Options

pride [chat]

19495969798100»

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    japan wrote: »
    Forest management is mostly a low stress, low wage kind of deal. The further up the ladder you go (and into better pay) you do less and less in the field, which tends to mean you get people staying for years in the same role because they've hit a sweet spot.

I could go private and earn quite a bit more, but eh. Maybe when the next baby arrives, or our hostile conservative government achieves their goal of dismantling the civil service.

The accountancy firm I worked for hired someone (a corporate services type person) from the forestry service a while ago

They were making a move out of the public sector into a private professional services firm quite late in their career and the culture shock was so extreme they left after two weeks, effectively saying (very nicely and without burning bridges, it wasn't acrimonious): "you people are all insane"

was it the work hours or...?

I'm guessing trees don't have tax filing crunch times

Workload, mostly

Essentially the set of tasks that they were performing for one organisation in their previous role now had to be performed for a portfolio of clients, each of which a similar size or larger

It wasn't an inherently unmanageable workload, but it was the change in perspective from doing the task in the time available, to dividing up your available time, fitting the tasks to be done into a limited span of time, and scaling the level of detail/quality to suit. So less "I need to do [X] by [deadline]" and more "I have half a day to do [X], what can I do in that time that fulfills the criteria?"

The other aspect was combining that with dealing with timesheets for the first time. It's very easy to realise that you have, for example, spent all morning trying to get your inbox under control and then find yourself trying to work out of any of that was billable

• Options
    Echo wrote: »
    Legalize spraying smokers with water bottles.

This song brought to you by free association

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=673piPuB_yA

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    my boss just told me he's leaving the company next month

i am terrified that his replacement is actually going to make me work hard

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
  • Options
    CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Yeah we get a lot of people coming into forestry from more high stress careers looking to calm down a bit. For some its too laid back; once they've recuperated a bit they leave again haha.

If you like the outdoors, don't mind shite weather and can stand the low pay its a great field to work in. Sometimes I stop and marvel that I'm essentially paid to stroll around highland forests with my dog.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I can't tell if you're mad the x free articles thing isn't working or the concept of websites charging people for journalism in general.
    if you want to read nonpaywalled news articles, simply read the epoch times

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Nooooo I woke up at 3am and I don't even work today

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Jesus apparently the Saudis offered Tiger almost 1bn to play in their Golf League

• Options
    So far no one who's signed up for it has said well look it's an absurd amount of money and after much consideration I thought yes I would like to have that. It's all been about the healing power of golf and building bridges and maybe this tournament will stop them from dismembering any more people in embassies.

• Options
    Also lady on the dentist receptionist desk don't get snotty with me when I'm understandably annoyed that my appointment has been cancelled by you and now you're unable to find anything at a similar time for 3 months afterwards. It's annoying! I'm understandably annoyed!

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Forest management is mostly a low stress, low wage kind of deal. The further up the ladder you go (and into better pay) you do less and less in the field, which tends to mean you get people staying for years in the same role because they've hit a sweet spot.

I could go private and earn quite a bit more, but eh. Maybe when the next baby arrives, or our hostile conservative government achieves their goal of dismantling the civil service.

The accountancy firm I worked for hired someone (a corporate services type person) from the forestry service a while ago

They were making a move out of the public sector into a private professional services firm quite late in their career and the culture shock was so extreme they left after two weeks, effectively saying (very nicely and without burning bridges, it wasn't acrimonious): "you people are all insane"

Workload, mostly

Essentially the set of tasks that they were performing for one organisation in their previous role now had to be performed for a portfolio of clients, each of which a similar size or larger

It wasn't an inherently unmanageable workload, but it was the change in perspective from doing the task in the time available, to dividing up your available time, fitting the tasks to be done into a limited span of time, and scaling the level of detail/quality to suit. So less "I need to do [X] by [deadline]" and more "I have half a day to do [X], what can I do in that time that fulfills the criteria?"

The other aspect was combining that with dealing with timesheets for the first time. It's very easy to realise that you have, for example, spent all morning trying to get your inbox under control and then find yourself trying to work out of any of that was billable

I've encountered timesheets many times in my career, and I can confidently say they were all completely fictional.

In fact the one's I dealt with working for a bank, we were explicitly told in our induction "this is not a timesheet of what you worked on. Your manager will tell you what to put in it. If you do it wrong then our funding gets cut."

• Options
    A Kobold's KoboldA Kobold's Kobold He/Him MississippiRegistered User regular
    *wakes up to the sound of the dog running up and down the stairs*

when does this dog fucking sleep

Switch Friend Code: SW-3011-6091-2364
  • Options
    Apparently Disney is going deep into focus grouping their Star Wars hotel after being unable to understand why a $5000 a stay exclusively indoors hotel with no windows is flopping

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My timesheet is kept to the minute, but I don't think it's actually used for anything - I don't have clients to bill or anything, and I think it's just relevant to the higher ups to know that 30% of the department's time is spent on customer-facing activities or whatever, and my activities aren't going to move the needle much if I rounded to the nearest 15 minutes

I probably don't need to be as accurate, but I got into the habit when I was working in the contact centre and they did check that we weren't avoiding taking calls

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Also a company here that makes train cars is currently shut down until next week after the Union walked out after they called for a criminal probe into the most recent "industrial accident resulting in death" the 3rd in 18 months

• Options
    Someone outbid me on eBay for a bargain priced thing by 51p. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee, jo_____8979.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Someone outbid me on eBay for a bargain priced thing by 51p. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee, jo_____8979.

that's a robot-as name.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Atomika wrote: »
    I would like to lose about 30 more pounds

I’ve had six salads in the last week, so it’ll happen any day now

That’s not enough salad. Maybe try having like 10,000 salads per week to increase the weight loss.

10,000 hours of eating salad

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

that's a robot-as name.

EBay does that automatically

i think mine is like first two initials of my first name, first two initials of my surname and a string of numbers and I never bothered changing it

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Turns out people are indeed numbers.

• Options

Workload, mostly

I've encountered timesheets many times in my career, and I can confidently say they were all completely fictional.

In fact the one's I dealt with working for a bank, we were explicitly told in our induction "this is not a timesheet of what you worked on. Your manager will tell you what to put in it. If you do it wrong then our funding gets cut."

My firm, for all its faults, actually does the opposite

The timesheet is the record of what actually happened. Most of what we bill is on fixed fee or fixed day rate bases, so the only purpose that the timesheet serves is as a record that allows us to determine the difference between the time we expected something to take and what it actually took

I'm a timesheet approver and have given people a bollocking for not recording time before

That said, this is really hard to drill into people that have come from different environments. What tends to do it is when they realise that lying on their timesheet such that it appears they are delivering everything to time means their workload never reduces, whereas people that work on things that consistently run over tend to get more time to do them.

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    firms that require timesheets should make timesheeting easy: the timesheet should be compatible with any one of those innumerable pomodoro apps that allow you to instantly book what you are doing right now, rather than being some fiddly thing with twenty billion subcodes to satisfy some manager's Excel graph fetish

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was blasting along at warp 0.7

@Bogart will create the new thread
    @Bogart is backup

• Options
    I'll get to it in a few minutes. If you snipe my [chat] I'll wreak a terrible vengeance on you.

This discussion has been closed.