As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Science thread for space and earth and life and just all of that

17891012

Posts

  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    But have you considered simultaneous 4-sided days? Timecube has the answers you seek

    Wouldn't a time cube have 6 sides?

  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    But have you considered simultaneous 4-sided days? Timecube has the answers you seek

    Wouldn't a time cube have 6 sides?

    that's just what those cubists want you to think

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    Captain InertiaBahamutZEROOlivawsarukunElvenshaevalhalla130Zilla360
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    A time cube has Σ sides.

  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My wife and I were talking and I got to thinking about the super early humans (or whatever they're classified as, I don't know the proper terminology) like homo erectus and neanderthals and such, and what they were like. I was wondering about like what if they hadn't all died out and had continued to live alongside us. How would modern humans have treated them (or rather, continued to treat them since I think we did live alongside some of them?)? I just don't know much about them and I guess I should go read up

    JtgVX0H.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    My basic understanding is that our inability to let them live along side us is why they no longer exist.

    Captain InertiafurlionBurtletoyElvenshaevalhalla130Zilla360Munkus Beaver
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    My wife and I were talking and I got to thinking about the super early humans (or whatever they're classified as, I don't know the proper terminology) like homo erectus and neanderthals and such, and what they were like. I was wondering about like what if they hadn't all died out and had continued to live alongside us. How would modern humans have treated them (or rather, continued to treat them since I think we did live alongside some of them?)? I just don't know much about them and I guess I should go read up

    I think you might be mixing up some things. Early humans, also called archaic humans, lived alongside the neanderthals and other denisovans. This was only a few hundred thousand years ago. The species you mentioned, homo erectus, lived a few million years ago and was the ancestor of both us and the other species. There are several different branches of Homo and there was a period where several different species did live together and interbreed. Given the fact that we interbred we probably treated each other fairly ok. Rape is obviously always a possibility but given how many people carry around that DNA still that seems unlikely to be the only reason there was interbreeding.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    AbdhyiusDarmakDuke 2.0DouglasDangerHappy Little MachineA Kobold's KoboldElvenshaeZilla360
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    But have you considered simultaneous 4-sided days? Timecube has the answers you seek

    Wouldn't a time cube have 6 sides?

    Oh most definitely not, lol

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    Tynnan wrote: »
    3cl1ps3 wrote: »
    I would be very, very hesitant to chalk extremely complex traits like behavior up to very basal level molecular interactions like that, and in any case at absolute best those hypotheses are totally unfalsifiable so the most anyone can do is go "neat idea! anyway."

    I have an entirely rational dislike of that one xkcd comic about applied sciences

    the one most pertinent to this situation seems to be this one

    physicists.png



    kinda


    actually no not really everyone is being much, much too polite about that absolutely moronic idea. I'm still kinda thinking it has to be a joke.

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    Zilla360
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Poe’s Law is dead

  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    furlion wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    My wife and I were talking and I got to thinking about the super early humans (or whatever they're classified as, I don't know the proper terminology) like homo erectus and neanderthals and such, and what they were like. I was wondering about like what if they hadn't all died out and had continued to live alongside us. How would modern humans have treated them (or rather, continued to treat them since I think we did live alongside some of them?)? I just don't know much about them and I guess I should go read up

    I think you might be mixing up some things. Early humans, also called archaic humans, lived alongside the neanderthals and other denisovans. This was only a few hundred thousand years ago. The species you mentioned, homo erectus, lived a few million years ago and was the ancestor of both us and the other species. There are several different branches of Homo and there was a period where several different species did live together and interbreed. Given the fact that we interbred we probably treated each other fairly ok. Rape is obviously always a possibility but given how many people carry around that DNA still that seems unlikely to be the only reason there was interbreeding.

    Neanderthals are so crazy to think about - that alongside modern humans there lived another subspecies of human, not very long ago at all

    another species who wove clothes and made art and tools, it is pretty nuts

    Zw.jpg
    (neanderthal hand stencil from the cave of Maltravieso, cirka 40'000 years old)


    and I had never even heard of denisovans until I read your post just now

    I'm gonna pour myself a gin and tonic and dive deep into the wikis tonight

    edit:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbgnlkJPga4

    the hand used for this particular stencil having four fingers reminded me of this absolutely beautiful piece

    Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    furlionDarmakElvenshaeZilla360
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    But have you considered simultaneous 4-sided days? Timecube has the answers you seek

    Wouldn't a time cube have 6 sides?

    Oh most definitely not, lol

    y'know, all the times I tried to wrap my head around the particular insanity of that delightful fella, it never occured to me to realize that he kept saying cube when he absolutely for sure is talking about squares

    ftOqU21.png
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »
    My wife and I were talking and I got to thinking about the super early humans (or whatever they're classified as, I don't know the proper terminology) like homo erectus and neanderthals and such, and what they were like. I was wondering about like what if they hadn't all died out and had continued to live alongside us. How would modern humans have treated them (or rather, continued to treat them since I think we did live alongside some of them?)? I just don't know much about them and I guess I should go read up

    I think you might be mixing up some things. Early humans, also called archaic humans, lived alongside the neanderthals and other denisovans. This was only a few hundred thousand years ago. The species you mentioned, homo erectus, lived a few million years ago and was the ancestor of both us and the other species. There are several different branches of Homo and there was a period where several different species did live together and interbreed. Given the fact that we interbred we probably treated each other fairly ok. Rape is obviously always a possibility but given how many people carry around that DNA still that seems unlikely to be the only reason there was interbreeding.

    Neanderthals are so crazy to think about - that alongside modern humans there lived another subspecies of human, not very long ago at all

    another species who wove clothes and made art and tools, it is pretty nuts

    Zw.jpg
    (neanderthal hand stencil from the cave of Maltravieso, cirka 40'000 years old)


    and I had never even heard of denisovans until I read your post just now

    I'm gonna pour myself a gin and tonic and dive deep into the wikis tonight

    It is crazy! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homo is a great place to start if you want to learn more about our evolutionary history. For some reason people often assume that we are the only homo species that ever existed. We had several cousins who lived alongside us. Some people still carry part of their DNA in them to this day!

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    Darmak
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    The gradual disappearance of homo sapiens neanderthalensis is still a mystery due to lack of evidence, but one possibility is that they and homo sapiens sapiens regularly interbred, but only offspring from female homo sapiens sapiens tended to be viable or fertile for some reason, which is a thing we sometimes see happen in other hybrid species in nature, as opposed to having viable offspring from mothers of either subspecies. Modern humans have some neanderthal DNA, but no neanderthal mitochondrial DNA lineages, which is passed down through the mother exclusively. So if that's what happened, over tens of thousands of years that led to the gene pools of the small neanderthal populations being gradually pushed into becoming populations of humans with a bit of neanderthal DNA, which fits with we see in modern humans, everyone having mostly genomes traceable to our ancestors in africa, with a small amount of genome traceable to neanderthals. But there's not enough samples of neanderthal genomes to say for sure that there were no successful hybrids born from neanderthal mothers.

    So if that's the case, the neanderthal lineage simply merged into the human lineage, and we are the descendants of both.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    DarmakfurlionDuke 2.0DouglasDangerHappy Little MachineA Kobold's KoboldElvenshaeZilla360
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2023
    xrkpoE9.jpg

    edit: I am surprised that Nick Kroll starred in that show, but I really shouldn't be.

    Depressperado on
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    Our understanding of archaic humans and relatives has exploded like so many fields of science. Denisovans are a relatively new addition to the family tree, and Neanderthals have gone from brutish, barely-tool-using cavemen to pretty much toe-to-toe with sapiens. It’s awesome.

    DepressperadoZilla360
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    There are so many hominids that died out way back then. They existed at one point and then they didn't.

    DepressperadoZilla360
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's fascinating what a bad idea staring directly at the sun through eclipse glasses feels like. Your eyes are perfectly sheltered and comfortable, and all the heat receptors in your face are coughing and shuffling and asking "We entirely sure about this course of action, boss?"

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    DepressperadoElvenshaeZilla360
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I just went and looked at it with my bare eyes

    I am very smart

    JtgVX0H.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Fantastic post/av synergy

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    DarmakBahamutZEROfurlionDisruptedCapitalistDiarmuidElvenshae3cl1ps3SkeithLJDouglasMorninglordvalhalla130SporkAndrewhonovereZilla360
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I tried to go look at it but it was severely overcast here until nearly an hour after peak eclipsyness

    You could tell something was happening though because for about 10-15 minutes it became weirdly gloomy.

  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Well, there's a better one coming up in just a few months.

    EclipsePAX in Dallas on April 8?

    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited October 2023
    fun eclipse factz I just learned: the moon is, by pure chance, just barely the right size and relative distance from the sun and from the earth to be able to achieve total solar eclipse, and there's no other moon and planet pair in the solar system that can get a closer total eclipse than us.

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    JedocMorninglordfurlion3cl1ps3BurtletoyElvenshaeZilla360Happy Little MachineFishman
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    It's a pretty great prank. Make a planet where the sun gets eaten by an unseen force at wildly unpredictable intervals and just watch the mythology go.

    GDdCWMm.jpg
    kimefurlion3cl1ps3Burtletoyvalhalla130InvisibleInkElvenshaeMvrckPeewiZilla360Happy Little MachineFishman
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    fun eclipse factz I just learned: the moon is, by pure chance, just barely the right size and relative distance from the sun and from the earth to be able to achieve total solar eclipse, and there's no other moon and planet pair in the solar system that can get a closer total eclipse than us.

    And it won't last forever! The moon is slowing drifting away from us, like 1.5 inches a year. It'll be something like 500 million years or something but eventually all eclipses here will be annular.

    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
    furlionBurtletoyhonovereZilla360
  • furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Similar thing going on with Saturn's rings. In a few hundred thousand years they will be gone. Not exactly a short timeline for us, but on the scale of the universe it is a remarkable coincidence.

    sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    BurtletoyDisruptedCapitalistdestroyah87Zilla360
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    Similar thing going on with Saturn's rings. In a few hundred thousand years they will be gone. Not exactly a short timeline for us, but on the scale of the universe it is a remarkable coincidence.

    And, by all available knowledge we have of Saturn's rings; they're younger than both Sharks and Trees.

    steam_sig.png
    furlionElvenshaeZilla360
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Okay science thread, can your precious science explain this?

    ljihlg9xizeg.jpg

    I posted it in a geology subreddit but got no responses. This is volcanic rock, what makes these cool circular patterns? Is it from a bubble in the lava?

  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    The rock cools from the outside first, so the outside solidifies creating a layer of rock, then the next layer cools and then another until it's all cold rock. Then the wind comes along and says, "your cool, but not cool enough" and erodes the shit out of the rock until it looks like that.

    Edit: Granite (which is what I'm assuming that volcanic rock is) is formed when a magma chamber underground cools and solidifies. Then the rock is pushed to the surface either through uplift or erosion.

    Veevee on
    Elvenshae3cl1ps3TynnanfurlionZilla360Kadithvalhalla130Duke 2.0
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    fucking damnit. I tried searching for "circular formation in igneous rock" and both Google and DDG were like, oh you're just searching for "igneous rock" and nothing else, right? So all my results are just articles explaining igneous rock for like an 8-year-old perspective and nothing else.

    Fucking useless.

    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    ElvenshaeBrovid HasselsmofTynnanA Kobold's KoboldfurlionAbdhyiusZilla360sarukunDuke 2.0
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited January 16
    fucking damnit. I tried searching for "circular formation in igneous rock" and both Google and DDG were like, oh you're just searching for "igneous rock" and nothing else, right? So all my results are just articles explaining igneous rock for like an 8-year-old perspective and nothing else.

    Fucking useless.

    Add "-cycle" to the end of it and you'll get good results. Like this:

    igtxtr_sm.gif

    Heffling on
    Zilla360
  • hiraethhiraeth SpaceRegistered User regular
    If you put circular in quotation marks it forces it to include it

    https://www.google.com/search?q=igneous+rock+"circular"

    And with those results it looks like it might be something they call a Diapir, but I dunno.

  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I wore a diapir when I was an infant.

    BahamutZERODisruptedCapitalistElvenshae
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    I wore a diapir when I was an infant.

    Did you grow up in Bedrock alongside Bamm-Bamm and Pebbles?

    steam_sig.png
    valhalla130agoaj
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 17


    Smartphone games full of MTX, is what this makes me think of. Ooh! Shiny! Pleasing noises!$£ Kerching!
    ...The dataset comprises behavioral and physiological data from ten mice over 39 sessions on a two-alternative unforced choice task. Mice sit on a plastic apparatus with their forepaws on a rotating wheel, surrounded by three computer monitors. At each trial that was started by briefly holding the wheel, visual stimuli (Gabor patch with σ 9° and 45° direction) with four grading levels were displayed on the right, left, both, or neither screen (Fig. 1a). The stimulus was presented in the mouse’s central monocular zones, and the animal did not need to move its head to perceive it.

    Zilla360 on
    NH844lc.png | PSN | GACSALB.jpg My Blog |🏳️‍⚧️♥️
    BahamutZERO
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 19
    hiraeth wrote: »
    If you put circular in quotation marks it forces it to include it

    https://www.google.com/search?q=igneous+rock+"circular"

    And with those results it looks like it might be something they call a Diapir, but I dunno.


    Huh. I was under the impression that using quotation marks didn't work anymore.

    DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    fucking damnit. I tried searching for "circular formation in igneous rock" and both Google and DDG were like, oh you're just searching for "igneous rock" and nothing else, right? So all my results are just articles explaining igneous rock for like an 8-year-old perspective and nothing else.

    Fucking useless.

    Add "-cycle" to the end of it and you'll get good results. Like this:

    igtxtr_sm.gif

    Huh. I was under the impression that using quotation marks didn't work anymore.

    of course they do, but you're still at the mercy of the search engine results

    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    tynicDisruptedCapitalistGvzbgul3cl1ps3
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 23
    in fact even google advanced search exists, you just have to get to it by typing and searching "advanced search" in google itself. all of its options work. I did an information searching course last year that expected us to use them (along with other databases of course) and you definitely can still lack in google fu.

    You can't do anything in advanced search you can't do with commands and filters in the search box, it just puts it all in one handy place on one screen so you don't have to click around to filter by year or remember what the command is.

    https://www.google.com.au/advanced_search

    One command taht I get a lot of use out of nowadays now that google has gone to shit is putting - in front of the term. You search, look at your page of results, identify whatever garbage term google thinks you want, and then you go in and do -"garbage term I don't want" and it will get rid of a lot of it. If they've done stupid seo shit that uses synonyms for the garbage term, get rid of those too.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    GvzbgulDisruptedCapitalistBahamutZEROTox
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 30
    https://youtu.be/uf6FjACR1f4
    apparently they actually just asked Sally Ride if 100 tampons was the right amount rather than sending that many but yeah

    BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    There's going to be a total solar eclipse on April 8th that will pass over my area. Should get totality for just under 2 minutes here from what I read.

    I need to source some solar eclipse viewing glasses before April I guess.

    Last time I was studying for my GED at the library in '17 so they had some there if I remember correctly. That was only a partial though but still quite a little thing to see.

    3cl1ps3BahamutZEROZilla360
Sign In or Register to comment.