers? That was one of the things I was most looking forward to, but I'm thinking at this point with all of the fancy server tech they're doing that it probably got canned, which would be pretty disappointing.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Have they said anything about private servers? That was one of the things I was most looking forward to, but I'm thinking at this point with all of the fancy server tech they're doing that it probably got canned, which would be pretty disappointing.

yup, me and 4 other dudes all backed it originally on the dream of a private server (plus SQ42) but at this point :\

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    That hasn't even come up lately. Likely canned. I haven't heard private servers mentioned even one time in the last 3-4 years of following the game.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Most of the fancy server tech stuff is about scaling the stuff up to public server playercounts, assuming they haven't entirely forgotten about private servers you could probably just skip all the fancy scaling tech and let people spin up a current-tech all handled by a single instance box. I suppose that does leave the question of if Mr High Fidelity has all the NPC stuff actively running if nobody is nearby.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Well, I think the biggest argument against private servers is "content streaming." Star Citizen doesn't install all of its assets on players' hard drives. They stream it in as needed. That helps keep the install sizes down.

The *real* problem with allowing private servers is that you wouldn't have access to the content streaming. A private server would eventually have to host the data for 100+ star system, once they get the game built up to their desired size. And that's not feasible. We're talking literal terabytes of installation data. And you can't ask players to dedicate a 2tb (or bigger) drive to the installation of SC. At least not right now and not anytime soon.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular

*shrug* Same tech.

No shit, but just because you have one doesn't mean you have to have the other. You can set 'no cull junk' flags for player owned areas.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    They might could still offer some sort of official private server rental, which while not ideal, would be better than nothing, I guess.

• Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Well, I think the biggest argument against private servers is "content streaming." Star Citizen doesn't install all of its assets on players' hard drives. They stream it in as needed. That helps keep the install sizes down.

The *real* problem with allowing private servers is that you wouldn't have access to the content streaming. A private server would eventually have to host the data for 100+ star system, once they get the game built up to their desired size. And that's not feasible. We're talking literal terabytes of installation data. And you can't ask players to dedicate a 2tb (or bigger) drive to the installation of SC. At least not right now and not anytime soon.

content streaming is more about active worldstate than the actual game content, you are absolutely gonna have piles of ship models and structure models and textures and such in your local install because trying to stream that shit to everyone would probably actually break the internet at the playercounts they're aiming for. Depending on how much space a massive entity tracking database needs a server could potentially use LESS storage because where it doesn't need to render stuff it doesn't need the models and textures and stuff.
    It'd absolutely need a shitload of RAM though.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I say this from the heart: you will not have private star citizen servers

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    They might could still offer some sort of official private server rental, which while not ideal, would be better than nothing, I guess.

Seems like Roberts would see this as a failure of the PU if they were truly separate. I don't imagine anything is currently under consideration that is more private than a mechanism to ensure large groups can join the same instance.

Which isn't to say never, but probably not before players can use facilities to draw dicks on the moon(s).

• Options
    That hasn't even come up lately. Likely canned. I haven't heard private servers mentioned even one time in the last 3-4 years of following the game.

Yeah, they've been very conspicuously quiet on the subject any time its been brought up. Its not impossible that it could still be a thing, but you'd likely be hosting a single system and limited to the sort of player numbers we've got in the PU.

The problem is, it became apparent pretty early on that a single physical server is not sufficient to run even one busy system like Stanton with the desired number of players; most of the performance improvements we've seen recently have been due to offloading some of the work that was previously being done by the server itself to backend systems.

The only way private servers are going to work is if CIG also introduces a way to host your own instances of all these backend services, and at that point you're talking about paying to host multiple servers just to run a single system.

Its also a hell of a lot of dev work to open the game up to the point that it allows people to do that. And of course, cynically, if you can just log in to a private server where everyone gets their own personal Bengal and everything's unlocked, that's likely to discourage people from spending their real life money on in-game currency or skins or whatever on the live servers.

• Options
    I did the crime, I did the time! (and mining)

*gets prison tats*

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Echo wrote: »
    I did the crime, I did the time! (and mining)

*gets prison tats*

Sounds like we can add 'Serving other people's prison sentences' back on the list of job opportunities.

When I last played, the kiosks you sell the ore to were broken. Really put a damper on my fledgling bail bond business selling time credits.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs... but every person should have some vice.

So anyway that's how I rationalize the Crusader Ares Inferno.

• Options
    My favorite* part of the crime stat experience is just how absolutely punch-in-the-faceable the guy running the PA system is

• Options
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    My favorite* part of the crime stat experience is just how absolutely punch-in-the-faceable the guy running the PA system is

I did have some "is this Fallout?" moments there, yes.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

*shrug* Same tech.

No shit, but just because you have one doesn't mean you have to have the other. You can set 'no cull junk' flags for player owned areas.

You can also put NPC janitors in, as well as random NPC action pick up a piece of trash and throw it in the bin. Immersion!

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    I just had what I think is a bug. Or maybe I did something wrong. But I don't believe I did.

I took my new Vulture out for a spin. Took a small salvage contract. Went out and filled a box. I was trying to get back to ArcCorp to sell it. I quantumed from the wreck site to ArcCorp itself. But I was on the wrong side of the planet. So I spooled back up and tried to jump to Arc L4 lagrange point. Instead of jumping to quantum, like I was expecting, the game paused for a sec and then a message popped up in the middle of the screen that I had been "relocated for my safety" and I found myself magically standing back in ArcCorp in front of a ship kiosk in the spaceport.

The only problem... I don't want to be magically standing in the spaceport, I want to be on board my Vulture with the cargo box of scrap. I just want to follow the process from start to finish so I can learn what I'm doing. I'm not really looking to make a huge buck or anything. I just want the experience of going out, scraping a ship, and then taking the scrap back to sell.

Is there a way to get back to my ship? Or is it just gone? If I load up in my Pisces runabout, is there a way to just fly out to wherever my Vulture is? I specifically do not want to reclaim the Vulture because then I will lose the cargo and have to do another mission and start the whole thing over. Or maybe I'm going to have to do that again anyway...

• Options
    What you're describing sounds like you bugged into a restricted area, which despawns your ship and pops you into the spaceport. Haven't heard what actually becomes of your ship in that situation, but I'm guessing you already checked the ASOP terminal and it wasn't nicely stored and waiting?

• Options
    I didn't get any warning about a restricted area. Just one minute I was trying to quantum to a lagrange point and the next thing I knew I was standing in Area 18. And yeah, I checked the ASOP terminal. I can file a claim on my ship, but it is not stored.

• Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Fiatil wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I'm pretty down on d4 sometimes but that is a hilariously silly comparison. The desperation to validate star citizen is fascinating.

oh the irony, the desperation to shit on Star Citizen in the wake of recent good news is also worthy of psychiatric publication. I eagerly await the continual moving of goalposts. It interesting how all the posters who "just wanted SQ42" are suddenly silent.

What are you talking about dude? We just don't want to shit up the thread but SQ42 is no closer to being released and there is no recent good news. Nobody believes any of the shit Roberts is selling and it'll still be years for SQ42.

But ok!

Edit I should say I'd be more than happy for them to prove me wrong as I'd love to play it

I guess your definition of good news is different from mine (and from others here in this thread.)

Recent good news:

-Small scale demo of server meshing showed live at CitizenCon
    -Recent 'Replication Layer' test on the Evocati closed test server was a success
    -SQ42 is feature complete (yes, this does not mean content complete. But it's still good news.)

Ahh I think the issue is VoodooV phrasing it as some great triumph to finally quell the legions of haters. The final battle victory to finally dunk on all who could have possibly doubted the glory of The Roberts.

It's just all wait and see stuff from a skeptic's perspective. Your takes are more grounded and reasonable, which makes discussion easier. Like you said -- none of it is complete yet. None of us have played Squadron42, we have no idea how much longer it will be until release (I think it's reasonable to say "years" instead of "months" but correct me if I'm wrong), and we have no idea if it will be anything resembling a good game.

I personally would wait to be able to verify some of those unknown variables before doing victory laps, but we all operate differently I suppose.

That sure is a nice strawman you got there. Again there seems to be quite a bit of projection here. you seem to be simping for Roberts way more than any of us. Aint nobody really praising him here, cept for you and your strawman. I didn't even bring him up. The only one parading around talking about victory laps is you. Like I said at the beginning, those goalposts, they like to move. the "I just want SQ42" crowd now seems to be the "I just want SQ42 and now this other feature that isn't SQ42, that is likely canned that hasn't even been brought up in years...till conveniently now and suddenly we care _so_ much about it!" (such concern!) all the while lalalalalalalala-ing about any news of progress. I don't think anyone claimed SQ42 would be out in months. Hyperbole seems to be your department.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2023
    Voodoo I don't know what's up with you but it's really weird man. You can just reply to me directly next time if you want lol
    SQ42 is still not out and honestly I don't see anything that makes it now somehow closer to being out than it was a year ago. Them saying it's content complete does not actually change anything, there's no proof anywhere and certainly no date.

Somebody happened to bring up private servers so I replied to it, it's not like goalposts magically got moved, it's just delivery of the thing I backed.

Fiatil's post was extremely even handed and your reply was to shit all over it and not actually engage.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Glitches galore tonight. Picked up an investigation mission that had me fly to a beacon out in space and then I was supposed to ping with the scanner to locate the ship I was investigating. Flew out there and the scanner on my ship wasn't working. I could hit V to put it in scanning mode, but the Left Mouse button was not firing the ping like it was supposed to. I tried pinging from the captains seat, copilot seat, and turret seat. Wouldn't work from anywhere, but all 3 seats would properly go into scanner mode with V. I dunno what was going on. Might be user error but I don't think so, because I was pushing the right buttons.

• Options
    I'll admit, I've still never actually been to Kleicher. The closest I've gotten was a couple of versions back where I found a really profitable Etam (space weed) trading route and yolo'd out when Crusader Security tried to scan my cargo. Turns out even after paying the fine I still turned a profit, crime does in fact pay boys and girls!

I've been holding off on trying the game again since it seems we're on the cusp of a bunch of pretty cool changes. I am curious to try out salvage though; does anyone know if its actually viable without a Vulture? Sounds like I'd need a multitool attachment and a bunch of RMC canisters to fill up, can you actually do the "extract intact components and sell" part with hand tools? Or... at all? It sounds like you can definitely cut off intact weapons with the vulture and sell at least. The problem I'm having is it seems that there are a bunch of "guide" sites out there these days that are literally just AI generated bullshit; I was reading one which seemed really helpful until it started talking about there being there being three different sizes of multitool and I was confused because I haven't played in a bit but that seems like the kind of change I would have heard about.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    I'm pretty down on d4 sometimes but that is a hilariously silly comparison. The desperation to validate star citizen is fascinating.

oh the irony, the desperation to shit on Star Citizen in the wake of recent good news is also worthy of psychiatric publication. I eagerly await the continual moving of goalposts. It interesting how all the posters who "just wanted SQ42" are suddenly silent.

What are you talking about dude? We just don't want to shit up the thread but SQ42 is no closer to being released and there is no recent good news. Nobody believes any of the shit Roberts is selling and it'll still be years for SQ42.

But ok!

Edit I should say I'd be more than happy for them to prove me wrong as I'd love to play it

I guess your definition of good news is different from mine (and from others here in this thread.)

Recent good news:

-Recent 'Replication Layer' test on the Evocati closed test server was a success
    -SQ42 is feature complete (yes, this does not mean content complete. But it's still good news.)

Ahh I think the issue is VoodooV phrasing it as some great triumph to finally quell the legions of haters. The final battle victory to finally dunk on all who could have possibly doubted the glory of The Roberts.

It's just all wait and see stuff from a skeptic's perspective. Your takes are more grounded and reasonable, which makes discussion easier. Like you said -- none of it is complete yet. None of us have played Squadron42, we have no idea how much longer it will be until release (I think it's reasonable to say "years" instead of "months" but correct me if I'm wrong), and we have no idea if it will be anything resembling a good game.

I personally would wait to be able to verify some of those unknown variables before doing victory laps, but we all operate differently I suppose.

That sure is a nice strawman you got there. Again there seems to be quite a bit of projection here. you seem to be simping for Roberts way more than any of us. Aint nobody really praising him here, cept for you and your strawman. I didn't even bring him up. The only one parading around talking about victory laps is you. Like I said at the beginning, those goalposts, they like to move. the "I just want SQ42" crowd now seems to be the "I just want SQ42 and now this other feature that isn't SQ42, that is likely canned that hasn't even been brought up in years...till conveniently now and suddenly we care _so_ much about it!" (such concern!) all the while lalalalalalalala-ing about any news of progress. I don't think anyone claimed SQ42 would be out in months. Hyperbole seems to be your department.

Ahh yeah man I politely explained that I thought SQ42 would be in the degree of years but allowed for someone to correct me to "months" if they were more in tune with the news and development time than me.

You're responding to me as if I'm every person that's ever criticized Star Citizen/SQ42 all combined into one convenient vessel. I'm not saying anything resembling what you seem to think I was? I didn't claim that everyone (or anyone) said it would be out in months..... Like I've literally never said anything about SQ42 in this thread until my comment you just quoted but you keep talking about "goalposts".

The enemy you're looking for is just not here. That's why you're getting the responses you are. You didn't show up to a thread with 100 people calling the game a total scam and making fun of everyone playing Star Citizen, but for some reason you're posting as if that's what's happening. No one's parading (except for you, against this unseen enemy), no one's moving goalposts.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I've actually been doing a bit of research into salvage lately, and last night was my first attempt to get on and try it with the Vulture.

From what I've gathered from watching several Youtube videos, there are 3 major types of salvage missions available in the Mobiglass:

-Standard salvage contracts. You pay a credit amount to buy the location of a known wreck and salvaging rights.
    -"Cleanup" salvage missions where they pay you to clear a wreck within a certain time limit.
    -Illegal and Risky missions. The wreck happened under suspicious or illegal circumstances and there will likely be law enforcement or pirate activity.
    I am curious to try out salvage though; does anyone know if its actually viable without a Vulture? Sounds like I'd need a multitool attachment and a bunch of RMC canisters to fill up, can you actually do the "extract intact components and sell" part with hand tools? Or... at all? It sounds like you can definitely cut off intact weapons with the vulture and sell at least.

To answer your questions - yes, I believe there is an attachment for the multitool which will allow for hand salvage.

And yes, you can salvage and recover components and sell them. Some (but not all) wrecks will have loot boxes and other things to check too, which are semi-randomized from a table and you might get lucky and find some valuable loot while exploring a wreck site.

The one other very important note:

The most lucrative of all salvage missions right now are the salvage contracts where you have to pay for a location and salvaging rights. But you don't want to actually use a Vulture OR a Reclaimer. There are high value salvage contracts where you have to pay like 50k credits to even buy into it. But apparently the payoffs are pretty huge and you will more than recover the cost of the contract. For these, you want to bring the biggest freight ship you have with the biggest cargo hold. There are shipping crates that you can collect and resell. These contracts are to explore wreckages for Hercules C2's and Caterpillars and other huge freighters. You will need to bring a multitool with the tractor beam attachment to move crates. The idea being that you arrive at the wreck in your own freighter and scoop up a bunch of goods from the wrecked freighter. It's like looting a crashed UPS truck or something. And apparently the earning potential from these missions is pretty crazy right now.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    The enemy you're looking for is just not here. That's why you're getting the responses you are. You didn't show up to a thread with 100 people calling the game a total scam and making fun of everyone playing Star Citizen, but for some reason you're posting as if that's what's happening. No one's parading (except for you, against this unseen enemy), no one's moving goalposts.

To be fair, they are here, they just aren't as vocal as they have been in the past (which I appreciate). People that haven't completely written the game off and are slightly optimistic about the progress we've seen have been alluded to as fools drinking the kool aid, suckling The Roberts teat, and outright perpetuating The Scam while we're just over here playing with our spaceships. It really is the "stop having fun!" meme in real life. I think it's understandable if some people get defensive, as this is an argument that has been retread ad nauseum.

Though I'm the one that brought up private servers and I'm on his side, I think. I was just curious as it was something they definitely mentioned several times early on but have had no mention of for a while now. I haven't really had much interest in the Star Citizen component, to be honest, since I just don't enjoy multiplayer games. SQ42 will be fine, but I was hoping for the ability to play a single-player version of SC too. I have a feeling that the economy is going to be built off the backs of people that want to play space trucker, and the people that want to play space pirate are going to run them off. Yes, there are the people that want to play space caravan guard and space 18th century British Naval fleet pirate hunter, but a lot of people aren't going to want to mess with all of that and then the space pirates will have no one to victimize.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    edited November 2023
    You're right, it's happened in general here in the past for sure.

I just don't think it's happening now (yeah a few people popped up to post "lol Star Citizen" videos after the fact -- not defending that and I think they're reacting to the thread drama), and the responses from VoodooV seem like they're directed at arguments and posters from the past battles that you're alluding to. Which leads to a really confusing conversation because there are no goal posts and I'm being hammered on about my goal posts and how I keep moving them, with a little bit of "let's throw every logical fallacy term I've heard of in there" for good measure.

If you want to talk to people about constantly moving goal posts and calling everyone who plays Star Citizen terrible, find the people that are actually doing that. Don't shadow box a couple of people who aren't doing that.

Fiatil on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular

But ok!

Recent good news:

you got an unhealthy relationship with an unfinished kickstater game from 2012 if this is how you're posting near unprovoked abt it tbh

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Ahem.

• Options
    ...and today we learned that some planets can be so windy that you get out of your ship and the damn ship blows away like a leaf on the wind.

• Options
    Should've had some sandbags in the back for ballast.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ...and today we learned that some planets can be so windy that you get out of your ship and the damn ship blows away like a leaf on the wind.

Too soon echo too soon.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Which planet? I don't want my ship to blow away.

• Options
    This was one of the moons around Crusader. Not Yela, I think.

• Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    Lots of the moon's and planets with atmosphere can have storms. I can't remember if the solution was to keep the engines on or turn them off.