As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Uvalde Shooting: 19 elementary school children dead, 2 adults

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Slate editor:

Victor Escalon, Regional Director, South Texas, Department of Public Safety literally just said of cops involved: "I'm a father. I can't go home tonight and hug my kids. That hurts. The members behind me--our family members. Their kids. It's tough. It's hard." What the holy fuck.
    He can't hug his kids because he had to investigate a mass murder. That is similar to not being able to hug your kids because they are dead?

Has anyone told these chucklefucks that the big cowboy hat is inappropriate when you're trying to be serious?

All hat and no cattle.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    cbs wrote:
    Department of Public Safety Director Steve McCraw told reporters that 40 minutes to an hour elapsed from when the gunman opened fire on the school security officer to when the tactical team shot him, though a department spokesman said later that they could not give a solid estimate of how long the gunman was in the school or when he was killed.

Olivarez said the officers who first responded to the scene "were at a point of disadvantage" and were not able to make entry.

NPR wrote:
    Officials say he "encountered" a school district security officer outside the school, though there were conflicting reports from authorities on whether the men exchanged gunfire. After running inside, he fired on two arriving Uvalde police officers who were outside the building, said Texas Department of Public Safety spokesperson Travis Considine. The police officers were injured.

The Slate wrote:
    They did contain him in the classroom.”

That was the best defense Texas Public Safety Director Steve McCraw could offer on Wednesday of the police response to the mass shooting that killed 19 kids and two teachers at an elementary school in Uvalde, Texas, on Tuesday. Police took 14 minutes to arrive after the first 911 call as the shooter fired off rounds outside the school for 12 minutes; then, after an initial exchange of gunfire, they waited outside the building for more than an hour while the shooter remained in the school. Parents and bystanders urged them to confront the gunman again.

• Options
    So none of those stories mention the second shoot out they are now claiming happened that totally justified them sitting on their hands.

And contain in the classroom is a weird way of saying "sacrificed an entire class room of children to a mass murderer." Like in the same way Burke contained the aliens to fucking Hadley's Hope.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    We contained him inside of his objective where he was trying to kill kids! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Do they even listen to themselves?

Also, I thought originally he had pushed desks up against a door etc to barricade himself in. Literally what he did was fucking walk into classroom, lock door and start shooting. All those police were defeated BY A GOD DAMNED SINGLE LOCKED DOOR.

Everything about this just continues to show how fucked everything in America is. From its militarized police who are only capable of bullying minorities and the unarmed, to the fact an 18 year old wanker with a death wish can buy 3+ assault rifles to kill children at his whim. Then you have the right wing just trolling libs for fun and being as absurdly offensive as possible, because they are confident nothing can happen about this. I'm unspeakably angry and I thought I'd lost all of my potential anger from years of this with nothing happening.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    I’m still trying to figure out if the security guard is the guy married to one of the teachers that was killed

He ran their active shooter prep there 3 weeks ago and he’s mentioned as a guard for the district in his wife’s teacher bio on the school website

Also all the graduating seniors from the high school did a parade in their caps and gowns that morning at the elementary school

Captain Inertia on
  • Options
    Also, I have just realized that this shooting is one of the first I can think of where the gunman would have grown up with active shooter drills and been inherently familiar with how responses to shootings like this in schools work. Essentially active shooter drills are not just training kids - they're training the next generation of school shooters in how to respond effectively and maximize casualties.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2022
    https://www.mediaite.com/tv/texas-police-lieutenant-says-cops-were-reluctant-to-engage-gunman-because-they-couldve-been-shot/
    On Thursday’s The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, the host discussed the Tuesday’s horrifying events with DPS Lt. Chris Olivarez.
    The active shooter situation, you want to stop the killing, you want to preserve life, but also one thing that – of course, the American people need to understand — that officers are making entry into this building. They do not know where the gunman is. They are hearing gunshots.

They are receiving gunshots. At that point, if they proceeded any further not knowing where the suspect was at, they could’ve been shot, they could’ve been killed, and that gunman would have had an opportunity to kill other people inside that school.

Watch above, via CNN.
    Just digging their graves at this point

Couscous on
  • Options
    Probably want to ban the gun that makes police afraid to engage

• Options
    TuminTumin Registered User regular
    You see it's very dangerous for cops that anyone, anywhere, could have a gun

• Options
    edited May 2022
    Tumin wrote: »

It's weird seeing this as a defense for the police by some sources. So your guy is crazily armed with weapons that can out match standard police firearms and body armor.

How is that not an argument for gun control?

Aegeri on
  • Options

Its actually why some not insane police support gun control efforts.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Preacher wrote: »

...with the usual carve-outs for off-duty cops.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    So none of those stories mention the second shoot out they are now claiming happened that totally justified them sitting on their hands.

And contain in the classroom is a weird way of saying "sacrificed an entire class room of children to a mass murderer." Like in the same way Burke contained the aliens to fucking Hadley's Hope.

Don’t worry guys, we contained the bomb to Hiroshima

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    The actual legislation I expect to see in Texas is banning door locks in schools

• Options
    The actual legislation I expect to see in Texas is banning door locks in schools

Arm the police with padlocks!!!!

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Their current talking point is make it so schools only have one entrance/exit. So if someone wants to kill kids they can kill thousands at once in a fire.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Doc wrote: »

...with the usual carve-outs for off-duty cops.

Well they are still cops doc, they don't want to disarm themselves so they can't kill their spouses, neighbors, someone who just upset them that day who was "Coming right at me."

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Their current talking point is make it so schools only have one entrance/exit. So if someone wants to kill kids they can kill thousands at once in a fire.

I’ve heard several people say they’d never do it, but if the lie gets enough support I wouldn’t bet against it.

• Options

I’ve heard several people say they’d never do it, but if the lie gets enough support I wouldn’t bet against it.

Coming up with completely fucking stupid and implausible ideas is always a distraction. The more people are talking about anything that isn't "Ban or restrict all firearms" the better for them.

• Options

I mean at the very least they'll do it in red states. Because they have to save face.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The thing about terrible ideas as a distraction is that people eventually actually start believing it

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Or, you know, when they all leave

Everyone all together

Out the one door

At the same time every day

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

Provided these cops aren't visited by the underside of the proverbial bus if this continues to blow up, I fully expect a "no duty to engage" law to come about. But within a day or two they'll come out blaming the parents for distracting them and forcing them to guard the outside of the school instead of responding.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I'm sure there's a fire marshall screaming at his TV right now at the fucking dipshittery of this concept.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    Also from everything I understand, background checks and red flag laws would not have done anything to stop this guy picking up his weapons and killing kids. Despite my earlier thoughts, it doesn't look like he has a known record of police reports about domestic violence and similar issues - even if he did start everything by shooting his grandmother. So I'm unclear (right now) what could have been done to stop him acquiring guns out of the "palatable to implement for right wing fuckwits" options of background checks or potential red flag laws.

I think this shooting happens regardless of those kind of things.

• Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    The only single entrance design I am willing to accept is The Gates of Erebor(Elementarybor?) for all of our new school fortresses.

However they also need to provide secret side doors that only open during a specific phase of the moon.
    66hmjygj882c.png

• Options
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Also from everything I understand, background checks and red flag laws would not have done anything to stop this guy picking up his weapons and killing kids. Despite my earlier thoughts, it doesn't look like he has a known record of police reports about domestic violence and similar issues - even if he did start everything by shooting his grandmother. So I'm unclear (right now) what could have been done to stop him acquiring guns out of the "palatable to implement for right wing fuckwits" options of background checks or potential red flag laws.

Probably want to ban the gun that makes police afraid to engage

• Options
    That really does look like the only option here doesn't it!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Provided these cops aren't visited by the underside of the proverbial bus if this continues to blow up, I fully expect a "no duty to engage" law to come about. But within a day or two they'll come out blaming the parents for distracting them and forcing them to guard the outside of the school instead of responding.

Didn’t they already blame the parents for not researching if the school they sent their kids to was shoot-up-able? I recall seeing that on Fox yesterday.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    The more I learn of this shitshow the more enraged I'm becoming

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In case you want to know what's going to be posted ad nauseum by the right for the next two months:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-woman-killed-man-fired-rifle-party-crowd-85002437

As though some lives being saved somehow cancels out all the lives taken. I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    In case you want to know what's going to be posted ad nauseum by the right for the next two months:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-woman-killed-man-fired-rifle-party-crowd-85002437

As though some lives being saved somehow cancels out all the lives taken. I'm getting angry just thinking about it.

Oh look another situation that wouldn't have happened if people didn't have AR-15s.

• Options

If they were more self aware this would almost be considered a swipe at what happened in Texas with “Instead of running from the threat, she engaged with the threat and saved several lives last night”.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Also holy shit it's been what, a couple of days and the main distinction here is this was only an attempted mass shooting?

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

A waiting period would probably help. He bought both of his assault rifles less than 2 weeks ago.

Dark_Side wrote: »

Do you mean a "duty to engage" law? Because no duty to engage is already the law, as far as the courts see it.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited May 2022

If they were more self aware this would almost be considered a swipe at what happened in Texas with “Instead of running from the threat, she engaged with the threat and saved several lives last night”.

Someone who wasn't a cop and was still willing to engage the active shooter. Kinda like the parents at Uvalde were trying to do. Until the police tased and handcuffed them.

Madican on
  • Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular

Oh look another situation that wouldn't have happened if people didn't have AR-15s.

Not discussed is the idea that someone sees a woman reach into her purse and pull out a gun and shoot someone. She's lucky a different good guy with a gun wasn't on scene, who didn't see the first guy. And a different good guy with a gun didn't see the second guy. The whole argument always hinges on everyone having perfect tactical awareness, and that only the actual bad guy is seen as a threat.

Also, under reasonable gun control measures, she'd be more likely to still be allowed to carry, than he would be to get the AR-15. Because most places with gun bans don't actually ban guns. They just make it significantly more difficult to acquire/license.

That's one of my major issues with this shit. It seems that most of the people complaining are worried that they'll be recognized as not sufficiently competent to retain gun ownership. Which is kind of a self-tell. If you're inordinately angry that you might not be able to own your weapons, then it's probably a sign you shouldn't be allowed to own your weapons.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Anything but reducing the number of guns

Anything but the one thing that can actually stop this from happening again

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2022
    A local news station has an account from one of the children who survived the attack. Disclaimer that it's positively heart-rending to watch the video.

This portion, though, stood out:
    The boy and four others hid under a table that had a tablecloth over it, which may have shielded them from the shooter's view and saved their lives. The boy shared heartbreaking details about what happened in that room.

“When the cops came, the cop said: 'Yell if you need help!' And one of the persons in my class said 'help.' The guy overheard and he came in and shot her," the boy said. "The cop barged into that classroom. The guy shot at the cop. And the cops started shooting.”

I didn't think I could be any more upset with the cops, but holy fuck.

TetraNitroCubane on