As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Evil Dead: The [chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    it's not a particularly ...meaningful discussion if no one provides a definition of meaning

obviously the answers to questions like 'is it possible for a life to be meaningful', 'can a person other than the liver of a particular life determine the amount of meaning in that life', 'does my life have meaning' are heavily dependent on what we mean by 'meaning'

The driving question behind an impactful life must be, "If I were gone, would anyone notice?"

If that's the correct standard, I guess Tom Hanks stranded alone on a deserted island with a volleyball was incapable of living a meaningful life. Can an isolated introvert lead a meaningful life? Does any President of the United States automatically lead a meaningful life no matter what they do since the title of the office carries so much weight?

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    knitdan wrote: »
    Mom is super into a lot of nebulous naturopathy woo shit

When i first got sick she kept suggesting various "natural" solutions

And I finally had to tell her if even half that woo shit worked nobody would need dialysis or chemotherapy

my coworker (the one who gives his kids ivermectin daily) told me that I could cure covid with carrots

I ended up buying carrots because they're a healthy snack but I began to suspect as my covid dragged on that the carrots did nothing at all

getting status updates from the war in ukraine from this guy is fun, today the tartar mercenary army entered the fray armed with ancient, advanced weapons against the Ukranians but the Rothschilds are backing Ukraine so they'll win

Carrots are good for spontaneously developing eye lasers.

I wish I could live in a less antisemitic version of one of these conspiracy universes these people live in, it sounds fun to live in a world where things have deeper meaning and ancient forces control things

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I, for one, am honored to shitpost with all of you here in [chat]. It brings me joy in my day, and provides me with some meaning to my life. You all are good people.

Have a dancing cat.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFoWM83g-KY

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2022
    i06ci1ht5tb6.jpeg

The first two things I brought in are leftover pizza and my computer chair. Working hard to make this house a home 🤓

Organichu on
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    fourty more of those boxes and that's a home, baby

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    300 empty burger king cups

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    The first two things I brought in are leftover pizza and my computer chair. Working hard to make this house a home 🤓

That big window demands a potted plant or two.

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    Chu you fool you forgot the toilet paper

Guess you got the pizza bix though

• Options
    edited May 2022
    emnmnme wrote: »
    it's not a particularly ...meaningful discussion if no one provides a definition of meaning

obviously the answers to questions like 'is it possible for a life to be meaningful', 'can a person other than the liver of a particular life determine the amount of meaning in that life', 'does my life have meaning' are heavily dependent on what we mean by 'meaning'

The driving question behind an impactful life must be, "If I were gone, would anyone notice?"

If that's the correct standard, I guess Tom Hanks stranded alone on a deserted island with a volleyball was incapable of living a meaningful life. Can an isolated introvert lead a meaningful life? Does any President of the United States automatically lead a meaningful life no matter what they do since the title of the office carries so much weight?

impactful and meaningful are clearly different

if for nothing else: impactful is easier to define

everything in your second paragraph is just about "impactful" - you'll have to make an argument for why meaningful is the same thing.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    I have plenty of things in the car (including tp). That little civic impressed me. I’m just resting now 🤓

Organichu on
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Impactful and meaningful are interchangeable.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

that clip of the ending of Act Raiser 2 where it says something like "your deeds will be remembered forever"

And then as the credits roll its just your statue eroding over many seasons.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options

Burger King. The worst fast food. How does it stay open? My only theory is money laundering.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I love that wooden floor. chu!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »

Burger King. The worst fast food. How does it stay open? My only theory is money laundering.

they are the king all other burgers must pay taxes to them

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I got yr meaningful life right here: my friends and I built a giant dick

naoy7uxej2m3.jpg
    2pvlczanb5za.jpg
    9q9swrx4m3i6.jpg
    haotk3j60lo5.jpg

And then tore it down after horde night

7y2yzzvhjxdy.jpg
    dqcqoqbwxdf4.jpg

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Chu think of what your new place doesn't have. It's not covered in plants, it's not a hotbed of conservative rhetoric, I don't assume to speak to your masturbation habits but I assume there's not domestic violence happening.

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I got yr meaningful life right here: my friends and I built a giant dick

naoy7uxej2m3.jpg
    2pvlczanb5za.jpg
    9q9swrx4m3i6.jpg
    haotk3j60lo5.jpg

And then tore it down after horde night

7y2yzzvhjxdy.jpg
    dqcqoqbwxdf4.jpg

You've brought balance to the force

• Options
    in the bathroom you can put up a tasteful framed piece of paper with cursive writing in the middle

fart, poop, pee

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    i06ci1ht5tb6.jpeg

yes good this is A+ bachelor pad

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    I remember in norwegian class in high school we had a... I suppose mid-term is the equivalent, a tentamen (lesser than an eksamen) and I didn't study at all and instead read about stars and planets the night before and I don't remember the prompt but it was loose and like, meaning of life type prompt, and words just flew out, about our scale versus the scale of the planet and the solar system and its insignificance in the galaxy, in a lot of detail and very purple prose, and it being far less than a grain of sand is to all the sand on earth in the universe and particles and quantum mechanics and like five hours was set off to write 2000 words and an hour and three quarters in I was at 3000 and I was silently giggling to myself the whole time and went home early

I've never before or since channeled Pure Bullshit so perfectly, it was a magical feeling

I don't remember specifics but if I jumped back in time I'd add something about being nothing more than vibrational modes in various quantum fields just to push the word count higher

in secondary school I stopped trying to find Clever Twat ways to fill the required page count with as few words as possible or just barely eke out the minimum word count, and, to my teacher's anguish, discovered the joys of maxing it

trying to hit the minimum word count exactly and no more was a children's game, I realized. The far sweeter reward was making them deeply regret not setting a maximum

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I prefer the classic

c01.jpg

• Options
    also that time when three of us best friends were working together on a project, minimum 20 minute presentation, and we chose norwegian seafaring history

it took us 5 minutes to realize this was the most boring subject imaginable, and it took us 5 more to decide to just go all in

a teacher can't say, stop presenting, I'm very bored, we realized

we went for 40 minutes, I've never had more slides, we reveled in the pure cruelty of it.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    i06ci1ht5tb6.jpeg

yes good this is A+ bachelor pad

Swear all that baseboard is just so it can get dusty and be charged against the deposit.

• Options
    Weaver wrote: »
    Chu think of what your new place doesn't have. It's not covered in plants, it's not a hotbed of conservative rhetoric, I don't assume to speak to your masturbation habits but I assume there's not domestic violence happening.

Gonna pick up some gay guy on tinder, bring him back here, and then just badger the shit out of him about how Biden causes gas prices to go up

• Options
    I am not sure how the decorating is going to proceed. I had some good plans but it is costing me a ton of money to move early, so who knows when seating (or even a TV) is going to happen. Maybe I’ll just skip food for a couple months to finance furnishings.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Impactful and meaningful are interchangeable.

no they're not

a volcano is impactful; it has no meaning, words are meaningful, regardless of their impact - in most senses of the two words they don't mean the same thing at all

and to, in any narrow senses, do mean the same thing really depends on a definition of "meaning" and I'm not sure a decent one would do that

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I am not sure how the decorating is going to proceed. I had some good plans but it is costing me a ton of money to move early, so who knows when seating (or even a TV) is going to happen. Maybe I’ll just skip food for a couple months to finance furnishings.

Use those grocery store contacts to get the best dumpster dives.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I dropped about $3 grand today on gym stuff

it's all so heavy and great and I just keep thinking about how my computer cost like, 2/3rds of that

and I wasn't nearly as like, "oh god what have I done' about that

• Options
    I'm wide awake I'm just very exhausted and now it's almost 8 am

evening shift in the door intersected very poorly with my current sleep schedule; having one today, too, intersects worse

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I dropped about $3 grand today on gym stuff

it's all so heavy and great and I just keep thinking about how my computer cost like, 2/3rds of that

and I wasn't nearly as like, "oh god what have I done' about that

You sound like you can't wait to overclock your biceps

• Options
    Sounds like I need to kidnap tyrannus before they get too much use of this new gym stuff

• Options
    Easily the most bizarre part about this apartment: this desk is built in and it has no way to route cables. I don’t just mean it doesn’t have a convenient grommet, or anything. It is firmly against the wall with zero gap on all sides. The only way to put anything electronic under the desk (like a PC tower) is to run the cabling uh, out through the front and then up. I do have a hole saw so I might bore a hole into the desktop. Or I might just put the PC to the left of the desk and run the cabling up the wall.

bhsfp1h6c8mf.jpeg

• Options
    That sounds cool tyrannus, are you finally gonna start working out??

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Sounds like I need to kidnap tyrannus before they get too much use of this new gym stuff

Do it before tyrannus becomes too strong to stop!

• Options
    Easily the most bizarre part about this apartment: this desk is built in and it has no way to route cables. I don’t just mean it doesn’t have a convenient grommet, or anything. It is firmly against the wall with zero gap on all sides. The only way to put anything electronic under the desk (like a PC tower) is to run the cabling uh, out through the front and then up. I do have a hole saw so I might bore a hole into the desktop. Or I might just put the PC to the left of the desk and run the cabling up the wall.

bhsfp1h6c8mf.jpeg

put down some proper heavy duty tape before you cut into it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

bhsfp1h6c8mf.jpeg
    I personally would run some cable raceways along the back and the sides of the desk. Then you can shove your cables into the raceway and hide them pretty effectively.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I decided it was finally time

to set my pronouns on PA

• Options
    edited May 2022
    but also yes that is proper bizarre

that's not insignificant effort done for a result that is both impractical and, only very marginally better than some much, much easier ways

(regular desk with legs just push it against the wall, slap a couple brackets on that black cupboard next to it and avoid the legs, etc)

I can kinda see why, with that annoying placement of the power outlet, but that would bother me so much that I'd run dodgy extension cables through the building to have something to plug the PC into and use the outlet on the middle of the bloody wall solely for like, phone charger, on occasion

edit: or, well, no. I can see why they didn't bother with any way to run wires by it. Don't know why it needs to be so damn built in, though.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.