Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - Dalliance

2»

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Is the strain of anti-technology thought in leftist/progressive spheres an unfortunate backlash to libertarian techbro horseshit, or am I only recently becoming aware of something that tracks all the way back to the original Luddites?

There's a certain soul-killing humor that the arguments used against technological developments reflect the ones conservatives use elsewhere. No no, we don't hate THIS advancement or THAT advancement (because everyone would look at us like lunatics if we did), we just want to be slow about THIS one that's DEFINITELY bad for the world.

Kamar on
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    Is the strain of anti-technology strain of thought in leftist/progressive spheres an unfortunate backlash to libertarian techbro horseshit, or am I only recently becoming aware of something that tracks all the way back to the original Luddites?

Before that. It's just done nothing but accelerate.
    There's a certain soul-killing humor that the arguments used against technological developments reflect the ones conservatives use elsewhere. No no, we don't hate THIS advancement or THAT advancement (because everyone would look at us like lunatics if we did), we just want to be slow about THIS one that's DEFINITELY bad for the world.

I don't find it soul-killing, because it's pretty important what the thing is that's actually being argued about. Splitting the atom is an advancement. But atomic bombs were maybe a bad idea. And maybe we should have went a little more slow on nuclear energy until we figured out a way to actually put the waste somewhere good first, before we had piles of it in every state with no long-term home.

• Options
    Armored ChocoboArmored Chocobo Registered User regular
    Dall-E is really only good at pop culture. Things that are literally Cultural DNA at this point. If you want Darth Vader shopping in a Wal-Mart 2023, Colorized, it's good at that.

If you want NEW stuff, stuff no one's ever seen, stuff that CAN become pop culture icons...you'll still need People.

It's gonna kill creativity? I disagree, it's gonna free up people to do actually creative things, and there will be a market cuz the non-creative stuff is now automated.

• Options
    Dall-E is really only good at pop culture. Things that are literally Cultural DNA at this point. If you want Darth Vader shopping in a Wal-Mart 2023, Colorized, it's good at that.

If you want NEW stuff, stuff no one's ever seen, stuff that CAN become pop culture icons...you'll still need People.

It's gonna kill creativity? I disagree, it's gonna free up people to do actually creative things, and there will be a market cuz the non-creative stuff is now automated.

I'm not sure I believe that. A lot of people who do the actually creative things fund it with jobs that are the non-creative regurgitated corporate art stuff. Actual Creative Things isn't exactly a lucrative market.

• Options
    OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    edited June 2022
    Yeah the "creative" jobs don't automatically become more valuable and abundant due to declarative fiat. Devaluing/obsoleting non-creative occupations just creates economic displacement. It's about as elitist and tone deaf as telling blue collar workers to learn to code.

Overkillengine on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Here's the thing about AI generated art.

Have you seen AI generated art shared without the text prompt? Has anyone said, "look at this great art"?

Or have they said "Look how the magic box produces a good visual representation of this text I wrote, marvel at how close it gets to the text but ignore the stray giraffe"?

Context for the giraffe thing:

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Here's the thing about AI generated art.

Have you seen AI generated art shared without the text prompt? Has anyone said, "look at this great art"?

I think for the companies creating these AIs, they're not looking for "great art." They're looking for "corporate art", which is an entirely different giraffe.

• Options
    keepwatchingtheskieskeepwatchingtheskies Registered User regular
    If you ask a human to imagine a "3D rendered floor plan of a new york city apartment that contains absolutely no giraffes" they will most definitely also place giraffes there. They may not paint them in, but they will think of them! Now quick, imagine a 19th century classy living room that contains absolutely zero pink elephants...

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    “It’s terribly difficult to do this!” Miss Level moaned. “It’s like trying not to think of a pink rhinoceros!”
    “Well?” said Mistress Weatherwax. “What’s so special about not thinking of a pink rhinoceros?”
    “It’s impossible to think of one if someone tells you you mustn’t,” Tiffany explained.
    “No it ain’t,” said Mistress Weatherwax firmly. “I ain’t thinking of one right now, and I gives you my word on that.”
    “I’m clever enough to know how you manage not to think of a pink rhinoceros if someone says ‘pink rhinoceros,’” she managed to say aloud.
    “Ah, that’s deep magic, that is,” said Granny Weatherwax.
    “No. It’s not. You don’t know what a rhinoceros looks like, do you?”

Terry Pratchett, Hat Full of Sky

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    LtPowersLtPowers Registered User regular
    If you ask a human to imagine a "3D rendered floor plan of a new york city apartment that contains absolutely no giraffes" they will most definitely also place giraffes there. They may not paint them in, but they will think of them! Now quick, imagine a 19th century classy living room that contains absolutely zero pink elephants...

I've never understood this trope. I have no problem imagining either of these things. It's trivial, in fact.

Powers &8^]

• Options
    YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    LtPowers wrote: »

I've never understood this trope. I have no problem imagining either of these things. It's trivial, in fact.

Powers &8^]

No joke, do you have aphantasia? I do, so my idea of "imagine an apartment" at best conjures up a wireframe made of the faintest smoke. More the knowledge that it's there than anything like a visual. So the "no giraffe" is trivially easy for me.

• Options
    LtPowers wrote: »

Powers &8^]

The joke is more that, at some point in the instructions, your mind will picture a giraffe/elephant. Even if it's just as you are hearing the instruction. That's how brains work. Even if you have aphantasia, it will at least try to. The joke doesn't mean it's impossible to actually do the task.

And really, it's just an input problem in the case of DALL-E. As a programmer, I'd say using this as disproof of its abilities is like someone arguing that 3d games won't work because they forgot to put a collider on a wall in a level of Doom.